Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm thinking this might be the best place to ask this, but whereabouts would be the best place to buy foam pvc board? I'm looking for sheets at least 4' long and probably 3-6mm thick to build a bender costume.

For content, here's my daft punk halloween costume from last year. 3d printed and molded daft punk helmet with an arduino controlling the LED's on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

my cat is norris posted:

Looks fantastic! If your sister doesn't mind, can you share a photo of the wedding party? I know it's a little off-topic to the thread, but I'd love to see how your costume looks in its intended setting. :shobon:

I'll see what I can grab as people upload to FB.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

:siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: and I are still in the post-convention daze from NYCC, but I took the evening to edit together some of the footage from the Twitch live stream of the event. I went as Immortan Joe, and we ended up placing second in our category (special FX). We’re unbelievably happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnSgM4FKg8

The convention was great, and the other competitors were all amazing. There was not a single person on that stage that we didn’t end up talking about later and saying that they should have also won. We took hardly any photos of ourselves, but I've been trawling through social media and contacting some photographers we met to get some images, and I've gotten some great pictures as a result.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
It is not as good as some of you guys are doing, P simple really but Me and a friend are doing Mario warfare for Halloween and some local con's,please excuse my messy rear end house.

We plan on adding some more of the base colors with sling's for the weapons with blue/red and blue/green para cord, some actual overalls, and tool belts/plungers. and of course giant fake mustaches.

This is my first foray into making a costume and it was simple, just taking found objects and paining them but makes me want to get into doing more of it.

me

my buddy

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
You should put little mushrooms or stars on the end of those guns. They look very realistic as is.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Funhilde posted:

You should put little mushrooms or stars on the end of those guns. They look very realistic as is.

This, but you guys look awesome.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
What sites are we all using for wigs nowadays? I've been enlisted to play Pearl for a group Steven Universe cosplay. My normal go-to wig site is Amphigory, but they don't seem to have anything in the peach/apricot sort of color I'm looking for.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Ratspeaker posted:

What sites are we all using for wigs nowadays? I've been enlisted to play Pearl for a group Steven Universe cosplay. My normal go-to wig site is Amphigory, but they don't seem to have anything in the peach/apricot sort of color I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure Arda wigs has a whole post on Steven Universe cosplay ideas.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Funhilde posted:

I'm pretty sure Arda wigs has a whole post on Steven Universe cosplay ideas.

Part 1 & Part 2 are here

Can't say enough good things about Arda, my ex and I always had great experiences with their stuff.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a big fan of Arda, honestly; their wigs look kind of chunky and artificial to me, and I prefer a more natural look, even for extremely unnatural characters. (Also, I've seen a few Pearls who must have been using those suggested wigs, and I didn't really like the way they turned out.) Maybe I should look into dying wigs?

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Ratspeaker posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a big fan of Arda, honestly; their wigs look kind of chunky and artificial to me, and I prefer a more natural look, even for extremely unnatural characters. (Also, I've seen a few Pearls who must have been using those suggested wigs, and I didn't really like the way they turned out.) Maybe I should look into dying wigs?

Are there any better options at that price point though? They come with lace fronts and a hairline you can adjust slightly to suit, as well as being particularly hardy. Sure, you have to do some work on them, but they are also fairly cheap. The ones we used (see the immortan joe post further up the page) went from looking particularly artificial to reasonably natural. I thinned the ends out dramatically on both, and rubbed ash powder into them to remove the shine. They ended up working pretty well for us.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Natalie Fartman posted:

Are there any better options at that price point though? They come with lace fronts and a hairline you can adjust slightly to suit, as well as being particularly hardy. Sure, you have to do some work on them, but they are also fairly cheap. The ones we used (see the immortan joe post further up the page) went from looking particularly artificial to reasonably natural. I thinned the ends out dramatically on both, and rubbed ash powder into them to remove the shine. They ended up working pretty well for us.

That's true. Yours look pretty good; I've never really delved into the art of reshaping and reconditioning wigs beyond basic styling and upkeep, so I may not be seeing all the possibilities. I might grab the Cady wig and see what I can do with it. Do you have any tutorials you recommend?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, finally got my jacket for the two face costume. Planning on doing the more classic, two color suit split down the middle as opposed to the burned/melted half suit in the movie.

Two things - 1 it is currently white, because I figured it would be easier to die that black rather than trying to bleach or paint a black suit and have it look good. But it is polyester, which typically doesn't take well to dye. I've seen that rit now has a dye specifically for poly. Has anyone used it and how did you like it?

2 - Since I want to dye it only half way and get as clean a line as possible, is there any way for me to make a hard line, using anything? Tape, glue, whatever? The general idea, assuming I use rit would be to suspend the suit over the tub so it only gets submerged halfway. But I'm assuming that there will be splashing and other such movement that could make its way past where I want it. Could I run a bead of silicone caulk and then remove it after it was dry? Am I really just over thinking this?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

CzarChasm posted:

So, finally got my jacket for the two face costume. Planning on doing the more classic, two color suit split down the middle as opposed to the burned/melted half suit in the movie.

Two things - 1 it is currently white, because I figured it would be easier to die that black rather than trying to bleach or paint a black suit and have it look good. But it is polyester, which typically doesn't take well to dye. I've seen that rit now has a dye specifically for poly. Has anyone used it and how did you like it?

2 - Since I want to dye it only half way and get as clean a line as possible, is there any way for me to make a hard line, using anything? Tape, glue, whatever? The general idea, assuming I use rit would be to suspend the suit over the tub so it only gets submerged halfway. But I'm assuming that there will be splashing and other such movement that could make its way past where I want it. Could I run a bead of silicone caulk and then remove it after it was dry? Am I really just over thinking this?

I would suggest painting it rather than dying it if you want a hard line. Check out options they have on https://www.dharmatrading.com. You can even call them and explain what you need and they can likely give you suggestions.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree, even if you could suspend the coat somehow and prevent any splashing, you would probably get some of the dye leeching upward into the fabric instead of a hard line. It probably wouldn't be the end of the world, seeing as the line is going to be on your back, but painting would probably give you a much cleaner result.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's the easiest way to make an approximation of my head? I'm trying to make a relatively close-fitting hood, and it'd be a lot easier to do if I had something that was roughly the size and shape of my head to work on instead of myself.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

make a tape dummy?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

That's true. Yours look pretty good; I've never really delved into the art of reshaping and reconditioning wigs beyond basic styling and upkeep, so I may not be seeing all the possibilities. I might grab the Cady wig and see what I can do with it. Do you have any tutorials you recommend?

One super simple way to make a wig look more natural is to soak it in fabric softener, it drops down the shine and it can help reduce the volume some too. Also Arda's newer silky line might be worth checking, they're a lot sleeker than the original fibers. Although for Pearl's hair you might want the added texture for styling.

I've been super busy and not moving real fast on my Yara Greyjoy costume but here's the breastplate so far:

I ran out of studs after this so those are on the way for the bottom plating. I think it's going to be killer once I can weather the whole thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, you could probably to a duct tape form of your head but be VERY careful.

Alternatively, a bunch of friends, a bunch of silicone or alginate, and a bunch of plaster, and a good tutorial.

Don't apply plaster directly to your skin, obvs.

On another note, I'm going to work on version 4(!) of my Mandalorian pilot faceplate tomorrow.

It has been going poorly thus far. I think I've got it down now, but I do need still to find the right material for the visor.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

McPantserton posted:

One super simple way to make a wig look more natural is to soak it in fabric softener, it drops down the shine and it can help reduce the volume some too. Also Arda's newer silky line might be worth checking, they're a lot sleeker than the original fibers. Although for Pearl's hair you might want the added texture for styling.

I'm probably going to stick with the Cady classic, since it's closer to what I need than anything from the Silky collection. I think I'll need to sharpie dye it, though--should that be done before or after softening it? I'd imagine before, but I don't know if fabric softener will make it harder for the fibers to absorb the color.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

CzarChasm posted:

From my research, I think your easiest option is going to be Elmer's School Glue Gel, which you can use with a paintbrush to get a nice wide line of it. Then when you dip your suit into the dye bath, it'll resist the dye in a nice crisp line. Of course, if you dip it too far and the dye goes up above your resist line, that won't be any good, so be careful. Then the glue is washable, so you should be able to take it to the dry cleaner and have them get it out.

Honestly, I'd find it easier to buy a black jacket and splice the two together, re-shaping the hem so they'd look like they were the same jacket to begin with. But that's because I'm a professional tailor and I just have all the tools laying around to do that.

edit: You also may find that the Rit dye takes a couple tries to get a dark enough black, which increases the chances of an unfortunate event with the resist. If you have any sewing skills whatsoever, consider the splicing option.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

I'm probably going to stick with the Cady classic, since it's closer to what I need than anything from the Silky collection. I think I'll need to sharpie dye it, though--should that be done before or after softening it? I'd imagine before, but I don't know if fabric softener will make it harder for the fibers to absorb the color.

Yeah, I'd probably do it before. It shouldn't really take the dye out or anything either as long as the fabric softener/water isn't super hot or anything, I know Malinda (who is their main wig stylist and does a ton of their tutorials) sprays/re-soaks her wigs in the fabric softener later if they need to be cleaned up or anything so I can't imagine it would wreck the color later.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

McPantserton posted:

Yeah, I'd probably do it before. It shouldn't really take the dye out or anything either as long as the fabric softener/water isn't super hot or anything, I know Malinda (who is their main wig stylist and does a ton of their tutorials) sprays/re-soaks her wigs in the fabric softener later if they need to be cleaned up or anything so I can't imagine it would wreck the color later.

Neat, I'll try that. It'll be my first foray both into wig softening and wig dying, so we'll just see how it goes.

While I'm thinking about wigs: the guy we have playing Greg has an enormous head. Like, 99th percentile big. Most baseball caps won't even fit this guy. For Otakon, we were pressed for time and had to work with a normal girl's wig, and it looked fine in pictures, but it was bunching up and trying to escape off his head all day. No amount of bobby pins would keep it in place for more than a few minutes. So, I'm trying to find a better option. Does anyone know of a cosplay wig manufacturer that sells particularly large-circumference wigs, or of a way to modify a small wig so that it fits a larger head?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Re: fabric dye stuff, what Pile of Kittens has described is basically the batik method, but with glue rather than wax. You could do some research into batik if you need more ideas.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Does anyone here know of a super stretchy rubber material that can retain it's original form after being released?

I'm doing a MacReady from "The Thing" and I've got a spring loaded mechanism ready for the "blood test" (thanks cheapo airsoft pistol!).

It's going to be under a petri dish like this:

I'm not aiming for it to be nearly as big as the actual movie one, just a couple inches really, like a finger puppet popping up. Still a good scare in person!

Right now I think I'll end up with red fabrics that I can just reset between uses, but a cool red rubber that conceals the device below would be amazing!

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Ratspeaker posted:

Honestly, I am a complete newbie when it comes to wigs. I got these, and I looked at a few youtube videos about shaping the hairlines (because that's what I needed to do first) and then on how to style them. Mostly at the documentation Arda has on their site themselves. The styling I had to do was basic. Heat styling is possible, but you have to hold it in place until it has cooled. I added some kinks to the straight wig we had for Immortan Joe by braiding randomly sized sections and heating it with my curling iron (straighteners would also work). Big curls or anything like that will need to be pinned into place for a few minutes to retain the shape. To thin the lengths I just twisted sections and cut a steep diagonal, blending the amount I took off evenly all over the hair. I also made the ends look more natural by cutting vertically up into them.

I never looked into dyeing the wigs, but I saw very briefly that you can dye wigs with markers. If you wanted to vary the colour so it looks more natural, you could look into that. Just adding some subtle tones and darkness to the roots maybe. The ash powder I had is a Ben Nye Ash powder, so, makeup, and we were going for a distressed wastelandy feel so we just doused it on. They started looking a lot more natural once they had that on, so maybe try a dry shampoo or just a light dusting of talc, work it in with your hands to dull the shine. I think the shine is what makes it look so artificial.

We were also going to get a silicone spray (from home depot) that would help keep the wig from tangling but in the end, we wanted that tangled look, so it proved a little useless :P

Just be warned, the gradiation that happens on the back of the wig is fairly sparse due to the way the wig is made. This will be the same with most wigs I suspect, unless you're going for a much higher cost (looking at a couple of pearl wig videos on youtube, Arda wigs are muuuch better for that gradiation than others. Some have whole inches missing between layers, arda's wefts are spaced about 1-2cm apart). It might end up difficult to blend if you need to do a steep gradiated cut at all. If you are clever and stubborn, you can buy wefts to add in and create more fullness should you need it.

Edit: I recommend getting the longer wig and cutting it. The more hair you have the better.

edit edit: This is the melinda wig in silver that's been dyed: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ardawigs/19856768530/in/album-72157629263996037/

Natalie Fartman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 12, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Appreciate all the previous ideas on the dye stuff. I'll just have to test out and see what is best.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Honestly, I'd find it easier to buy a black jacket and splice the two together, re-shaping the hem so they'd look like they were the same jacket to begin with. But that's because I'm a professional tailor and I just have all the tools laying around to do that.

Yeah, now see, that's not a bad idea, and the jacket I bought is really cheap ($15) so having to buy another one in black and sew the two of them together is something I've thought about.

However, I do not own a sewing machine (though I could borrow one), and I have zero experience with one. I do have a grandma who has both, and I have earned some brownie points for being her IT guy...

Hell, if I can get that to work, I might buy two pairs of pants too. Though those are strangely more expensive after a cursory glance.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I know this question must've been asked before, but: How the hell do I keep my daughter's Pikachu ears standing up straight? These fuckers keep flopping over. Are they just too heavy? I've got pipe cleaner and poly-fil up in there. They are attached to hair clips since she hates headbands.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

foxatee posted:

I know this question must've been asked before, but: How the hell do I keep my daughter's Pikachu ears standing up straight? These fuckers keep flopping over. Are they just too heavy? I've got pipe cleaner and poly-fil up in there. They are attached to hair clips since she hates headbands.

What the heck are they made of? Go for something thicker than pipe cleaners? Go to Lowes, in the hardware section, near the stuff for hanging pictures, you'll find thick crafting wire in spools. It's like 9 to 14 guage. Buy the thickest wire you can stuff into the ears without having it be seen. measure out the length of the ear plus a few inches. insert wire into ear, and bend at a 90 degree angle where it exits the ear. Clip ear into your daughter's hair, then clip the bent end of the wire into her hair with another clip. curve for comfort if needed, and be sure to hide the wire under some hair so it's less visible.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

They are made of fleece.

I do have some 16 gauge floral/stem wire, but thought that would be too heavy.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I have a hard time keeping ears up without a flat tab at the bottom. I am a garbage sewing person to be fair but I made a Fiona hat from Adventure Time a few years back and I ended up mounting the ears on a small base that rested on the head to brace them.

Also sorry if that was rambling and puzzling, I am up way past my bedtime because there's a BUG in my bedroom and I did not successfully kill it with my chainsword. Ughhhh

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McPantserton posted:

I have a hard time keeping ears up without a flat tab at the bottom. I am a garbage sewing person to be fair but I made a Fiona hat from Adventure Time a few years back and I ended up mounting the ears on a small base that rested on the head to brace them.

Also sorry if that was rambling and puzzling, I am up way past my bedtime because there's a BUG in my bedroom and I did not successfully kill it with my chainsword. Ughhhh

I was going to suggest a similar solution. Just a small oval or rectangle to attach to the clips you are using.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

McPantserton posted:

Funhilde posted:

I was going to suggest a similar solution. Just a small oval or rectangle to attach to the clips you are using.

A wider base might work, yeah. I'll give that a go, thanks.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What would you guys recommend for a sort of super stretchy elastic material? I'm making a set of articulated wings, and I'm looking for something to stretch like a webbing on the inside of the elbow joint that'll help to keep the wings from opening slightly when closed and stop the fabric from bunching up and jamming things. The issue is how much it needs to stretch. It needs to go from 3 inches out to a foot and back, and needs to still have some pull at that 3 inch mark.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

What would you guys recommend for a sort of super stretchy elastic material? I'm making a set of articulated wings, and I'm looking for something to stretch like a webbing on the inside of the elbow joint that'll help to keep the wings from opening slightly when closed and stop the fabric from bunching up and jamming things. The issue is how much it needs to stretch. It needs to go from 3 inches out to a foot and back, and needs to still have some pull at that 3 inch mark.

Do you have a picture or illustration of what you want? Because what you are saying sounds like you want something that will stretch out to about a foot, but have enough recoil to retract back and lock back into place, so it needs tension to pull it back and keep it in the "closed" position as well, is that about it?

If so, I may have an idea, it's a little hard to describe but I will try my best.

EDIT: I'm a complete moron and had a more dangerous and complicated idea. Don't listen to that guy - he's crazy. Here's a better idea.

Take a length of elastic cord and anchor it to a point near the end of your wing.
Run that cord back towards the center of your rig and thread it through an eye hook
Bend it around the eye hook to a 90 degree(ish) angle
Leave an inch or so and secure that to a short spring (fairly strong, fairly thick wire) with a hook or hole at both ends. maybe like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-13-16-in-x-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Extension-Spring-2-Pack-15608/202045475
Secure the spring to your rig

To actually build it and get the initial tension right, you may want to do this backwards. Start with the spring and go out.

What I'm thinking is that when the wings are at "rest", the spring should have just enough tension to hold them there. When they are open, the whole wing is under tension. The spring should be strong enough to hold up to repeated use and to offer a stronger pull than the elastic, but not so strong that you can't stretch it out, or that it breaks the rig when it comes back. Some experimenting will be necessary.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 382 days!

neogeo0823 posted:

What you need is the humble unlubricated condom, my friend

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Other than putting a stache on my face, these are done.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Finally got Fenn Rau's helmet form down into a state where I'm not actively angry with how it came out (though it's a good bit pointier than it should be, I can't bring myself to care right now, I could have fixed it but it only barely fits as it is). Detailing and connection points to the chest plate now needed, then he's ready for paint.

I've got a lot to do on this costume, it's a long term project for me.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 16, 2016

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

r00tn00b posted:

Other than putting a stache on my face, these are done.

Not to beat a dead horse but I would still put some kind of cap on those guns to mark them as non-operational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Funhilde posted:

Not to beat a dead horse but I would still put some kind of cap on those guns to mark them as non-operational.

we are taking them to two private venues and have cleared it with security at both places, and will be in cases till we get there.