Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Seems like it started late and completely unannounced, but there is indeed an Endless Legend sale going on right now on Steam. The game and old xpacs are 75% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Seems like it started late and completely unannounced, but there is indeed an Endless Legend sale going on right now on Steam. The game and old xpacs are 75% off.

I just bought shifters 4 hours ago. gently caress me.

I'm sure I could open a support ticket and try to get a refund but honestly Amplitude deserves my money. I bought all the other DLC at discount prices and EL is awesome.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Finally won my first game as the broken lords in space. It was a close thing, but fortunately a forced cease fire expired in time for me to murder the cravers before they won by score.

Is there any guide to the hero ships or why I would take one ship type over the other? (Flag, drop, limo?)

Are symmetrical weapon mounts on either side of a ship just cosmetic as far as damage-dealing goes?

Is there something I can mouse over that actually tells me how much manpower is being added to a fleet in orbit per turn? Mousing over individual ships tells me they should be getting their full compliment in one turn, and clearly that's not happening.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Tanith posted:

Are symmetrical weapon mounts on either side of a ship just cosmetic as far as damage-dealing goes?

Nope. Whatever you put there will cost twice as much (including resource) but you double it's firepower.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
In EL, is there a way to toggle off the large cities nameboxes in strategic view? I just want to look for resources!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

F10 hides the whole UI I think?

The best way to find resources in your own territory is to bring up the city list since it shows you all of them, and if they are being extracted or not. But for other places I don't think there's a way to see that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
That's even better, thanks!

Menelon
Oct 2, 2014
Ctrl + F10 to hide the GUI of Endless Legend.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Finished my collection for Endless Legend. Including Tempest.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The system upgrade system is kind of odd and feels tacked on right now. The bonuses are nice and it's a use for all those luxury resources, but there's no information about it ingame or in tooltips and when I saw it on the system view I honestly expected it to upgrade by itself as the system improved over time.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

With the current setup, I think the Sophons ability to research an era ahead is almost a trap. I just got womped by the Cravers in a recent game because I rapidly researched two era 2 techs but had neglected to research any military hulls. Whoops!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you have Cravers near you, you absolutely need to drop everything you're doing and go full military or you are out of the game.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Is rushing for the medium warships as Sophons dumb or playable?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was thinking of trying that out myself. Probably have enough time to get that research done before your scientists lose the election.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Rygar201 posted:

Is rushing for the medium warships as Sophons dumb or playable?

It feels dumb to me because they take 3 command points each IIRC and the starting fleet cap is 4 (so you'll also need the command cap upgrade tech), but I've never deployed mediums so I'm not sure if that's a trade-off that's worth it. It seems to me that, between extra tech cost for era-junping, the necessary support research to deploy mediums in numbers, and the extra production cost for the hull and to fill all the extra slots, mediums would have to be crazy powerful relative to smalls to make the rush worthwhile.

Maybe the math will be different at release when "Cravers nearby" is not basically a guarantee.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 12, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

It feels dumb to me because they take 3 command points each IIRC and the starting fleet cap is 4 (so you'll also need the command cap upgrade tech), but I've never deployed mediums so I'm not sure if that's a trade-off that's worth it. Maybe it will be, at release when "Cravers nearby" is not basically a guarantee.

It feels like it could be a good idea because you could probably field a medium vessel loaded up with long range weapons while everyone is putting around in lights with short range stuff

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Rygar201 posted:

It feels like it could be a good idea because you could probably field a medium vessel loaded up with long range weapons while everyone is putting around in lights with short range stuff

Yeah, it's tempting but my gut says ehhhh (I edited in some theorycrafty reasons above while you were replying, oops).

In my Sophon game even deploying lights with medium/long-range weapons was enough to hilariously shift battles in my favour, so T2 weapons might be a better rush target. I wonder if the extra movement-point module Sophons can get from a quest applies to battles/lets them kite using sniper battle strategies?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rushing medium hulls might be useful- because that tech also unlocks a bunch of extra slots on small hulls. Four angry Accelerators crammed to the gills with lasers is probably going to do you better than a single basic Smasher.

But you're probably better off picking up yellow or blue weapons.

I don't know about the other races, but Sophons can stick long range weapons on their smalls too, so that's not really an advantage of mediums. Unless the hull multiplier for modules affects range as well?

e: no, in fact, they can't put missiles on smalls. I must have hallucinated that.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 12, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Hunter class medium is pretty good. It has a pair of batteries of double, symetrical guns and a huge amount of HP. If you rushed it, you could potentially have one of those, an attacker class support ship for close range and a hero in your fleet.

It has a huge production cost though so it'll take a while just to get the one out and I'm not sure you want to do that unless you're certain you can turn it into a system or two right away.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I have yet to fields a carrier class hull, what are they for? Manpower modules and support stuff?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

I have yet to fields a carrier class hull, what are they for? Manpower modules and support stuff?

Right now, carriers aren't really worth it without fighters or bombers. Or the actual manpower that will make ground combat better when you drop tanks and planes and stuff on the enemy.

They posted what they want to get done in early access.
https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/21182-endless-space-2-improve-list-post-early-access

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 12, 2016

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Can someone give some general tips for outpacing the AI in Endless Legend on hard and above? I find they expand enormously, seemingly without morale issues, and hugely out-tech and out-money me. Any video LPs would be appreciated too, if you think they'd help.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just a reminder that if you want to have some influence on ES2's development, use their official forums. They do seem to genuinely listen to and interact with people in it. Some hot button issues appear to include force truce, the tech tree/column, and the combat system.

For the tl;dr

• Force truce is really unpopular in a lot of ways, and the devs want to keep some form of it in but are amenable to changing it and like some of the player suggestions
  • The tech column/eras system is pretty controversial, and I put in the most popular thread for it but I think this poll may be more indicative.
  • The devs have some pretty strong things to say about the combat system, things like "And on this matter, their last word has already been said : no RTS during battles." They have a plan for more complexity than what we currently see, but not massively so.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Anyone who enjoyed the tech tree from EL1 is probably delusional. A huge stream of symbols thats hard to parse and hugely intimidating for newcomers? Tech Eras all the way. ES2 needs more work to feel right at the moment but I think going back to a tech tree would be unenjoyable .

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Scaling text costs needs work. It is heavily punishes under researching in era 1, IMO

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

0.1.3 patch is out on Steam as the main release build now.

Combat is really terrible right now. But it's alpha. The game isn't even in a beta state, and the combat right now is merely functional. It sure is pretty, but there is absolutely no strategy involved. Endless Space 1 combat is a whole lot better than the combat model right now. I just hope they stick to their guns and don't make it a real time strategy. I really hate when a 4X game makes combat into a different type of strategy game. I play turn based strategy games to have some semblance of turn based.

The combat in nuMoO from what I've seen in videos is fine. That's not real time strategy in terms of a strategy game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The combat is probably going to end up with planning closer to EL where you give targeting and stance orders

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Scaling text costs needs work. It is heavily punishes under researching in era 1, IMO

How would it punish under-researching? If anything, I think it punishes OVER-researching, and the problem is that with all the things you need and all the gameplay mechanics that are gated behind techs, over-researching in Era 1 is difficult to avoid.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 12, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

The combat in nuMoO from what I've seen in videos is fine. That's not real time strategy in terms of a strategy game.
I'd rather be pepper sprayed than play the "tactical" combat in nuMoO.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Deleter posted:

Anyone who enjoyed the tech tree from EL1 is probably delusional. A huge stream of symbols thats hard to parse and hugely intimidating for newcomers? Tech Eras all the way. ES2 needs more work to feel right at the moment but I think going back to a tech tree would be unenjoyable .

As I've suggested in the official forums, I think a hybrid system could work. The main benefits of the ES1 tech web were A) logical links so you aren't able to skip past lower tier techs entirely (like how probe level 3 overwrites both probe level 1 and 2), B) the ability to specialize your empire by going deep in one direction early on, and C) the ability to get older techs for cheap, so it doesn't feel like you've been semi-permanently locked out of the Tier 1 techs you skipped, by endlessly increasing tech costs.

Also, well, honestly I've always found the Endless Legend tech icons harder to parse, personally. I mean, I can see how having less of them to deal with at once makes things simpler, but it's not like the icons themselves are any clearer.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

How would it punish under-researching? If anything, I think it punishes OVER-researching, and the problem is that with all the things you need and all the gameplay mechanics that are gated behind techs, over-researching in Era 1 is difficult to avoid.

I mean it makes going back to pick up something prohibitively time consuming for such a basic tech. If I'm popping back down to E1 in late E2 that tech is going to take a while.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Clarste posted:

Also, well, honestly I've always found the Endless Legend tech icons harder to parse, personally. I mean, I can see how having less of them to deal with at once makes things simpler, but it's not like the icons themselves are any clearer.

I agree, apart from a vague notion of colour telling me what the tech is I still haven't really learned which is which tech after ~ 40 hours playing Endless Legend. But at the risk of being "that guy" I would like to put forward that part of me actually likes how hard the game is to parse, it almost adds another immersive element that you are interacting with this crazy alien world. I know it sounds stupid but it draws me in having to read all the tech descriptions to find out what the hell they are. Endless Legend is a game that absolutely revels in its theme and part of that is all this esoteric poo poo. I feel it would lose something of itself if it were to have say "banks" with £ sign icon instead of "dust dredger" with whatever crazy thing it has.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Helion posted:

Can someone give some general tips for outpacing the AI in Endless Legend on hard and above? I find they expand enormously, seemingly without morale issues, and hugely out-tech and out-money me. Any video LPs would be appreciated too, if you think they'd help.

I don't know what the rules for self-promotion are, but I have a Youtube channel where I'm learning to play on Endless (and winning about half the time) and I try my best to explain why I make the decisions that I make. Here's a link to my Endless playlists: https://www.youtube.com/user/Sumashful/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=12&sort=dd
There are definitely better players than me out there, but hopefully you can learn something from me trying to talk through my thought process. (The Broken Lords series starts playing with Tempest enabled on episode 8, but I've been too busy dealing with my neighbors on land to make much use of the oceans.)

In a nutshell, the things that I'm finding to be important for high-difficulty play are:
1) Quick expansion. You're probably going to have to pick up new regions more often than once per empire plan if you don't want to get hemmed in, and you'll need a lot of resources to compete with the AI's economic bonuses. (You can of course get by just fine by murdering a neighbor and taking his stuff.) Approval management is tied up in this as well as a little bit of aggro management; if you block somebody off too much the border friction can start a war, although if you can really block them into a corner and keep them weak you might just be able to consume them early on.
2) A decent understanding of the combat system and manual resolution of most combats. It's possible that this isn't such a big deal if you're better at getting your economy running than I am, but on high difficulties the AI can generate SO MANY UNITS that you really need to get every tiny bit of possible advantage out of each battle. In particular, taking advantage of terrain is really important.
3) Building an army. You don't always have to use it, but the AI pays attention to your military strength, and if you look like easy pickings you WILL get picked. If you look strong they may turn on someone else when they decide they need a war.
4) Diplomacy. I really undervalued this on low difficulties, but making peace or an alliance with somebody can be really valuable just in terms of the breathing room it gives you to deal with other players, and trade routes/tech trading can really help you catch up with the AIs.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Endless Space 2's tech screen is a bit easier to parse as it spells out what you'll get a bit better, but it can get better. The issue with the drone techs is a pretty big one, actually. Would it be better to just tie exploration levels to what level you're in?

Might just post some stuff on the official forum.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I've been playing through more EL games to the end (I'm really bad at getting myself to play past the midgame in 4Xs) and just won a scientific victory with the forgotten, which I though was kind of amusing. I don't know if it's a lot in general but towards the end I was generating a fuckton of dust. Easily over 20k per turn.

Looking forward to starting my next game with tempest.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Isn't there an achievement for that - science with Forgotten? I haven't played as them yet, but I just picked up the Shifters and Shadows DLC packs on the cheap. I always end up a couple behind these days as its more economical and gives the developer time to patch out any mess ups. I am looking forward to Tempest already sometime next year :I.

My first game as the Allayi has gone.. poorly. I lost my initial army and expanded too quickly and realised the Allayi are not good at that at all, especially as their quest step early on is to be fervent. Difficult when you are at 35 %...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe they should give the various system improvements upgrade paths. Drone Networks is hilariously useless on its own as even on turn 1 your homeworld alone produces 30+ industry and 40+ food and it only gives a flat +5 to both. Xeno Industrial Complex provides 5 industry and an extra 10 on forest planets but forests are rare and yet you're still compelled to get the technology since it unlocks the mining of titanium. I think that some buildings should instead upgrade and have more pronounced benefits. For example Drone Networks could prove +1 industry per population and then upgrade into Interplanetary Transport Network which would give the extra +3 per population on deposits. That way you keep it useful and relevant through the entire game instead of being something you throw production at because you have nothing else to build.

The same issue exists with Sustainable Farms and Magnetic Field Generators. Era 1 just feels very undeveloped.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Era 1 seems like the era where you should expand your empire. The problem is that there are too few planets you can natively settle on. You need to take the colonization techs in order to settle on planets that will be spread throughout the map.
Unlike Endless Legend, you have almost no control on where you can actually put colonies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Era 1 seems like the era where you should expand your empire. The problem is that there are too few planets you can natively settle on. You need to take the colonization techs in order to settle on planets that will be spread throughout the map.
Unlike Endless Legend, you have almost no control on where you can actually put colonies.

There's also too much variance besides your homeworld. It would be better if they had pre-made home systems because whether I get a medium tropical world or 3 lava worlds makes a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

My first game as the Allayi has gone.. poorly. I lost my initial army and expanded too quickly and realised the Allayi are not good at that at all, especially as their quest step early on is to be fervent. Difficult when you are at 35 %...

The Allayi have a pretty rough time early. The seekers are great for exploring and getting you a ton of ruins and stuff quickly, but honestly they might be the worst non-support unit in the game, at least in light form, and as you noted approval is really tough. You basically have to get through that step of the faction quest before moving past two cities, and you definitely have to prioritize sewers highly. Remember to prioritize food enough to get some quick population, because the garths are really, really good. Also, while seekers suck, monks are actually really great, so try to get to those before making any military moves.
Tempest gives them a bit of a boost because they can start getting quests from the ocean fortresses really early, which (depending on quest RNG) can end you up with a LOT of strategic/luxury resources.