Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brannock posted:

Wow, insightful and incisive.

He's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

sarmhan posted:

Nah, that's dumb because she was regent for many years, de facto ruler for others, and key adviser for more.

If the latest EU4 expansion has taught me anything its that a Queen regent counts as your ruler for all intents and purposes. Funny, no one seemed to complain about having Bismark as the leader of Germany in civ 4 and 5. Its almost as if the complaints about her not being officially the monarch are just an excuse for people to cover their real motivations or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the whole point of the Deluxe Edition of this game is that it'll get you four DLC packs cheaper. (And the soundtrack, I guess.) We know there's going to be paid DLC, and that it will be "maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders". (...Which, tangentially, makes it really obvious that multiple leaders is going to be a thing.)

The question is price and how much each bit of DLC contains; since it's twenty bucks more for the Deluxe Edition, which is four "packs", each pack is going to cost five or more bucks when sold separately, at the least.

I'm glad they were smart enough to make the Aztecs free, even if the timed exclusive preorder bonus thing is silly, though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I remember they mentioned that an encampment can hold a stables OR a barracks. Are there any other building dilemmas, that people know of?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I remember they mentioned that an encampment can hold a stables OR a barracks. Are there any other building dilemmas, that people know of?
Art museum vs. archaeological museum. The art museum has slots for three of the normal kind of works you produce with great people, while an archaeological museum lets you build a (rather expensive) archaeologist who can harvest three ruins for artifacts. Basically archaeology museums let you turn raw production into culture (after traipsing around the map for a bit), while great people points are exploited in art museums.

Interestingly, it looks like archaeologists are tied to museums- each museum city needs to make its own archaeologist which doesn't have any listed charges or uses, and once you've filled up your museum the archaeologist disappears (except England, which can build two archaeologists to fill up each of its six slot archaeological museums). If you lose your archaeologist to barbarians (as Quill18 did) it just teleports back to its home city.

It's a system that every streamer I've watched has had issues with, as it's deceptively similar to Civ V, but works somewhat differently. You don't just spam archaeologists anymore, as each one is really just production phase two of a particular museum you built. And likewise there's no reason to spam archaeological museums unless you can afford to follow them up with expensive archaeologists.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 12, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So the game mechanics encourage the English to plunder ancient treasures instead of making art? Hahah, that's great.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Krazyface posted:

So the game mechanics encourage the English to plunder ancient treasures instead of making art? Hahah, that's great.
Yep!

They seem like a strong cultural civ. Just not their own culture.

And all their foreign continent bonuses and personality traits seem to be supporting that end goal. So while Spain gets intercontinental bonuses to encourage a global religious victory, England is encouraged to settle cities all over the world with the ultimate goal of gathering up exotic ancient treasure from every civilization to put in museums to win a cultural victory.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Rule, Britannia!

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Can archaelogists get into Academic Combat where they badmouth eachother and try to get eachother blacklisted from journals? How do you stop England when they're trying to grab your precious marbles?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

People also complained that she wasn't actually ever the leader of france, which is at least somewhat relevant
It's as relevant as it is for Gandhi or Nobunaga, among others.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Can archaelogists get into Academic Combat where they badmouth eachother and try to get eachother blacklisted from journals? How do you stop England when they're trying to grab your precious marbles?

Just be thankful they're not Paleontoligists
:black101:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Grapplejack posted:

I would honestly really like to see an Israeli civ lead by Solomon, but I don't know how well that would go over with people.

Alternate leader: Herod the Great. That would be even more popular!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Not as popular as Pontius Pilate would be :v:

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Groke posted:

Alternate leader: Herod the Great. That would be even more popular!

Sandy Koufax is the only good choice

Cheatum the Evil Midget fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 12, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Kassad posted:

Not as popular as Pontius Pilate would be :v:

He'd be the equivalent of a Great General, surely? He was only a governor.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

He's not wrong.

I don't think anybody had a problem with Catherine the Great or Queen Elizabeth in previous games?

Most of the grognarding probably came from European nativists.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I too have Opinions About Leaders, but then I remind myself that this is not a simulation; it's not even an abstraction (Paradox games are abstractions, not simulations). It's the 4X equivalent of Clone High, and having a diverse and colourful cast is more important than historical fidelity. "Leaders" should be less about how much official authority they held, and more about how they represent their culture.

PS. Catherine de Medici is a better choice than Napoleon ever was.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There's not a thing in the world that someone isn't going to complain about on the internet, who the heck cares?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloodly posted:

His unique GP ability would be, kill the next Great Prophet any civ generates and found your own religion instead

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Bloodly posted:

Yeah, not to mention that he was a Roman. Hence fury from anyone who really wants to see Israel in the game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This is pretty interesting- same site as before, but looking at a different page. It's all the tech/civics/wonder quotes.

All the techs and civics have 2 quotes, all the wonders have 1.

It's the first strategy game I know of that numbers John Carmack, Brian May, Terry Pratchett and George Carlin amongst its source contributors.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

His unique GP ability would be, kill the next Great Prophet any civ generates and found your own religion instead

Depending on how the higher difficulties work, that could actually work, sadly enough.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hogama posted:

This is pretty interesting- same site as before, but looking at a different page. It's all the tech/civics/wonder quotes.

It's the first strategy game I know of that numbers John Carmack, Brian May, Terry Pratchett and George Carlin amongst its source contributors.

Paulo Coelho quote for writing, lol. That will make elitist brazilians really mad

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

Adam Savage and Lemony Snickett, too!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As expected, it's Gorgo!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gorgo looks super cool!

I bet somebody is going to complain she looks too masculine

sarmhan posted:

Nah, that's dumb because she was regent for many years, de facto ruler for others, and key adviser for more.

:agreed: but it as at least more relevant than "she wasn't even born here!"

Ghostlight posted:

It's as relevant as it is for Gandhi or Nobunaga, among others.

To be clear here, I hate that Gandhi leads India every game

And I also know the real reason they bring these things up about the female leaders and not the male ones

Jump King fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 12, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Krazyface posted:

This is wonderful and I can't wait to do this. :eng101:

e: Gorgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syS-SFtr-44

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 12, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Gorgo looks cool and I can't wait to roll with her and Tomyris as warrior queens.

I can't remember what the hoplite graphics were for Pericles. Were they the same, or does Gorgo's UU have a different, Spartan model?

I noticed her capital also defaults to Sparta instead of Athens, which is a cool touch.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Gorgo's hoplites do indeed have minor skin change.

Spartan lambda on Gorgo's hoplites. ...And then I noticed, actually, that some of Pericles' had it, too. Ah well.

Gorgo's Greece does have a different border color, and it was confirmed that both leaders can be in a game at once.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

"LOVE the delts on her, will have to play as her just so I can flex them :-)"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Yeah surprisingly I haven't seen anything like I was expecting, which I thought would happen because people complained that Tomyris "looked like a man"

As somebody stated before, somebody will be a shithead about everything they release, so I should really just stop caring.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Byzantine posted:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah surprisingly I haven't seen anything like I was expecting, which I thought would happen because people complained that Tomyris "looked like a man"

As somebody stated before, somebody will be a shithead about everything they release, so I should really just stop caring.

quote:

lol didn't know Greece had trannys back then

Though the comments sections mostly seems to be either upset that we didn't get Leonidas (famous for being a man and losing his most famous battle) or being enamored with her boob shake (hell, same).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you guys would be happier if you stopped caring what the boogeyman other from non-SA sites thinks

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So nice to have multiple leaders per civ confirmed. I missed that feature coming from IV to V. I just hope like in IV you can mix leaders and civs willy-nilly in custom modes. Admittedly in IV the leaders were mostly a list of traits and personalities so it was a bit easier.

But Gorgo of the Aztecs would be fun.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Alkydere posted:

So nice to have multiple leaders per civ confirmed. I missed that feature coming from IV to V. I just hope like in IV you can mix leaders and civs willy-nilly in custom modes. Admittedly in IV the leaders were mostly a list of traits and personalities so it was a bit easier.

It might also create some problems though, like Mvemba a Nzinga of Russia/Arabia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not hard to imagine a "Classic Leaders" DLC is in the works with longtime series veterans like Alexander, Isabella, Elizabeth, and Catherine (Russia). Maybe package it with a Classic Civilizations DLC or expansion bringing back Persia, the Mongols, and the Inca.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I do hope the other civ's will get a second leader over time, I really dig how Pericles and Gogo both want to pursue the culture win, but have different ways of getting there. I think if you did that for all the civs that'd be pretty darn good!

For example, as it stands America has Teddy Roosevelt, who in conjunctions with his Civ does this:

-Founding Fathers (America): Earn all government legacy bonuses in half the usual time.
-Big Stick (Teddy Roosevelt): Likes peaceful civilizations that have a city on his home continent. Hates civilizations starting wars against a city-state or civilization based on his continent.
-Units receive a +5 Combat Strength bonus on their home continent. +1 Appeal to all tiles in a city with a National Park. Gain the Rough Rider unique

As stated in the video, America shines in the mid/late game with strong military units and extra cultural production, while stacking bonuses from the past. Roosevelt provides the military edge with his Rough Rider unit, and his focus is on protecting his home continent.

From this you could tweak another leader to try and synergize with America cultural bonuses in another way. Maybe have Franklin Roosevelt as your leader and you earn culture fighting in wars away from your home continent or do something like that with Woodrow Wilson (unique unit: Doughboy).

Alternatively, you could play with the Founding Fathers ability and have a leader like Thomas Jefferson and get extra culture for switching your government around or playing with different policies and options.

Really you could do a lot of really cool stuff with multiple leaders for a civ, the small tweaks can really add up to different playstyles and different interactions with the AI.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hogama posted:

I've been assuming this whole time that Catherine's inclusion was largely suggested by lead designer Ed Beach's board game work and research into the 16th century.

Weirdly that never clicked for me but yeah I first heard of Catherine from Beach's Virgin Queen

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Krazyface posted:

They could do the Statue of Liberty, though I understand why they might be reluctant after all the BS over de Medici.

I don't think some small group of people upset about de Medici had any effect whatsoever on future leaders to include or not include.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Is Digital Deluxe edition a pro buy or should I just preorder the regular? I can't remember if Civ V's version of the bonuses was worth it or not, all I remember was maybe Babylon + Denmark + Spain and some other maps. If it includes something like Gods & Kings eventually I'm down but otherwise I'm a little skeptical if it's worth the extra $20 or not.