Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Montalvo posted:

what the gently caress is a frame
Seems like a buzzword for mental state. Except they're doing the exact thing they say they aren't by viewing it and reacting as they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

LethalGeek posted:

This may be outside the bounds of this cause of where it's sourced from but it seemed very in the :stare: theme of the thread and it's about a relationship so I wanted to share.

I have absolutely no idea what any of this means

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

bone app the teeth posted:

as a sperg i am inherently logical
"People sometimes just want you to listen, not fix their problems" isn't even bad advice; it's just the framing here as "look how irrational women are" which is loathsome.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I have absolutely no idea what any of this means

He wanted to go to a sex club for Halloween and his wife didn't. They argued about it, which led to him throwing a fit, canceling a trip they were both looking forward to, then refusing to have sex or talk to his wife for days and sleeping in the guest bed. This was a plan by him, and as a reward for this plan he got the sex he would have had anyway, his wife bought him a chocolate bar, and she's going to divorce him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

NOT TO CONTINUE THE REDPILL DERAIL ... but I will anyway:

There is /r/redpillwomen

have fun

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

MF_James posted:

NOT TO CONTINUE THE REDPILL DERAIL ... but I will anyway:

There is /r/redpillwomen

have fun

Oh, come on. All of those are fake.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Day Man posted:

Oh, come on. All of those are fake.

No way. Females are insidious and will worm their way into any successful male-dominated community that they can in order to set up as "queen bees" and turn neophytes and weaklings into beta orbiters. It doesn't matter if the particular community regards females as belligerent, untrustworthy children at best and disposable fuckholes at worst.

But for reals, there are probably a handful of very lonely and very misguided young women out there who think subscribing to this bullshit is the way to make friends or whatever, and are living deep, deep in denial about what redpillers are all about and who their anger is directed towards.

im cute fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 14, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Montalvo posted:

what the gently caress is a frame

It's PUA idiot shorthand for trying desperately to avoid empathy or self examination

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
That whole redpill poo poo is pure distilled autism and internet, I know, but I find it really amusing that they use the matrix symbolism in it like it is still 1999 and "don't you want to be like Keanu?" I actually have no idea what happens in the movie I've never seen it but you get my point.

It's like an out of touch old person trying to reference the matrix because it is allegedly cool and good and the kids are into that matrix stuff I saw it on 60 minutes.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Ironically, in their case taking the red pill removes you from the real world and pulls you into an insane fantasy world full of enemies and discredited pop psychology

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bone app the teeth posted:

1) Shut the gently caress up - You're too new and dumb still. Anything you say will mostly likely be responding to her words, not her feelz. And will backfire. Stay quiet and just don't make it worse.
2) Give her a hug - Stay quiet! Hugging is giving good feelz. Bear hug that woman when she needs it. It gives her both natural good feelz and the sensation of safety that is inbred in most animals.
3) AM and other sarcastic responses - My life got way better when I started replying to 80% of what my SO said with well-planned sarcasm. She doesn't give a poo poo about your logic (most of the time). Respond by controlling her feelings to what you want!! Think about that. You're using sass instead of debate to switch her feelings/thoughts around. It's more effective and everyone is happier. This is the way to put the brakes on when she's on the highway to negative feelz and swing down the offramp of your choice.
4) rear end smack, random dance, new music... - Anything that jolts her out of the spiral she's in. She doesn't need a solution. She doesn't want to discuss it. She wants to feel something different. This is you holding frame and communicating, "I'm not going to be pulled into your emotional poo poo. I wont allow you to control me." And.. if you're doing it right she'll be thinking, "Thank you for stopping my spiral. I appreciate a man that can cut through the poo poo and get us back on track."

This is why the rear end-hole got the girl. While you were determined to care about and fix her negative feelings (drawing into her frame) ... he was busy not giving a poo poo, being happy, and sucking them into his awesome feelings.
All of this has been said before. Shut the gently caress up. Hold frame. Bat poo poo tests. But hopefully this helps some of you digest the importance in a new way.

Way to stick it to those bitches with rear end in a top hat moves like "being quiet and listening instead of talking", "giving her a hug", and "playfully distracting her from her problems." THAT'LL TEACH THEM :argh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Straight White Shark posted:

Way to stick it to those bitches with rear end in a top hat moves like "being quiet and listening instead of talking", "giving her a hug", and "playfully distracting her from her problems." THAT'LL TEACH THEM :argh:

Like Incoherence said, half of that stuff is actually decent advice, just twisted through an insane manipulative point of view. A lot of the PUA scene is like that, like the whole concept of "negging" is just people trying to understand playful banter in scientific formulaic terms.

There used to be a really awful PUA thread with a corresponding great Helldump thread mocking it, circa 2008 or so. I don't have archives so I don't know what happened to it or where Helldump threads actually went.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Like Incoherence said, half of that stuff is actually decent advice, just twisted through an insane manipulative point of view. A lot of the PUA scene is like that, like the whole concept of "negging" is just people trying to understand playful banter in scientific formulaic terms.

There used to be a really awful PUA thread with a corresponding great Helldump thread mocking it, circa 2008 or so. I don't have archives so I don't know what happened to it or where Helldump threads actually went.

Here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2919046

Straight White Shark posted:

MRP is obviously a NOW psyop. And speaking of psyops

Me [27 F] with my boyfriend [29 M] of 10 years, he constantly burps and farts..

quote:

Okay, So this just happened.. again.. We went to have sex and he farted super loud. Didn't seem like he had any intention on holding it in. If it was a rare accident, I would have not cared a bit, embarrassing slips happen to everyone... but he was fully aware he was doing it. I just couldn't have sex with him. Farting can be funny when you both are on a couch watching tv and goofing around, but in sex it is an instant turn off... I tried explaining that it is not hot, and i really don't want to have sex anymore and he got really offended.

Now this is constant problem. He burps every few minutes. Claims he can't control it. He farts everywhere, even in my car with windows closed when i drive him to work... multiple times. Doesn't keep it a secret. Doesn't stop after i ask him multiple times. Claim's he can't control his farts and i am an insensitive person for blaming it on him.

Am i delirious and he is right, or? and what to do?

tl;dr: Boyfriend constantly farts and burps. Not hot. Gets offended by talking about it. What to do?

im cute fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 14, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Ironically, in their case taking the red pill removes you from the real world and pulls you into an insane fantasy world full of enemies and discredited pop psychology
This more than anything is why I think TRP was a joke that got way out of hand.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

mind the walrus posted:

This more than anything is why I think TRP was a joke that got way out of hand.
Much like racism, "ironic" misogyny invariably attracts actual misogynists.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tender Bender posted:

He wanted to go to a sex club for Halloween and his wife didn't. They argued about it, which led to him throwing a fit, canceling a trip they were both looking forward to, then refusing to have sex or talk to his wife for days and sleeping in the guest bed. This was a plan by him, and as a reward for this plan he got the sex he would have had anyway, his wife bought him a chocolate bar, and she's going to divorce him.

What was all that poo poo about referencing a movie and her wearing lingerie? Like what the gently caress, that looked like it had been written by Tommy Wiseau

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

My boyfriend [30M] hid my [27F] medication while I was asleep

So this happened, and I really don't understand. I might be in the wrong, this just feels so upsetting.

My boyfriend and I have been together 2 years, and have lived together for most of them. We have a very good relationship, and are talking about starting our future together soon.

Me: I have some medical issues, including a long-term autoimmune disease. Recently I've been in and out of the hospital because of kidney stones. I was in a lot of pain, but don't tolerate narcotics well (itching and puking) so they gave me a low dose of tramadol, which they told me would be more mild on me. I really had to beg them not to give me anything stronger because there's almost no way I can avoid the side effects.

So it's been about 2 months since I last was in the hospital. About 2 weeks ago, I had a really bad migraine. I've gotten them since I was 14, they're diagnosed and everything. I did something that was probably wrong, which was take 1 tramadol to deal with the migraine. My boyfriend knew I took it, because I was asking him where the benadryl and dramamine was so I wouldn't be itchy or pukey. At the time, bf told me he wished I hadn't taken it because the doctor gave me tramadol SPECIFICALLY for kidney stone pain. I agreed, probably not the best thing to do, but I was in pain and it seemed logical at the time.

Yesterday, I decided to clean out my complete mess of a bathroom drawer, especially to throw away old pill bottles. I'm on a couple of medications for my autoimmune disorder, and the bottles tend to pile up. So I cleaned out my drawer, but the tramadol was gone. I just figured I had already thrown it out by mistake and didn't think twice about it.

At bedtime, I was mentioning to my boyfriend what an airhead I was, that apparently I had thrown out a bottle full of tramadol. He then confessed to me that no, he had hidden it from me. He said he didn't like that I took it for a headache instead of its intended purpose, so when I went to sleep that night he went in my drawer and took it.

A word on my boyfriend: he's straight edge, meaning he doesn't smoke, drink, or do drugs. Back when I was in undergraduate (you know, almost 10 years ago) I was not so straight edge. I drank maybe a bit too much and smoked weed. But none of this to any kind of excess, and no other drugs. I just had a good time partying, and by the time I was like 23-24 the fun of it wore off. I'll still have a drink every once in a while, once a month, tops. And yeah, I've been with my boyfriend and gotten a little tipsy. He ALWAYS says he doesn't mind, and it genuinely seemed like it didn't matter.

But now this. He apparently confiscated my medication because he thought I abused it (which, I admit, I at least used not for its intended purpose) and he thought I was going to abuse it more, so he hid it. I can't think of anything during our relationship that would have made him think I'm all of a sudden going to abuse narcotics, especially because I can BARELY stand them!

I'm really angry he would do something like this. In a sense, it's not like it matters, because I don't need them. But in another sense, it feels paternalistic and gross. At the very least, he could have had a conversation with me instead of taking them when I fell asleep.

Am I overreacting about this? Obviously he had no intention to tell me. If I wouldn't have noticed they were gone, I doubt he would have said anything. And, although I don't want go down a slippery slope train of thought, what else does he feel he can police me about? I talked to him about all this and he didn't have a good answer. We were going to bed and I was falling asleep so I just dropped it. But it's really bothering me.

tl;dr: My boyfriend decided I misused my medication, took it from my drawer when I was asleep, and hid it. Had no intention of telling me. Finding this very troubling, what do I do?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think i know why all these peoples relationships have failed. If you have to describe them in less than a novel or more than a paragraph they are doomed. DOOOOOMED!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Someone older than 16 who call themselves "straight-edge" is a massive loving tool. What a shock.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I had an employee who was getting into a mindset like this and I sat him down and said "You don't get it. Women are friends who will have sex with you! They're not an enemy that you have to trick or fool!"

He's now in a happy, healthy, 2 year strong relationship with a very nice girl.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Straight edge people still exist in 2016?what the heck

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

i thought all the straight edge people converted to craft beer drinkers

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There has to be at least one of them who got those stupid loving "X"s tattoo'd on his hands in 2004 and now has to play it off like "Oh it's so they'll know which one not to amputate ha ha ha ha :qq:"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Has anyone else met a straight edge who wasn't an insufferable twat?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Well....

Nah.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had a long period where I didn't drink, and I let people know by telling them "oh, no thanks, I don't drink." People are cool with most things when you don't couch them in terms of how you're better than them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Please don't post that redpill stuff in here, there wasn't really much humor there. More chicken forcefeed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Also, *shifty eyes*

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760159&userid=146071

note the dates

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't get how a normal person would consider dating a straight edge weiner.

This guy is the embodiment of internet relationships. Can't wait for the update in a year when he's even more unhappy with a child in tow.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 14, 2016

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

i want to slap the poo poo out of this wishy-washy gently caress

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

quote:

He said he didn't like that I took it for a headache instead of its intended purpose, so when I went to sleep that night he went in my drawer and took it.

Her boyfriend is an idiot and a controlling piece of poo poo. The 'intended purpose' of prescription pain medication is to alleviate pain that can't be controlled with OTC meds, wherever it may originate from. It's not like she was making up bullshit excuses for the sake of taking extra pills, migraines are legitimately terrible.

quote:

At the time, bf told me he wished I hadn't taken it because the doctor gave me tramadol SPECIFICALLY for kidney stone pain

"Sorry hon, I know you're in so much pain that you can barely stand up but the last time I checked there weren't any kidneys in your head so you're just gonna have to deal with it. It's only a headache, what's the big deal?"

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

He's cheating on his fiance, physically and emotionally, mere days before they are to get married, but still can't bring himself to call off the wedding. His list of reasons takes the loving cake... really dude, you can't call off the wedding because you guys share 2 cats?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

This went from "Haha this guy's a loving loser" to legit pissed off super swiftly.

TheQuad posted:

- I do genuinely still care for her, and by breaking it off I will be personally responsible for causing her great pain. It will be the toughest conversation in my life and it scares the poo poo out of me.

You don't care enough for her to not cheat on her four days before your god drat wedding

corn on the cop posted:

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

LethalGeek posted:

Only if recovering addicts count. But really it's one of those things where the people living that lifestyle who aren't insufferable never enter your radar because they don't feel the need to get up in your face with it constantly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My roommate [25M] pretends he's British to pick up girls. I [22F] let his little "secret" out and now he's pissed and claiming I broke some sort of weird code.

quote:

Yes, this problem is as dumb as it sounds. But my friends have no other suggestions other than the most extreme "gently caress yous", and I'm at a lost as to what to do, so here I am.

My roommate is a friend of my brother's. They used to live together, and then he moved here to get his master's. I'm finishing up school and my roommate ended up moving in with her boyfriend, he needed a place to stay, so I agreed to live with him. And for the most part he's a pretty normal dude. He cleans up after himself, he's not too loud, he doesn't touch my stuff, he's a fine roommate.

But he does this thing where he pretends he's British to pick up chicks. I know this isn't super uncommon (girls like foreign accents and all that), but I do think it's kinda funny. I didn't even know he did it until one night we went out to a bar together and he told me he was going to do it. Suddenly, the few stray British pounds he keeps in his wallet and the Union Jack on his wall made a hell of a lot more sense.

Anyway, to keep this as short as possible because I know nobody wants to read a book: a while back he came home with this girl. I didn't see her, for the record, but the next day he made a comment about how she had mentioned a friend of hers who he recognized as a friend of mine. Again, we don't hang out a lot so he doesn't really know or care enough to get too involved, it was just a, "Hey, I hooked up with a girl who knows your friend [x]." Okay, cool. A few days past and I forgot all about it. Until I saw my friend. I remembered what he had said and I mentioned it to my friend, and we laughed about how he pretends to be British. Well, apparently my friend told the girl he hooked up with. And she got really mad and and confronted him. And somehow it got out that he does this and now all his girlfriends and the girls he's been continuously hooking up with think he's a creep.

Aaaaand he's super mad at me. I apologized, said I didn't think about it getting back to her and blowing up, that I was just joking with a friend. But he's pissed as all hell and totally freezing me out. Before this, we got along fairly well. We weren't really "friends", but we could coexist in the same room, we'd pick up things for each other at the store, we didn't have arguments over whose turn it was to take out the trash or clean the bathroom.

That's all gone now. If he's in the kitchen eating dinner and I want to fix myself food, he either gets up and leaves or asks me to go away. He doesn't talk to me at all anymore. The other day maintenance was coming, he didn't tell me. So it's like 8 am and I'm sitting in the living room in my underwear when they comes. Not a huge deal, but annoying, you know? Before when he would bring home girls, I'd at least get a cursory heads up so I could go to my boyfriend's for the night if I wanted. Now, nothing.

I'm just getting really annoyed. I understand why he's mad, but it's been like 2 weeks and frankly he should be over it by now. It's not like I ruined him from having sex forever. Oh, boo-hoo, he had like 4 fuckbuddies ditch him. He's already found more. What do I do to smooth this all over?

tl;dr: I let it slip that my roommate pretends to be British to pick up chicks. Now he's pissed and not being very cooperative about anything. I'm annoyed and just want it to end already.

Oi mate, ya done broken the Bro Code, ya tosser!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My cousin was straightedge when he was 17-19, but as with 99% of straightedge people that poo poo did not last until 21

I know plenty of people who don't drink, they're fine, but anyone still doing the full straightedge thing after they're out of late-stage puberty is gonna be, let's say, difficult

WampaLord posted:

My roommate [25M] pretends he's British to pick up girls. I [22F] let his little "secret" out and now he's pissed and claiming I broke some sort of weird code.

Oi mate, ya done broken the Bro Code, ya tosser!

How I Met Your Mother was a good show, for a few seasons anyway

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
GUESS THE AGE!

My [28f] boyfriend's [31m] female friend refers to me as "borderline retarded", and said my gene pool "should end with me".

quote:

They've been friends for about 10 years. She lives across the country. When he and I first got together she told him she "couldn't be his friend anymore" because she "had feelings for him and couldn't handle him being with someone else". Eventually she contacted him and they started talking again.
She would ask him, on a daily basis, to compliment her in order to "boost her ego", would ask him to tell her how it was the one time they fooled around, if she was good, again, to "boost her ego". While drunk one night he admitted he told her that she had tasted amazing, claimed he only said it to make her feel better about herself because she had been feeling really down. I wasn't really comfortable or okay with that. He downplayed how much they talked, and said he would never Skype with her because, given everything else, he understood that it would make me uncomfortable. A couple weeks later he confessed that he was Skyping with her, but they were just watching Netflix. I asked her prior to him coming clean, because I had a gut feeling he was lying, she lied to me and claimed they hadn't.
I am not fully okay with this friendship continuing. He has crossed lines with her, not involving physical contact but lying about how much they talk, how they talk, and the sexual nature of their conversations.
I have told him that I am not at all okay with the fact that she says such incredibly disrespectful things about me and he either agrees with her or says nothing. He says I have no business trying to micromanage his life and friendships.
He says I "obsess" about it because I think about it whenever he calls me stupid or dumb, and I've tried to tell him that all I'm asking for is for him to tell her to cut the poo poo and to say nothing if she can't say anything respectful about me or our relationship, and I would then be able to let it go. As it stands now, she has called me a oval office, said awful things about me, and all he has done is either agree or say nothing, so I am stuck thinking that he believes the same things about me that she does.
So, I guess what I'm asking is, is this okay? Am I making a bigger deal of this than what it is? Am I just trying to micromanage a completely acceptable friendship? I know that when my friends have said disrespectful things about him I have told them that it isn't okay, and they can dislike him all they want but it's lovely and disrespectful towards me when they say things about my partner. Is it micromanaging to ask for the same from him?
TL;DR: My boyfriend's cross country friend says extremely negative and disrespectful things about me, he has agreed with her or said nothing. Am I crazy for being mad and simply trying to micromanage his life and friendships?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

How I Met Your Mother was a good show, for a few seasons anyway

I really really liked it, and then I finally watched the ending. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

whenever he calls me stupid or dumb

She seems to think the girl is the main problem, when this is going on..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I really really liked it, and then I finally watched the ending. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Me [Bob Saget/M] with my kids [15/M, 17/F], I just spent literal years telling them about all the one-night stands I had before meeting their mom [dead/F] and then glossed over the entire marriage in about ten seconds and now they're encouraging me to go hook up with my ex [Canada/F] who they've known since birth and call "Aunt Robin", my issue is that apparently nobody involved sees a problem with any of this, wtf

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 14, 2016