Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Themagicalgoat posted:

What makes you think those people are progressive? They don't sound progressive at all. They sound like those shrill white people from DC complaining about violence who don't give a poo poo about black people.

Thank u for splaining my story about splaining. It is always nice to have visual aids to show the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, I'm massively ignorant of legal proceedings and suits: What, exactly, is Discovery and why would it be especially bad for Trump? Is it a requirement to submit evidence, affadavits, etc that could probably be embarrassing to him or what?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

As I've talked about some before, central California is a political battleground right now, with conservative voters holding disproportionate sway over our water use and thus the environment. I've been working to support democratic candidates in those regions. I am not welcome there. My life is frequently threatened, obliquely and overtly. But instead of being able to turn to my fellow progressives, the people working on the same goals as me, part of the same teams, if I so much as betray a moment's hesitation before walking into a confederate-flag-bedecked bar to canvas the locals, all the lovely white boys chime in with WELL BUT DO YOU HAVE CITATIONS. PROVE TO ME. NOTHING YOU THINK OR FEEL IS VALID UNTIL A WHITE ACADEMIC HAS MADE IT OFFICIAL.

In twenty years they'll be running for office, bragging about their work "in the trenches" with the POC community. What heroes they all are.

I have a video of that exact thing happening to me during a talk about the racial divide in tech where a white guy was like "SHOW ME THE NUMBERS"

...and the next slide had the numbers.

This was in Cleveland OH.

More than willing to post it if others want to see it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Like here is a good and great idea: Police have to wear cat ears and their pants have a cat tail on them. Then they look ridiculous and arrogant masculine assholes wont want to do the job as much and will quit but good-hearted people who want to seem as non-threatening as the job requires will stay on.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
so it sounds like trump is going to sue the new york times for libel.

please donny, sue the newspaper that is named in the definitive caselaw for libel and slander. that's going to work out so well.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/786389089834639360

So I'm a little confused. Why is Trump targeting the NYT specifically?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lamb Chowder posted:

HILLARY VIOLATED POE'S LAW. Lock her up!

To be fair violating Poe's law should be illegal.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Can you think of any reasons why a POC might not think reporting racism to the authorities will solve anything?

I know this question is rhetorical, and I don't want to cause too much of a derail, but does anyone in this thread know if there have been any studies done on the number of times a POC has called the police and gotten helped vs. The number of times a POC has called the police and gotten shot/wrongfully arrested? That seems like something that someone should look into, because from what I can tell the later happens way more than it should.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kro-Bar posted:

So is this going to happen before or after the election?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lamb Chowder posted:

HILLARY VIOLATED POE'S LAW. Lock her up!

Download a real IRC client, rear end.

gfsincere posted:

If they close r/the_donald Nov. 9th, I'll have to see a doctor because no penis should ever be that erect.

I feel so petty but when I look at the_donald, I've started to bookmark the users who are especially awful and smug so that even if the_donald goes dark I can bask in the sweet salty taste of whever else they vent.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

gfsincere posted:

If they close r/the_donald Nov. 9th, I'll have to see a doctor because no penis should ever be that erect.

I want them to have a day or two to meltdown, and then see it closed down (so they can meltdown some more).

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

Speaking of the_donald and O'Keefe, can anyone tell my why the hell so many of the people posting there are like from all these other counties? Why are people from sweeden, poland, etc all loving following the loving trump reddit?

Because r/thedonald is less about Donald Trump For President and more about a refugee camp for various hate groups and white nationalists on reddit who had their more on-topic subreddits shut down. You're seeing people from r/fatpeoplehate, the chimpire, and other shitholes congregate there because it's a place where they can openly coordinate without fear of reprisal.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kro-Bar posted:

The NYT just published a story with interviews of two women who say that Trump groped them.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
lol Curt Schilling is on 4Chan.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/786391059488083969

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

A Winner is Jew posted:

If Trump is going full Downfall who do you think will go full Goebbels with him?
My money's on Bannon but I'm open to being surprised.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Thank u for splaining my story about splaining. It is always nice to have visual aids to show the class.

It was a sincere question. Sorry for unintentionally whitesplaining (I'm not white, not that it matters. I think non-white people can probably do it) or minimizing your experience. I really don't have any context for this.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

You sure know what race me and gfsincere are, and probably dexo, and mysteriously our opinions were all wrong until a raceless voice repeated them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

I have a video of that exact thing happening to me during a talk about the racial divide in tech where a white guy was like "SHOW ME THE NUMBERS"

I am really, really, really not surprised at all. This poo poo happens all the time. :smith: Even among kids. My sister actually told a story about seeing someone bullied in her school. The girl tried to tell a teacher and got ignored and then the second a white girl backed her up the teacher suddenly changed and took it super-seriously.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It is funny because he has a solid libel case against the women who are accusing him (assuming he has some proof that they are lying and know they are lying) but absolutely no case against the paper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From a while back but what's with people who think abstaining from voting absolves you of responsibility for the outcome of the election?

Like, you have the capacity to use it, not using it doesn't make you not culpable, it just means you stood and watched instead of running to help/stab the person lying in the road.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Kro-Bar posted:

I wonder if he really thinks this is going to intimidate the media. They will more gleefully tear him to shreds.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ImpAtom posted:

Some people are excited at seeing a neo-nazi "strong white voice' take control over America and see it as a sign of worldwide change and some are just shitheads and trolls.

straight up brolic posted:

right wing is in

In some ways Donnie is the first american politician to follow the european right-wing model. Less religion, more fascism.

Jesus, they actually are from so many different places? I was kinda leaning towards it being some kind of racist "this is where my ancestors came from!"(since all the ones I saw were from white countries). Somehow its even worse that people outside america are jumping behind his poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I know this question is rhetorical, and I don't want to cause too much of a derail, but does anyone in this thread know if there have been any studies done on the number of times a POC has called the police and gotten helped vs. The number of times a POC has called the police and gotten shot/wrongfully arrested? That seems like something that someone should look into, because from what I can tell the later happens way more than it should.

I don't have any number off hand, but I'm pretty sure they're most likely to just be flat out ignored. Which is a major problem.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

You sure know what race me and gfsincere are, and probably dexo, and mysteriously our opinions were all wrong until a raceless voice repeated them.

I mean would you rather he be like Zoux and think you're just lying about your race?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

In some ways Donnie is the first american politician to follow the european right-wing model. Less religion, more fascism.

Trump is beloved by so many in the european rightwing, neo nazi and fascist communities. It's one of the most sickening things for those of us here who are observing those groups because for so long they haven't had one distinct figurehead to rally around. Trump's given them that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Of all the things that people believe, "American interference in Libya's civil war was bad" is the most frustrating. We didn't DO MUCH. We basically just blew up American made supplies from afar that Gaddafi got from us in the 70s and 80s when boomers decided they loved money more than anything in the world.

It was basically the perfect intervention, and yet people keep talking about it like it was some colossal failure.

And I would again point out that people doing that are being, well, racist, because it's as if the fighting done by the actual Libyans didn't matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Jesus, they actually are from so many different places? I was kinda leaning towards it being some kind of racist "this is where my ancestors came from!"(since all the ones I saw were from white countries). Somehow its even worse that people outside america are jumping behind his poo poo.

Right-wing stuff isn't just American. It's a problem across the globe, as lovely as it is. America has a lot of problems but we're not QUITE as bad as we could be due to a general wide diversity.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

gfsincere posted:

PLEASE do

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

OwlFancier posted:

From a while back but what's with people who think abstaining from voting absolves you of responsibility for the outcome of the election?

Like, you have the capacity to use it, not using it doesn't make you not culpable, it just means you stood and watched instead of running to help/stab the person lying in the road.

but you see both parties are equally bad and-

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Speaking of the_donald and O'Keefe, can anyone tell my why the hell so many of the people posting there are like from all these other counties? Why are people from sweeden, poland, etc all loving following the loving trump reddit?

Because Sweden, Poland, Finland, Greece, etc are all already deep into their own right-wing populist movements and misery loves company.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

...you think, in the current environment, that this wouldn't be making the news

just wanna point out: i'm white, this dude trash (still pages behind hard to keep up).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't America actually not track that sort of thing nationwide? It's all done on state-level so if you want to find that out you need to go through every police department's records?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Hard to do so because police departments don't want to report statistics to the DOJ.

But I can tell you right after the police kill an unarmed black person, there's an instant chilling effect on 911 calls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/upshot/calls-to-911-from-black-neighborhoods-fell-after-a-case-of-police-violence.html

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kro-Bar posted:

Maureen Dowd's next column: "can we really afford the reopening of Motel 1600?!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Lewandowski just dropped my favorite false equivalency of the election

"Donald Trump walked backstage on naked pageant queens because that is a part of his job, just like people keep saying it was Hillary's job to defend a rapist of a 12 year old girl"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

2spooky4me posted:

might want to make a privacy pass over this buddy.

also if you're job-seeking in michigan i can recommend some supplemental resources :buddy:

Any maybe clear out some of your 22 notices, god dammed.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I have some statistics on the perception gaps of racial problems that seem to be occurring in real time in this thread

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/06/27/on-views-of-race-and-inequality-blacks-and-whites-are-worlds-apart/

Pew Research posted:

The survey finds that black and white adults have widely different perceptions about what life is like for blacks in the U.S. For example, by large margins, blacks are more likely than whites to say black people are treated less fairly in the workplace (a difference of 42 percentage points), when applying for a loan or mortgage (41 points), in dealing with the police (34 points), in the courts (32 points), in stores or restaurants (28 points), and when voting in elections (23 points). By a margin of at least 20 percentage points, blacks are also more likely than whites to say racial discrimination (70% vs. 36%), lower quality schools (75% vs. 53%) and lack of jobs (66% vs. 45%) are major reasons that blacks may have a harder time getting ahead than whites.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Themagicalgoat posted:

What makes you think those people are progressive? They don't sound progressive at all. They sound like those shrill white people from DC complaining about violence who don't give a poo poo about black people.

There's tons of racist white leftists. They're usually less overt but they get their feelings hurt when anyone talks about how much they hate white people, or they're eager to jump in and argue that the only true warfare is class warfare and that race issues will vanish entirely once we accomplish Total Communism Now. Minimizing the fear PoC feel in hostile white territory is just par for the course.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gfsincere posted:

Hard to do so because police departments don't want to report statistics to the DOJ.

But I can tell you right after the police kill an unarmed black person, there's an instant chilling effect on 911 calls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/upshot/calls-to-911-from-black-neighborhoods-fell-after-a-case-of-police-violence.html

So... Police shooting black people actually lowers crime rates...

That's kind of nauseating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Night10194 posted:

So, I'm massively ignorant of legal proceedings and suits: What, exactly, is Discovery and why would it be especially bad for Trump? Is it a requirement to submit evidence, affadavits, etc that could probably be embarrassing to him or what?

Basically, yes. If the other side can demonstrate that certain info about Donald and his businesses is relevant to the case, his attorneys have to turn it over. And unless the case is sealed by court order (which would also need to be justified), then it's public record and anyone can get that information.

There's more to it, like the potential consequences of withholding that info. A smart legal team would offer just enough in discovery to avoid consequences, but another complication is Donald needs to be smart enough to withhold that information, too. Once his legal team knows something relevant, they can be compelled to turn it over.

• Locked thread