Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

KomodoWagon posted:

Not sure about that, but then again I'm not hugely invested in Thai affairs. As far as I understand it, any threat to the monarchy is seen as a satanic act of treason, not unlike Lucifer's rebellion against God.

Fanatical royalism was created by the king after the military was sent in to massacre a bunch of students in the sixties, so anyone with ideas simply became anti-royalist. The monarchy straight up controls the judiciary and has a lot of influence over the military so they tend to work hand in hand.

Meanwhile the new king is an actual serial rapist who raped so many women he got HIV from it. He made his dog an air force officer and gave it a state funeral. Everyone in Thailand hates this guy and he was one of the reasons the military overthrew the government in the first place. Not because of his hosed up syphilitic brains, but because he is in a shitload of debt to Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's richest man, former president, and military enemy number one.

Basically the military overthrew the government (led by thaksin's wife as the military exiled him) because the king's health was turning for the worse, and without him they're worried about getting purged by the STD king

here's the dog's funeral:

and here's a video of the crown prince (now king) making his wife strip naked and eat cake off the ground:

:nws: https://vimeo.com/101336844

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Always give us a hard time & poo poo

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beast

Bro Dad posted:

Fanatical royalism was created by the king after the military was sent in to massacre a bunch of students in the sixties, so anyone with ideas simply became anti-royalist. The monarchy straight up controls the judiciary and has a lot of influence over the military so they tend to work hand in hand.

Meanwhile the new king is an actual serial rapist who raped so many women he got HIV from it. He made his dog an air force officer and gave it a state funeral. Everyone in Thailand hates this guy and he was one of the reasons the military overthrew the government in the first place. Not because of his hosed up syphilitic brains, but because he is in a shitload of debt to thaksin shinawatra, thailand's richest man, former president, and military enemy number one.

Basically the military overthrew the government (led by thaksin's wife as the military exiled him) because the king's health was turning for the worse, and without him they're worried about getting purged by the STD king

Hahaha, holy poo poo I wish I'd paid more attention to Thai politics now

e: just a few pictures of the new glorious king of Thailand, successor to beautiful divine monarchy

Glorious new king with divine father Rama IX

Very suave and relaxed, such savvy

KomodoWagon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 13, 2016

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Vajiralongkorn looks like a old-time inbred european royal

e: beaten

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

I mean I find it gross too but you guys realize there's really nothing actually wrong with chewing with your mouth open right? It's just cultural differences.txt. For all the mocking of Chinese people's dumb hangups, this is basically the same thing.

e: exception being if they spit on you while they're doing it which is legitimately rude as gently caress

Gross

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For real though, the look on his wife's face is pretty jarring. I haven't looked at the cake-eating video yet and I'm not sure I feel like seeing that, ever. Lol the kid's gonna look like a loving freak when he grows up though

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

I don't know how you can think mainlanders are loud when American tourists are notorious for talking way too loudly

The unnamed country can only hold their hands to their ears in despair!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

plain blue jacket posted:

I went to the British museum on Tuesday and it turns out Chinese people really like ignoring barriers and "do not manhandle the 3000 year old relic" signs

The museum even has dedicated "you may manhandle this ancient relic under supervision" tables which is loving cool. I got to touch s little Roman metal house god statue

How was the metal dick you rubbed?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Just had a China moment! Some guy stopped at the door of the restaurant I'm eating at, took up a cat pose, meowed a bit, did some squats, licked his 'paws' and then just walked off as if nothing happened.

that's a cat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

rear end cobra posted:

The whole family looks quite... healthy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
So thats what the Hapsburgs would have looked like as Asians, good to know

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Dem lips tho

Edit:

Kind of reminds me of that magazine ad with the beautiful girl and the ugly children. Except everyone is ugly in those pictures.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

I also have a pet theory that the country is just so loving loud all the time in general that everyone has hearing damage.
This is what I've believed for ages. The old people worked in factories have no hearing left. They are loud as can be at all times, and they raise the little emperors with these loud voices so the kids think being loud as gently caress is normal. Rinse and repeat and for a few generations. I hate the old people here so hard for so many reasons, but their loudness tops any people from any country I've been to or lived with.

THE PWNER posted:

India is way at the top
Hearing loss induced loudness. I had it myself when I lived there and returned to the US. I woke up at like 5am from jet lag and tried to watch TV at my sister's house and could barely hear it and she came down and yelled why the hell is the TV so drat loud so early in the morning.

big time bisexual posted:

In a previous China thread, Sheep-Goats mentioned the poor reputation Israeli backpackers have while traveling abroad:

Same in India. They love Goa, Pune, and the Himalayas and for some reason many can't seem to travel anywhere with giant bags of illegal hard drugs to sell or use. Israelis = Where to find drugs or buy drugs in India. Indians are curious about them but they have a strong stigma for being stoners and/or supporting local drug dealing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You're all going to jail if you ever step foot in Thailand.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Apologies for any cultural insensitivity on my part. Thanks!

Few pages back but was this a Lottery of Babylon style reddit quote or a real post?

I'd he pays too little he's going to forever be branded a bad husband and a cheap rear end in a top hat, and he owes more money. If he pays too much he's a rich chump and 'can afford to give me some more'.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

My dreams of snorting meth off the asses of world-class ladyboys, crushed. :negative:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lèse–majesté baby!

Also none of us are under real names so suck it, Thai monarchy. The only things royals deserve is the guillotine.

And while American tourists are loud and annoying and almost perpetually drunk, they at least give you money for no drat reason sometimes (tipping is uhh, not a thing in Europe usually) so they're more tolerable. Same with Chinese groups, they know they gotta pay for us to put up with them, but I swear if you're on a schedule they're worse than the Italians; there will always be at least one of those dudes that when you rush them, slowly ambles to the toilet, then stops to take a smoke and I have to tell his wife that if he's not here in less than a minute, he gets left behind. (Which I'm now forbidden from doing because they complain about it, then my boss complains about not keeping a schedule)

Every single time I heard we were getting Israeli groups, I'd ask for time off. Jesus loving christ man, if it wasn't the Haredi with their loving "no, we gotta bring our own cutlery, chefs and food!" it was the uber entitled shitheads. The only people close to that level of entitlement were rich Indians, but those are thankfully rare here.

Gods, I love the tourism industry. We only just managed to avoid having a huge Chinese run resort in the country too, because of xenophobic politicians.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

You must be deaf to your own accent because you lot are much worse. You can always hear the American coming from half a mile away, even over a crowds of drunk tuhaos, and they never stop talking either.

lol you dumb as hell

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
We've got Thai food over here and I'm too fat and gross to get an erection for street walkers, so I think I can skip that trip

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Vegetable posted:

I don't know how you can think mainlanders are loud when American tourists are notorious for talking way too loudly

The only people that believe/ say this stupid poo poo are Americans is the really funny part.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
My day off outside in Shenzhen today:

I had a walk today and saw a good white goon. He sped past me on the stairs and I walked behind him for a while because we were both going the same way. He was wearing Doc Martens with superduper-cuffed baggy jeans (like they were for someone 30cm taller than him and he thought rolling them into a big wad at the bottom was a good idea), and a button-down dress shirt that clashed as hard as possible with the rest of his outfit. He had the typical undercut, but had frosted the ends (I guess he had frosted tips before it grew out). Along with that, his waist/pelvis was very small for his age and height. Like a US size 24-25 pants size it looked like, but he was about 175cm tall. He was X shaped, to describe him properly. I know he can't control genetics and that's okay, but he wasn't doing himself any favors with the clothes and it made him look terribly goony. I would imagine seeing this guy near a store that sold Games Workshop stuff. The only thing missing was the fedora.

Anyway, he goon-stared at every girl he walked by. Like, he would turn his head and then move it up while he scanned them from bottom to top. For some he would turn around and walk backwards for a few steps while staring, and then continue forward. He did his for every single drat girl he walked by. People were staring at him staring at girls, especially when we were going past the bus stop. It was embarrassing to be walking a bit behind him because I felt like people were going to assume I was going to do the same. It was just so drat goony.

Some girl on Wechat wanted to add me so I added her and she tried three times in about ten minutes to find out what my job is. I told her I would tell her later once we got to know each other. She would just rephrase it and ask again. I told her it was rude to ask the same question several times after the person didn't want to answer. She said I was the rude one here, being rude for not answering her question. Then she deleted me. I forgot that "turning the tables" on someone in China is a massive gain of face for the table turner, so I lost a lot of face that time. It's also funny how doing that is considered a good thing here and not something you're supposed to stop doing after your tenth birthday. You could actually win every argument in China just by repeating "I know you are, but what am I?" until the other person gives up. For this reason alone I wish Mainland China was democratic. That debates... holy poo poo.

I also stood in line at the supermarket and had a lady in her 50s behind me who very very very obviously poo poo her pants and was just going with it. For a split second I thought she was buying dried daikon or something, but when that really acrid poop smell hit me my eyes began to water and I immediately stepped away from her. We made eye contact and she gave no fucks. She was buying a juice and a package of cookies.

Finally, some guy walked up to me and stuck his phone right in my face. I was messing with my own phone at that moment, and for some reason my India instincts came in and I raised my free hand high over my head in a "I'm going to slap you" motion. This works very well in India for vendors, beggars, and animals and I don't know why I suddenly did it. I looked up to see a Uighur guy stepping back quickly, clutching his phone to his chest like he it was his child.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

tsa posted:

The only people that believe/ say this stupid poo poo are Americans is the really funny part.
Not American but ok

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And while American tourists are loud and annoying and almost perpetually drunk,

We're pretty drunk on vacation, but we can't hold a candle to Aussies and Brits. They're pro tier drunk.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

rear end cobra posted:

e: beaten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FvByxgzg2U

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's nice to see you guys branching out and stereotyping Israelis and Thai people as well.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's nice to see you guys branching out and stereotyping Israelis and Thai people as well.

I think they're stereotyping Israelis and Brits that go to Thailand, not Thais themselves

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Making fun of royals is acceptable and cool. To the guillotine with the lot of em.

Generally this thread has been really positive on Thai stereotypes. Off the top of my head people have lauded them as clean, polite, honest and relaxed.

Israel is Bad and needs no defending -it has its own internet wumao brigade.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I always heard australians were the worst tourists of the anglosphere. They have a real bad reputation in the baja area.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

hemophilia posted:

I always heard australians were the worst tourists of the anglosphere. They have a real bad reputation in the baja area.

this was true based on my experiences in India and Latin America, but I'm willing to concede I haven't had much experience with lower class brits going on cheap holidays in Europe so I may not be getting the full picture

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hemophilia posted:

Great, so now aussies, brits, and americans are the worst. Canada forgotten again. :canada:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Great, so now aussies, brits, and americans are the worst. Canada forgotten again. :canada:

Nobody thinks Canadians are the worst at anything.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Nobody thinks Canadians are the worst at anything.

Only Canadians know, deep down inside, that we are the very worst of people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ceciltron posted:

Only Canadians know, deep down inside, that we are the very worst of people.

Truth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In BC, Australian tourists are by far the worst. If pubs and clubs could possibly have "NO X NATIONALITY" it would be australian every time. If there's a group of lovely looking dudes getting thrown out of a club and getting fighty with a bouncer, it's disproportionately australians. They love to get violently drunk and think their awful accent will charm them out of fights and into every lady's pants. Instead they get kicked out for starting a fighting or harassing women.

Chinese are a close 2nd. They're extremely loud. If your ear just happens to be between granny and her #1 prince grandson on the other side of a shop that she needs to ask if he wants some toy, she'll just scream through your head as if you weren't there. Kid trashing the store, pulling items off the shelves and onto the floor while dripping icecream? Totally fine, parents just ignore it. Kid disinterested in the OMNIMAX movie at the science centre? Just let him climb all over the seats while screaming at the top of his lungs the entire movie, whatever. Very easy to avoid though, just go anywhere more than a 30 second walk from where a tour bus can park.
UK tourists are generally nice older people out exploring the world and taking in cultures and landscapes and generally being very polite.
American tourists can be kinda loud and rude, but just in an eye-rolling way, not in an assault or street making GBS threads sort of way.

That's all locally though. In europe it's a whole other story.
I don't know if the chinese are loud and rude in europe because I can't hear them over the brits.
I don't know if australians get drunk and violent in europe because they police seem way too busy hauling away another big group of 20-something football hooligans that decided to go smash up a vietnamese immigrant food cart, or women on a stag party who decided to get violent with the wait staff for not letting them get their grope on.
Americans in europe generally seem to be the most polite and interested in trying things.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Baronjutter posted:

Americans in europe generally seem to be the most polite and interested in trying things.

It's probably because going to Europe is Expensive for Americans and the people tend to do it are people who really want to go to Europe.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Re: loudness. I know that 东北人 can be a bit shouty at times (and I should know, I have one as a mother-in-law), but even their normal conversation voice that's about 140 dB has nothing on the average American tourist. You can hear that "HEY BRAD LOOK AT THIS FUNNY MONEY" from the other side of the town.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Darkest Auer posted:

Re: loudness. I know that 东北人 can be a bit shouty at times (and I should know, I have one as a mother-in-law), but even their normal conversation voice that's about 140 dB has nothing on the average American tourist. You can hear that "HEY BRAD LOOK AT THIS FUNNY MONEY" from the other side of the town.

It's cool because everyone's phones have blown out microphones and speakers from shouting all the time, so nobody understands each other anyway, so they just yell "WEI? AH. AH. AH.." and pretend to follow.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A big difference I observed was that, at least in Thailand, Americans abroad are dumb and drunk and rude and whatever, but are generally having a good time and will sometimes forget where we are and try to tip you and it's generally all good. I think this is because our really obnoxious bro-ey tourists are going off to Mexico or the Caribbean instead.

Britain's ambassadors to Southeast Asia are sweaty loud leering fat bald men in Premier League shirts and sweaty loud lanky balding boys in tank tops and both of those types will start a fight faster than you can say "Birmingham." I have been threatened by a strange British man for the crime of being in the same McDonald's. I have watched Brits roll around in the gutter of a red-light district sloppily punching each other in the head and shouting incoherently. I got in a shouting argument with a British man on the street after too many beers over whether Polish was a real ethnicity or if the whole thing was just a ruse made up by some sneaky dirty little Slavs to get into Europe.

Now, Canadians can be even worse but at least they're quiet about it.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Nanomashoes posted:

How was the metal dick you rubbed?

8/10 would do again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

In BC, Australian tourists are by far the worst. If pubs and clubs could possibly have "NO X NATIONALITY" it would be australian every time. If there's a group of lovely looking dudes getting thrown out of a club and getting fighty with a bouncer, it's disproportionately australians. They love to get violently drunk and think their awful accent will charm them out of fights and into every lady's pants. Instead they get kicked out for starting a fighting or harassing women.

Chinese are a close 2nd. They're extremely loud. If your ear just happens to be between granny and her #1 prince grandson on the other side of a shop that she needs to ask if he wants some toy, she'll just scream through your head as if you weren't there. Kid trashing the store, pulling items off the shelves and onto the floor while dripping icecream? Totally fine, parents just ignore it. Kid disinterested in the OMNIMAX movie at the science centre? Just let him climb all over the seats while screaming at the top of his lungs the entire movie, whatever. Very easy to avoid though, just go anywhere more than a 30 second walk from where a tour bus can park.
UK tourists are generally nice older people out exploring the world and taking in cultures and landscapes and generally being very polite.
American tourists can be kinda loud and rude, but just in an eye-rolling way, not in an assault or street making GBS threads sort of way.

That's all locally though. In europe it's a whole other story.
I don't know if the chinese are loud and rude in europe because I can't hear them over the brits.
I don't know if australians get drunk and violent in europe because they police seem way too busy hauling away another big group of 20-something football hooligans that decided to go smash up a vietnamese immigrant food cart, or women on a stag party who decided to get violent with the wait staff for not letting them get their grope on.

This checks out.

• Locked thread