Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
none of those heroes are "cancer"

hanzo is the only legit terrible design in the game and even then all they'd really have to do is replace scatter arrow with something that isn't retarded and roll back the hitbox change again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dva's pretty good at getting cracked open like a tin can and brained with an icicle

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Troposphere posted:

dva is ok for a counterpick imo because you can distract her long enough for her to kill your mech and then as soon as you're out get some distance and melt her with your pistol

As someone who's played a fair bit of D.Va this is honestly pretty terrible advice. "Go distract someone by getting your mech wrecked by them and then hope Mei doesn't one-hit headshot your 150 point pilot form" is really bad play. D.Va struggles to kill Mei off before she either iceblocks/walls up, can't negate her M1, and generally becomes a big easy target for the rest of Mei's team in the process, and if your goal is to kill Mei at range (a good decision all things considered) you'd be better served simply switching to Pharah and doing it that way with the added benefit of not being in the one-shot-kill health range. Zarya is a vastly better tank to pick against Mei since her barriers negate the slowing effect of both Mei's M1 and her ult, when your charge is high enough your M1 can kill her quickly from a respectable range, and Mei's high damage output can be made to work against her when you're building charge off it.

edit; also another reason the "facetank Mei with your mech" strategy is bad is because it feeds Mei a ton of ult off you giving her easy headshots against your huge headbox, which means she gets to toss out a Blizzard that much sooner.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 11, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Kai Tave posted:

As someone who's played a fair bit of D.Va this is honestly pretty terrible advice. "Go distract someone by getting your mech wrecked by them and then hope Mei doesn't one-hit headshot your 150 point pilot form" is really bad play. D.Va struggles to kill Mei off before she either iceblocks/walls up, can't negate her M1, and generally becomes a big easy target for the rest of Mei's team in the process, and if your goal is to kill Mei at range (a good decision all things considered) you'd be better served simply switching to Pharah and doing it that way with the added benefit of not being in the one-shot-kill health range. Zarya is a vastly better tank to pick against Mei since her barriers negate the slowing effect of both Mei's M1 and her ult, when your charge is high enough your M1 can kill her quickly from a respectable range, and Mei's high damage output can be made to work against her when you're building charge off it.

listen I have a widowmaker av I never said I was a brilliant strategist

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I am guessing the reason for this is Rein's shield does not protect from the bomb in reverse, i.e. if you are in front of the shield and bomb is behind?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zenyatta putting his balls on Mei is a pretty good counter. Just inform your team politely that you've discorded the Mei, and by politely I mean yell that poo poo at the top of your loving lungs several times so that their ears can hear it through the thick musculature of the lower digestive tract.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
A fun dva tactic against mei is when you see a friendly get frozen just go up and chomp the icicle with defence matrix. Your team mate will thaw and kill her.

Same with hooked people as well. Dvas defence matrix is real good and fun.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Speaking of Mei, two incidents from last night's play stand out.

The first was on defense on Route 66 where some bright spark pipes up "EVRY1 GO MEI!" and the rest of the team went "YE MEI IS BAE" and changed. I said "No" and picked Lucio. Cue literally spawn trapping the enemy team with walls (and I mean trapping them, not just killing them as they came out, but literally keeping them locked inside). We ran it down to 1 minute left like that and then they broke out but had no chance of getting to the first checkpoint. So I was wrong to doubt.

Then of course there was the Mei who, after an extremely hard-fought defense on Dorado, right on the final checkpoint when the enemy team had been in OT for at least 30 seconds, watched from the payload as a Dva sent her ult flying into the door leading to the spawn, and put a wall across it to protect himself. Trapping 4 of the team who were running back from spawn in with it, futilely banging our fists on the ice. And then died immediately to the enemy push that we would have held quite nicely if we'd been able to get out, giving them the cap.

Mei cuts both ways.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Robiben posted:

A fun dva tactic against mei is when you see a friendly get frozen just go up and chomp the icicle with defence matrix. Your team mate will thaw and kill her.

I like booping them as Lucio. Like 90% of meis will stand completely still to line up their icicle, and that little boop is usually enough time for them to thaw out.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Mei isn't overpowered, agreed. Luckily, that's not what I claimed, so I don't have to argue about it!

I'll take a stealth hero if you delete Widow, Hanzo and Mei from the game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Uh Hanzo rules. I understand it can be frustrating to get oneshot by arrow spam but if Hanzo is doing that you'll probably win the game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/OverwatchGG/status/785737105964171264

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Finally a good Junkrat skin.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's been long enough since I've been walled into my own spawn by Mei, and, that I've played with her on my team in practically every match since the end of season one, that I don't hate Mei anymore. Other than attack Symmetra, at my level it's still generally the character that it's most rare to find someone who has a positive impact on the outcome of the game (even the frequency of the ults is mitigated by how rarely they result in more than one elimination in the low tiers) but since both teams almost always have one it sort of cancels out.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Servers down for anyone else?

E: Issue affecting login servers confirmed. Dunno whether it's another DDoS or what.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 11, 2016

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
D.Va is decent against Mei, because it forces the Mei to actually consider more than just a binary "are there more than 3 people standing together? Y/N" when she uses her ult.
1v1, Mei can beat or outlast anyone, which is why you should avoid trying to 1v1 her.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

No one's mentioned that Defense matrix gobbles up tiny blizzardbots (and gravity bombs, tracer bombs, concussion mines.... yadda yadda. Matrix is one of the best shutdown skills in the game).

I find DVa into Mei is fine as long as you know WTF and don't try to 1v1 Mei. As already mentioned, matrixing her followup shot after freezing your buddy usually ends with Mei dying instead.

Also, Ulting next to cocoon Mei is the funniest thing you can do in the game.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Is there any actual argument for KoTH being 5 rounds anymore

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

We are expecting the Halloween event to start today, right?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Mei is actually cool and great. If anyone on the enemy team is out of position, she is ridiculous but even if the enemy team is grouped up you can make some silly plays with good ice walls. I've started using the wall as a high ground tactic for myself and other teammates, whether they want to or not, and I've had a hell of a lot of success and many more blizzards.

RCarr posted:

2PM EST

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

So uhh

Overwatch Fans Hacked Actual People In An Attempt To Find Sombra

quote:

“We had nothing to do with that,” Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan wrote on the Battle.Net message board. "Please do not email that address or try to log into that account. It’s not related to any of the Sombra hints."

Kaplan should have gone with video for this. Imagine him using that polite and patient cadence to tell players that no, getting our account security hacked was not an intended part of our ARG.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 11, 2016

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

RCarr posted:

Based on the leaked website information, yes.

A 1.7GB update is expected at 2pm ET, which I guess is when the event begins.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

none of those heroes are "cancer"

hanzo is the only legit terrible design in the game and even then all they'd really have to do is replace scatter arrow with something that isn't retarded and roll back the hitbox change again

There are quite a few poorly designed heroes in the game, but the only one that I would outright delete is Widowmaker. Terrible design, terrible implementation, doesn't fit anywhere in the game, is not fun for either team and has a terrible and uninteresting backstory. Literally her only asset is her butt.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i would not delete any heroes

i would think about deleting tracer but then that would make drythe sad, and i don't want that

and then i would delete mei

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I was inspired to play some Mei for the first time tonight by this conversation.

She is very, very, annoying. So very annoying. The capacity to gently caress with people is pretty much unparalleled. All I could think while watching Genjis bounce around futilely as they slowed down in mid-air and turned into statues was "... this feels really good, but those people will be hating me with a white-hot intensity right now."

And the ults come so. Goddamn. Fast.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I'm slightly puzzled by the decision to give wallhacks to the two heroes that can instakill-headshot most heroes.
Playing vs a team with both Hanso and Widow is just horribly unfun when both snipers can capitalize off of each others X-ray vision. Playing "stealthily" just isn't much of a thing in this game.

It would make sense to me that one hero supplied the "recon" that a sniper-hero could use, since that would require some coordination and teamwork.
But I guess a sniper kind of "has" to be an equally good pick as any other hero, so Blizz just made them single player heroes that doesnt require you having to play close to the team at all.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SadisTech posted:

I was inspired to play some Mei for the first time tonight by this conversation.

She is very, very, annoying. So very annoying. The capacity to gently caress with people is pretty much unparalleled. All I could think while watching Genjis bounce around futilely as they slowed down in mid-air and turned into statues was "... this feels really good, but those people will be hating me with a white-hot intensity right now."

And the ults come so. Goddamn. Fast.

Mei is a short-range punisher, if opponents are getting that close to you and they aren't in a deathball, then they deserve to be frozen.

That being said, it's better if you play Mei like a Hanzo and just snipe from range, while having the added utility of splitting up deathballs and freezing over Hell every minute and a half.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Mei owns because if someone is out of position, you have M1 and ice wall to isolate and punish them, but if people stay grouped up and deathball you have M2 and your ult to make their lives terrible constantly.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Foxhound posted:

There are quite a few poorly designed heroes in the game, but the only one that I would outright delete is Widowmaker. Terrible design, terrible implementation, doesn't fit anywhere in the game, is not fun for either team and has a terrible and uninteresting backstory. Literally her only asset is her butt.

how dare you

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Troposphere posted:

how dare you

prove any of those statements wrong. i dare you

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Foxhound posted:

prove any of those statements wrong. i dare you

she may be terrible but she's my wife and she's trying her best

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
*a single tear rolls down widow's cheek* hon hon hon sacre bleu

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Foxhound posted:

But what a butt!

Also her backstory is no worse than anybody else's in the game. Future Desert Cowboy? Skull Mask Smoke Man? Harambe from the Moon? It's poo poo all the way down.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
when ah was a leetle gahl ah had a fear of spidaaahhhs

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If you have Mei problems I feel bad for you, son. Junkrat has 99 problems but fuckin trap that bitch's ice block and blow her up the second she gets out of it. It's great when pubs get salty about it, too.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If you have Mei problems I feel bad for you, son. Junkrat has 99 problems but fuckin trap that bitch's ice block and blow her up the second she gets out of it. It's great when pubs get salty about it, too.

if you're a bad mei who takes the ice block all the way to completion and make yourself obvious you deserve your death

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Is there a way to know if you are currently in the AOE of Hanzo's wallhack arrow?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Junkrat gets a drat Tesla wheel. This is going to be the best event.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Troposphere posted:

she may be terrible but she's my wife and she's trying her best

I don't think being Widowmaker's husbando is very good for your health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ragequit posted:

Junkrat gets a drat Tesla wheel. This is going to be the best event.

I mean, he looks like Mad Scientist Doc Brown, so it is inherently a good skin.

I'm probably the sad sack who's going to buy boxes until I unlock him. Hope there's some other good skins/emotes/highlight reels mixed in with the others.