Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/266256350436017/

Actually not a bad video, quite funny - they actually have a marketing budget now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
If you had told me last year that they would be making videos like this I would have just laughed.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Now GW, turn the page on your lovely game design and I'm willing to return.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

drat that model is a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is tactical support squads with volkites ever worth it? Or are they either A) A lovely standin for heavy support with culverins, or B) A lovely standin for sniper vets.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is tactical support squads with volkites ever worth it? Or are they either A) A lovely standin for heavy support with culverins, or B) A lovely standin for sniper vets.

Ten man charger armed squads can be fun if you play Night Lords.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I play SW and SoH.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Lord Twisted posted:

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/266256350436017/

Actually not a bad video, quite funny - they actually have a marketing budget now

"Plastic sisters of battle?!"

Such dicks >.<

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

I've never run them before, but dudes online seem to like them. Hixson ran them once and they did terrifying things to a cults and militia army

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Well v-chargers are Assault 2 Strength 5 and tactical support squads can now take a CCW. SoH should get a decent buff with them in both shooting and the following assault. 10 in a Dread Claw would be something I would try out.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, 175 for 10 dudes with volkite chargers doesn't seem like a bad deal. It's just would you rather have them or flamers? With either of those squads you may as well take the extra close combat weapons for another 20 since they're such short range to begin with.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Podding flamers with CCW is actually pretty clutch. Nobody wants to charge you and you're all set to cook n' charge somebody next turn.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Podding flamers with CCW is actually pretty clutch. Nobody wants to charge you and you're all set to cook n' charge somebody next turn.
Comedy Dark Angels option: Podding in a unit of plasma repeaters. It's the only way to get to that ludicrous 6" range when they move and if someone charges you, that's a bunch of twin-linked S6 AP2 shots they have to deal with. Ten of them will statistically* get like 7-8 kills on overwatch. Overwatch! :getin:

*Statistics are bullshit in this game and don't matter. This squad would also cost 375 points not counting a transport.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Here are some Militia I am working on, trying to figure out a way to spruce up these models. Maybe I could edge highlight, I don't want to do too much because with Militia I have to make way too many of these. Also does anyone know if you can build a militia list using Army Builder?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Is there any reason to take Legion Destroyers? Other than rad grenades, which seem completely useless on a squad so completely average in melee, they have nothing going for them for their price point.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Is there any reason to take Legion Destroyers? Other than rad grenades, which seem completely useless on a squad so completely average in melee, they have nothing going for them for their price point.

Wounds for a Moritat?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I suppose, but Veteran Tacticals can do that better, and cheaper (you only need one rad grenade!)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Destroyers are probably the worst unit in the book except for maybe the thunderhawk transporter (lol)

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Destroyers would be better if they also had poisoned attacks both ranged and melee.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

I suppose, but Veteran Tacticals can do that better, and cheaper (you only need one rad grenade!)

i thought moritats could only join destroyers and nothing else?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i thought moritats could only join destroyers and nothing else?

Ahh, you are correct! So there is a single reason for them to exist, albeit ridiculously expensive for damage output.

krursk posted:

Destroyers would be better if they also had poisoned attacks both ranged and melee.

Or a mini version of the moritat chain-fire rule, something where they can get more shots than a generic boltgun.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unfortunately, no. :smith:

Destroyers are probably the coolest unit in the entire book, but they are really, really overpriced. You could honestly knock off 100 points for a ten man squad with jump packs before people would actually take them. That unit is currently 325 without any other upgrades. I want to run a bunch of assholes with rad grenades, jump packs, dual pistols, melta bombs, and rad missile launchers, but they're the worst. There is no comparison between them and the other Elites options. If you really want rad grenades, take a forge lord; you can stick him anywhere.

rjderouin posted:

Here are some Militia I am working on, trying to figure out a way to spruce up these models. Maybe I could edge highlight, I don't want to do too much because with Militia I have to make way too many of these. Also does anyone know if you can build a militia list using Army Builder?

Got a larger picture? :v: I can't speak for Army Builder, but I know the militia list is available through Battlescribe.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I've no idea why Assault squads got a points reduction but Destroyers didn't get a corresponding drop. Knock 75 points off the squad and 5 ppm and they'd be worth considering.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

I've seen other Sons of Horus players rave about this unit, especially now that Dreadclaws have Inertial Guidance. BS5 rerolling 1's on the first turn if you're Long Marching is pretty rad. Plasma is probably better but the Volkite weapons look way cooler.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

adamantium|wang posted:

I've no idea why Assault squads got a points reduction but Destroyers didn't get a corresponding drop. Knock 75 points off the squad and 5 ppm and they'd be worth considering.

Lets not forget they also thought it was a good idea to raise the cost of breachers

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Got a larger picture? :v: I can't speak for Army Builder, but I know the militia list is available through Battlescribe.

Didn't realize I put such a small picture in.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Bought a guys kharybdis for dirt cheap because he rage-sold a fist of Khorne and looking at the rules does it really have 5 of the same gun and can only shoot 4? Or am I misreading independent machine spirits.
Also holy poo poo this thing is huge.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The Kharybdis is pretty loving big, yes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BULBASAUR posted:

Lets not forget they also thought it was a good idea to raise the cost of breachers

That pisses me off no end. I was looking forward to a Death Guard army with ranks of boarding shields but there's no way I can justify them over even Tactical squads. If the Mk III plastics are cheap enough I'll think about doing a squad for shits and giggles but otherwise no dice :mad:

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

adamantium|wang posted:

That pisses me off no end. I was looking forward to a Death Guard army with ranks of boarding shields but there's no way I can justify them over even Tactical squads. If the Mk III plastics are cheap enough I'll think about doing a squad for shits and giggles but otherwise no dice :mad:

I sold all but 20 breachers as I have to take them for the Stone Gauntlet ROW. I feel sorry for the bloke I sold them to, he now has 80 and doesn't seem to understand how bad they are for the points. He's adamant that they are super awesome because of the invulnerable save on a troops choice and seems to think they are some kind of super aggressive CC squad.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
How long has he been writing for Games Workshop?

E: Also every time I've tried to write up a Stone Gauntlet list I've thrown up my hands and taken PotL instead. How do you do yours?

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
What do people think about running Militia as squats? You take Surivivors for the +1 armor and Abhuman for the +1 toughness and -1 initiative. Using a combination of these models + imperial armor ( squats had access to imperial STC in the old fluff I think )

They seem like a pretty perfect fit and I am sure through out the great crusade marines ran into squats all the time.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

adamantium|wang posted:

How long has he been writing for Games Workshop?

E: Also every time I've tried to write up a Stone Gauntlet list I've thrown up my hands and taken PotL instead. How do you do yours?

I generally have a punchy delegatus, 2 min breachers with grav weapon upgrades(LR-Proteus transports in bigger games otherwise hiding behind fortifications) 1 Phalanx Warder squad with plasma guns and Axes (with a LR-Phobos if there are points). After that I stuff as many storm shield Termies and medusa as I can with some fortifications. I sometimes take a recon squad in carapace armour with a vox for spotting. I Defend home field objectives with the breachers, drop pie plates on the enemy objective grabbers and go after tough stuff with the Warders and terminators. If my medusa/s get taken out early I generally loose the game on objectives but I've yet to be tabled. I find most of my opponents waste too much effort on the SS Terminators, but one of my regular opponents has discovered the dread-clawed, chainfist+combi-melta cataphractii combo which wrecks my artillery squadron and bunkers right off the bat.

ZM games is just a breacher squad, a warder squad and few terminators up the the points limit.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

rjderouin posted:

What do people think about running Militia as squats? You take Surivivors for the +1 armor and Abhuman for the +1 toughness and -1 initiative. Using a combination of these models + imperial armor ( squats had access to imperial STC in the old fluff I think )

They seem like a pretty perfect fit and I am sure through out the great crusade marines ran into squats all the time.

I had got the impression that the cult militia list was built specifically with combinations of the special demagogue rules (I can't recall the precise terms) to allow you to do this.

I am using the list as an excuse to paint whatever models I want and then line them up en mass. It has really kept me going through my current power armour fatigue. I don't think I'll go back now. I just have to paint another three hundred guys and challenge Lord Twisted to a game. Those pyroclasts are probably fairly lovely against hordes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

rjderouin posted:

Didn't realize I put such a small picture in.

The only thing I'd recommend is making the chest armor, shoulder pads, and lasgun casing a different colors than the cloth. You can telegraph that these parts are "hard" by making them a uniform color.

Maybe a dark grey for all of those? Ideally you want something you can weather or edge highlight to convey that it's a different material than the "softer" parts of the figure.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
But breachers are good in zone mortalis! Therefore they

:goonsay:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

I had got the impression that the cult militia list was built specifically with combinations of the special demagogue rules (I can't recall the precise terms) to allow you to do this.

I am using the list as an excuse to paint whatever models I want and then line them up en mass. It has really kept me going through my current power armour fatigue. I don't think I'll go back now. I just have to paint another three hundred guys and challenge Lord Twisted to a game. Those pyroclasts are probably fairly lovely against hordes.

Yeah mate, 10 heavy flamers is absolute dogshit against t3 5+ hordes.

FLAME IT AND CLAIM IT.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

About to play the grand finale of the Betrayal campaign. Heres hoping 20 autocannons can bring down a primarch or two (since we play 2v2)

adamantium|wang posted:

I've taken a 10-man squad a couple times since they are good at denying kills when my opponents take assault marine squads stuffed with power swords. The breachers won't win, but they'll tie them up long enough to bring something over that can win. But I fully agree that they need to be cheaper before they become viable.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

BULBASAUR posted:

But breachers are good in zone mortalis! Therefore they

:goonsay:

Heh. I know there are people who still say this but the cheaper tactical and assault marines make their niche role in ZM suspect, even with a ROW that gives them a boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah I read it a lot on forums and while I get what they are trying to say, it's just not how you balance a game