Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Just pick Juri and play Type O Negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

uncleKitchener posted:

Just pick Juri and play Type O Negative.

Psh... Yeah right, I can't play Juri.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Then use clips of a Juri of your peers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was sf day in my rotation and i sat down and lost points like crazy until i switched back to my comfort bae, cammy. there are so many moments in sfv where i just can't believe that an attack whiffed right through the opponent's model. gets frustrating unless you got cammy's reach

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is anyone else watching the SEAM stream? So many big players are being upsetted.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
yes i am pretty upsetted by this game too

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

General Morden posted:

yes i am pretty upsetted by this game too

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Playing Birdie, something clicked, I understand frames now.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Birdie seems really fun, but I never see him being used and he seems to suffer the same as Alex, in that it's pretty hard to do really well with him. I think I've only seen two Birdie's with good ranks, one at plat and one in super diamond. The rest just flounder and rely on a couple of cheap gimmicks to try and catch you out, instead of playing super solid which is what you need for him.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

We Know Catheters posted:

Playing Birdie, something clicked, I understand frames now.

sometimes it takes stepping away from what you're already comfortable with to get a piece to fall in place

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Well outside of ranks online there was one in top 8 in that tournament yesterday

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Pomp posted:

sometimes it takes stepping away from what you're already comfortable with to get a piece to fall in place

This is what did it for me. Picking up Nash has been like starting all over again (granted I'm still bad) .

Need to work on my neutral game still, and the wake up game, especially w/ SFV having so much to do with that. Dealing with being knocked down can be huge.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate the actual best game in the Street Fighter franchise?

https://twitter.com/DNOpls/status/783890764321488896

I like how, if both players input everything correctly, the player trying to throw is the one who ultimately gets thrown. You're punished for managing to get a throw in unless the opponent makes a mistake.
It seems like the sort of thing that would not have been surprising to find in SF5.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"You're a loving no-life motherfucker!"
Said the salty as gently caress guy after losing 0-2 twice in a row, even though he has more SF4 playtime than me. Rofl.

I wish more people had their mics on while playing.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jack Trades posted:

"You're a loving no-life motherfucker!"
Said the salty as gently caress guy after losing 0-2 twice in a row, even though he has more SF4 playtime than me. Rofl.

I wish more people had their mics on while playing.

I remember when I got drunk as hell with friends and I beat a guy using literally only T. Hawk's far.HK. I live for the hate mail.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also wow...first a massive rager and then the legendary russian lag honda, Aliktea, back to back.
Nice to see that Aliktea is still in business, still using that horrid lagswitch of his, still being #2 Honda (something like that), and still losing to my Vega.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://w3.reddit.com/r/SF4/comments/qxpw9/so_why_hasnt_aliktea_been_banned_yet/?sort=top

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, now he has a macro to do this:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Hey that's my post. I'm still pleased to know that my last two matches I had against him in usf4 were wins for me. I would kick him every single time afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Z_GL_e74c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Sc-cIT4II

A literal piece of poo poo in every sense of the word.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Hey that's my post. I'm still pleased to know that my last two matches I had against him in usf4 were wins for me. I would kick him every single time afterwards.

Duude.
I play against him every time I see him. He's hilarious.
I don't think I've lost to him once in the last 2-3 years. Picking Balrog or Vega is pretty much an easy win though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jack Trades posted:

Duude.
I play against him every time I see him. He's hilarious.
I don't think I've lost to him once in the last 2-3 years. Picking Balrog or Vega is pretty much an easy win though.

Since you're the Resident Vega Expert, how does USF4 Vega compare to SF5 Vega?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

The last time I played him he literally had a lag switch on hand, so whenever he whiffed something big that would be an easy punish, he'd turn it on and you couldn't press a button. In that elena match, I was literally mashing slide and he hosed himself over because he froze his own inputs before he could punish my last whiffed slide.

I actually remember him playing on JWong's stream and he beat him, I don't know how you would consistently beat someone who forces the game to run at half speed and freezes your inputs whenever you want to do something. When he was just half speed it was possible, you could usually adapt quickly enough, but what he does now is really retarded.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Since you're the Resident Vega Expert, how does USF4 Vega compare to SF5 Vega?

I'm super biased against SFV (duh, half the thread is me bitching about it), so take everything I say with a mountain of salt.
In my opinion they practically castrated Vega, removing 90% of the things that were fun and good about him and turned him into another "Cody but..." character, as per SFV tradition.

So, SFV Vega has basically the same relative movement speed and reach on his normals.
So he's still a god of spacing and poking. Claw-on and Claw-off st.mp and cr.mk are pretty good buttons.
He also got a really awful slow-rear end command grab, which is still great on him but the good things end there.
(<-)

SFV Vega lost all the useful tools that let him get in.
Those being Cosmic Hell (the long range hop-kick that high-profiled cr.mk's and was -3 on block(safer if spaced properly)) and a pretty good kara grab that led to good pressure.

He also practically lost all but one of his anti-airs (in my opinion).
Scarlet Terror (Vega's Flashkick) was bad but it was the best anti-air he had, gone in SFV.
St.HK became loving terrible as an anti-air option in SFV and shouldn't be used that way at all.
Claw-on Cr.HP is the best grounded anti-air Vega has in SFV but it's 3 times (!) slower than SF4's st.hk (which was my anti-air normal of choice).
All of the above plus the fact that SFV has a poo poo netcode and extra input lag makes it even more impossible for Vega to anti-air anything in SFV.

Another good thing he lost were the safe rolls.
All except the EX rolls in SFV are super mega punishable on block, so he totally loses the ability to apply pretty good chip damage to the opponent, which was a nice bonus in SF4.

Remember how I said that Vega's normals were still (relatively) long range?
Most of those normals are not special cancel'able and you can't really get any decent damage from long range without VT.

Oh an Vega lost his Backslash too (it got relocated to VR) so his defense is rear end now as well.

tl;dr

SFV Vega is a neutered garbage character that lost all the fun stuff, gained barely anything.
The only few things he excels at in SFV aren't good enough to cover for his flaws and playing him in SFV left a wound in my heart that will never heal again.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 11, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gently caress this gay earth. I'm gonna get wasted and cry myself to sleep.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Wow, I didn't know that guy was famous. I think my one match against him was the most memorable one I ever played in Street Fighter 4. This time he was constantly - without so much as a second's pause - shouting insults, slurs and obscenities over his garbo microphone, but I'm pretty sure he didn't hit the lag switch until I took the first round. That was the first time I truly felt like I had encountered a gamer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh right. I forgot to talk about the biggest poo poo feature of SFV Vega, the stance switch.

It's total garbage because even though Claw-mode plays a little bit more like SF4 Vega it's completely useless because Claw-on anti-airs are not viable (the only remotely reasonable anti-air is clawless cr.hp, since its almost as fast as sf4 anti airs.) and you can't convert any pokes into damage.

I, just like all the pros that played SFV Vega for some reason, just switched to clawless mode at the start of the round every time (unless fighting Gief, I suppose).

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I think probably the best example of your crisis is Graham Wolfe, who was heralded as The King poo poo before SFV's release and now, well...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So many OGs are picking up SFV now because it's a return to the good old roots of ST, like Graham Wolfe and

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the vega in top 8 at evo was cool but it was sad watching him lose slowly as his only way to escape pressure was to v trigger into a blocking opponent

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

people poking around in the halloween update found evidence of an arcade mode being worked on. i'm sure that's just what season 2 needed to turn the game around

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I was telling people that the Halloween costumes they showed were just a preview and that of course every character would have a costume. Naturally this isn't the case and I feel like a big ol' fuddy duddy.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you know what game makes vega (and everyone else) fun + good

capcom vs snk 2

where the gently caress is the re-release capcom

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

darealkooky posted:

capcom vs snk 2

on ps3 under ps2 classics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

darealkooky posted:

capcom vs snk 2

I should play that sometime. I've heard great things about CvS2's Vega.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

I was telling people that the Halloween costumes they showed were just a preview and that of course every character would have a costume. Naturally this isn't the case and I feel like a big ol' fuddy duddy.

the cammy one is just a tattered goth version of her evo fancy costume cause they are lazy as gently caress

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

MrJacobs posted:

on ps3 under ps2 classics.

the ps2 version is an inferior version & there's no online

when do we get a real re-release

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When Capcom sends someone over to SNK's offices and then finds a note there saying "We've moved to china."

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Also, now he has a macro to do this:

This is godlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Agoat posted:

This is godlike.

It is, although I was disappointed to see it not spelled "You're mom is a..."
That would've been the icing on the cake.