Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go are both on sale for a buck, which one should I buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Seems like you could afford both

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I only have $1.97 in my bank account and the teller thinks I'm crazy for trying to deposit a penny

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello, how is everybody doing today? I hope everybody is having a good time today! I'm excited because it is almost Friday and Fridays and weekends are cool and good
Pissed and worried

Pissed that I sat with an Amazon preorder of PSVR for months when they have had stock basically all day today
Worried that it will be broken and I will have to send it back

On the other hand I did get that XCOM 2 as a prize so I will have something to play this weekend regardless

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm interested in hitman go, but what's with the in-app purchases? Is it the full game and the purchases are dumb stuff like hints, or is it "episodic" and I only get a handful of levels with the "base" game?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm interested in hitman go, but what's with the in-app purchases? Is it the full game and the purchases are dumb stuff like hints, or is it "episodic" and I only get a handful of levels with the "base" game?
First google result I got:

"The best part of the IAP in Hitman GO is that it is completely optional; you do not need hints to complete the game (if you're that stuck, Google it)"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's been a long time since I played it but they're just hints I think (and you can pay to unlock chapters you haven't reached yet but you don't need to do that) You definitely can play the whole game without paying (including one or two extra level sets they released - I think one of them was based on the St Petersburg mission from Hitman 2)

It's a pretty decent little puzzle game with a hitman skin. I think it won mobile game of the year awards somehow

To be honest the real answer is to buy the new Hitman/the HD collection/Tomb Raider/Deus Ex instead of the GO games but maybe I shouldn't judge mobile gaming friends

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Cheers, I grabbed both Hitman and TR.

CrashCat posted:

First google result I got:

"The best part of the IAP in Hitman GO is that it is completely optional; you do not need hints to complete the game (if you're that stuck, Google it)"
I checked the store description but didn't even think of googling it. :saddowns:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ugh I just finished Bioshock Infinite for the first time. That poo poo was gooooood. Although somewhat rushed in the ultimate plot reveals/twists, but hey. Also it sucks that Ken Levine isn't going to make any more games on this scale, what a douchebag, caring about his personal life.
Are there any other modern first person games out there that come close to Infinite in terms of narrative, characters etc.? I haven't really kept up with the big single player releases. I know there are good 3rd person things like Witcher 3..

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

El Grillo posted:

Ugh I just finished Bioshock Infinite for the first time. That poo poo was gooooood. Although somewhat rushed in the ultimate plot reveals/twists, but hey. Also it sucks that Ken Levine isn't going to make any more games on this scale, what a douchebag, caring about his personal life.
Are there any other modern first person games out there that come close to Infinite in terms of narrative, characters etc.? I haven't really kept up with the big single player releases. I know there are good 3rd person things like Witcher 3..

Well... you could try Metro: Last Light; I've heard nothing but good things about it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

El Grillo posted:

I can't really think of any. The really good recent FPSes have been great more due to the gameplay than narrative. But Wolfenstein: The New Order had a way better story and characters than a reboot of Wolfenstein deserves. Definitely worth it if you like FPS as a genre. Also, much older and more of a B-movie in terms of story, but I really liked Singularity which was a last-gen game, but that may have to do with me going into thinking I was playing Timeshift, so my expectations were very low.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
EYE DIVINE CYBERMANCY

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well... you could try Metro: Last Light; I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Oh yeah someone recommended that to me once. Ohshit. The Metro Redux bundle is on sale now on Steam for like £6. Happy days.
e:

Dewgy posted:

Wolfenstein: TNO is probably the other big name in narrative FPSes, though you'd probably have a really good time with the new Doom, too. They're a lot more straight action focused than BS:I, but both have surprisingly good writing and great characterization. Wolf has a really shockingly endearing cast and has some awesome voice work, and Doom manages to completely understand just how stupid it is and embraces it completely with fantastic results.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I can't really think of any. The really good recent FPSes have been great more due to the gameplay than narrative. But Wolfenstein: The New Order had a way better story and characters than a reboot of Wolfenstein deserves. Definitely worth it if you like FPS as a genre. Also, much older and more of a B-movie in terms of story, but I really liked Singularity which was a last-gen game, but that may have to do with me going into thinking I was playing Timeshift, so my expectations were very low.
Hey Wolfenstein: TNO actually looks quite intriguing, thanks people!

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah Metro: Last Light is a really great narrative-driven game. Check out Gunslinger and Singularity as well.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

El Grillo posted:

Wolfenstein: TNO is probably the other big name in narrative FPSes, though you'd probably have a really good time with the new Doom, too. They're a lot more straight action focused than BS:I, but both have surprisingly good writing and great characterization. Wolf has a really shockingly endearing cast and has some awesome voice work, and Doom manages to completely understand just how stupid it is and embraces it completely with fantastic results.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

I haven't seen anybody mention that Rez Infinite just released on PS4 and apparently owns.

Its incredible to play the original on a new console and the new area they made is absolutely insane

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Deus Ex GO is also very good and maybe the best of the GO games, though Tomb Raider is pretty drat good.

DQBuilders doesn't fix the one problem I have with games like this, why can't every single chest I make share an inventory (maybe make this optional but still). Why do I have to remember which chest has the weapons I'm not using and which ones has the blocks I'm not using? It's great that crafting stations just pull from all your chests, so why can't PULLING FROM CHESTS pull from all your chests?!

I want to lay in bed and smoke weed and chill out, not have to remember poo poo!

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Have you played Bioshock 2+Minerva's Den? It's way better than Bioshock Infinite in every way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

EYE DIVINE CYBERMANCY

:same:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Speaking of, did they fix those bioshock 1 + 2 remasters on the pc yet?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

El Grillo posted:

Oh yeah someone recommended that to me once. Ohshit. The Metro Redux bundle is on sale now on Steam for like £6. Happy days.
e:

Hey Wolfenstein: TNO actually looks quite intriguing, thanks people!

TNO is super good. Both Metro Redux for 6 is a loving steal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel terrible for laughing at this, but my wife just texted:

"Does Builders not autosave like every other game ever??? I just lost my whole first hour of playing because I never saved :( "

But yeah, DQBuilders never autosaves in mid-chapter.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm surprised you don't have to build a church and then wait for a priest to show up to be able to save, honestly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

I'm surprised you don't have to build a church and then wait for a priest to show up to be able to save, honestly.

lol

But also, true.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't think of a single JRPG that has auto-saves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Bravely Default.

Fire Emblem.

Any Roguelike really.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Final Fantasy remakes do. Or at least FFX. Pretty useful, every game should at least let you save and quit in any location

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Bravely Default and Second save so often you never have to manually save

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

The Final Fantasy remakes do. Or at least FFX. Pretty useful, every game should at least let you save and quit in any location

I don't think FFX has autosaves?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Deus Ex GO is also very good and maybe the best of the GO games, though Tomb Raider is pretty drat good.

DQBuilders doesn't fix the one problem I have with games like this, why can't every single chest I make share an inventory (maybe make this optional but still). Why do I have to remember which chest has the weapons I'm not using and which ones has the blocks I'm not using? It's great that crafting stations just pull from all your chests, so why can't PULLING FROM CHESTS pull from all your chests?!

I want to lay in bed and smoke weed and chill out, not have to remember poo poo!

Have you built the superchest yet? It still doesn't connect to your other chests but you can access it remotely at any time.

As for the other part, I think it makes a kind of sense. It gives you a reason to visit rooms you've built to see what your townspeople have made for you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

The PC remake that came out a few years ago

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I think Square add it to all the PC versions but not consoles for some reason, guess no one told them they have hard drives nowadays too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

you aren't supposed to be using chests for storage. you're supposed to use the coffer which you can access at any time through your inventory even in the field.

chests are room requirement items for like the workshop and the kitchen for npcs to drop off what they made for you.
you only need to check them every so often and take whats in them and put it in your coffer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

The PC remake that came out a few years ago

Sakurazuka posted:

I think Square add it to all the PC versions but not consoles for some reason, guess no one told them they have hard drives nowadays too.

Ah ok, I had only played the PS3 release

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

you aren't supposed to be using chests for storage. you're supposed to use the coffer which you can access at any time through your inventory even in the field.

chests are room requirement items for like the workshop and the kitchen for npcs to drop off what they made for you.
you only need to check them every so often and take whats in them and put it in your coffer.

Snak posted:

Have you built the superchest yet? It still doesn't connect to your other chests but you can access it remotely at any time.

As for the other part, I think it makes a kind of sense. It gives you a reason to visit rooms you've built to see what your townspeople have made for you.

Oh, thank god. I haven't gotten to that part yet, I've been spending way too much time just wandering around and making my tiny base perfect, I'm just now at the point where I can make wooden things :shobon:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gizmodo posted:

Inside the lunch, several attendees told me, Oculus employees spoke to developers who were planning to leave the platform because of Luckey, and tried to get them to stay. When one answered that they wished Oculus would, at worst, make a statement acknowledging the situation and, at best, have Palmer no longer be involved with Oculus, a representative told the developer that neither of those things was going to happen.
lol talk about wanting it both ways

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Oh, thank god. I haven't gotten to that part yet, I've been spending way too much time just wandering around and making my tiny base perfect, I'm just now at the point where I can make wooden things :shobon:

Yeah, the big coffer really makes everything awesome. No only can you access ot at any time, items you collect while your inventory is full go directly into it. So stop stockpiling anything until you build the coffer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Goddammit how has Nintendo kept the lid on the NX for so long

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Quest For Glory II posted:

lol talk about wanting it both ways

What's this about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i assume wanting to have their games and their luckey too

Monkey Fracas posted:

Goddammit how has Nintendo kept the lid on the NX for so long

they haven't made it yet :ninja: can't leak what isn't real.

• Locked thread