Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

joem83 posted:

We actually get a ton! We have a venue that does pretty much nothing but metal (http://brickbybrick.ticketfly.com/) and there are several others that will have various types of metal. I think I'll take the advice and go, it's on a Thursday at least. The other two acts I'm thinking about going to see are Ulcerate (on a Monday, ugh) and Demilich/Hooded Menace on a Tuesday.

If it's a choice, pick Ulcerate over Vektor. Ulcerate's drummer is one of the most incredible drummers I've seen live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2R5kCu0Tuw

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

:captainpop: :rock:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

thepitgoddess posted:

If it's a choice, pick Ulcerate over Vektor. Ulcerate's drummer is one of the most incredible drummers I've seen live.

That one isn't much of a choice between one or the other, they're far enough apart. It's more so a mustering of motivation if anything since they're ALL on weekdays. Some of these venues finish up at like 12:30 or later and my alarm goes off at 5:30. It usually takes me several days to recover so I typically reserve my fatigue for bands I'm hyped about :D

I linked my friend Vektor and he liked it, so that one is for certain. Demilich/HM is next week but I think I'm set on that one too. Man, I'll probably go to Ulcerate too. gently caress it. :smithicide:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Speaking of the San Diego metal scene-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4erLB5S6I

lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is really good. I'm glad they didn't putz it up with death vox.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

gently caress yes

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

joem83 posted:

lol

pretty cool that some of the posters itt formed a band

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

joem83 posted:

lol

I'm dying.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B3TBfBDeCPo

In case you wondered what Moth Into Flame sounded like with AJFA scooped guitars and no bass.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

joem83 posted:

lol

that's the drummer from carnifex :wtc:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

This is really good. I'm glad they didn't putz it up with death vox.

The whole album is loving amazing probably my AOTY. The video for III with Bjorn from Soilwork as a poorly cut paper hand puppet is a thing of beauty

And yeah the clean vocals on the cover are just perfect, I'm really impressed with his singing voice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

joem83 posted:

lol

The female vocalist has that thousand yard stare as if to say "why me, Lord?".

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I lost it at the slow motion hair twirl

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

joem83 posted:

lol

A couple of things I like about this:

1) cutaway shots of drummer shot at dusk mixed in with everthing else shot during daylight

2) band sets up out on dirt lot to lipsynch to music but decides to string out all their cables and guitars have their effects pedals all set up lol

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Lord Almighty is going on the road soon and they're pretty drat good. Check 'em out if you can.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Checks city list for the area, Charlotte SC, the NC goons finally got their wish.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sabaton is a Cool Band and I regret not listening to them earlier.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Vargatron posted:

Really fun band to watch live. I saw them in Tucson with Amon Amarth and I'm pretty sure it was their first show in that town and by like the third song people were chanting their name. Plus their bassist has the biggest, dorkiest smile on his face the whole time.

Gojira was in Tempe last week and I can't believe I didn't hear about it :smithicide:

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Oh cool, my friend's band (Mo'ynoq, misspelled in the flyer) is opening for several dates of the Lord Almighty tour. Guess I'll have to go to the Raleigh show on Halloween night.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fingers McGee posted:

Checks city list for the area, Charlotte SC, the NC goons finally got their wish.

and people say those change.org petitions are a waste of time

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Really fun band to watch live. I saw them in Tucson with Amon Amarth and I'm pretty sure it was their first show in that town and by like the third song people were chanting their name. Plus their bassist has the biggest, dorkiest smile on his face the whole time.

This is what I like most about them tbh. They're all unashamedly there to have a real good time, it's a refreshing change up from madmetal.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Detective Thompson posted:

Lord Almighty is going on the road soon and they're pretty drat good. Check 'em out if you can.

Hey, an Indy date! It really peeves me out that in order to see a lot of bands that aren't the really big ones you either have to drive three hours to Chicago or an hour and a half to Fort Wayne when they do bother to stop by Indiana. (I'm looking at you Blind Guardian)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

a retard posted:

Hey, an Indy date! It really peeves me out that in order to see a lot of bands that aren't the really big ones you either have to drive three hours to Chicago or an hour and a half to Fort Wayne when they do bother to stop by Indiana. (I'm looking at you Blind Guardian)

That's a huge part of why I left Cinci tbh. Got tired of hauling to Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Louisville.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I dunno if any of you are going to the California Deathfest this weekend, but my friend and I will be there all three days. Hell of a lineup.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

a retard posted:

They're from Germany, though. I mean, touring is great and all, but it's a big commitment and I can't flaw foreign bands from cutting some corners.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Optimum Gulps posted:

Oh cool, my friend's band (Mo'ynoq, misspelled in the flyer) is opening for several dates of the Lord Almighty tour. Guess I'll have to go to the Raleigh show on Halloween night.

Honestly your friends band isn't bad at all. Maybe not the most groundbreaking thing of all time but they seem cool enough that I'd go see them live. I don't care for lord almighty much though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Saw Meshuggah in Orlando on Monday. Great show, really great encore, but I am absolutely crushed that they didn't play New Millennium Cyanide Christ. That's two tours in a row I haven't seen them play my favorite song. Do I have the wrong expectations? I think of NMCC as one of the quintessential Meshuggah tracks.

Detective Thompson posted:

Weird choice of Florida cities. You hit Orlando, Tampa, and St Pete on the same tour? Maybe a large band can get away hitting both Orlando and Tampa at once, but Tampa and St Pete? I take it this band is from Florida, then?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Your friend's band is pretty good.

Revol posted:

Weird choice of Florida cities. You hit Orlando, Tampa, and St Pete on the same tour? Maybe a large band can get away hitting both Orlando and Tampa at once, but Tampa and St Pete? I take it this band is from Florida, then?

Boston.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Isn't hitting Tampa and St. Pete like playing Minneapolis *and* St. Paul?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't hitting Tampa and St. Pete like playing Minneapolis *and* St. Paul?

If not closer. They should avoid tampa all together tbh though.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Vargatron posted:

They're also apparently legitimately nice to their fans. I heard they stayed for hours doing a signing session in Wacken once, because a lot of people wanted autographs.

I've met some of them in person but it wouldn't be the first time someone is nice to the media but lovely to the fans. They seem to be just nice and dorky.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
In unsurprising news the new Wormrot album is loving awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRhYE3GRs4

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Non Serviam posted:

They're also apparently legitimately nice to their fans. I heard they stayed for hours doing a signing session in Wacken once, because a lot of people wanted autographs.

I've met some of them in person but it wouldn't be the first time someone is nice to the media but lovely to the fans. They seem to be just nice and dorky.

After the Gorguts show yesterday Luc was at the merch table chatting with every fan- taking selfies, signing albums and show posters. Took forever but he was so nice and everyone was so stoked :3:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Elrobot posted:

After the Gorguts show yesterday Luc was at the merch table chatting with every fan- taking selfies, signing albums and show posters. Took forever but he was so nice and everyone was so stoked :3:

This was a couple of years ago right after "Colored Sands" was released and in the middle of December, but Gorguts came to Columbus with Origin and Nero Di Marte and it was an incredibly snowy day, so the promoter whom I'm friends with figured it was going to be a poo poo turn-out because not only was the weather awful, but just that morning it was leaked that Gorguts would be back just a few months later with Carcass as the headliner.

When I arrived at the venue there was very little turn-out at first, but this was just as the doors opened. However, much like what you said, Luc was there at the merch table a friend and I chatted with him for about 10 minutes because it seemed like everybody was just missing the fact that he was actually there. He was so incredibly grateful and happy to see as many people as he did, and was more than pleased to take a picture with my friend and I.

Sadly, due to the combination of the weather and the leaked tour dates, the turn-out wasn't as bad as they had originally thought it would be, but Luc couldn't have been happier up there playing for the die-hard fans that were able to make it out. Not only that, but I was able to witness John Longstreth pull double duty with Origin and Gorguts, and that was absolutely mindblowing.

Do you know who are not hospitable to fans in any way? Glen from Deicide and Ravn from 1349. gently caress the both of them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Elrobot posted:

I met him once and, after we talked about music, he talked to me about all the wood work he does. He builds really amazing stuff. Imagine Ron Swanson, but metal.
He's extremely nice.

Edit. As for assholes in person. Nergal. He's polite, but he thinks he's the poo poo.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
All the guys I've run into from metal bands have been really cool. Especially the guys from Sikth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Barney Greenway and J.R. Hayes are super nice.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

-nergal walks around dressed like a loving clown I can't see how he could be genuinely nice to anyone while looking like that. he's a walking PR stunt

-orly glen benton was not nice to you shieeet

TBH I never bought into that "metal musicians being nice" thingy. Ok some guys may want their special snowflake picture with their favorite artists so they can show it off - but saying someone sucks just cause he doesn't give a gently caress about you or even pretend to do so, is LAME.

Metal people are nice in general but they are also direct and honest, most find it hard to respond to flattery and are bored by smalltalk.They like to see you headbang and jump up and down and sing their lyrics.

Meet 'n greets suck so loving hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I've been listening to the violent sleep of reason every day now since it came out

It loving owns in its entirety - lyrically as well as musically. seems like colossus was just a speedbump for meshuggah which is relieving

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 14, 2016