Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

lozzle posted:

I don't see what any of that has to do with you telling a black man that he doesn't need to be afraid of racial violence in rural areas and comparing it to shark attacks.

Police killing of minorities isn't confined, or is even significantly heightened, by being in a rural versus urban area. It's happening everywhere

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Night10194 posted:

Are they seriously doing this? What the hell is wrong with Fox? This is low even for them.
If they don't get to replace Scalia on the SCOTUS then they will never get to repeal the estate tax or a dozen other business-criminal things. They are desperate because Trump is their last shot without, you know, changing policies and so on in some way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tom Guycot posted:

For a while I just kinda laughed or shook my head at how desperate trump was to try and paint poo poo bill has done as some mark against hillary, but the longer this goes on the more I'm just getting furious. Seeing all these surrogates over and over defending an admitted sexual predator while in the same breath blaming a woman for rape because of things her husband is accused of. I want to reach into the screen and strangle these shills and I even start to wonder if this poo poo is going to get e-mail and benjamin ghazi repeated ad nauseum into just become an accepted fact in the back of peoples mind that "well clearly Hillary is guilty of helping women get raped, its common knowledge after all."

There isn't enough time. It took months and months to convince enough people to reflexively assume Hillary cackled in arrogant glee as she dipped her server in boiling acid while wiping her rear end with a congressional subpoena, or personally ordered the death of 4 Americans in Benghazi just to show the Islamic Extremists that she was on their side for a disrespectful video released about The Prophet Muhammad(PBUH).

Additionally their short time table is exacerbated by the fact that their attacks super piss off women, who make up over 50% of the electorate. They'll probably drive up angry white male numbers by a percent or two though, totally worth it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gfsincere posted:

Affirmative action by and large mostly helped white women, as women are considered minorities in the program as they are underrepresented in a lot of workplaces. Why hire a black person when you can still get your diversity numbers up by hiring a white woman?
I actually didn't realize it didn't address these problems separately, which is really dumb, since white women and black men (and black women) obviously have very different situations and very different needs in how they should be addressed.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Anyone can take a series of elections and cherry pick criteria to "retrofit" a predictive model. I don't believe the guy created the model 30 years ago and predicted all the elections since then. I think he created it more recently and it's retrofit bullshit and not worth the time.

There was some U. of Colorado thing in either 2008 or 2012 that was the same way, took economic data and had a retrofit model that "predicted" elections including that the Republican would beat Obama, I believe.
No model can accurately represent the factors that go into an election anyway. There's just way too many variables, many of which aren't quantifiable.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm still Arzying quite a bit, because Jesus Christ we're talking about a totalitarian misogynist racist rear end in a top hat to the Presidency, and even if he loses his totalitarian misogynist racist rear end in a top hat supporters are going to do their damnedest to stir poo poo up.

How long until we get a militia holding people hostage demanding Congress overturn the "illegitimate" election and place President Trump in office, with Trump just sitting there smiling like a loving rear end in a top hat saying 'should have voted for me, this wouldn't have happened, told you Hillary was weak'.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tom Guycot posted:

For a while I just kinda laughed or shook my head at how desperate trump was to try and paint poo poo bill has done as some mark against hillary, but the longer this goes on the more I'm just getting furious. Seeing all these surrogates over and over defending an admitted sexual predator while in the same breath blaming a woman for rape because of things her husband is accused of. I want to reach into the screen and strangle these shills and I even start to wonder if this poo poo is going to get e-mail and benjamin ghazi repeated ad nauseum into just become an accepted fact in the back of peoples mind that "well clearly Hillary is guilty of helping women get raped, its common knowledge after all."

I've seen posts on conservative sites calling them "Hillary's rape victims". They seem weirdly convinced that Hillary Clinton was directly and personally involved in assaulting these women. Though they don't seem to care about Trump's assaults.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

Police killing of minorities isn't confined, or is even significantly heightened, by being in a rural versus urban area. It's happening everywhere

Shut the gently caress up you loving racist, you know absolutely nothing about this. You are human garbage for trying to pull rank about lynchings of all motherfucking things.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
a former Miss Teen USA weighs in:

https://twitter.com/TheRealKamie/status/786353509595770880
https://twitter.com/TheRealKamie/status/786353787615281152
https://twitter.com/TheRealKamie/status/786354014384492544

https://twitter.com/TheRealKamie/status/786369802994671616

Kamie Crawford posted:

The most Trump tea I'll spill for the day is this... when I was 17, I met Mr. Trump for the first time as Miss Teen USA. As the first WOC...to win the title in almost a decade - I was forewarned prior to meeting him that, "Mr. Trump doesn't like black people. So don't take it...""...the wrong way if he isn't extremely welcoming towards you. If he is, then u just must be the "type" of black he likes."

...I don't have any personal experiences with him being predatory in the traditional sense - but he definitely used his power to lure girls in.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Violator posted:

That is what will happen. During the riots a few years ago I had a conservative family member post a long tirade on Facebook asking why blacks had to be so violent. The people of Ferguson are lazy and just want equal rights handed to them! They just want free stuff and you never see them trying to improve their lives! Why can't they be more like gay people? Gay people got their rights quietly, peacefully, and respectfully!!! She was actually arguing with a bunch of people of color about it.

I brought up the Stonewall Riots and the conversation petered out shortly after that. "Well, well..." kind of stuff.

Not trying to be a dick or concern troll or what have you, serious question, was there any violence in the gay rights movement after the Stonewall Riot?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I thought this way, but the more and more they go on about this, I'm starting to get worried its going to become ingrained that "well hillary is just as bad as trump about sexual assault so its a wash", and people will stop caring about pussygate and countless stories of him groping and walking in on teenagers naked to get his jollies. It feels like anything the right wants to stick to Hillary, gets stuck and theres nothing anyone can do.
And yet she is the candidate for POTUS and is likely to win by a comical margin. I half-suspect they're doing this not so much to make it work, as to try and retain that audience.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

The fact that most elections in the past 30 years have been really easy to predict, and he just got lucky in 2000

Also, his model is garbage in the way he operationalizes his variables. Like his "keys" are subjective enough he can arbitrarily alter it, and he assigns them a simple true/false as opposed to an actual scale with actual weight.

After the last time he came up I talked to a friend of a friend who had a class with him, and FWIW, he's a namedropping jerk.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Shut the gently caress up you loving racist, you know absolutely nothing about this. You are human garbage for trying to pull rank about lynchings of all motherfucking things.

Cool, I'm sure you have some recent scholarly data backing up your point?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

ONCE AGAIN

Sundown towns are still a thing, dumbass.

You really think they are gonna report lynchings?

negromancer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 13, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Thanks, I appreciate that. In all honesty, I was more just being a dick than making an actual argument. But I do think leftists are way too hard on rural poor. The rural poor have it pretty lovely in this country, and they've noticed that things don't tend to get much better for them. It's like what Obama said about them clinging to guns and religion.

I kinda see violence at BLM events and the rural poor voting for regressive poo poo heads as similar. People who have been poo poo on by the system and don't see the possibility of actual improvement in their lives, so yeah, gently caress it, burn down a CVS/vote for the dude who makes those MSNBC types mad. It doesn't accomplish anything, but that's not really an issue when you don't think anything actually can be accomplished.

I see. I don't fully agree - BLM has coherence and a platform with policy goals, and has a fairly simple message - please don't murder black people, and further can black people be equal to white people. Whereas angry rural white Trump voters both lack coherence and what political goals they have are abhorrence.

I think you're correct in the broad sense that both represent anger at the system, but I disagree on their equivalence. BLM seeks equality. Rural conservatives seek maintaining of and restoration of old privileges.

I think we're hard on the rural white poor and I think they deserve our help, but I also think we need to address the rampant regressivism in many rural communities and how much of a block it is in helping them.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Yeah, I started with that "distribution of all possible EV counts" graph and the polling data and just got "but Trump is breaking ALL THE RULES", and followed with "hundreds of people have had models for every election that are 100% accurate until they're wrong" and suggested he put some of his nervous energy towards campaigning for downticket races (he's against Trump but has also gone full South Park and refuses to vote Hillary, natch) and he totally clammed up. So it looks like I'm writing him off until after the election.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

How long until we get a militia holding people hostage demanding Congress overturn the "illegitimate" election and place President Trump in office, with Trump just sitting there smiling like a loving rear end in a top hat saying 'should have voted for me, this wouldn't have happened, told you Hillary was weak'.
Trump would lose that fight, big league. I imagine he would disavow that situation immediately because I do not think it would be a good look for anyone. I believe America absolutely would not accept hostage-taking over the God drat Presidency in this manner.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually didn't realize it didn't address these problems separately, which is really dumb, since white women and black men (and black women) obviously have very different situations and very different needs in how they should be addressed.

It did not, and yet black people were still demonized for it because an overqualified black person got hired in a position they weren't qualified in the least for but they felt was owed to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I see. I don't fully agree - BLM has coherence and a platform with policy goals, and has a fairly simple message - please don't murder black people, and further can black people be equal to white people. Whereas angry rural white Trump voters both lack coherence and what political goals they have are abhorrence.

I think you're correct in the broad sense that both represent anger at the system, but I disagree on their equivalence. BLM seeks equality. Rural conservatives seek maintaining of and restoration of old privileges.

I think we're hard on the rural white poor and I think they deserve our help, but I also think we need to address the rampant regressivism in many rural communities and how much of a block it is in helping them.

I mean, strictly you can also phrase both of those in the sense that both groups want what they perceive to be good for them, it would be weird if black people wanted white supremacism as a response to anger at the status quo.

I suppose you could get separationism as an alternative to integrationism, and the reason you don't more often is perhaps because separationism doesn't have a breeding ground like white supremacism does. But even that allows you to reduce it to "people want what they perceive to be good for them and they tend to pick from ideas they are already exposed to in some form"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 13, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

Phoneposting so I can't really link anything, but a friend of mine is Aryzing hard about Allan Lichtman calling the election for Trump, with his "100% accurate" :rolleyes: predictive model. Has there been any mockery or discussion I can send his way?

I've personally used Lichtman's model here to talk about the factors going into the race. The problem is that a lot of the factors are 100% based on another person's judgement. Lichtman really hosed up hard by making a lot of bad judgement calls about Obama's policies that make his model spit out a very wrong answer. I recommend telling them "garbage in garbage out".

Also, models are just models, they only reflect reality to the degree that they align with reality. This is a truly exceptional election that has a serial sexual assulter and literal know-nothing on the ballot. Not to mention the polls: if you cling to a model or supposedly universal rule in the face of actual evidence of the reality on the ground, then you AND your model are flat out stupid.

Hope that helps!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

The fact that you're pulling this poo poo freely with no complaint from the white posters in this thread or the white mods is all the evidence anyone would ever need of racism in this community. You are filth.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

His angle is:

1) Calling me a black supremacist for always talking about black people stuff, but
2) Apparently neither you nor I know anything about black people stuff.

His racism is quite idiotic.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm still Arzying quite a bit, because Jesus Christ we're talking about a totalitarian misogynist racist rear end in a top hat to the Presidency, and even if he loses his totalitarian misogynist racist rear end in a top hat supporters are going to do their damnedest to stir poo poo up.

I mean, the US Government is very, very powerful my friend, and much better at dealing with crazies compared to the bad old days of Waco or Ruby Ridge. Don't worry so much. It'll be ok.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The fact that you're pulling this poo poo freely with no complaint from the white posters in this thread or the white mods is all the evidence anyone would ever need of racism in this community. You are filth.
Excuse me there are white people calling him out for his poo poo.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've seen posts on conservative sites calling them "Hillary's rape victims". They seem weirdly convinced that Hillary Clinton was directly and personally involved in assaulting these women. Though they don't seem to care about Trump's assaults.

Yeah, this is what I mean. They're dismissing an admitted sexual predators acts while turning a woman into a rapist.

Gyges posted:

There isn't enough time. It took months and months to convince enough people to reflexively assume Hillary cackled in arrogant glee as she dipped her server in boiling acid while wiping her rear end with a congressional subpoena, or personally ordered the death of 4 Americans in Benghazi just to show the Islamic Extremists that she was on their side for a disrespectful video released about The Prophet Muhammad(PBUH).

Additionally their short time table is exacerbated by the fact that their attacks super piss off women, who make up over 50% of the electorate. They'll probably drive up angry white male numbers by a percent or two though, totally worth it!

I don't think he can come back from such a polling gap at all, but I'm just seething that they're basically laying the groundwork for 8 years of "Hillary Clinton is a rapist who hates women and kills are soldiers (PS email)".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gfsincere posted:

ONCE AGAIN

Sundown towns are still a thing, dumbass.

You really think they are gonna report lynchings?

...you think, in the current environment, that this wouldn't be making the news

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's a lovely argument, but a. I don't mod D&D and b. I don't have anything to add to that part of the discussion. This isn't a "tacit approval of the administration" situation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol Trump is openly threatening to sue the NY Times now over the new accusations. Go ahead and try it Donald, I'm sure it'll work out well for you.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Would you please shut the gently caress up you poo poo-sucking racist? There are at least two mods posting in this thread right now and it's appalling you haven't been banned. Do not ever flap your filthy mouth about any race issue again you horrible moronic trash person. gently caress you.

USPOL continues to demand to be an echo chamber. If he's such a poo poo-sucking moron just destroy him with your superior logic. This in theory should be the whole point of the forum.

(dont hurt me fans, you've taken enough blood this year)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

gfsincere posted:

His angle is:

1) Calling me a black supremacist for always talking about black people stuff, but
2) Apparently neither you nor I know anything about black people stuff.

His racism is quite idiotic.

The entire thread collectively pulls out the "angry" "crazy" "black supremacist" poo poo any time any of the what, half dozen? Black people here stand up for themselves and I'm loving sick of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

USPOL continues to demand to be an echo chamber. If he's such a poo poo-sucking moron just destroy him with your superior logic. This in theory should be the whole point of the forum.

(dont hurt me fans, you've taken enough blood this year)

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Have i ever been anything but an open racist in this thread? You must be new.

Mostly its the initial "Mexicans = Rapists" quote from last summer, "People who wouldnt be admitted legally might try coming illegally because they want money" makes absolute sense just as he said it, and i dont get why another interpretation took off like a Saturn V rocket. (it certainly did)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Get hosed you racist piece of poo poo.

You seriously can't comprehend or even acknowledge the fear and anxiety and very real possibility of danger of this poo poo you have no goddamn business talking about it.

I thought we were banning/probating racism? Or is that just black folks who say coon in cspam because gently caress context I guess, white privilege exists in dead comedy forums too!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

>checks report forum

oh word?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, strictly you can also phrase both of those in the sense that both groups want what they perceive to be good for them, it would be weird if black people wanted white supremacism as a response to anger at the status quo.

My point, I suppose, is that BLM has a problem and they have a coherent solution that would fix the problem. Rural white conservatives have a problem and they have an incoherent solution that wouldn't fix the problem. That's why the comparison breaks down.

I really do think rural white poor people have legitimate problems. I just also think that many of the solutions they want won't fix the problem and further would be bad for many other people.

I don't have anything to add, I'm sorry. I think that a black man being murdered by police for no good reason is de facto modern lynching and I find the minimization of that abhorrent.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not trying to be a dick or concern troll or what have you, serious question, was there any violence in the gay rights movement after the Stonewall Riot?

I honestly don't know too much about this aspect of history, but a cursory search shows a bunch of results. I don't think anything else had the cultural impact or was of such large scale, but there was more violence through the years. Stuff like:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/18/nyregion/a-gay-protest-against-attacks-becomes-violent.html

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/2016/2/27/violent-gay-protests-oscars-could-it-happen-again

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

2spooky4me posted:

>checks report forum

oh word?

Another great contribution from White Noise Mod.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Nice meltdowns all around

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

These are the lynchings in modern time that have actually made the news.

http://rollingout.com/2015/03/21/5-horrific-modern-day-lynchings-blacks-america/

Dollars to donuts there's dozens more considering there are at any time 65,000 missing black women in the USA. Adding in black men its about 100k. You think all of them are just runaways?

https://mic.com/articles/93780/64-000-missing-women-in-america-all-have-one-important-thing-in-common#.haWoVnuRx

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AmiYumi posted:

Yeah, I started with that "distribution of all possible EV counts" graph and the polling data and just got "but Trump is breaking ALL THE RULES", and followed with "hundreds of people have had models for every election that are 100% accurate until they're wrong" and suggested he put some of his nervous energy towards campaigning for downticket races (he's against Trump but has also gone full South Park and refuses to vote Hillary, natch) and he totally clammed up. So it looks like I'm writing him off until after the election.

He's freaking out about Trump winning but refuses to vote for Hillary? Sorry, your friend is a loving moron.

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I see USPOL melting down isn't inversely correlated to an active Trump meltdown after all.

• Locked thread