Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I love the aesthetic on that, beats the hell out of generic Zombie/Steampunk/Cthulhu/Vikings/Pirates etc.

I'm wondering how close the manoeuvre pieces are in dimensions to the XWing ones, as there are already rad trans acrylic templates produced by third parties which'd look good for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Canadian shipping, five bucks.

Oh, wallet, I hardly knew ye.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Might have to break my "no more Kickstarters" rule for this one.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

The Lazer Ryderz Kickstarter is live!
And oh my god, the box is cooler then I thought it'd be.

:stare: The bar has been raised. That is amazing.

Nuns with Guns posted:

like senrath said, yu-gi-oh was originally just a manga about a hyper competitive pharoah possessing a boy to play any kind of game of chance. iirc there's even a bit where they do an arc around russian roulette. The magic: the gathering children's card game arc was so popular they revisited it a few times, then decided to license the property for a card game and port the anime to the west, which became card-focused after the first season.

Interesting. Thanks gents. If Yugioh had been introduced as " hyper competitive pharoah possessing a boy to play any kind of game of chance" I would have to have checked it out back in the day. That is one of the better fictional premises I have ever heard.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

:stare: The bar has been raised. That is amazing.

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but their last game - RESISTOR - also looked pretty cool visually. Unfortunately, it was pretty much one big glaring game design problem, got tepid reviews overall, and I think was forgotten about pretty quickly.

So yeah, I really like the visuals and the boxes here, but I have no faith in their ability to design a game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jmzero posted:

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but their last game - RESISTOR - also looked pretty cool visually. Unfortunately, it was pretty much one big glaring game design problem, got tepid reviews overall, and I think was forgotten about pretty quickly.

So yeah, I really like the visuals and the boxes here, but I have no faith in their ability to design a game.
I'm also worried about it truly supporting 2-player gameplay when a lot rides on player interaction and the way the lines stretch across the table.

I'm optimistic, but I might pull out by the end if no reviews come out. They have a section for reviews on the project page, but it's just two super-short text blurbs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Baron Snow posted:

Given that it seems to be straight up using x-wing templates is there any reason I can't play this game with x-wing stuff, whatever it is?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

thespaceinvader posted:

Given that it seems to be straight up using x-wing templates is there any reason I can't play this game with x-wing stuff, whatever it is?
Yeah, besides the aesthetic, which I'll agree is pretty slick, the game is essentially playing with pieces that some people already own. It's like releasing a game you play only with chess pieces, but they're hot pink and neon green. Crap, I think I'm unconvincing myself as I think about it more.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thespaceinvader posted:

If you have enough movement templates sure I guess, but I think the idea is that the movement templates stay on the board to create obstacles for you and others, like Tron motorcycles.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

jmzero posted:

Valid criticism but it DOES look fantastic.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

jmzero posted:

JazzFlight posted:

I'm also worried about it truly supporting 2-player gameplay when a lot rides on player interaction and the way the lines stretch across the table.

I'm optimistic, but I might pull out by the end if no reviews come out. They have a section for reviews on the project page, but it's just two super-short text blurbs.

I've only played this game as low as 3, and that worked fine. I'll have to ask Anthony about how it plays at 2 player, it may be more of a technically supports 2, but it's ideal at 3 or more. I do like this game a lot better then RESISTOR_, and I think it's much better designed.

thespaceinvader posted:

You could probably "print and play" a version with x-wing templates, but each player would need something like 5 sets and you'd need a way to tell them apart.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

JazzFlight posted:

It's like releasing a game you play only with chess pieces, but they're hot pink and neon green. Crap, I think I'm unconvincing myself as I think about it more.

What's wrong with using an already established, polished, game mechanic instead of trying to design an original (and buggy) one? Last I checked, a lot of games use play money and roll dice to move tokens across boards as well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Baron Snow posted:

I've only played this game as low as 3, and that worked fine. I'll have to ask Anthony about how it plays at 2 player, it may be more of a technically supports 2, but it's ideal at 3 or more. I do like this game a lot better then RESISTOR_, and I think it's much better designed.

You could probably "print and play" a version with x-wing templates, but each player would need something like 5 sets and you'd need a way to tell them apart.

Ah OK, I like the idea of them staying on the board.

And I already have 3 sets of x-wing templates... most people who play it have multiple.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chaosium has pulled its licence from the Masks of Nyarlathotep Prop Set Kickstarter for failure to fulfill.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Upwind is a new fantasy RPG from Jeff Barber (designer of Blue Planet) and is now on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1875712273/upwind-rpg-treasure-planet-meets-studio-ghibli/description

quote:

Imagine Bakshi’s classic animated film Wizards has a head-on collision with Disney’s Treasure Planet and the resulting fire is put out with a whole lot of Studio Ghibli’s Castle in the Sky. That, in an unexpected, animated mash-up, is Upwind.

Upwind is a narrative style RPG set in a strange alternate world of floating island nations, flying sailing ships, long-lost technology, wild elemental powers, looming war and forgotten legacies.

Upwind is powered by the Q system, an original stakes-based, playing card-driven mechanic that gives every encounter consequences with meaningful, narrative-building outcomes. With its unique bidding rules, Upwind plays as fast as you can tell your story.

More setting info here: http://www.biohazardgamespublishing.com/upwind-excerpts

Game system excerpts: http://www.biohazardgamespublishing.com/qsystem-exerpts

I ran a game of it some months ago http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2016/05/genre/fantasy/upwind-out-of-curiosity/

I will be posting a one shot of Upwind run by Jeff Barber on the 14th and then a 4 part campaign run by me this month on RPPR Actual Play. The campaign as a written supplement is a stretch goal for this Kickstarter. I really believe in this game - it allows for sweeping epic fantasy adventures in a way that encourages role playing and great storytelling.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The game looks pretty bog-standard Steampunk With Magic, so you should get that crowd pretty handily.

That title is borderline unreadable, though. It took me at least ten seconds to piece it out.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

Upwind is a new fantasy RPG from Jeff Barber (designer of Blue Planet) and is now on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1875712273/upwind-rpg-treasure-planet-meets-studio-ghibli/description

I got a chance to demo this at GenCon and had a total blast, and I'm not typically a huge fan of this type of setting. The amount of game you can get through in a short period with the mechanics is really cool.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Helical Nightmares posted:

Interesting. Thanks gents. If Yugioh had been introduced as " hyper competitive pharoah possessing a boy to play any kind of game of chance" I would have to have checked it out back in the day. That is one of the better fictional premises I have ever heard.

Actually the card game stuff was a totally different show/universe/whatever. In the original manga (where the card game takes up, I think, two issues) the game is 100% based on MtG, there's lands and stuff like that, and the rules aren't even really brought up that much at all. It was very popular so they started a second anime/comic spinoff that starred the same characters but was geared towards a younger audience (the original YuGiOh manga is pretty dark and clearly aimed at teenagers and young men, Yugi/Pharaoh murders countless people and does poo poo like burn people alive and electrocute them basically every issue) and that's what we got in America and what ended up being the most popular in Japan. There's actually two YGO animated series, one based on the manga and one based on the card game, the one based on the manga doesn't have Konami money and is pretty poo poo TBH. The original comic was much more in line with stuff like JoJo's Bizzare Adventure (it's basically drawn in a more marketable version of that manga style) or Persona crossed with gambling manga/tv/movies which were big in Asia in the 80's and 90's. It starts out being about stuff like card games, poker, slot cars, etc but quickly the games devolve into things like "fire maze" (who can escape a burning building the fastest and not die).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe we're thinking of different things but the yugioh manga directly involving the card game is in fact the same universe and continuity as the tons of games one. It's just that after volume 1 was done the guy's editor asked him to refocus the series given how popular the cardgame was.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

clockworkjoe posted:

That art is, I'm sorry to say, not doing it for me at all.

That dude on the bottom makes my head hurt just looking at them. Beyond superficial aesthetics there's the fact that I already own Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies and two versions of Inverse World and that this doesn't really seem to be bringing much new to the table in the "floating islands and airships and magic" genre, so I'm probably gonna pass. Sign me up for a new edition of Blue Planet though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Baron Snow posted:

This looks cool but I'm not sure I like the 'roll to actually turn' system within in. Also the rule book in the PbP is terribly written.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Maybe we're thinking of different things but the yugioh manga directly involving the card game is in fact the same universe and continuity as the tons of games one. It's just that after volume 1 was done the guy's editor asked him to refocus the series given how popular the cardgame was.

I think the confusion was due to the original stuff and the card game stuff being released under different titles in America.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The person behind the rather fantastic Dungeon Dozen blog is Kickstarting Operation Unfathomable, a gonzo weird OSR adventure/mini-campaign in a similar vein.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Megazver posted:

The person behind the rather fantastic Dungeon Dozen blog is Kickstarting Operation Unfathomable, an adventure/mini-campaign in a similar vein.

This owns, backed. The art is killer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

That art is, I'm sorry to say, not doing it for me at all.

That dude on the bottom makes my head hurt just looking at them. Beyond superficial aesthetics there's the fact that I already own Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies and two versions of Inverse World and that this doesn't really seem to be bringing much new to the table in the "floating islands and airships and magic" genre, so I'm probably gonna pass. Sign me up for a new edition of Blue Planet though.

Same here but my issue was cards based mechanics. I'm so tired of cards as a pseudo randomizer.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Why keep it on one world? Take this poo poo Spelljammer style

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What do you guys think of this Era: The Consortium game? They seem to be putting stuff on Kickstarter a lot, and they certainly are supporting their product, but man, that's a lot of expansions that they may never get to do. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, I am increasingly liking the setting they seem to be creating the more I find out about it, but I don't know what I think of the mechanics.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Adventurers is a poorly named rules light RPG that's almost funded. I picked up the base edition for free on Drive Thru RPG. It has a bunch of small setting books for 1$ to go with it. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The system's both really lightweight and universal and it just doesn't work for me. It has about as many rules as something like World of Dungeons, but the specificity that has allows it wo work and I just don't think this does. If you want a two page ruleset for pick up games though it doesn't look bad.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh neat, I finally got my coupon code for the Dragon playbook for Fellowship. I kind of forgot I hadn't gotten that.

Also the first supplement for the new Fate Core compliant version of Bulldogs! is out to backers (but not the general public yet so I can't link it).

Gattaibushido is looking good, the latest update included some more art, both of the paper dolls (part of the 'fun stuff' package) and a bonus extra art piece from the artist who worked on Motobushido. I'm looking forward to this one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

More setting info here: http://www.biohazardgamespublishing.com/upwind-excerpts

Game system excerpts: http://www.biohazardgamespublishing.com/qsystem-exerpts

I ran a game of it some months ago http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2016/05/genre/fantasy/upwind-out-of-curiosity/

I will be posting a one shot of Upwind run by Jeff Barber on the 14th and then a 4 part campaign run by me this month on RPPR Actual Play. The campaign as a written supplement is a stretch goal for this Kickstarter. I really believe in this game - it allows for sweeping epic fantasy adventures in a way that encourages role playing and great storytelling.

I'll have to look at this. I ended up with all the Blue Planet 2e books back in like 2003 when my local game shop decided to give away their box of stuff that Would Never Sell, and while I've never run it, it was an interesting read.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So yeah, I just got my package for Henchling (formerly known as Minion), and everything seems good from the outside, just gotta look in and see if all the cards are there (I know the expansion wasn't sent yet, so just looking for base game cards). It's been a long trip with those guys, I'm glad it's ending on a positive note. Funnily, even though it took this long, I find myself more likely to back a future project of theirs than another Mayday game.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I finally got to talk to Anthony about 2 player games and he had this to say:

Cardboard Fortress posted:

We think 3 and 4 player is the best but we have given a lot of 2 player demos and still enjoyed it immensely. The trick is that there are only as many starting (black) goal pieces as there are players and you need to score 3 to win. So in a 2 player game there are only 2 to start and the third only appears once one is scored and since the new goal that gets thrown onto the table is thrown on not by the scorer this all amounts to a tight little back and forth knot of maneuvering.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:derp::derp::derp:Guys! Guys! Guys!:derp::derp::derp:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That game looks even worse than exploding kittens, and I didn't think that was possible.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oh my

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does the Scion 2e kickstarter look safe or will it be the Ex3 KS 2.0?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Covok posted:

Does the Scion 2e kickstarter look safe or will it be the Ex3 KS 2.0?

Scion 2e kickstarter is already looking loads better than the Ex3 one. They've had development diaries and publicly available playtest information for a while now (although not the full rules, enough to get a good sense of where things are going). They are also deliberately trying to be aware and sensitive of cultural issues, and are unlikely to have a Rape Ghosts 2: Loa Love controversy

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

That game looks even worse than exploding kittens, and I didn't think that was possible.

It's gonna make a billion dollars.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jesus christ, that's some thin game play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

It's gonna make a billion dollars.

Oh, I have no doubts about that, because they have a loyal, if misguided, fanbase who will readily shell out for that crap; The art style is lazy, the premise is insulting and distasteful, and the mechanics are so simple a three year old could play (and would probably be the only one to actually have fun with it, more than once).