Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Who was the evil lady at the end, and what was that thing in the corner? Someone undergoing human->inhuman metamorphosis? For a really long time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sammus posted:

Who was the evil lady at the end, and what was that thing in the corner? Someone undergoing human->inhuman metamorphosis? For a really long time?

She was the senator on the news show she was watching, where she railed against the new SHIELD. I imagine the incomplete inhuman is her motivation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mastajake posted:

She was the senator on the news show she was watching, where she railed against the new SHIELD. I imagine the incomplete inhuman is her motivation.

Also her brother, as she said she was at her brother's house.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So apparently the solution to ghost-induced psychosis is literally "have you tried turning her off and on again?" :psyduck:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sammus posted:

I can't remember how terrigen works, exactly, but I assumed he was dead? Like what happened with Triplett before Daisy accidentally disintegrated him.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can't remember how terrigen works, exactly, but I assumed he was dead? Like what happened with Triplett before Daisy accidentally disintegrated him.

Only diviner metal does that. Terrigen gas has absolutely no effect on regular people.

As for the rest of the episode: please bump Yo-Yo to full-time cast member, have Fitz stab more people with pencils, someone check if that senator is someone from the comics.

And I would have laughed so hard if Mace not only revealed SHIELD, but demonstrated his Inhuman abilities by having his PR guy hit him with steel rods or something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So now May is one of the countless people in the MCU who came back from the death.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If being resuscitated by defibrillation counts, the difference between the MCU and real world on that point could be mistaken for a rounding error. It's certainly not in the same league as being revived several days after taking a spear through the chest.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well yes. But it's technically correct.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but my theory is that (potential spoilers based on comics plot I guess) Robbie's brother has been somehow possessed by their uncle Eli. Otherwise his characterization this week was super lovely and weird.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Only diviner metal does that. Terrigen gas has absolutely no effect on regular people.

As for the rest of the episode: please bump Yo-Yo to full-time cast member, have Fitz stab more people with pencils, someone check if that senator is someone from the comics.

And I would have laughed so hard if Mace not only revealed SHIELD, but demonstrated his Inhuman abilities by having his PR guy hit him with steel rods or something.

Yeah but all the terrigen crystals on the show are the dodgy ones that Momma Inhuman made, which have the metal all mixed in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mastajake posted:

She was the senator on the news show she was watching

Senator Nadeer.

Pronounced "nadir".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah but all the terrigen crystals on the show are the dodgy ones that Momma Inhuman made, which have the metal all mixed in.

Nah the terrigen got thrown in the sea and is infecting people via fish oil pills. Regular humans don't have any adverse reaction from the pills but people who have the Inhuman gene get rockified.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah the terrigen got thrown in the sea and is infecting people via fish oil pills. Regular humans don't have any adverse reaction from the pills but people who have the Inhuman gene get rockified.

But it's not clear he took the pills. He could have been exposed to one of the rods.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Weren't the rods all destroyed in the season 2 finale or am I misremembering that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Open Source Idiom posted:

But it's not clear he took the pills. He could have been exposed to one of the rods.

But even then he should have shattered within a minute or so, something weird is going on regardless.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All electronics stop working in 7 major cities. Not like a power outage, because backup generators and battery powered stuff won't work either. Just in hospitals alone, we're talking thousands dead, right?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Senator Nadeer.

Pronounced "nadir".

She looks a lot like that idiot Trump media spokesperson and was also spouting dumb things on TV. I thought that was what they were going for until I heard she was a senator.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

All electronics stop working in 7 major cities. Not like a power outage, because backup generators and battery powered stuff won't work either. Just in hospitals alone, we're talking thousands dead, right?

Probably. Also, EMP pulses destroy electronics. Miami wouldn't have just turned back on they killed the device. It would be years before the city was back to normal.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but my theory is that (potential spoilers based on comics plot I guess) Robbie's brother has been somehow possessed by their uncle Eli. Otherwise his characterization this week was super lovely and weird.

Eli is the spirit bonded to Robbie in the comics, though there was a bit when he hopped around because Robbie wasn't playing ball...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But even then he should have shattered within a minute or so, something weird is going on regardless.

He's probably still undergoing terrigenesis. I mean, it took Andrew like a month to break out of his cocoon, and it took another month or two after that for the actual alteration to set. Why this is causing Crazy Lady to do crazy, I have no idea.

Also I'm fully on board with Jeff Mace now. He initially comes off as fake and untrustworthy, but he really is just a goddamn goober with super powers and it owns. Even when he's being stern and demanding he still uses cheesy metaphors. It's basically Golden Age Superman, CIA Director :allears:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

cant cook creole bream posted:

So now May is one of the countless people in the MCU who came back from the death.

It's better to think of it as May is no longer one of the few people in the MCU who has not come back from the dead.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chokes McGee posted:

He's probably still undergoing terrigenesis. I mean, it took Andrew like a month to break out of his cocoon, and it took another month or two after that for the actual alteration to set. Why this is causing Crazy Lady to do crazy, I have no idea.

Also I'm fully on board with Jeff Mace now. He initially comes off as fake and untrustworthy, but he really is just a goddamn goober with super powers and it owns. Even when he's being stern and demanding he still uses cheesy metaphors. It's basically Golden Age Superman, CIA Director :allears:

I don't think so? I thought Andrew took off cause he needed time to deal with his new reality after the transformation. I imagine if he was in a cocoon for a month someone would have noticed.

It's going to be really awkward for the movies not to acknowledge the events in this episode. I hope there's at least a throw away line about controversy or attacks over the accords.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

D-Pad posted:

Probably. Also, EMP pulses destroy electronics. Miami wouldn't have just turned back on they killed the device. It would be years before the city was back to normal.

Yeah, so that's the most devastating terror attack of all time, in a world where a city flew up into the sky and then fell back down

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, so that's the most devastating terror attack of all time, in a world where a city flew up into the sky and then fell back down

Didn't that only kill about 50 people or something absurd?

Edit: 177. gently caress it. Wrong twice on one page.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Season 1 Fitz would poo poo himself if he saw Season 4 Fitz's badassery. Little scientist buddy was straight-up destroying these mooks, no fucks given. "It's rudimentary science." :science:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spergatory posted:

Season 1 Fitz would poo poo himself if he saw Season 4 Fitz's badassery. Little scientist buddy was straight-up destroying these mooks, no fucks given. "It's rudimentary science." :science:

Pasty geek Shield agent is still a Shield agent.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
drat, Yo-Yo stole the show during that episode. I laughed out loud when she grabbed that dude's knife and waggled it mockingly at him. Clownin' on dudes.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Bruceski posted:

Pasty geek Shield agent is still a Shield agent.

Season 1 Fitz was still on the green/timid side as far as actual agent/field work. He probably would poo poo himself if he saw what a god damned badass he turned into over the course of seasons 2, 3, and now 4.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

FELD1 posted:

drat, Yo-Yo stole the show during that episode. I laughed out loud when she grabbed that dude's knife and waggled it mockingly at him. Clownin' on dudes.
She has so much fun with her powers. It's great to watch.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

He's also supposed to be on par ability wise with Cap America, I hope we get to see him as The Patriot.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Can we get a gif of Fitz stabbing that dude?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Guy Goodbody posted:

D-Pad posted:

One of the many chilling facts about a potential nuclear conflict(which I learned from Threads, the most terrifying film ever made) is how the opening salvo of an attack would be aimed solely at taking out all communications and power via an EMP pulse, rendering the target country defenceless even before the bombs hit ground level.

In a way it's a worse prospect than the initial devastation of an H-bomb, because even if civilisation survived it would never fully recover. Without power or technology we would be utterly hosed, pushed right back to the dark ages again. An EMP-based attack alone could be enough to cripple a nation.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bio347 posted:

She has so much fun with her powers. It's great to watch.

Ya its a breath of fresh air over all the other people with powers that seem to have them only begrudgingly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It didn't seem like an actual EMP device, seeing as power came back on when they shut it down. Just pretend it was a city wide electronic shutter downer device because comics.

but regardless, thousands of people probably died

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I am totally fine with accepting this was some kind of dampener rather than any kind of EMP pulse in a traditional sense. Plus AoS does follow comic rules.

Did they ever say where the advanced weapons the Watchdogs had came from? Based on Luke Cage, I'd bet it will be shown to be Hammer.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I am totally fine with accepting this was some kind of dampener rather than any kind of EMP pulse in a traditional sense. Plus AoS does follow comic rules.

Did they ever say where the advanced weapons the Watchdogs had came from? Based on Luke Cage, I'd bet it will be shown to be Hammer.

With the way they showed they showed the effected areas to be some sort of bizarre non-standard geometric shape for each area it was pretty clearly not a proper EMP, that was just their best guess at what the hell it was. To actually bother thinking on it, it was probably something that tapped into the local power supply to gently caress with voltage and current flow or something equally goofy. Having to follow existing power infrastructure and having a set length of line it can effect things along is the only reasonable explanation for the map of areas effected. But that's putting an awful lot of thought into what was probably just "magical comicbook electricity negation pulse bomb" in the script. And yeah, it was probably Hammer that supplied the weapons. Hell, probably supplied the devices too.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Can we get a gif of Fitz stabbing that dude?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yep, Hammer tech getting into hands of non-military was a huge plot point in Luke Cage, and running with that in AoS makes sense. Lets them put crazy tech out there and have a source for it that's already established. It could also come from AIM, but Hammer is probably fresh in peoples minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I'm just so proud. That's some legit hand-to-hand combat stuff right there. Somebody's been to a few training sessions with May. :allears:

• Locked thread