Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is Sherlock the show everyone likes Cumberbatch in? I watched the first "episode" and thought it was pretty good but I was really disappointed by the resolution of the mystery.

I've only seen one episode of Sherlock, and it was the one where it turns out the villain was also really good at remembering things and had blackmail on everyone in his head and was about to gently caress someone over somehow, and the solution to the problem was Sherlock just shooting the dude in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well that was the season 3 (can you even call 3 episodes a season?) finale and had a lot of build up to it but yeah it's a neat quirky show that you really shouldn't put much thought into. In fact, they made fun of that in the S3 premiere.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CelticPredator posted:

You monster.

Zoolander 2 is aggressively bad and one of the worst things since Dumb and Dumber 2.

Dumb and dumber was bad for sure, but that scene where the hitman got killed by the train was loving brilliant and could have come straight from the first movie.

But yeah Zoolander 2 was irredeemably poo poo,one of the worst movies I've seen in many years.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUo4GQsnkHc
Some new footage of Dr. Strange in this little featurette

I am eating magic mushrooms before seeing this...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

RBA Starblade posted:

I've only seen one episode of Sherlock, and it was the one where it turns out the villain was also really good at remembering things and had blackmail on everyone in his head and was about to gently caress someone over somehow, and the solution to the problem was Sherlock just shooting the dude in the head.

That was Series 3 and it just kind of sucked in comparison to Series 2.

Unfortunately in order to write clever Sherlock Holmes stories, the author has to be a clever person, and while Moffat and Gatiss are creative showrunners they don't really qualify as "clever."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lady Naga posted:

Wait why are you simultaneously insulting me and trying to get me to engage with you? Those seem like contradictory goals.
Because it would be rude to insult and run. :colbert:

I wanted to express my immediate disdain at your mentioning the reasons to dislike the dude, as the only quotes of his I'm aware of amounted to "I'm not sure you should be transferring/projecting your particular issues onto the characters that I play." And then if you had mentioned others that I wasn't aware of and were more valid, then I could apologize and continue on my way talking about the billions of dollars worth of SUV destruction that will likely occur in Dr Strange.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Drifter posted:

Because it would be rude to insult and run. :colbert:

I wanted to express my immediate disdain at your mentioning the reasons to dislike the dude, as the only quotes of his I'm aware of amounted to "I'm not sure you should be transferring/projecting your particular issues onto the characters that I play." And then if you had mentioned others that I wasn't aware of and were more valid, then I could apologize and continue on my way talking about the billions of dollars worth of SUV destruction that will likely occur in Dr Strange.

strange goes to the car dimension, infinite fractal cars colliding in the space between other cars that are also colliding in eye-watering 3d

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I hope an 18 wheeler crashes really hard and does that thing from Matrix Reloaded where it smooshes and gets all wavy

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Rasa posted:

I kind of hate no one caught onto Inhumanoids. An 80s kid show meant to sell toys but anyone who saw it as a kid knows it was Hasbro's masterpiece. Like GI Joe/etc. all had monsters in them at points but this show was literally baby's first Cthulhu mythos with all the monsters in it coming from underground and being crazy. One of the monsters, Tendril, is literally Cthulhu, like word for word a green blobby dude with tentacles that stumbles around like the show creators were specifically like "no none of that wings stuff he has to look like Lovecraft's original description of him ONLY."stuff so watch that. INHUMANOIDS!

I have the huge 18 inch Tendrill action figure in my garage in the (very worn) original packaging.

Inhumanoids was great, and it freaked me out when I was a kid. However I haven't seen it in 30 years so I'm not sure it holds up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neo Rasa posted:

I kind of hate no one caught onto Inhumanoids. An 80s kid show meant to sell toys but anyone who saw it as a kid knows it was Hasbro's masterpiece. Like GI Joe/etc. all had monsters in them at points but this show was literally baby's first Cthulhu mythos with all the monsters in it coming from underground and being crazy. One of the monsters, Tendril, is literally Cthulhu, like word for word a green blobby dude with tentacles that stumbles around like the show creators were specifically like "no none of that wings stuff he has to look like Lovecraft's original description of him ONLY." It was also crazy violent and bizarre in weird ways at the time since a lot of the characters were huge monsters they'd occasionally do stuff like have their limbs graphically get cut off and get impaled and such.

Wings are explicitly mentioned in The Call of Cthulhu. :colbert:

quote:

It represented a monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind. This thing, which seemed instinct with a fearsome and unnatural malignancy, was of a somewhat bloated corpulence, and squatted evilly on a rectangular block or pedestal covered with undecipherable characters. The tips of the wings touched the back edge of the block, the seat occupied the centre, whilst the long, curved claws of the doubled-up, crouching hind legs gripped the front edge and extended a quarter of the way down toward the bottom of the pedestal. The cephalopod head was bent forward, so that the ends of the facial feelers brushed the backs of huge fore paws which clasped the croucher’s elevated knees. The aspect of the whole was abnormally life-like, and the more subtly fearful because its source was so totally unknown. Its vast, awesome, and incalculable age was unmistakable; yet not one link did it shew with any known type of art belonging to civilisation’s youth—or indeed to any other time.

and also present in Lovecraft's own sketch of him:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I want a dark and gritty reboot of Super Samurai Pizza Cats.

I would also accept a Guillermo Del Toro directed live-action Street Sharks.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 11, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

I kind of hate no one caught onto Inhumanoids.

For years, and well into my adult life I've had nightmares about these monsters. When I was a child, a friend had these toys, and I only saw clips of the show. But I never knew the name or where it came from until just a few months ago when I saw the clips of the show in the nostalgia thread.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Zoolander 2 was good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gatts posted:

Zoolander 2 was good.

Yikes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gatts posted:

Zoolander 2 was good.

Ban this sick filth.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gatts posted:

Zoolander 2 was good.

What did you like about it?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Always going to agree with this. Stranger Things was 8 episodes and it felt perfect
That had the marvel second half drop off for me. I guess not totally loving stranger things is blasphemy these days but it really really didn't live up to the hype for me.
Never actually watched a marvel show though. I was ready to go all in on Luke Cage but some of the stuff I've heard is disappointing.
also yeah Iron Fist looks like a generic dorky white dude and his beard game is weak af. I'm all in on Devil Weaver tho

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wings are explicitly mentioned in The Call of Cthulhu.

Sorry I worded that like a dumbass. :haw: I meant that it was more like how Cthulhu's described in Lovecraft's stuff by being gelatinous and sort of stumbling around thrashing aimlessly compared to how he's sometimes depicted now. Speaking of Inhumanoids and wings though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmKqovXOr9E

TetsuoTW posted:

There was definitely talk around when Ant-Man was released that the stuff when he gets super-super-oh-poo poo tiny would share some visual connection to Doctor Strange, at least IIRC.

I remember this now. Hopefully they didn't change their minds because that could be really cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Dumb and dumber was bad for sure, but that scene where the hitman got killed by the train was loving brilliant and could have come straight from the first movie.

That's why I hated it because it basically did. They didn't do anything new. Just repeated the same poo poo from the first one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Those guys just aren't getting any smarter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Some new comic tidbits out today:

- Dr. Strange has over an hour of Imax footage. Roughly 60% of the movie is shot in Imax. So it might be worth it to get an Imax ticket.

- Gal Gadot says that there will not be a huge amount of action in Wonder Woman. They want to shoot a "heroic and epic drama" that involves love and character interactions. There will be at least an opening battle and a conflict at the climax. She also stressed a new more upbeat tone for the DCCU.

- Captain Marvel is confirmed to be an origin story and will be structured in a way similar to Ant-Man. She will also be in Infinity War, but might not have powers yet.

- Kevin Feige says that they had plans for Blade, but that currently there are "no immediate plans" for Blade. They are going to do something with him in the future. Feige says his own Netflix show or a MCU reboot are the most likely options, but neither of them will happen for at least 2 years.

- He hasn't been announced at all and it might just be a teaser, but Dormammu is in Dr. Strange from the 15-minute preview they released. His symbol appears in a book Strange uses and his face appears in a flame that the villain gazes into.

- Logan is based on Old Man Logan, but only loosely. It won't be post-apocalyptic.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 11, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

That's why I hated it because it basically did. They didn't do anything new. Just repeated the same poo poo from the first one.

Oh I know what you mean, just meant that it was one of the few scenes that felt good like the original.

Comic book poo poo : Luke cage was ok I guess, I feel like they didn't go far enough at all with the kind of blaxpoitation stuff and the guy who plays luke is loving boring,cottonmouth was poo poo but diamondback was just what the show needed, a real dose of crazy fun evil bad guy,was anyone else expecting the big reveal to be that he had ironman armour? also the woman who plays maria stole every goddamn scene she was in.
Shame there was no daredevil cameo, I wanted one in Jessica jones too :ohdear:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

was anyone else expecting the big reveal to be that he had ironman armour?

Yes, the power glove gave it away. The suit also looked really silly.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was expecting more to come from Mariah's early offhand mention of drowning/crushing/poisoning Luke. Some kind of elaborate trap or something. The context of the final street brawl was cool, but the fight itself was just more punching like Daredevil S1's ending, wasn't super memorable compared to earlier moments like blocking the SUV with his body and punching through the side of the van they were trapped in.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yes, the power glove gave it away. The suit also looked really silly.

Was it hammer tech? Cause I guess hammer's a shittier version of stark so it kinda makes sense,but yeah a little silly.

And when luke got shot into the garbage truck I was like "oh my god are they really going to suck the exploded magnets out of him with a giant crane magnet? then he just staggered around like a dick for a bit and it wasn't so great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Electromax posted:

I was expecting more to come from Mariah's early offhand mention of drowning/crushing/poisoning Luke. Some kind of elaborate trap or something.
I understand the narrative purpose it served, but it was still annoying to me that this is the story of Luke Cage, bulletproof guy, and then a recurring plot point is super-bullets that can kill Luke Cage.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I really liked the suit. It looked straight out of a comic book and further separated Luke and Diamondback. Luke is a man given super powers that doesn't want to stand out, he just wants to quietly help people. When he throws out the comic attire I laughed for a good while

Diamondback wants attention, fear and through that respect. Putting on wrath gave him all that plus Luke's powers.

Plus it looked fly as hell.

Sucka.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Halloween Jack posted:

I understand the narrative purpose it served, but it was still annoying to me that this is the story of Luke Cage, bulletproof guy, and then a recurring plot point is super-bullets that can kill Luke Cage.

Luke Cage: The World is Not Ready for a Bulletproof Black Man

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Halloween Jack posted:

It's completely insane, especially given a conversation two villains have where one is like "have you tried drowning him? what about poison? can you think for even two loving seconds"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wish they kept his skin durability immeasurable too but I know they had to prevent us from asking of the obvious question of "Why don't the Avengers just ask hire Luke Cage to choke Thanos out?"

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually whats stupid is why the gently caress didn't those exist before Luke Cage? The invasion of New York should have kickstarted super-bullet research into high gear, plus the Hulk has existed for a while, furthering the need for more super bullets in order to try (but always fail) to stop this rage monster that causes more damage than 3 hurricanes and an earthquake everywhere he goes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

I wish they kept his skin durability immeasurable too but I know they had to prevent us from asking of the obvious question of "Why don't the Avengers just ask hire Luke Cage to choke Thanos out?"

Obvious answer

Durability does not mean unlimited strength. More over, if he can't touch the fucker, nothing a man can do with his bare hands.

But no let's just degrade his only super power so that it's utterly pointless

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

Obvious answer

Durability does not mean unlimited strength. More over, if he can't touch the fucker, nothing a man can do with his bare hands.

Why can't he touch him, is Thanos' clothing/skin super slippery or something? :P

Now I'm actually really curious to see how they plan on handling all the competing abilities and strengths if they throw a ton of characters into Infinity War compared to the comics. Like in the comics Gamora or Drax have laid Thanos out several times but in the movie they made even just Ronan have god-like physical strength even without the gem which was really weird.

Like that scene where he almost kills Drax, the story would have played out the exact same way if Ronan fought him to a stalemate or even if he had to retreat with his tail in his legs from Drax because his folks got the gem by that point anyway. But they didn't so are some Kree basically almost as strong as the Hulk and some are just normal humans? Was Ronan super strong because he does a ritual where he bathes in the blood of folks he just executed like we saw in the beginning?

I forget I know interaction between Netflix Marvel and MCU is limited but does MCU and Agents of Shield interact? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how in Agents of Shield they started rolling with the "Serpent Society" story they joked with for Civil War wherein IIRC Hydra is not Nazis but actually dudes that worship an old snake monster/Cthulhu wannabe. Did they really take the show in that direction?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neo Rasa posted:

Now I'm actually really curious to see how they plan on handling all the competing abilities and strengths if they throw a ton of characters into Infinity War compared to the comics. Like in the comics Gamora or Drax have laid Thanos out several times but in the movie they made even just Ronan have god-like physical strength even without the gem which was really weird.

Thanos will probably have a shitload of mooks for all the lesser characters to fight in big battle scenes and brief cuts.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Gal Gadot says that there will not be a huge amount of action in Wonder Woman. They want to shoot a "heroic and epic drama" that involves love and character interactions. There will be at least an opening battle and a conflict at the climax. She also stressed a new more upbeat tone for the DCCU.

My secret dream is that they keep saying this after every DCCU movie, but they keep getting darker and darker and darker. So after Justice League 2 where Wonder Woman snaps Maxwell Lord's head straight off and we get a bloody, gross adaptation of Blackest Night, Zack Snyder comes out and says "alright guys, we've heard you, this time it's gonna be lighter and more upbeat.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

I kind of hate no one caught onto Inhumanoids. *snip*

I'm this way but with Dino Riders and Exosquad.

Lady Naga posted:

Also Voltron is a cartoon on Netflix and it is Good.

Like the previous reboot, there is no Sven, therefore it is in fact bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I finally saw the ultimate cut of BvS. I agree with others that there are interesting parts but a lot of it is pretty extraneous.

Like for one example, showing Martha getting kidnapped detracts from the twist Lex tells Clark and doesn't really add anything that Lois getting kidnapped (et all) didn't already contribute.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm this way but with Dino Riders and Exosquad.

Like the previous reboot, there is no Sven, therefore it is in fact bad.

Sven is in it, they just named him Shiro like in the original GoLion stuff (Shirogane technically but :P ). Black outfit, gets captured but is too cool to give a gently caress and escapes, etc.

Dino Riders I have to admit I never got into as a kid, but EXO Squad I was totally obsessed with. That show is loving awesome. I rewatched the entire series again few years ago and was shocked at how well it holds up for, again, a show made to sell toys. There were only a couple of straight up bad episodes out of two seasons and the overall story arc was really really good for a kid's show.

Amazingly, the same people that did EXO Squad also did the hilariously inept and stupid (like even as a kid I knew) Highlander animated series. A franchise explicitly about decapitation that's now about people sword fighting kind of sort of and laser rifles and such. They gave the main guy a boomerang. Also amazingly there's a godawful Atari Jaguar CD game based on this cartoon.

However the Highlander cartoon DOES have many scenes of characters saying "FEEL MY QUICKENING!" as they bump swords togther causing white energy to shoot out of them!!!!!!!! L M A O

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 12, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Let's not forget that Emporer Zarkon can go one on one with a Lion. That was just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cythereal posted:

Thanos will probably have a shitload of mooks for all the lesser characters to fight in big battle scenes and brief cuts.

Yeah you can guarantee that Thanos will employ a bunch of people wearing helmets for our heroes to kill.

• Locked thread