Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Do not watch Season 2 of Fargo first.

I mean, you can, Season 2 has only the barest of spoilers for the first season but it's all great and there's no reason to skip over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Westworld
Mr Robot
Silicon Valley
Homeland Season 1 only!
True Detective Season 1 only!
Fargo (TV series both seasons. Start with Season 2 if you like rick and morty)
Halt and Catch Fire

Mr Robot, Silicon Valley and Rick and Morty are my trifecta at work.

But IMO True Detective season 2 is worth watching as long as you treat it as a separate show entirely, which it really is. If you expect it to be anything like season 1, you'll hate it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GORDON posted:

Danger 5.
poo poo, i thought that but forgot to type it

i was so close, to being cool,.

this means so much to me. you are now, if you accept, my postin pal :3:

Arist posted:

Do not watch Season 2 of Fargo first.

I mean, you can, Season 2 has only the barest of spoilers for the first season but it's all great and there's no reason to skip over it.
yea there is, and cmon dont make me have to spoiler it
breif confirmation of aliens with rumours sprinkled throughout to give a sci-fi and ethereal vibe

e: also add stranger things to the list

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

this means so much to me. you are now, if you accept, my postin pal :3:

My man!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KoRMaK posted:

yea there is, and cmon dont make me have to spoiler it.

1. That's not actually a good reason to start with Season 2. You're treating it like a huge genre thing when it's not at all.

2. Just watch them in loving order.

3. Coyly hinting about that moment is just gonna ruin it for someone

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E: nevermind

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

prefect posted:

Jerry always deserves it. :colbert:

I kinda liked Cyril, poor bastard always got the short end.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also if you think you can convince him to watch a kids' show, Gravity Falls is Real Good and a bunch of random tv shows/ads from in the show are done by Justin Roiland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUvD6VvFno

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Invader Zim.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Bob's Burgers

we're just throwing out our favourite shows now, right?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Actually, Mr. Robot is trash.

Yeah, it's pretty dire and I do not understand the line of reasoning that goes "you liked this dark absurdist animated scifi comedy, so you'll definitely love this slick live action drama that tries too hard to be hip and mysterious."

Also, I have never once been convinced to watch a show by someone saying it has a good season.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mr. Robot is great. Eat a butt. And not a good butt, eat a bad butt.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is the correct answer.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

That's our CelticPredator! *laughtrack*

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you swapped out Sci-fi rigamarole for fantasy rigamarole then the Australian live action series The Wizards of Aus would also fit the bill. It also has casual murder, body horror, bleak nihilism and an interdimensional refugee of a bizarre war trying to adjust to life in modern day suburbia. :thumbsup:

pro-tip right here, this is less known than the usual Venture Bros / Archer recommendations and from just the 1st episode it looks really close to R&M in tone and substance. Thanks!

Any news of when we get new R&M anyway?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

GORDON posted:

Danger 5.

Only the first season. Season 2 is completely unwatchable.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think season 2 is actually better than season 1, which i haven't been able to finish.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

White Rabbit posted:

pro-tip right here, this is less known than the usual Venture Bros / Archer recommendations and from just the 1st episode it looks really close to R&M in tone and substance. Thanks!

Any news of when we get new R&M anyway?

I don't want to promote doom and gloom, but if Typical is just now getting back to Starburns, I'm guessing no new episodes until spring. Unless he just missed the first half of production, which seems both unlikely and unanswerable on his part. Back in season 1 he mentioned a single episode takes ~9 months from start to finish. First third of that is probably script and admin stuff, so at least 3-6 month to animate and color everything?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dire and I do not understand the line of reasoning that goes "you liked this dark absurdist animated scifi comedy, so you'll definitely love this slick live action drama that tries too hard to be hip and mysterious."

Also, I have never once been convinced to watch a show by someone saying it has a good season.

Welp you are missin out. (in my opinion)

True Detective was deliberately written as two separate shows between seasons. Same with Fargo, but that has a lil more tie in to each other. Homeland wasn't written that way, but season 1 was so drat good that it would be a shame to miss out on it.

But you do you, I just like sharing what I enjoy.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

This, but unironically.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Funkmaster General posted:

This, but unironically.

Invader Zim doesn't just have the same horror sci-fi themes, the characters also have the kind of twisted alien morality that Rick&CO enjoys.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

Invader Zim doesn't just have the same horror sci-fi themes, the characters also have the kind of twisted alien morality that Rick&CO enjoys.

I dunno, an alien stealing schoolchildren's organs and stuffing his body with them to appear more human definitely touches on that sensibility.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sticklefifer posted:

I dunno, an alien stealing schoolchildren's organs and stuffing his body with them to appear more human definitely touches on that sensibility.

Reread Rutibex's post :shobon:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rutibex posted:

Every episode of Zim is like a mini existential crisis. It's great.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's a shame that the streaming services don't have commentaries, I remember them having a lot of fun and spilling the beans on dropped story lines, internal politics, and dumb drunken jokes

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

It's a shame that the streaming services don't have commentaries, I remember them having a lot of fun and spilling the beans on dropped story lines, internal politics, and dumb drunken jokes

You can find most of them on youtube. It's pretty amusing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Duckbag posted:

I'm iffy on Frisky Dingo though because it's pretty ugly to look at, isn't particularly coherent, has a fairly off-putting sort of humor, and falls apart in its second season. Archer has the same Adam Reed shouting-based humor, but with a better cast, tighter writings, and higher production values, so I'd probably start there and only bring up FD if they liked that one.

I can't believe I missed this when I first read it. Frisky Dingo "fell apart" in the second season? Are you stark raving mad? :monocle:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I liked Jon H Bejamin better when he was known as Coach McGuirk

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KoRMaK posted:

I liked Jon H Bejamin better when he was known as Coach McGuirkBen Katz

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I don't want to promote doom and gloom, but if Typical is just now getting back to Starburns, I'm guessing no new episodes until spring. Unless he just missed the first half of production, which seems both unlikely and unanswerable on his part. Back in season 1 he mentioned a single episode takes ~9 months from start to finish. First third of that is probably script and admin stuff, so at least 3-6 month to animate and color everything?

I missed the first part of production to work on Future-Worm!. feel free to also watch that show. it is for 10 year olds though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

hemophilia posted:

I think season 2 is actually better than season 1, which i haven't been able to finish.

Season 2 is all over the place and has more of a slap dash humor to it

I like season 1 because they put in a lot more effort in creating the world and feel of it. Like they had everyone read their lines on set but then over dub them with old equipment to make it sound like a show of the era.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I liked Jon H Bejamin better when he was known as Coach McGuirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49AcTLAe4kk

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

prefect posted:

I liked Jon H Bejamin better when he was known as Coach McGuirkBen Katz

https://youtu.be/3c440-L1SuA

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 13, 2016

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
I really can't tell if that clip is just a bad rip or if Dr Katz was actually that horribly animated, my memory fails

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Graveyardstick posted:

I really can't tell if that clip is just a bad rip or if Dr Katz was actually that horribly animated, my memory fails

little of column a, little of column b. the rip quality is bad but it didn't affect it that much.

but the bad animation was part of the charm I think

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
squigglevision will one day rise from the ashes like a phoenix

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

How has H. Jon Benjamin not done any voices in R&M yet?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Squigglevision was amazing, it's so comforting. Like visual white noise or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well since we're just posting other cartoons we've watched since R&M hiatus now, BoJack Horseman definitely filled my Rick and Morty hole nicely for a few weeks.

Except now I'm waiting for both to come back :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mavric posted:

Squigglevision was amazing, it's so comforting. Like visual white noise or something.

The combination of Squigglevision and that Dr. Katz music is just incredibly pleasant to me. :3:

• Locked thread