Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Codename Steam looked really ugly and the sooner Steampunk vanishes from the Earth, the better.

Steampunk can be cool when it is done well (like p much every other aesthetic thing ever) so my question is...

what are some games that actually had GOOD steampunk aesthetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just realised that Dragon Quest Builders is probably the closest we're ever getting to a new Actraiser.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i keep tabs on this cause they asked to use some of my music in it, i wanna play it sometime because the guardian legend was a cool idea

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yakuza has that satisfying "overconfident trash mob mook" thing going on

Hey bitch I'm going to kick your rear end!!! Yes you the protagonist of this game and me a faceless thug guy I see this going so well for me I am going to repeatedly taunt you before you smash a bicycle over my head!!!!

You'd think word would eventually get around about the guy handing out beatings in all the JRPG-style thug encounters all over town

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think that's just what it's like to live in Japan

Unless you're a 16 year old girl, then you have to do dance battles

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Seriously, I'm loving it. I played for about 4 hours tonight and outside some annoying camera issues, I've gone nothing but love for it so far. Ransacking old houses for better materials for the town is good poo poo.

Yeah. I've never played a DQ game before, but for me it's recapturing the feeling that minecraft had when it was brand new. When minecraft first started, it was an adventure. I would go on exploratory journeys, building lean-tos for shelter as I went. This goes away pretty quickly in minecraft because it's so mechanically simple that it turns out it's just free sandbox right away. Quests, weapons that are mechanically different, prebuilt things to find in the world, all these things make exploring and such all actually worth it.

And at the same time, it's not a big deal to build the poo poo out of your base. All of the room-building features are really cool. I just unlocked the ability to designate rooms for specific people via signs. So cool.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just got the dropkick and I keep throwing it out even when it's not a good idea

I am very easily amused

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

FirstAidKite posted:

The Chaos Engine back in the 90s comes to mind. Loved the soundtrack on that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arcanum was was good steampunk, also Final Fantasy 6 and I guess 7.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Phantasium posted:

I feel really old today so thread, tell me about a game you were obsessed with when you were little.

vectorman for the genesis

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Beyond Dark Castle

The Scarab of Ra

Both for the Apple Macintosh.

God how long has it been since you heard "Macintosh" instead of just "Mac".

oh god. Think of how many of today's kids have no idea where the name "Mac" came from and would look at you like you were crazy if you told them it was short for "Macintosh".

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

I feel really old today so thread, tell me about a game you were obsessed with when you were little.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLub5kgSgY

This was the poo poo, though I think I didn't have it on my own computer and had to go over to grandma's to play it

The rectangle winged guys that hang around a gem all the time used to piss me off but it's the fast Saturn looking ships that would really gently caress me up cause they just go wherever the hell they want

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Illusion of Gaia. Must've played it 30 times as a kid

It was just the right amount of creepy to unnerve me but keep me interested

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I think I can blame this game entirely for me loving bullshit JRPG dungeons.

I was stuck on the desert sky garden and Mu for a long time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Not a Children posted:

Yep, this was me. I vaguely watching some presumably terrible TV show about upcoming games and they had an extended segment on IoG which made it seem super cool. I wish that game could get rereleased with a better translation.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My first system was the OG game boy so I guess the first game I really spent a ton of time with was Super Mario Land

also must have played through the original Kirby game a ton

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Yep, this was me. I vaguely watching some presumably terrible TV show about upcoming games and they had an extended segment on IoG which made it seem super cool. I wish that game could get rereleased with a better translation.

Just say gently caress it and put Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma and hell, even Granstream Saga in some sort of Enix Quintet collection.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I remember being obsessed with Crusader (or the sequel? No Remorse or No Regret or something) and carrying the strategy guide with me to middle school every day. Glad to hear other nerdy kids did that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I used to look at game magazines with my best friend in middle school in the middle of a sewing class because our teacher was cool and didn't care as long as we did the assignments. I distinctly remember making a sewing pattern after a chocobo because we were looking at a preview or something of FFVIII when the teacher was giving out the assignment.

He was so proud the day he came into school after beating Ozma in FFIX. :3:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Phantasium posted:

Oh boy, do I have a lot of these to talk about

-I always wanted a copy of Yoshi's Island to rent or just to have
-You couldn't pull me away from Banjo-Kazooie whenever I played it, it was the bee's knees
-I remember I was always asking this one kid to lend me his copy of Super Mario RPG, then eventually he just gave it to me for free
-Any sort of Pokemon game I got my hands on was something I played for hours on end
-Paper Mario 1 and 2 were other Mario RPGs I was completely obsessed over, along with the first Mario & Luigi game
-Yoshi's Story was always something I played since I didn't have Yoshi's Island growing up until much later, but I loved it just as much

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sim City 2000 was the first game I ever owned. Doom and C&C Red Alert were obsessions among me and my 10 year old friends too.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Phantasium posted:

Just say gently caress it and put Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma and hell, even Granstream Saga in some sort of Enix Quintet collection.

I would fund this kickstarter unconditionally

Also, Banjo-Kazooie. First game I ever tried to 100% speedrun (this was in like 1999 before I knew speedrunning was a thing). I still remember my time: 5:32:36.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Monkey Fracas posted:

My first system was the OG game boy so I guess the first game I really spent a ton of time with was Super Mario Land

Loved that game too much. Spent way, way, too much time doing 1-1 in a speed run to see how fast I could get through. One gently caress up and its A/B/Select/Start to restart and try again.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Absolutely has to be Monster Rancher. I loved Golems.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura always looked pretty dope, but I never played it cause of all the bugs/crashing issues it had on release.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Mario Paint was something I was so into as a kid that even though I was barely old enough to be able to read I got a bunch of books on music theory from the library and taught myself musical notation just so I could make my Game Boy boop/Cat meow/Taxi horn symphonies that much better. I also spent hours painstakingly recreating sprites for games like Street Fighter 2 off of Nintendo Power screenshots even though I had never actually played it because it was too violent. Years later when I got a Windows 95 PC I would mimic making grudimentary animations in Mario Paint by holding the PgDn key to make the pages of each document flash by like individual frames of film.

It's kind of depressing that now that I finally live in a world where countless game creation engines and art programs and music synthesizer programs are free and have all the documentation and support you could ever want I've lost all interest in those things, if something like Unity had existed when I was a kid my head would probably have exploded.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phantasium posted:

Guess my boring answer would be Link to the Past. That was 1991 and if I got it the year it came out I would have been 9. I had an NES before that but I can't remember which games I played on it over and over -- too young to remember, I guess. LttP though I played so many times, and had the strategy guide, and my friend and I would try to do speed runs in the time he had when he came over to my house on the weekend, and we wanted a sequel so bad we spent time in the computer lab dreaming up our own.

Playing a console meant hogging the family TV but once I got into computer games, oh man. I could spend every waking non-homework hour playing games on the computer! Only a couple years after LttP I'd say my obsessions were Sid Meier's Colonization (the poor man's Civ that I enjoyed more than Civ for some reason) and SimTower. With Colonization I still go through the hassle every now and then of trying to re-install my DOS version.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
we never had consoles but mom brought a computer home from work so we played jeff vogel's exile etc

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my dad had commandos behind enemy lines and that game rules. i couldn't get past the third level i think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blue Revolver is a fun indie pixel art shmup. Never though Id be saying that phrase before

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Steampunk can be cool when it is done well (like p much every other aesthetic thing ever) so my question is...

Metroid Prime 3

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Guy Mann posted:

Mario Paint was something I was so into as a kid that even though I was barely old enough to be able to read I got a bunch of books on music theory from the library and taught myself musical notation just so I could make my Game Boy boop/Cat meow/Taxi horn symphonies that much better. I also spent hours painstakingly recreating sprites for games like Street Fighter 2 off of Nintendo Power screenshots even though I had never actually played it because it was too violent. Years later when I got a Windows 95 PC I would mimic making grudimentary animations in Mario Paint by holding the PgDn key to make the pages of each document flash by like individual frames of film.

It's kind of depressing that now that I finally live in a world where countless game creation engines and art programs and music synthesizer programs are free and have all the documentation and support you could ever want I've lost all interest in those things, if something like Unity had existed when I was a kid my head would probably have exploded.

Haha I know that feeling. I was a big Mario Paint fan and spent a ton of time making art. Later, a friend showed me HyperCard on macintosh, which was this black and white-only scripting and UI system. I proceeded to spend months making animations with it. I even later converted some of them to animated gifs when I got into making web pages but it's all lost now.

Now 20 years later and the idea of spending 6 hours producing 30 seconds of basic animation doesn't interest me a bit and we have a lot better software than HyperCard. I hope there are kids out there making use of what they got these days, they're very lucky.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FirstAidKite posted:

The evil empire from Baten Kaitos.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My most poignant memories of games as a child:

Super Mario Bros. 3 - I remember being amazed when my older sister beat this game.

Sim City (SNES) - I loved this game, and tried so hard to get my city to the last stage. (Megalopolis?) I never got that drat Mario statue!

Super Mario RPG - Absolutely loved this game. I remember pouring through the strategy guide so I could get every secret. It was just such a unique Mario game. One of my favorite games of all time.

Everquest - By far the best video game memories I have. I remember being 13 when my friend showed me this game. "Wait... all these characters running around are REAL PEOPLE?" That alone was mind blowing to my younger self. Add to that the unbelievably vast world, the unknown nature of everything, the difficulty, the awe inspiring sight of seeing someone with a rare weapon, piece of gear, etc. I could go on and on about Everquest. Nothing will ever be able to match the high that game brought me as a middle schooler.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had a weird dream that I saw a copy of xenosaga I & II DS for sale for like 5 bucks at a thrift store, so now I've been thinking about xenosaga

man, xenosaga 2 was such a massive fuckup lol, it killed literally every little bit of enthusiasm I had for that series after 1 had me super hyped for the rest of the series

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/YourFriendMario/status/786204788534939648

I'm disappointed there's no "Wahoo" at the end of this one

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

https://twitter.com/YourFriendMario/status/786204788534939648

I'm disappointed there's no "Wahoo" at the end of this one

this poo poo sucks and isnt funny

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

Mechanically it's like comparing San Andreas to GTA3 - it's basically the same, but more and streamlined. I wasn't nearly as hot on the first one as some people, but Second fixes literally every problem I had with the first and even some I didn't notice until they'd been fixed.

Ultimately it's still a very shallow experience - there's basically no exploration or side stuff (yes, there are Side Stories but I think that them being technically "optional" doesn't change the fact that they play out identically to the main game). I don't think you even have the option of turning off Quest Markers that show you exactly where to go (including the "Side" missions) and even if you could, it'd be masochistic rather than liberating.

It's a lot better in the writing department though - it's hilarious and cute, way moreso than the first one. As long as you like the FF5-style Job System you should be good (since that's all the game is).

Catmancer is an epically mediocre Job though, there's nothing wrong with it but it's not very impressive either. It's basically Blue Mage but better at combat.

The Chef class though, woof, that thing sucks.

Chef is good actually

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lizard wizard we know you love yoshi a lot but please stop posting your twitter thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

bloodychill posted:

Haha I know that feeling. I was a big Mario Paint fan and spent a ton of time making art. Later, a friend showed me HyperCard on macintosh, which was this black and white-only scripting and UI system. I proceeded to spend months making animations with it. I even later converted some of them to animated gifs when I got into making web pages but it's all lost now.

Now 20 years later and the idea of spending 6 hours producing 30 seconds of basic animation doesn't interest me a bit and we have a lot better software than HyperCard.

Oh man I spent way too much of my childhood playing lovely HyperCard point and click games and also trying to make my own lovely ones. My favorite was some game about helping Tiny Tim find pieces of lint around a city.

I think the first game I was really attached to was MegaMan 3. It was the first non licensed game I had as a kid and me and my sister played it religiously. I think it was the only NES MM game I actually beat.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2016

• Locked thread