Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I never defended his ethics, just understood his choice.

Sorry I guess I misinterpreted the tone of your post. It kind of sounded like one of those people who think the rape charge is part of a conspiracy to extradite him to the US to face non-existent charges of espionage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This just made me realize that Hillary's correspondents' dinners are going to suck. :smith:

I mean I'm all for Hillary but I don't think anyone will say she's good at comic delivery.

She will just list the names of GOP members whose careers got destroyed in 2016, it'll be hilarious

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This just made me realize that Hillary's correspondents' dinners are going to suck. :smith:

I mean I'm all for Hillary but I don't think anyone will say she's good at comic delivery.

I've actually heard she is known for her dry wit quite a few times but rarely displays it in public because, well, sexism.

Like her Between Two Ferns appearance was pretty funny so I think I believe it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Morroque posted:

While it's not a bad theory, I feel like it's mixing up the causalities a bit. The assumptions about deplorables you're making wouldn't have been possible back when those major Wikileaks projects were ongoing. The logic makes sense in a Post-Trump world, but not a Pre-Trump one. The collateral murder video was published in 2010, and the Tea Party was just getting off the ground. These events become related after the fact, but not during it.

That said, if all their good material really was from Chelsea Manning and the rest was just a front disguising as a new age news org, then she was best gift Wikileaks could've asked for. I just think it's a shame they are disrespecting her legacy like this by being such an obvious front. It's like she never even existed to them, after all she did for them. (Then again, the Washington Post hasn't exactly fared any better with Snowden...)

Oh I'm not saying deplorables as they are today (or even the proto-deplorables from the tea party) are the same people who were feeding off WTC7 and AJ in the mid 2000s, but that those people were the original hardcore audience for Wikileaks once it came into being. They glommed on to Wikileaks while it reached beyond their world of tinfoil hattery, but yeah it wasn't until after the fact (hell it almost wasn't until Trump came along, though I think Ronpaul and Randpaul were sort of onramps) that they linked up into one "Hillary's career is a scary thing" zeitgeist.

I've just assumed that those core believers have always tended toward anti-Semitism, isolationism, and the gold standard and as such were perfect marks for anyone willing to make poo poo up about someone whose been in politics for almost 50 years. As far as I'm concerned it's not so much what kind of trash they are but the fact that they're trash to begin with. It's a red flag, risk factor, what have you. Just like serial entrepreneurship is a risk indicator for kiting and fraud victimization in banking. People who think they can get rich quick will think they can, well, get rich quick.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shes' going to let Trump do the WHCD to simultaneously send the right wing into a furious rage that he WAS a plant, they knew it all along, and also to torment the press as is her driving passion in life

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I wonder if the clinton campaign fired their zinger-smith after "Trumped-up Trickle-down" failed to land

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Does Charles Krauthammer have some kind of agreement with RCP? I always see that dude in the right column with them quoting some some fresh bullshit he's giving out to anyone who wants it. Which is apparently RCP.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't know about you but I want a You're Hired president as long as they don't hire anyone I don't like.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It looks like a boot, stamping on a deplorable face

Forever

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

lozzle posted:

Sorry I guess I misinterpreted the tone of your post. It kind of sounded like one of those people who think the rape charge is part of a conspiracy to extradite him to the US to face non-existent charges of espionage.

After what they did to manning, can you blame him though?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Ron Jeremy posted:

Manning was a member of the US Military so she was put in military prison. There is literally no way for Assange to receive the same treatment even if the US were actually going after him.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So 2016 has been a pretty lovely year. I hope you Amuricans don't vote for orange hair guy but rather vote the first woman president and also a few more states legalize weed, that would be great. Thanks.
The world is watching you. This is still pretty loving scary to be honest.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ron Jeremy posted:

Whether Julian Assange could even be charged with espionage is an open question but the fact remains that he has not been charged . Furthermore, even if he was charged it's very likely that Sweden would not extradite him as the extradition treaty does not cover "political crimes."

On the other hand, while Manning has been severely mistreated, there is no doubt that she did in fact commit a crime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Le0 posted:

So 2016 has been a pretty lovely year. I hope you Amuricans don't vote for orange hair guy but rather vote the first woman president and also a few more states legalize weed, that would be great. Thanks.
Trump is currently down by 14 points in the latest national poll. (Not to be confused with "Trump is down with the Fourteen Words," though that is also true.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Manning was a member of the US Military so she was put in military prison. There is literally no way for Assange to receive the same treatment even if the US were actually going after him.
Uh, supermax?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Le0 posted:

Well you certainly can't be British because there's probably a lot of Brits cursing America for leaving them with the title of "the loving stupidest vote outcome, 2016" as the year comes to an end.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I personally look forward to Hillary making GBS threads all over the media.

Also she doesn't have her current speeches written for comedy. I imagine a group of decent comedians working with her both for coaching and writing to get her to passable levels. We all knew we were spoiled by Obama, if Hillary isn't a funny or compelling public speaker it isn't the end of the world.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

FAUXTON posted:

Well you certainly can't be British because there's probably a lot of Brits cursing America for leaving them with the title of "the loving stupidest vote outcome, 2016" as the year comes to an end.

Alternatively he is British but simply doesn't want to see the world explode. :v:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

lozzle posted:

Whether Julian Assange could even be charged with espionage is an open question but the fact remains that he has not been charged . Furthermore, even if he was charged it's very likely that Sweden would not extradite him as the extradition treaty does not cover "political crimes."

On the other hand, while Manning has been severely mistreated, there is no doubt that she did in fact commit a crime.

Iirc, he's asked for an assurance not to be extradited to the US and Sweden has refused.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ron Jeremy posted:

Iirc, he's asked for an assurance not to be extradited to the US and Sweden has refused.

Well he's not really in a position to bargain.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Just FYI it's in the thread title we've had for 11 days

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can they even legally give that kind of assurance in Sweden, especially since the US hasn't even requested it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

Can they even legally give that kind of assurance in Sweden, especially since the US hasn't even requested it.

Yeah, it's such a ridiculous request, I wonder how you even respond. "First, no, gently caress you. Second, we want to arrest and punish you, you shouldn't even be worrying about the US. Third, they don't even want you, and neither have nor ever will ask for you."

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why anybody thinks the Obama(or a Clinton) administration wouldn't have done everything they could to put Assange in some supermax solitary cell for the next several hundred years. Manning got the biggest sentence in the history of the Espionage Act, they clearly would have tried to outdo themselves with Assange.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So uh, I might have missed it but has anyone here watched the Frontline doc on Trump and Clinton after the fiasco with the tape and the second debate? Anyone remember the bit where they're talking about why Donnie does "counter-punching"? I'm not saying it's a completely revelatory thing, but I just think of idea of him sticking with that, of deny deny deny and bringing out whatever ammunition you can to mudsling, deny some more, and then claim victory despite everything pointing to the contrary, is really funny because

1) That's not really going to work when you're running for President and are under much more scrutiny and

2) That's SUPER not going to work when we live in an age when almost everyone has a computer and internet access in their pocket

I just think he's sticking to one tactic despite this and doesn't understand that it's not working. God. Wow. :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hey, Hillary can be funny! Her cameo here is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5BfT1_PYQ&t=119s

...I might have just wanted to repost that video. :ninja:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Hey, Hillary can be funny! Her cameo here is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5BfT1_PYQ&t=119s

This is the most 90s thing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
28 days until Donald Trump is humiliated more than he has been in his entire life

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Le0 posted:

As scary as that is , I'm mostly just pissed off because I know all the evil poo poo he's stirred up will not be going away anytime soon.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ghetto Prince posted:

As scary as that is , I'm mostly just pissed off because I know all the evil poo poo he's stirred up will not be going away anytime soon.

The evil poo poo was always there. :ssh:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
How likely is it that a GOP candidate in 2020 will emulate Trumpisms and probably win that Primary too? The GOP base seems to love the gently caress out of the Trump-Primary style and if that's what works to survive in the Primaries then that's what a few candidates will do.

I can imagine Christie and Cruz trying again and being 200% more bully.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's now been over 30 hours since the debate and the main story on CNN is about Trump threatening to retaliate if more tapes are released.

The media is clearly through with him. And it's clear that the debate did not change the media cycle to be about some comeback poo poo, it's still all about how terrible he is.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

A second double digit lead has hit the Trump (tweet says 45-37 but the poll is 45-35):

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/785749659742531584

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I think we've found the guy to blame for all this email poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Anidav posted:

How likely is it that a GOP candidate in 2020 will emulate Trumpisms and probably win that Primary too? The GOP base seems to love the gently caress out of the Trump-Primary style and if that's what works to survive in the Primaries then that's what a few candidates will do.

So you're telling me they're going to act like cheap imitations of a man who, while a grade-A rear end in a top hat, has been refining his stupid tough guy persona for decades - and who will have lost, probably with substantial and potentially historically devastating margins, to their designated ancient foe, Hillary Clinton - while appealing to a target audience which will have shrunk palpably due to death and decay in that interim - and I'm supposed to be afraid of that?

Like that's what this seems to be coming down to - fear that someone will cheaply imitate an rear end in a top hat appealing to a diminishing electoral base, and will, somehow, succeed in so doing.

That said I do think we're going to see a lot more "plain spoken" "straight talking" people after this one, since between Trump and Bernie it's clear that there's some demand for that. But that's a rhetorical style thing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Maybe if she plans on hosting them, but why should she in a world where Samantha Bee exists?

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Not sure if this has come up here, but Trump predicted his comments on woman would be bad when campaigning back in 1993 while in New Zealand...

"I think women are beautiful – I think certain women are more beautiful than others, to be perfectly honest - and it is fortunate that I don’t have to run for political office."

http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/donald-trump-nz-tape-reveals-sexist-comments-he-made-in-1993-2016101010

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Andrast posted:

The lawyers at Amnesty International seem to believe they can

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nessus posted:

That said I do think we're going to see a lot more "plain spoken" "straight talking" people after this one, since between Trump and Bernie it's clear that there's some demand for that. But that's a rhetorical style thing.

I don't know if it's so much a rhetorical style thing as just that the US is ripe for populism on both ends. It's not been hard to tell that a populist campaign on either end would be wildly popular, make for incredible sound-bites, and be absolutely impossible to implement in any meaningful way if elected. I guess it is rhetorical in the sense that implementing a wide platform of populist policies is so untenable in the current climate that it's totally abstract to argue for. That said, this country has strayed so far from implementing anything popular (much less populist) that both parties need to start actually implementing actual popular policy just so voters feel like they're getting something.

E: Actually re the first part of that post: yeah the GOP in it's current form is dead. It is transitioning to a party for open and closeted white nationalist men, but that's not enough to win any national elections anymore. Prob not this year and definitely not in 2020 on. What the gently caress they're going to do to become a viable party again is really anyones' guess. By nature, welcoming white supremacists into your tent precludes you from branching out into other needed demographics.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Anidav posted:

Sarah Palin was certainly the prototype for this modern type of know-nothing 'leadership'. I hope the Bush family personally thanks John McCain for introducing her into national politics...

The fact that it was members of the Utah delegation that were the first to pull their Trump endorsements shouldn't be overlooked. If there's any salvaging the Republican party's tone and candor, it'll be coming from there. Too bad Romney held such terrible positions.

• Locked thread