Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

Did you not notice the word filter that existed on here for like 6 months that was just disabled...two?... weeks ago?

Yea, I got used to the word filter and just starting doing it automatically. It's like the Ted Cruz one.

To expand, Garbage People like DC because most of the heroes are straight white dudes, and women are all sexy, and you can jerk off to them. I doubt that's a large majority, but DC fanboys do defend the loving Joker Batgirl cover and Wonder Woman and Super Girls outfits to the death.

I would think there would be stores that would order 1k of a crappy title because they hope they can make their money back on the variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

This sounds like a business practice which greatly undermines small stores while only being feasible by the chain-stores. I hate business practices like that.

It's puzzling because there are like three retail entities remaining that would possibly order that level. Maybe four if you count Hastings but they're going down the shitter.

twistedmentat posted:

I would think there would be stores that would order 1k of a crappy title because they hope they can make their money back on the variant.

I don't think many if any will do it. You only get ONE copy and you still have to spend $1400 to get that single copy.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Endless Mike posted:

If you think that is uncanny valley, it's because you have no idea what "uncanny valley" means.

My understanding was that it was a when something designed to look like a human doesn't look quite like a human, to the point it's a little bit unsettling. It gets used a bit because much like Schrodinger's Cat, language changes an expression to take on a more generalist tone. Like the people who :spergin: out over the use of 'literally', it upsets some people if not 100% accurate

Waffleman_ posted:

*Sees a bad drawing*

Oh, uncanny valley!

*Sees a photograph*

Whoa, uncanny valley much?

*Sees a person on the street*

Aah! Uncanny valley, so creepy!

like this guy literally

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You mean the UGS Vol. 2 #1 cover?

No, it was a full page of marvel mocking their own trends they used examples of "More Superheroes using their real name." and "Evilvengers vs the Heroic Stilt-Man."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Now that i think about it gwenpool came from a variant I've never actually seen a physical copy of that i can remember lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

You mean the UGS Vol. 2 #1 cover?

This book isn't from 2012.

site posted:

Now that i think about it gwenpool came from a variant I've never actually seen a physical copy of that i can remember lol

From the Deadpool Secret Secret Wars mini series if memory serves. Part of the Gwen Stacy variant month except that Gwenpool is totally not Gwen Stacy haha are you crazy is that a Fox exec over there?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

In what universe does a store sell 1000 copies of a single comic, let alone one about a character who's fallen out of style like Venom.

Probably just those online stores that ship comics to people. That cover is the last page of Amazing Spider-Man #299, the first full image of Venom.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

From the Deadpool Secret Secret Wars mini series if memory serves. Part of the Gwen Stacy variant month except that Gwenpool is totally not Gwen Stacy haha are you crazy is that a Fox exec over there?

lol

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I know. From 'NOWer', I thought that might mean All-New NOW, which wasn't 2012, so remembered the one time they made fun of themselves and threw the date out the window.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

It's funny, but true enough. Fox knows Marvel wants the rights to the movies back, and they also know they'll come up with ways to get around them. It was like the whole Super-Boy drama over whether the modern character of Kon was the same character as Pre-crisis young Clark Kent Superboy. While it seems silly to ask the question (of course they aren't the same character) DC still went out of their way to kill off Kon in Infinity Crisis until such a time as the lawsuit was over and they could bring him back.

It's sort of this massive hilarious spiral of thought. If Gwen Stacy is Gwenpool, then Fox can use Gwenpool, which makes Gwenpool a Spiderman character, which means Marvel can't make movies about her. They can't argue she's a Deadpool character, because she has no relation to that franchise, where as Fox can argue that Gwen Stacy is definitely covered under the Spiderman license. So she's not Gwen Stacy as Deadpool she's Gwen... Poole! A completely original blond girl who we just so happened to introduce when we were introducing a tonne of Gwen Stacey's via variants and the like. NOT Gwen Stacy, ha!

It's funny to imagine very serious lawyers who probably spent a lot of money going to legal school arguing the intellectual rights of comic book characters.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Clawtopsy posted:

Yeah, the big Avengers scene with the train was quite nice, but then there's also:

Which just seems uncanny valley to me.

You could turn her mouth 180 degrees and it would look... slightly angrier?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

It's genius really. Use Gwenpool to turn Fox and Sony against eachother.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I found the NOWer

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

DCBS does on multiple books. Lone Star used to be an enormous chain and you can often split the order requirement across stores.

Oh, well that loophole sure makes it a lot less ludicrous.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Probably just those online stores that ship comics to people. That cover is the last page of Amazing Spider-Man #299, the first full image of Venom.

That one too. And yeah I recognize the pic.

Hickman.jpg

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 11, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Must confess, as someone who doesn't really read monthlies, the way series seem to stop and start so much puts me off a bit. You know, I'm reluctant about starting a series if it's not likely to have much in the way of longevity and it's just going to restart in a year. That said, I'm hardly a "new reader" in the sense I'm someone who doesn't read comics at all, so :shrug:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Would totes read a book about Spider-Storm and her X-vengers. Thing Jr is perfect in every way.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The Big Bang Comics guys were posting on Twitter that they did a big FOC cut on Champions at the last minute because it didn't seem to have much buzz or many preorders among their customers, and even then it only sold half of what they ordered. Lot of retailers seemed to be expressing similar sentiments. So that Bleeding Cool poll isn't a big surprise.

And for a more local anecdote, I was in my LCS today and asked the owner how it sold. He said they were selling 200-250 copies of the biggest Marvel books when when ANAD launched, but for Champions he had 14 pulls. Those all sold and he ordered another 20 for the wall. Most of them were still there after 5 days on sale. Cage and Jessica Jones did worse and he didn't even sell a dozen Death of X. It does sound like some of the Now books that launch in November and December will sell better, but for now it's pretty grim.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dunbar posted:

The Big Bang Comics guys were posting on Twitter that they did a big FOC cut on Champions at the last minute because it didn't seem to have much buzz or many preorders among their customers, and even then it only sold half of what they ordered. Lot of retailers seemed to be expressing similar sentiments. So that Bleeding Cool poll isn't a big surprise.

And for a more local anecdote, I was in my LCS today and asked the owner how it sold. He said they were selling 200-250 copies of the biggest Marvel books when when ANAD launched, but for Champions he had 14 pulls. Those all sold and he ordered another 20 for the wall. Most of them were still there after 5 days on sale. Cage and Jessica Jones did worse and he didn't even sell a dozen Death of X. It does sound like some of the Now books that launch in November and December will sell better, but for now it's pretty grim.

They've completely burned out the audience. I said it once and I'll say it again, Brevoort once said that "When the fans are angry, we're selling comics" With the addendum that they'd not seen anger turn to apathy. Where as doing something embraced by the fans leads to soft sales. There seems to have been a belief that comic book fans could sustain a rage that would ignite the sun. I have a different theory.

Comic fans, at least the ones who purchased because they were mad and cared? Are gone. They did finally just grow apathetic and left. Because ultimately, All New All Different, Now, Whatever Marvel was throwing out, it in fact, never changed. The new audience and, for the record, trying to expand comic books to reach a new audience is not a bad thing. But the thing is, they're trying to old tricks "Piss off the fans" on the new audience, and the new audience, which is still growing in, settling, finding a niche? the new audience doesn't particularly like being pissed off by this thing they were just starting to put money down on. People joke DC's the relaunch brand, but Marvels had more relaunches in the past 5 years than DC. More if we go 1 year deeper into Heroic Age. It's New 52 and Rebirth (with a smattering of DCYou) vs Heroic Age, the "Everything is Avengers" bullshit from AVX, ANAD, Marvel NOW and now Marvel NOWER.

Do not mistake Rebirth for coincidental. Marvel being on its knees sales wise was a calculated move. We'll see if it lasts, but DC's definitely opening the door for the lapsed comic fan and the fans burned by Marvel. And Marvel, given their event plan? Is not going to be winning them or their new fans back any time soon.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's kind of strange and cool to see people here talk about my LCS (Big Bang Comics). Yeah, their sales tweets are a really good look into the industry, but keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily represent how a book will do overall. It's very anecdotal. However, it is a popular store and as far as I'm aware it has a fairly representative customer base. However, because they do a lot of events and signings, you might find that certain creators sell a lot there.

Also Marvel has been pulling that variant stuff (order above this threshold for Book A to get a special variant for Completely Unrelated Book B) for years to boost sales on certain books.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It's interesting to learn about Champions low physical sales. Since I only buy digital comics. My initial impression was that it was selling very well so due to its place as the highest selling Marvel comic on the Comixology chart. Beaten only by TWD and DC's top tier books.

On a related subject Omni's post above rings true for me. I guess I'd be part of the "new audience".

I'm a massive Star Wars fan, but never read the older Dark Horse comics, but when Marvel started putting out their new Star Wars series I jumped right in.

I branched out to reading Silk and Spider-Gwen due to reading the positive reactions in this thread, but then Secret Wars occurred and I lost interest in the relaunched series. The time skip from the end of the world to 8 months later felt disjointed and interrupted the story arcs in motion.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Wheat Loaf posted:

Must confess, as someone who doesn't really read monthlies, the way series seem to stop and start so much puts me off a bit. You know, I'm reluctant about starting a series if it's not likely to have much in the way of longevity and it's just going to restart in a year. That said, I'm hardly a "new reader" in the sense I'm someone who doesn't read comics at all, so :shrug:

It's definitely a different experience from reading old comics. Working my way through MU back catalogue, I'm struck at how readable all the single issues are even when the language gets hokey. Every issue is a tiny adventure and you can pick it up and put it down as you like without missing much.

Modern comics all seem to suffer :lost: syndrome where every author is trying to build up a gigantic mystery to hook the audience with. Except now that everyone is doing it, it's boring.

Now every book that isn't a comedy is a similar smeary shade of weary brown and gray "story telling" with fast quips, 8 pages of reaction shots and nothing happening, and constant allusions to Big Conspiracies Behind the Scenes without making those conspiracies interesting and only having a Big Reveal in the second to last book that's supposed to be !!shocking!! and set up a movie blockbuster style fight. Out of all the books that ape this trend, Vision is the only one that stands out since it has an actual thesis to assert. The rest of the books I've been reading just meander throughout the trappings of serialized storytelling but the authors clearly have no idea what stories they want to tell and it shows in how slow everything feels. They have no clear ideas they're trying to communicate, they're just writing bad fanfiction.

:lost: style storytelling isn't shocking when everyone from the Punisher to the X-Men are doing it.

For example, I compare Soule's Daredevil to Waid's Daredevil, and while Soule finally seems to be settling into things, Waid knocked it out of the park in the first issue with quick action, solid, well told stories that had clear ideals and theses through out, vibrant characterization, and an overarching background plot that didn't overstay its welcome. (At least in the first arc.)

Meanwhile Soule is running purely on plot gimmicks and good art that's provided to him. That might be changing with the Inhuman stuff that's been introduced but I'm not counting on it.

I feel like this is indicative of Marvel's more serious books as a whole. The self contained adventures that played fast and loose with continuity and only aspired to be pulpy fun actually added to the longevity of each character and series, at least in my opinion. They were clear cut and concise, they were lithe story telling that got in and out with little fuss and without twisting characters and continuity around to fit into a preconceived paradigm. When I read old Daredevil or Spider-Man stories they almost read like little clockwork plots, like the authors wound up their toys and let them go where they wished, because their characters were strong enough to carry even the most absurd stories with sincerity.

No wonder people are getting burned out on stuff.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
While I loved Secret Wars, it did kill the momentum on a lot of books...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Has Waid's Avengers sold well? I'm still time-displaced by reading Unlimited but the opening arc wasn't that great and then we're thrown into some crossover, so, would it be possible that it just didn't sell too well afterwards and that the New #1 bump is virtually gone?

All the new all different NOWest relaunches seem to be running the well dry at this point, so I hope this one ends up calming them down and rethink their strategy. Along with that BS with Variants when DC is doing all their effort to appeal to retail.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

It's definitely a different experience from reading old comics. Working my way through MU back catalogue, I'm struck at how readable all the single issues are even when the language gets hokey. Every issue is a tiny adventure and you can pick it up and put it down as you like without missing much.

I guess it's because that was just easier for Lee and Kirby and Ditko and the rest to plot it that way when they had to do something like 20 comics a month between them in the 1960s, then in the 1970s they kept doing it that way because there was no incentive to change, then when you got guys like Claremont coming in and doing longer stories with more foreshadowing and callbacks, it was coincident with Shooter as editor-in-chief maintaining this strict rule that every individual issue - even those which were part of a larger arc - had to function as a story in its own right introducing and resolving its own conflict.

I'm not sure when (to use your own description of it) :lost: style storytelling came into vogue - I know people will point to Bendis but I feel like it must surely have predated him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Has Waid's Avengers sold well? I'm still time-displaced by reading Unlimited but the opening arc wasn't that great and then we're thrown into some crossover, so, would it be possible that it just didn't sell too well afterwards and that the New #1 bump is virtually gone?
#1 sold 128k, #2 was nearly half that at 67k (this isn't an uncommon #2 drop), 3-4 sold 57k, 5-9 hovered between 51k-52k, 10-12 dropped to 45k-46k, and that's the latest we have. Altogether not bad sales by any stretch, but it hasn't found its level just yet, and probably not the breakout hit Marvel was hoping for.

Usual disclaimer about nonreturnable/reprints/digital/etc. apply here, of course.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Neurosis posted:

it's alright buddy. when hickman dropped an eco bomb on perth, australia i had the same reaction to the street they showed. well, not really, i didn't care.

Amadeus Cho was supposed to live in Tucson and one time they showed him at a bus stop downtown that I was really surprised how accurate it was. Other than that though it was either generic town or even worse, Saharan desert.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 11, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's probably something to the idea that there are only so many readers to go around, or at least readers who are still willing to buy single issues of comics at any price point, and a not-insignificant number of those readers were looking at Marvel due to DC being a dumpster fire until relatively recently.

With DC righting its ship somewhat and Marvel causing massive event fatigue, it's understandable that the pendulum would swing back the other way. Marvel would probably do well to rip off the Atomic Robo model at this point: no or few ongoing series, but a lot of one- to five-year runs with specific stories and creative teams. It should have tipped them off that they were causing problems when Chip Zdarsky was making fun of them and himself for having two #1 issues in a single year of Howard the Duck.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

On the other hand, Champions, Death of X, and Jessica Jones all breached the Top 10 on comixology. I'm going to guess that a not insignificant portion of Marvel's audience now buys digitally and/or in trades instead of everybody just abandoning them for DC.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Wanderer posted:

There's probably something to the idea that there are only so many readers to go around, or at least readers who are still willing to buy single issues of comics at any price point, and a not-insignificant number of those readers were looking at Marvel due to DC being a dumpster fire until relatively recently.

With DC righting its ship somewhat and Marvel causing massive event fatigue, it's understandable that the pendulum would swing back the other way. Marvel would probably do well to rip off the Atomic Robo model at this point: no or few ongoing series, but a lot of one- to five-year runs with specific stories and creative teams. It should have tipped them off that they were causing problems when Chip Zdarsky was making fun of them and himself for having two #1 issues in a single year of Howard the Duck.

That is actually the model Marvel seems to be using with its Star Wars titles.

They launched the Star Wars and Darth Vader series as ongoings along with a bunch of 5 issue limited runs filling the third slot one after another.

They seem to be moving away from this though. As there will be three ongoings and no limited runs come December, but they might just be holding back until Rogue One releases.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the chat thread: Peter David finally apologizes for his NYCC outburst

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

This sounds like a business practice which greatly undermines small stores while only being feasible by the chain-stores. I hate business practices like that.

Some people are collectors, others just want to read it on not such a small screen as a tablet or laptop. I mean, I tend to read on my laptop mainly because I don't go anywhere and there aren't any LGS or LCS in my area (that I know about).

This is why I have the HP Slate 17 for my tablet. Piece of poo poo was still a rip off at $400 clearance price, but I dread the day it finally dies because it is so great for comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

This is why I have the HP Slate 17 for my tablet. Piece of poo poo was still a rip off at $400 clearance price, but I dread the day it finally dies because it is so great for comics.

I specifically bought a 10" tablet to read comics at a decent size and it's great. Actually i kinda wish it was a little bit bigger to have full page at a bigger size but it would probably be a bit unwieldy to hold lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's sort of a relief to see him go "oh, uh, poo poo, I hosed up and I understand I hosed up, I'm sorry" instead of tripling down on it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I specifically bought a 10" tablet to read comics at a decent size and it's great. Actually i kinda wish it was a little bit bigger to have full page at a bigger size but it would probably be a bit unwieldy to hold lol

Yeah, it's heavy, but resting it on a knee when on the couch or on a pillow on my belly in bed works fine. The screen is bright and clear enough that I can lay it flat at the bar and have no problems reading. I think a 15 inch screen would probably be perfect. Ten seems too small.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I use my Kindle, sadly Canadian Amazon has no Marvel trades available. Though It does have a decent number of Judge Dredd ones. And the fact Marvel Unlimited isn't on there, means it's not too useful.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have an ASUS ZenPad 7.0. It's not as big as I'd like (iPad size would be great), and I'd have to zoom or use Guided View for two-page spreads, but it does the job and was cheap to get.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, it's heavy, but resting it on a knee when on the couch or on a pillow on my belly in bed works fine. The screen is bright and clear enough that I can lay it flat at the bar and have no problems reading. I think a 15 inch screen would probably be perfect. Ten seems too small.

Schneider Heim posted:

I have an ASUS ZenPad 7.0. It's not as big as I'd like (iPad size would be great), and I'd have to zoom or use Guided View for two-page spreads, but it does the job and was cheap to get.

Yeah i find myself flipping to landscape to zoom in occasionally and two pagers are kinda tiny. I have no idea what sizes there actually are for sale but 13" would probably be minimum for full size for one page because of holding margins and you'd need something big for a two page full size obviously.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

site posted:

Yeah i find myself flipping to landscape to zoom in occasionally and two pagers are kinda tiny. I have no idea what sizes there actually are for sale but 13" would probably be minimum for full size for one page because of holding margins and you'd need something big for a two page full size obviously.

I read comics on my Pixel C with a 10.1" screen (which is a bit bigger than that of the iPad) and while it normally works great, splash pages and how you can only view them in pieces if you want to read them are a reason I honestly think about getting an iPad Pro 12.9" when it gets a refresh in spring (although I'm not a big fan of the locked down nature and general UI of iOS) just for that. Also the amazing True Tone display with increased colour space. I saw it on the smaller iPad Pro and that poo poo looks unbelievable good, even compared to the already outstanding display of the Pixel C.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 12, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Clawtopsy posted:

Like the people who :spergin: out over the use of 'literally', it upsets some people if not 100% accurate

using a word to mean the exact opposite of what the word is meant to mean would probably irritate a lot of people who are not spergs but whatever helps you sleep at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have an iPad Pro Huge and in portrait, a single page is bigger than a physical comic, and in landscape, you can easily read two pages at a time.

• Locked thread