Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Mega64 posted:

I will be forever saddened the world was robbed of Iscar Matthias.
Thanks for that, I had to look that up and am extremely happy I did.

When I was playing FFVII for the first time earlier this year, I at some point early on got the idea that it reads perfectly and hilariously as a really bad tabletop campaign where almost every player is in some way terrible. My take on Cait Sith was 'the DM's little brother who's taking the fact he has a captive audience and having too much fun with it', and credit to that guy, that interpretation holds 100% if you're replacing him with Iscar Matthias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Cleretic posted:

Thanks for that, I had to look that up and am extremely happy I did.

When I was playing FFVII for the first time earlier this year, I at some point early on got the idea that it reads perfectly and hilariously as a really bad tabletop campaign where almost every player is in some way terrible. My take on Cait Sith was 'the DM's little brother who's taking the fact he has a captive audience and having too much fun with it', and credit to that guy, that interpretation holds 100% if you're replacing him with Iscar Matthias.

Death of the Author is a powerful tool my friend you shouldn't abuse it so.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
look maybe square is a huge fan of Iscar Mattias and makes him a sweet new party member for the FFVII remake.

His definining character trait is that he hates Cait Sith

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hey did anyone figure out what Elentor was referring to about the image?

Elentor posted:

Alright guys, it is time. We had a good run. See you next time!

By the way, I added an Easter Egg to the final image in the Epilogue. Can you find it? :v:

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 12, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cavelcade posted:

Hey did anyone figure out what Elentor was referring to about the image?

IIRC there was a dragon thing hiding under the bridge, although it seems like he switched it on top of it sometime after. It's not in the wallpaper versions.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Kanfy posted:

IIRC there was a dragon thing hiding under the bridge, although it seems like he switched it on top of it sometime after. It's not in the wallpaper versions.

That nerd.

Thanks, it's great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I don't have any concrete proof, but I do still think it's likely that Default started as an FFV remake.

Absolutely not. Bravely Default is the sequel in almost every way to Four Heroes Of Light, including featuring characters and monsters from it. If anything it began as a new FHOL-style game and they decided to rebrand it as its own thing instead.

A lot of BD's design strengths and weaknesses are both present in FHOL. It gets overlooked a lot and BD is better than it in almost every way but it's effectively the first BD game and worth checking out just for seeing some of the early ideas that morphed into Bravely Default. (including the 'endgame twist')

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

quote:

developed by Matrix Software

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's going to be a demo for World of FF next week, apparently

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also, its opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9w33G6p_lA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Where the gently caress was Faris

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can't show the best parts in the OP that's spoilers

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

This is extremely my poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone turn me into an anime please

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I really like the song, but I wish the animation had been timed better to it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My favorite part is Tidus's exploding blitzballs. See, they are canon.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Terper posted:

I really like the song, but I wish the animation had been timed better to it.

Yeah that animation does not fit the song at all.

Also I want to play WoFF

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You'd figure Square would have the money to afford a studio that doesn't animate at like 15 frames a second, but it's their one weird blind spot when it comes to media high-rez.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
WELP I'M PREORDERING

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

World of Final Fantasy demo launches October 17 in the west, opening movie

quote:

Completing the demo will let players battle and capture “Magitek Armor P” at the coliseum in the full version of the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What does the P stand for?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Gologle posted:

What does the P stand for?

Police, apparently.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Name one magitek armor P and one A and the players will spend the entire game looking for magitek armors B through O :twisted:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

1/35 Soldier

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hello goons. I have not played any of the XIII trilogy. I would like to. What platforms are the best for enhancing my Lightning experience? Should I stick with PS3, or can I get a better experience on PC with mods?

If it helps, I don't have a PS3 (had to sell mine off years ago) but I do want to get one again for a lot of exclusive games I missed last gen. However, I also have a Steam/Moonlight streaming setup for my TV through a Raspberry Pi 3, so the PS3 isn't a priority buy right now.

Gloriously anime! :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Hello goons. I have not played any of the XIII trilogy. I would like to. What platforms are the best for enhancing my Lightning experience? Should I stick with PS3, or can I get a better experience on PC with mods?

PC with mods is overall the best experience.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DizzyBum posted:

If it helps, I don't have a PS3 (had to sell mine off years ago) but I do want to get one again for a lot of exclusive games I missed last gen. However, I also have a Steam/Moonlight streaming setup for my TV through a Raspberry Pi 3, so the PS3 isn't a priority buy right now.

Gloriously anime! :allears:
13 and 13-2 run badly everywhere although I think ps3 technically has a step up over PC. I don't think its really bad anymore on PC but if you are framerate sensitive it might be worth waiting till you have a ps3 again.

You could just skip to Lightning Returning which runs fine everywhere.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

zedprime posted:

13 and 13-2 run badly everywhere although I think ps3 technically has a step up over PC. I don't think its really bad anymore on PC but if you are framerate sensitive it might be worth waiting till you have a ps3 again.

You could just skip to Lightning Returning which runs fine everywhere.

:psyduck: So are you in opposite world? XIII is reasonably optimized on pretty much everything (its main concern is size, it's a 50 GB download on PC), XIII-2 runs poorly on pretty much everything (but is better on PC), and LR is significantly better on PC. Like, there are bits of LR that regularly dip down to single digit framerates on PS3/360.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gently caress the magitek police

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Artix posted:

:psyduck: So are you in opposite world? XIII is reasonably optimized on pretty much everything (its main concern is size, it's a 50 GB download on PC), XIII-2 runs poorly on pretty much everything (but is better on PC), and LR is significantly better on PC. Like, there are bits of LR that regularly dip down to single digit framerates on PS3/360.
Maybe. I played 13 and 13-2 on Xbox without noticing framerate issues which apparently means I am framerate blind, so that means I am trying to remember what the buzz was combined with knowing that Crystal Tools tends to run like garbage on anything that isn't a PowerPC with a billion cells.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

gently caress the magitek police

the magitek police do a hard job under difficult circumstances

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
it's pretty hosed up that magitek police are way harder on black mages than white mages though

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

OneDeadman posted:

it's pretty hosed up that magitek police are way harder on black mages than white mages though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLBVcaveVfU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

OneDeadman posted:

White mages know protect and float away like cowards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What mods even are there for FFXIII?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
13-2 has some custom monster mods (ie adding Caius and some of the other bosses) and ones that add back the console exclusive DLC. Neither of the other two have anything significant outside of a time-stopping mod for LR iirc.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah the only other thing I found was button prompts. I would have liked something that unlocked Chronobind early, but oh well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The reviews for XIII-2 on Steam last I looked all mention frequent severe framerate drops and crashes. I never had XIII-2 crash for me on 360.
I do think there was a fan "fix" meant to, uh, fix this but I haven't tried it so dunno.

Arist posted:

There's a difficulty mod for XIII-2 'cuz it desperately needed one as well as the aforementioned extra third party member mods like Caius, Vanille, etc..
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=592362842

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I never had XIII-2 crash on PC, and it always had framerate drops because Crystal Tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arist posted:

there is a mod that replaces every character with lightning, in my dreams