Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY8WTWAw6XM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How can the English be so anal and controlling about things but then allow basically anything with indicators on the road? Such a juxtaposition.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially considering the visible damage it's inflicting on the asphalt. I guess they love resurfacing things!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Coredump posted:

How can the English be so anal and controlling about things but then allow basically anything with indicators on the road? Such a juxtaposition.

Because it meets the rules dear boy and rules are rules.

xzzy posted:

Especially considering the visible damage it's inflicting on the asphalt. I guess they love resurfacing things!

Resurfacing? What nonsense. That road is perfectly fine, you just need to stiffen your upper lip more is the problem.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You'll change your tune once Lucas starts making suspension components.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I saw a clip on the Top Gear website about taking the McLaren P1 prototype to the MOT since it's three years old. And the test seemed like nothing. Even here in Norway, not under the EU (but as part of the EEC get all the rules anyway) the test is quite extensive. Some of the items in the EU periodic are wiper fluid levels and nozzle functionality, brake disc condition, load-bearing rust, damper function, oil leaks, fuel line rust, etc etc and it just got more stringent not long ago. Does the UK get to do their own thing as an exemption?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MOT testing is pretty much a safety check, so it's stuff like do your lights work? can you see out of the windscreen unimpeded? do all the things that help you see out of the windscreen work properly? are your wheels all attached? Do your brakes work? Is your exhaust complete and meet emissions? If your poo poo leaks you may get an advisory, if it's a major leak then it'll get failed. There are many ways around the checks and many more MOT testers who are pretty lenient of stuff you know you need to fix "I'll pass it, just make sure you get that done soon, yeah?"

...as such if you own an older car and go to the right person you can get a car that's safe but has a couple of niggles on the road with relative ease. Other places will write up advisory notes on everything, the place I went stated the obvious poo poo like my car was missing the badge off the nose (it was in my glove box).

You can get failed for the daftest poo poo, most fails are down to bulbs not working which is a super cheap fix and your wiper nozzles being blocked. That's most fails according to the DVLA. If you're not a complete idiot and your car isn't a mess it's not really hard to pass.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sounds about like the Mass safety inspections. Most shops around here will toss new bulbs in for you and add 3-5 bucks each to the inspection fee if that's all that was wrong. The first time I got my first XJ inspected, I didn't even know I went in with a bad license plate lamp until they told me I owed them 32 bucks instead of 29. I was perfectly happy with that, but I precheck the entire lighting system, parking brake, tread depth, suspension, and horn before bringing it in for inspection now, because a safety fail means I have to walk home, get the other car, go get parts, fix it in their parking lot, get it inspected again, drive other car home, walk back, and drive car #1 home if I want to follow the law, since a safety failure sticker means you are not legal to drive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...as such if you own an older car and go to the right person you can get a car that's safe but has a couple of niggles on the road with relative ease. Other places will write up advisory notes on everything, the place I went stated the obvious poo poo like my car was missing the badge off the nose (it was in my glove box).
Sounds like a tester/station that's just had a good bumming from the DVSA and is now being so by the book, they're finding bits that were never even written.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

kastein posted:

Sounds about like the Mass safety inspections. Most shops around here will toss new bulbs in for you and add 3-5 bucks each to the inspection fee if that's all that was wrong. The first time I got my first XJ inspected, I didn't even know I went in with a bad license plate lamp until they told me I owed them 32 bucks instead of 29. I was perfectly happy with that, but I precheck the entire lighting system, parking brake, tread depth, suspension, and horn before bringing it in for inspection now, because a safety fail means I have to walk home, get the other car, go get parts, fix it in their parking lot, get it inspected again, drive other car home, walk back, and drive car #1 home if I want to follow the law, since a safety failure sticker means you are not legal to drive.

I've had the same sticker on my car that expired in 2014 in MA :ssh:

(Granted it gets driven on open roads maybe three times a year)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I went to my local track, Lime Rock Park, on Saturday and saw a thing... :3:

That interior is just :swoon:

Two bonus other things

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think a Honda Beat would be a neat little race car. Even though I live in the land of JDM amusements it always brings a smile to my face when someone has those, unlike when I see a Skyline.

Never realized how tiny the stereo is before :3:

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

To buy a private plate for a three wheeled tupperware is truly AI.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Octopus Magic posted:

I've had the same sticker on my car that expired in 2014 in MA :ssh:

(Granted it gets driven on open roads maybe three times a year)

I nearly lost my license because of inspection sticker tickets in 2014, and that's basically all I ever got in trouble for, so I play it super by the books when it comes to inspections now.

Mass takes inspections super super seriously. As in, they count the same as speeding or a stop sign or getting in an accident when it comes to the habitual traffic offender laws. Or for that matter an exhaust noise ticket. I know a guy who DID lose his license for those, he didn't realize they were a moving violation that counted just as much as any other.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think a Honda Beat would be a neat little race car. Even though I live in the land of JDM amusements it always brings a smile to my face when someone has those, unlike when I see a Skyline.

Never realized how tiny the stereo is before :3:

There are several in my local area but I have yet to see one with a nice clean top, they're all a bit tattered and half have rotted back windows.

Re: Testing. The way everybody talks about the Japanese testing certificate and how much shops charge to have your car pre-inspected, you might assume it was wholly rigorous test. I had the time so I decided to save a few bucks and take my Miata down to the inspection center myself when I went to get it registered. It was actually pretty rinky-dink. First check is lights and horn, next while you're waiting for the rolling road tests some guy with a long hammer whacks your lug nuts to make sure none are loose. On the rolling road they check brakes, headlight alignment and speedo. After that you roll over a pit where some guy whacks your undercarriage with a hammer to make sure you got nothing hanging loose and your exhaust doesn't have any amazingly obvious holes. Finally a mechanical floor bumps your tires while an attendant makes sure your car doesn't bounce about like you have blown shocks. Also somewhere in there they shove a probe up your exhaust and make sure the gases are within acceptable levels. I failed the inspection for a blown bulb in the third brake light but the official government inspector said I could take out the assembly in the parking lot and come back in and he'd pass me. I did and he did. :v:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

Ahahahaha, "visible damage".

This is a few examples of the roads in my town.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

In the first two, you can really see how rapidly the roads have deteriorated in the last few years using the year slider.

Scottish roads in particular are absolutely hosed. The only road that has seen major resurfacing in the last few years has been the High street.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CKVtr2CsW0

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if they operate on a 20 year cycle they probably have even more regulations about common folk not tearing it up!

It's an annual debate in places like Alaska, every time a vote is coming there's talk about whether or not to ban studs to preserve the roads because people run them well past breakup.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Godholio posted:

You'll change your tune once Lucas starts making suspension components.
Unintentional hellaflush.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Falken posted:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

In the first two, you can really see how rapidly the roads have deteriorated in the last few years using the year slider.

Scottish roads in particular are absolutely hosed. The only road that has seen major resurfacing in the last few years has been the High street.

The roads from Glasgow up to Fort William were particularly nice when I drove them a few weeks back. Loch Lomond's were a bit naff in places but there were seemingly new swathes of tarmac all over the place up there. It was glorious.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Falken posted:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

That's loving quaint. Those roads are fine compared to one's in the US. You really have no idea just how loving horrific our roads are.

:(

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

That's loving quaint. Those roads are fine compared to one's in the US. You really have no idea just how loving horrific our roads are.

:(

No poo poo. I saw that and was wondering why you were posting those pristine roads. Not even any wheel destroying holes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Funzo posted:

No poo poo. I saw that and was wondering why you were posting those pristine roads. Not even any wheel destroying holes.

You guys try driving in the Tri State area, I'd rather :suicide: it is insanely bad around here especially the closer you get to NYC

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

xzzy posted:

It's an annual debate in places like Alaska, every time a vote is coming there's talk about whether or not to ban studs to preserve the roads because people run them well past breakup.

Well if the municipality would start plowing and sanding the loving roads they control, studs wouldn't be an issue. Seriously, the maintenance and clearing of the roads is night and day in Anchorage between the parts the municipality and the state own. Feel like you're going to vibrate to death and fall in a pothole big enough to swallow a kei car? Muni controlled. Clear, well maintained roads? SOA controlled.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are like seven tri-state areas.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

48/3=16 :v:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

iospace posted:

(and no, I would never take pictures while the car was moving).

I would:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not at 6666 RPM, 0/10 and reported

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:drat: I've always wondered about taking one of those and setting it up for road coarse racing. They're fast, light, cheap, plentiful and easy as hell to get parts for and work on.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

MOT testing is pretty much a safety check, so it's stuff like do your lights work? can you see out of the windscreen unimpeded? do all the things that help you see out of the windscreen work properly? are your wheels all attached? Do your brakes work? Is your exhaust complete and meet emissions? If your poo poo leaks you may get an advisory, if it's a major leak then it'll get failed. There are many ways around the checks and many more MOT testers who are pretty lenient of stuff you know you need to fix "I'll pass it, just make sure you get that done soon, yeah?"

You can get failed for the daftest poo poo, most fails are down to bulbs not working which is a super cheap fix and your wiper nozzles being blocked. That's most fails according to the DVLA. If you're not a complete idiot and your car isn't a mess it's not really hard to pass.

In the state where I live in the US (Iowa) all you need is a title to show the vehicle is legally yours. No safety/emissions inspections. It's quite funny some of the stuff that makes the road.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

NitroSpazzz posted:

:drat: I've always wondered about taking one of those and setting it up for road coarse racing. They're fast, light, cheap, plentiful and easy as hell to get parts for and work on.

Somebody has a death wish.

angryhampster posted:

In the state where I live in the US (Iowa) all you need is a title to show the vehicle is legally yours. No safety/emissions inspections. It's quite funny some of the stuff that makes the road.

It's pretty ridiculous in most states, no inspections or emissions in Michigan either. But we can't take away anybody's right to drive just because their car isn't safe! :bahgawd:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 12, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

NitroSpazzz posted:

They are fast and light, sure, and some of the parts are common, but in TYOOL 2016 a supermodified is neither cheap nor plentiful.

There are only a handful of tracks that run them (and none are rear engined now). Converting them to road course use would be a feat of engineering, because even the chassis themselves are constructed with a built in left offset. The right side suspension looks like that's how they achieve the offset, but there's actually inches of offset in the chassis from the motor mounts all the way through the driveline.

It would be a bitch to pull off.

That's a scale model, but it illustrates bulkhead location, mounting points etc pretty well.

Supermodifieds are the bleeding edge of "turn left" technology.

e- oh yeah, and the engines are laid over so that the rotating mass helps the car turn left

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 12, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

VikingSkull posted:

They are fast and light, sure, and some of the parts are common, but in TYOOL 2016 a supermodified is neither cheap nor plentiful.

There are only a handful of tracks that run them (and none are rear engined now). Converting them to road course use would be a feat of engineering, because even the chassis themselves are constructed with a built in left offset. The right side suspension looks like that's how they achieve the offset, but there's actually inches of offset in the chassis from the motor mounts all the way through the driveline.

It would be a bitch to pull off.

That's a scale model, but it illustrates bulkhead location, mounting points etc pretty well.

Supermodifieds are the bleeding edge of "turn left" technology.

e- oh yeah, and the engines are laid over so that the rotating mass helps the car turn left

Wow more offset than I expected, rule that one out then. I worked on a stock car for a season and it was only mildly offset. That's more what I was talking due to availability, price, etc.

I'd love to take a supermodified for a spin and see how they handle. I did a few laps in the stock car and it was a monster.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://imgur.com/a/ojoty

http://kiengineering.com/The_Bull.php

Guy builds a really nice Countach replica... In an inaccessible basement.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2016

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The real one CT, NJ, NY :colbert:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

GramCracker posted:

The real one CT, NJ, NY :colbert:

You would think using the definite article would be clue enough.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InitialDave posted:

http://imgur.com/a/ojoty

http://kiengineering.com/The_Bull.php

Guy builds a really nice Countach replica... In an inaccessible basement.
Did he really mill his own rims? :raise:

Also, probably less prone to self immolation than a real Countach

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Larrymer posted:

It's pretty ridiculous in most states, no inspections or emissions in Michigan either. But we can't take away anybody's right to drive just because their car isn't safe! :bahgawd:

Although did you know in Michigan any time your car requires repair totaling (google...) more than 91% of the value of the car, it's supposed to be scrapped? For your 1992 Family Car worth $peanuts that means getting your deductible is kinda sorta supposed to be a no-go. I happened to bring a car back to Michigan after my dad fixed it up in a junk shop in another state, and ended up getting many calls from state examiners because they were trying to take an insurance company to court for what I assume was junking cars then selling them out of state with the non-scrap titles. Or something.

Moral of the story being legally I have assembled a vehicle from spare parts, and was for a time the proud owner of a 2002 Assembled Vehicle. I almost considered trying to put the badges on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Remember the Hoonicorn, Ken Block's crazy-rear end AWD Mustang gymkhana beast?

Now it runs on methanol, and it's got twin turbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQwxhG4ETQ

https://www.hoonigan.com/hoonicorn

:eyepop: