Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
That spooky face change, I kind of like it.

So glad to see Evan Peters. I am wondering how they are going to keep this going though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
We can't just run into the woods willynilly, that's dangerous!

-Someone being chased by verified murderghosts

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 13, 2016

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
Frances Conroy and Evan Peters in the same episode?! Best day.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Conroy so good. The first backwoods accent I believe (because I can't understand it).

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
It seems a little weird that Shelby said "The only place worse than where I was was our house" rather than "where we were". I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it but I'm just waiting for the documentary setup to wind up being a huge twist of some kind.

Also, I missed Frances Conroy so much.

Edit: Holy poo poo, they finished a plot! ... With half the season left, but still!

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 13, 2016

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Polygynous posted:

oh yeah him too

I was freaking out about Doris Kearns Goodwin. :v:

There is something deeply hilarious about a respected historian making an appearance on this show to exposit some of the backstory and I love it :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DarklyDreaming posted:

There is something deeply hilarious about a respected historian making an appearance on this show to exposit some of the backstory and I love it :v:

I knew she must have been an actual historian because she was not a very good actress. :)

Also, documentary crew on the loose confirmed

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Given that everything was a reenactment, I wonder if the crew will do something dumb like 'Hey, we should go film at the ACTUAL LOCATION' a la like 'Ghost Hunters' or something. Or they go looking for the remaining members of the hillbilly family or something?

Then they get to nance around with Evan Peters.

Lee's last-second save was dope as Hell. But I have one question just to make sure I'm clear, that means the ghosts are corporeal during the blood moon week, otherwise they're just good for jumpscares, right? None of them physically killed someone with their bare hands, it was all fire/rope/weapons. Bentley's last second face-turn seemed a little too convenient but at the same time, the back story showed he was against his mother's actions before she killed the colony. I know they were all bonded to the Butcher, but none of the other ghosts ever tried that poo poo before?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Ambellina posted:

That spooky face change, I kind of like it.

So glad to see Evan Peters. I am wondering how they are going to keep this going though.

(Spoiler you could probably guess from the preview)
Big twist next episode, apparently.

(Minor further spoiler based on some casting stuff, and some speculation)
Lily Rabe has a stunt double. My guess is the "real" people and maybe some of the actors are heading back at the next blood moon, and poo poo's going down.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ELIAS NO :stonk:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Whew. After the historian said it would be handy to be able to talk to ghosts, for a bit I thought they would all die and then be interviewed as ghosts.

"You may be a TV host .... but I'm a ghost!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are the cops in on it, or is that guy just a coward? If they aren't in on it those are the most useless cops ever. Useless cops are a staple of horror, but these guys are terrible.

The cannibal hillbillies indicated that the colonists need to kill someone every year, which should mean far more disappearances than professor exposition found. If this has been going on for hundreds of years, the nearby townsfolk must have some inkling that something is going on. Maybe some of the non-crazy Polk kinfolk even live in the town, joined the police force. All the better to funnel a couple outsiders to the colonists each year.

I like that the Korean family became creepy asian horror style ghosts though. Nice touch.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Are the cops in on it, or is that guy just a coward? If they aren't in on it those are the most useless cops ever. Useless cops are a staple of horror, but these guys are terrible.

He's probably not "In on it" as in he deliberately left them to be sacrificed, but the local police probably tell stories to each other about weird poo poo going down around that house and if you see any of it you should just run while you can

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I like that the Korean family became creepy asian horror style ghosts though. Nice touch.

I'm pretty sure they're Taiwanese.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What if it's all a fake? :aaaaa:

Interracial couple buys a ramshackle old house in the woods, gets harassed by local racist hillbillies. The wife hates it. She's a city girl and has misgivings even before the hillbillies start their poo poo.

A salesman, an unemployed yoga instructor, a disgraced former cop/druggie and her kid arrive in LA basically penniless. Their only asset is the nearly worthless house in the woods. $40k doesn't buy a good house even in rural areas, so its not a good house. If they try to sell to locals they'll be lucky to get back half what they paid, and if they don't sell they are on the hook for property taxes every year. But a famous haunted house, that would be worth something to the right buyer.

Pitch the story to a ghost hunting show and they'll pay thousands just to use the site for their dumb show, and then the fame may be enough to get some idiot to buy the house.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Peters hasn't kissed a man up until now in the show, has he? Guess Murphy was like, "Well Evan, it's season six, finally your turn."

All of that was awfully convenient of course, him coming back to help save them at the last moment, after the cop bails (probably cowardice at seeing a huge hillbilly gathering with backup miles away,) the son drags The Butcher into the fire, and Lee manages to blast the car through them. Not to mention Shelby getting all patched up with a cast and crutches, presumably at a hospital, only for them to go straight to a seedy motel (I nearly thought the motel would be the real horror story for a second.)

We still don't know where Lee actually went when Shelby assumed she went after Miles, do we?

What if it's all a fake? :aaaaa:

Interracial couple buys a ramshackle old house in the woods, gets harassed by local racist hillbillies. The wife hates it. She's a city girl and has misgivings even before the hillbillies start their poo poo.

A salesman, an unemployed yoga instructor, a disgraced former cop/druggie and her kid arrive in LA basically penniless. Their only asset is the nearly worthless house in the woods. $40k doesn't buy a good house even in rural areas, so its not a good house. If they try to sell to locals they'll be lucky to get back half what they paid, and if they don't sell they are on the hook for property taxes every year. But a famous haunted house, that would be worth something to the right buyer.

Pitch the story to a ghost hunting show and they'll pay thousands just to use the site for their dumb show, and then the fame may be enough to get some idiot to buy the house.

That'd be pretty interesting, although you'd have to wonder what the endgame is. Assuming the history of the house is legit, but all the other details are false (such as the cops finding the feral boys,) something else would have to be haunting it.

Maybe they actually made the deal to get Flora back and offered Miles as a sacrifice instead to satisfy them, making up the rest to sell to the show and try and cover their tracks (Lee, as a cop, would probably know how to skirt an interrogation, even if she had something to hide.)

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 13, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I've got this mental image in my head of Evan Peters just talking to Ryan Murphy and he's like "yo please stop casting me as the brooding handsome boy with a beautiful sadness to him" and Murphy is just pulling nonsense out of his rear end and giving him sarcastic roles and Peters is just like "yo great those sound awesome and fun I'll do it".

"Playing a serial killing 1940s businessman was fun, please don't make me be a hunky sad boy again."
"Alright, uh. This time around...*takes a moment to think of something to spitball* you're an antisocial 18th century rich guy who is gay and in a gay relationship with a black servant and you're kind of a big prissy rear end in a top hat and you die in the first five minutes of your appearance and you wear flouncy clothes and a big powdered wig. Oh and you kiss the black guy. No, no, you get in the tub with him and make out and talk dirty."
"That sounds great, I've always wanted to wear a powdered wig."
"...gently caress, really? Uh. I gotta call the writers then."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OmegaBR posted:

That'd be pretty interesting, although you'd have to wonder what the endgame is. Assuming the history of the house is legit, but all the other details are false (such as the cops finding the feral boys,) something else would have to be haunting it.

Maybe they actually made the deal to get Flora back and offered Miles as a sacrifice instead to satisfy them, making up the rest to sell to the show and try and cover their tracks (Lee, as a cop, would probably know how to skirt an interrogation, even if she had something to hide.)

The house is hundreds of years old, there haven't really been that many murders/disappearances.
  • Eccentric rich guy locked most of his servants in a cellar and was killed by one of them. No haunting required. No further disturbances reported in the house until after the 1950s. The house must have had caretakers over all that time to remain habitable, but no reports of anything bad happening to them.
  • Immigrant family buys a house in the south. Has no connection to the community. Disappears. Could be dead, could be they just moved away because that town sucks. No haunting required.
  • At some point some hunters died? Hunting accidents happen, so do drunken arguments, no haunting required.
  • Murder nurses murder some people. Run away and open their own facility in the house, murder some more people, disappear. As far as anyone knows they just ran away again when the locals got suspicious. No haunting required.
  • Professor buys the house, apparently uses it as a vacation home or something for years before falling behind on his taxes. No haunting required.
Did I miss any?

Up until the LA couple show up it's a house with a checkered past, but not an obviously cursed property. There's definately enough there to spin up a convincing story of a haunting (even without the lost colony angle) but it could also be a normal house that has had a couple tragedies.

All the bad stuff that the cops have on file that happened after they bought the house could be explained by racist hillbillies angry that an inter-racial couple outbid them on the house. Including the kid's disappearance and Mason's death (though those could also have been the drug-addled ex-cop).

Though honestly if they wanted to get out from under the house, making up a ghost story wouldn't be the easiest way. Just insure the thing and then burn it down. Old wood burns well, and the house is far enough from town that it takes forever for emergency services to get out there. Totally plausible that the thing could burn to the ground while they are out shopping or something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Frances Conroy mentions that when the pickin's are slim they let Kathy Bates sacrifice one of the family members.

e: I'm so loving happy she was in this episode. Had no idea she would show up this year.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

esperterra posted:

e: I'm so loving happy she was in this episode. Had no idea she would show up this year.

Same. She's got the best range out of everyone in my opinion, save for maybe when Lange was on, but even when she's hamming it up she's still great. Like last night she went from cold detachment and resignation to red hot screaming in the same scene and it was way more believable than anything we've seen so far this season.

Since I tapped out on hotel and I don't really buy into this theory anyway, how did this episode hold up to the "every episode corresponds to a prior season" thing that people have been speculating?

E: and of course they're going back to the house, this show only budgets for 1 location per season and the rest goes to blow and lube or whatever, but if the "real people" go back to the house I'm probably going to stop watching (assuming everything has been played straight so far and they don't have an airtight justification for it)

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 13, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The only clear homage thing I saw was how Peters clawed his way out of the bedsheets, that looked a lot like Hotel's intro.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Between the grungy makeup and the behaving like a total maniac it took me a long time to realize that was Conroy.

Who played Mott's boytoy?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hopefully now we can get rid of the constant exposition part of the show. I liked the whole reality ghost show setup fine, but it was getting boring.

Looking forward to an extra pissed off half-melted Kathy Bates.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
Did anyone else catch that Mott's (Evan Peters) ancestor died in Florida? Finn Wittrock's Dandy was a Mott. Pretty cool connection, what with the "madness runs in the family" thing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fullroundaction posted:

Since I tapped out on hotel and I don't really buy into this theory anyway, how did this episode hold up to the "every episode corresponds to a prior season" thing that people have been speculating?

They stayed in a Hotel (Motel) at the end so that's definitely a nice clear correlation if you're looking for one. I don't really buy it either though

fullroundaction posted:

E: and of course they're going back to the house, this show only budgets for 1 location per season and the rest goes to blow and lube or whatever, but if the "real people" go back to the house I'm probably going to stop watching (assuming everything has been played straight so far and they don't have an airtight justification for it)

That's your line? You really can't imagine something like "Shelby, Matt, you HAVE to go back; you're the only ones who can blah blah blah so that they can never do horrible things like okay I'm done typing this it's so stupid. But it's exactly the kind of stupid AHS does all the time. It's the execution that will determine whether they can get away with it, as always.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

Same. She's got the best range out of everyone in my opinion, save for maybe when Lange was on, but even when she's hamming it up she's still great. Like last night she went from cold detachment and resignation to red hot screaming in the same scene and it was way more believable than anything we've seen so far this season.

You ever watch Six Feet Under? Apparently she could start the hooting, screaming fit she did in the pilot from complete rest, the moment they said "go." Alan Ball thought it was the most impressive thing he'd ever seen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RugClockVexx posted:

Did anyone else catch that Mott's (Evan Peters) ancestor died in Florida? Finn Wittrock's Dandy was a Mott. Pretty cool connection, what with the "madness runs in the family" thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the same family. That's why he left his wife and heir behind, so the kid could grow up to be Dandy's great grandfather.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder what happens if the colonists don't manage to do a sacrifice every year? If these guys got away, that means they only have 5 days left to find a sacrifice to renew their claim on the land.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

timp posted:

That's your line? You really can't imagine something like "Shelby, Matt, you HAVE to go back; you're the only ones who can blah blah blah so that they can never do horrible things like okay I'm done typing this it's so stupid. But it's exactly the kind of stupid AHS does all the time. It's the execution that will determine whether they can get away with it, as always.

That's true, yeah. I mean any plotline to a TV show sounds kind of dumb in an elevator pitch. I just don't think AHS has the chops to believably pull a trip back to the house off using the survivors. Like what angle could they possibly use as motivation that you would buy?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fullroundaction posted:

That's true, yeah. I mean any plotline to a TV show sounds kind of dumb in an elevator pitch. I just don't think AHS has the chops to believably pull a trip back to the house off using the survivors. Like what angle could they possibly use as motivation that you would buy?

Interesting question. What I think they'll probably do is what I described before. Let's say Matt has some sort of mystical bond with Gaga, the deity of the land, because of their hookup in the starving servant cellar, so Cricket 2.0 appears to him on Halloween and convinces him to go back and kill her in order to end the suffering of the spirits trapped there and break the curse once and for all...something like that. He tries to sneak out but Shelby overhears him and follows him, but not before recruiting Lee, the ex cop.

I'm not trying to write fan fiction or anything here, but I'm guessing it'll be along those lines, basically an AHS version of "But thou must!"

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Or maybe simply to end Rabe's continued nightmares/PTSD that they set up, yeah. I guess we'll see, the preview looked way more manic/frantic than that, though it was only like 3 seconds long :iiam:

I'd be happy if they didn't go back at all and truly changed directions, but there's no way that's going to happen.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

esperterra posted:

Frances Conroy mentions that when the pickin's are slim they let Kathy Bates sacrifice one of the family members.

She didn't say one of the family members though, did she? Just that the family helps provide a victim. I assumed that means some random stranger, like they abduct some hunter or kidnap a prostitute or whatever. Fits with the house having the creepy past but not being known as the "people die here literally every year" house, as most of the sacrifices would be missing person cases never connected with the house.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gatekeeper posted:

She didn't say one of the family members though, did she? Just that the family helps provide a victim. I assumed that means some random stranger, like they abduct some hunter or kidnap a prostitute or whatever. Fits with the house having the creepy past but not being known as the "people die here literally every year" house, as most of the sacrifices would be missing person cases never connected with the house.

I'd have to go back and check, but I could have swore I heard the word 'kin' in there. Though they could just be grabbing people beyond the borders of how far the colonists can typically wander.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

haveblue posted:

Between the grungy makeup and the behaving like a total maniac it took me a long time to realize that was Conroy.

Who played Mott's boytoy?

I didn't realize it was her until this thread.

And imdb says Henderson Wade played Guinness.

E: given Conroy in s2 was named Shachath and Gaga in this season is named Scathach, I'm wondering it there might be a connection, given how similar the names are.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 13, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

I didn't realize it was her until this thread.

And imdb says Henderson Wade played Guinness.

E: given Conroy in s2 was named Shachath and Gaga in this season is named Scathach, I'm wondering it there might be a connection, given how similar the names are.

It might be just a coincidence. Shachath is a different spelling of a Hebrew name for the underworld.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

fullroundaction posted:

I figured Evan Peters's characters were the connection between last season and this episode. In Hotel, he was a rich madman obsessed with building the hotel to his specifications and in this episode they portrayed Mott similarly. He's a wealthy aristocrat who built the house and was madly obsessed with the artwork inside of it to be to his specifications.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It might be just a coincidence. Shachath is a different spelling of a Hebrew name for the underworld.

Yeah, I'd struggle to draw a clean line between a Judeo-Christian Angel of Death and a Druidic demigoddess.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

chitoryu12 posted:

Most likely, but it still seems a little odd two characters would have such similar names.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is the first episode of AHS that ever spooked me in a way that wasn't "that's extremely hosed from a moral POV," or "wow, that's a good gore effect."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

sector_corrector posted:

This is the first episode of AHS that ever spooked me in a way that wasn't "that's extremely hosed from a moral POV," or "wow, that's a good gore effect."

Any parts in particular?

• Locked thread