Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
I can't say I don't recall using Han too much, however his introduction is really well done. The double headed coin toss with the Figaro Bros. just makes the scene all the better. Oh, and before I forget...

FredMSloniker posted:

Bruce Campbell is a national treasure.

https://youtu.be/XxYJmfjVwqA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was always so weirded out by Han's portrait. Most of the characters look fine (even if Leo is...um, sporting a deep tan his sprite wouldn't suggest), and then there's Han looking like someone took a medical cadaver and hit it with a bus.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DeathChicken posted:

I was always so weirded out by Han's portrait. Most of the characters look fine (even if Leo is...um, sporting a deep tan his sprite wouldn't suggest), and then there's Han looking like someone took a medical cadaver and hit it with a bus.

Well....he's a hardcore gambler.

Probably gotten into one too many knife fights. And he's an albino I guess :downs:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

mauman posted:

Well....he's a hardcore gambler.

Probably gotten into one too many knife fights. And he's an albino I guess :downs:

Steampunk drugs.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

The real reason he owns the world's only airship is because he crashed most of the others.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It has now been six days since this LP of FF6 was bumped. I'm missing it, so I figured I'd bump it. Bumped.

Setzer is only 29? First I've known that and given his portrait I too am surprised. Man's obviously done a lot of hard living.

I also agree that Bruce Campbell is awesome. One of my favorite wisecracking hero actors of all time. Brisco County, Army of Darkness, Xena, Burn Notice- he is a memorable badass and I enjoy everything he's in.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm 29 and as Leave can tell you (if he saw the selfie I posted on Facebook on Monday) you can easily look like you've had a hard life at 29. I was haggard and world weary at 26. I'm kinda a prodigy :smuggo:

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 20, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
29 is ancient in anime years.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Seeing this LP start finally got me to actually beat FF6. I only ever completed it as a kid by cheating and every time I've tried to do so again I end up getting bored near the end and giving up. But this time I did it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Tell you what, guys, I'll do an update tomorrow. Mostly because I'm sure some of you think that I've probably been kidnapped and nobody has bothered to pay the ransom.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
But... we all know you were kidnapped. By the Koopaling. Ain't no paying that ransom, you know.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Smaster- Yeah, I had my lieutenants preparing a strike team to rescue Leave from his kidnappers but once we heard who the kidnapper was, we had to abandon the plan. Ain't messing with that opponent, no way. :lol:

I'll be glad for the update though, gets me closer to posting the next part of my monster gazeteer. And it's a good LP about a good game too. :) That's why I bumped just in case.

Geocities Homepage King- Congratulations. Now try a natural magic only (no Espers) run. I've been dared to do that recently and am contemplating it. If I can do all three Max Payne games no damage no bullet time (which I have) I can do this. It can't be as rough as getting a Boss ranking on MGS 3 (which I got frustrated and did not do). Or so I keep telling myself. We'll see if I end up taking and fulfilling the dare.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SMaster777 posted:

But... we all know you were kidnapped. By the Koopaling. Ain't no paying that ransom, you know.

That's not quite true, but it does take 18+ years, averaging on 26 these days.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Leavemywife posted:

Hey, everyone. You all enjoying the LP? I feel like my last few haven't been as good as they could have been. How's this one, you think? Is it good, or do I need to do some things better
It's FFIII // VI. It's my favorite one and I try to make time to play it once a year. The GBA version apparently fixes a bunch of the bugs from the original SNES release, but I honestly don't see that changing a whole lot. Magic (also magic evade) is still king; physicals are an afterthought at sufficient levels of power/esper management.

I don't really have anything to add that isn't spergy powergaming bullshit. I've just been lurking, because other than that, I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said by others from this LP or other LPs of the game. :shobon:

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 21, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's important to be a dad, but it's also important to keep your head above water in between all the crying and dirty diapers. I trust you'll find a good balance. :)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Eight: This Update Brought To You By A Calm-ish Baby

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we convinced Han to join our team and let us use his airship at our leisure. Well, not quite at our leisure, just yet, but we've made it to the continent that has the Empire capital of Vector, but before we go there, we're going to explore around the continent, so let's roll.

To our right is Albrook, which is where we're going first today. There are three cities on this continent, not counting Vector, and we'll hit them all up today.

We won't be shifting any paradigms with anything today, but the other towns are interesting to note, mostly because the Empire has turned them to poo poo.

Like Albrook here! Two Magitek goons at the entrance, and you can see damage to the walls behind them.

It's more of a symbolic thing; you can leave a hanging body around, but a charred corpse will eventually be shuffled off.

Funnily enough, this guy used to be on the tourism board.

The Eastern edge?

Well, it's just a regular goddamned mystery what's over there, isn't it? We'll get over there eventually; it's a bit of gated content right now.

I highly doubt that. I'm pretty sure in this scenario, you're the red shirt and we're the alien rock monster.

Despite looking like the town prostitute, this is just a normal lady. I think.

It's entirely possible she's a prostitute, I guess.

Either way, she has directions for us.

On the other side of that wall, we enter the relic shop. There's good poo poo in here.

Such as Earrings! I buy another pair, for Olivia.

I also grab a couple of these, just in case. I know where I can make use of them later.

Meanwhile, the back of the Relic shop leads to the pub.

And a hidden Elixir.

This is what the soldiers have to say. I think all of them say it, but I didn't thoroughly investigate.

I'm pretty sure they actually do.

Means you're safe, really. They won't want to turn their only pub to poo poo.

There's some interesting stuff here, but nothing that I buy.

The Bastard Sword offers an attack boost, but that's it. The Sakura is another weapon for Bowser, one that's wind elemental, and there's his various Scrolls and the Shuriken for sale here, too.

Thousand year old weapons, used during a gently caress-everyone war? I want them.

One of them is something we can actually use, and the other? We'll get there when we do.

However, the people here know that they don't have the good stuff. It's in the other towns on this continent.

Still, may as well check it out.

The Priest's Miter is the interesting bit of gear here.

It's the magic flavored version of the Green Beret, but it doesn't offer the magic boost that the Magus Hat does.

There's also two empty chests in here.

And that's Albrook. There's also a big port attached to it, which I forgot until I was writing this update. :doh:

We're heading north now, to the town at the tip of the continent.

And there are new enemies around here, some of which are rather nasty.

Jokers, for example, can gently caress your poo poo up. They can use Acid Rain, which will sting, and they have a boring physical, too.

If you get one alone (which is easy, since they only have 467 HP, so Remain or Leave can one-shot a Joker with no problems), then they'll bust out Thundara.

Thundara is a second level magic spell, and we're barely capable of learning the first levels. It hurts as much as you'd expect, and will kill basically anyone it hits.

They're worth 194 EXP and 320 Gil a pop, though, so that's not bad, especially since it's not too hard to take them out. If you can stagger it so they're all taken out at once, you've eliminated a lot of the danger. Rising Phoenix would do a nice job of that, as would exploiting their weakness to Lightning and Poison.

Oh, and that city there is Vector, in case you weren't sure.

Up north here is Tzen, another occupied city. Hell, the Empire has all of this poo poo on lockdown, but they started with Albrook first, since it's the port city of the continent.

I wonder, do you have to get out of those suits of armor to tap a kidney, or is there some sort of catheter system in place?

I know I love fanart and want to see all of it that I can, but please, nobody draw that.

This little kid is sliding down the banister, which isn't dangerous at all.

I imagine this line is spoken with an outstretched right hand.

Only one thing of note inside the Weapon Shop, and it's a hell of a note.

New ranged weapons for Nathan!

Now he can do his best Australian cosplay, and perpetuate a stereotype. It's a win-win!

The new Mythril headgear is tempting, but I'd be losing 12.5% of the HP of Nathan, Remain and Leave, and only for one point of defense. Pass.

Outside, this guy tells us about the Empire's super-weapon.

Pfft. I'm going to kick the rear end out of that thing.

And, finally, Relics.

The Black Belt lets you counter attacks that come your way, while the Amulet prevents Poison, Blind, and Zombie.

Suck it, Tzen, we're out.

Where we're immediately attacked.

I work with a guy named Don and, incredibly, these dogs are better looking than he is.

That's all I have to say about them. They've got 620 HP, give out 345 Gil and 255 EXP each, but they only have boring physicals to talk about. poo poo, they don't even have any weaknesses.

I can't bring myself to stretch out a boring fight like that. It's just a slugfest. Much as I love one of those, I prefer to have one with a boss, where the stakes are real and gigantic numbers are flying around. Slugfests with regular enemies are boring.

But, here's an interesting enemy.

The Wyvern is a lot tougher, with 892 HP. They're also weak to Ice, and have an attack called Cyclonic, which they only use when alone, and I never had one alone. Which is good, since Cyclonic will drop your HP to 15/16ths, and they can inflict Sap, so they can easily wreck your poo poo.

So these guys get blasted with flaming clones and

plenty of crossbow bolts. gently caress these guys. 484 and 434 EXP and Gil, though, so that's not bad.

Nathan can also steal Dragoon Boots from them, which turns the Attack command to Jump. Jump deals 50% more damage, unless you have a spear equipped, which then doubles the damage. But not all spears, for some inexplicable loving reason.

And, finally, we have Maranda. The injured soldier in Mobliz was from here and we could have exchanged letters with his sweetheart, gaining an accessory at the end, called the Tintinnabulum. It would restore HP for the wearer with each step taken, equivalent to Stamina/4.

Huh. Didn't take much for it to become a shithole.

Give me forty-five minutes. I can probably rip Vector to shreds in that time.

The Mythril Mail is heavy armor and boasts 51 Defense. I think I gave Remain a suit of it.

There's also a group of people doing their best Michael Vick impersonation, but we can't join in.

So you watch dogs fight. Jesus.

I'm going to check out the weapons. One of those dogs better be a winner when I get back.

The Trident is the only upgrade here, and I grab one for Remain.

It inflicts Water type damage, which is a bit of a rarity in this game. Water isn't all that common, so it's good to have a source of it around.

It's also a nice boost to his attack if I ever get some Dragoon Boots and stop Drilling and Chainsawing things long enough to actually Jump.

But, that sums it up for the towns on this continent. We could have skipped all of that and gone straight to Vector, but that just doesn't seem right.

We'll stop outside of the Vector Inn. Next time, we'll see about that Magitek Research Facility thing, so stay tuned!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw yeah. Dig that... random... metal ductwork. That's... uh, that's progress, I guess?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't think I ever did anything other than run straight to Vector at this point so that was kind of interesting.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

The only reason I remember Maranda is because of the dog fighting that the Empire's soldiers are enforcing. Not exactly fond of that, but I guess that only helps cement how the Empire is practically irredeemable. Then again I'm honestly surprised given everything they do that they didn't grab some kids off the street, give 'em knives, and told them to go at it. Of course we know the reason(s) for that not being the game.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ParanoidLogician posted:

The only reason I remember Maranda is because of the dog fighting that the Empire's soldiers are enforcing. Not exactly fond of that, but I guess that only helps cement how the Empire is practically irredeemable. Then again I'm honestly surprised given everything they do that they didn't grab some kids off the street, give 'em knives, and told them to go at it. Of course we know the reason(s) for that not being the game.

When I first played, right after it came out, I was shocked Nintendo let them keep it in.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
These days, they'd probably give you a way to bet on the dogfight or somehow get Bowser to Maranda to enter Interceptor... Either would go down with me about as well as the cockfighting in Sleeping Dogs (the only part of that game I didn't enjoy).

I agree most players go straight to Vector but the new equipment available at Tzen and Maranda should definitely make things easier there. :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There's a chocobo somewhere around Maranda(?) that makes scooting around the continent far less annoying. Of course I never knew this until years after the fact.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

There's one right outside Tzen as well, if you're so inclined.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

There's one right outside Tzen as well, if you're so inclined.

Which I thought Leave was going towards since his screenshot going into battle outside made it look like he was moving towards the forest.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

achtungnight posted:

I agree most players go straight to Vector but the new equipment available at Tzen and Maranda should definitely make things easier there. :)

Meh, I wouldn't consider this a necessary equipment upgrade point. Anyone whose lagging behind armor wise can get up to speed in Albrook, and weapons aren't really an issue right now (Fire Dance, Flash, and any all target magic Rages that Gau has will tear everything apart). You might make a case for getting Boomerangs for Locke but he won't be contributing much damage anyways even with that, unless you grinded (ground? grounded?) him to get Thundera. I usually tour the continent once we can actually fly the ship. Unless you wanna grind, going around the continent is best saved for later.

Oh spoilers, at some point the Blackjack becomes controllable.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

you get to fly an airship in a Final Fantasy game

poo poo, dude, loving spoilers!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
All the times I've ever played this game, I always end up taking Leave and Remain along for the Opera and infiltrating the Empire. One time I did try to bring Jack and Mowgli instead, but I got turned away at the Opera House, so I after that point I just figured Leave and Remain were mandatory for this part even though the game gives you a choice on who to bring.

In retrospect, I think what probably happened was I ended up trying to go to the Opera House before going to Owzer's Mansion to learn about Han. That's the only thing I can think of.

Also, I'm mildly disappointed that nobody suggested "D'Arby" for Setzer's name.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, I'm mildly disappointed that nobody suggested "D'Arby" for Setzer's name.

That sounds like a suggestion I could have made if I weren't aware of the fact that no one who posts in Leave's LPs would have understood it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ParanoidLogician posted:

That sounds like a suggestion I could have made if I weren't aware of the fact that no one who posts in Leave's LPs would have understood it.

You can definitely count me in the people that don't get it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Explosionface posted:

You can definitely count me in the people that don't get it.

I think it's an anime joke.

Specifically JoJo

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

mauman posted:

I think it's an anime joke.

Specifically JoJo

Correct, granted it's a reference not a joke much like how Nathan and Han have been references. To explain the reference, there's a character named Daniel J. D'Arby who the protagonists have to defeat in JoJo's third part via gambling with him. However, D'Arby is a notorious cheater when it comes to his gambles and if he wins a gamble he gets your soul which he makes into a poker chip. As one can expect, D'Arby's main game is Poker.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Nine: This Is What Factories Sound Like In My Mind

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we did some shopping and did the tourist thing and visited the cities around the continent. Today, we're going to infiltrate Vector and enter the Magitek Research Facility, so let's roll.

Man, what a dick. If this is the welcoming committee, I'm thinking that this isn't a very nice town.

There's also a lot of stuff around here, so this update is going to be longer than the last few. I took 240 images for it, for reference.

Why, uh, sure we are. gently caress yeah, Empire and all that.

:raise:

Okay, fine, gently caress the Empire in their stupid face.

That wasn't the right answer, either!?

Oh, poo poo, generic character sprites!

...These are the Guards from Narshe.

I'm pretty sure that guy is so dead, time warped and killed his grandfather.

Oh, you little sneak! You had me going for a minute there!

And just like that, we've found a free full heal in this town, so we never have to stay at the Inn. I still will, just to show you what happens there, but we don't have to.

The weapon and armor shops contain things we've already seen, so no need to do any shopping.

So, uh, I guess it's Inn time.

First off, we can go bug a couple who are trying to have an intimate moment.

I don't think it's a very rigorous application process.

"Are you willing to kill women and small children?"
"Uh...No. That's--"
:commissar:

Instead of further eavesdropping, let's just go take a nap ourselves.

Usually, when you stay at the Inn, the nice music plays, the screen fades to black, and you get up the next day, fresh and ready to tackle the Empire.

At this Inn, though, things are a little different.

The man behind the counter goes and visits everyone in their beds, looking like someone who will soon wind up on some sort of registry.

He tells you that the Inn is free, but in reality, he robs you of a thousand gil, so this is the most expensive Inn we've encountered yet.

Pretend that didn't happen. We're moving on.

Ultimately, we want to talk to the old guy behind the crates there.

Instead, we're going to activate Solid Snake mode and sneak to the Imperial Palace.

Stopping at the pub first, though. When coming up here, avoid the soldiers, otherwise

You'll get into a fight.

Enemies around here are pretty different from what we're used to fighting.

For one, Rising Phoenix won't end the fight before it really begins.

As the Sergeant has 580 HP and the Belzecue has 615, so they're fairly hardy.

The enemies around here possess absolutely ridiculous physical defense, so magic and magic based attacks are the way to go. It's along the same lines as in Chrono Trigger, when you enter Heckran's Cave; they want you to use your fancy new magic spells, so they give you an area where it's nigh required to use them.

You'll get 252 EXP from the Sergeants and 228 from the dogs, as well as 273 and 343 Gil respectively.

We also get a small helping of AP.

And afterward, we run to the entrance of the city, so avoid those guys. We've got poo poo to do up there.

Leo is the only general who isn't Magitek'd up. He's just a regular ol' badass, with a flattop that Guile would envy.

Anywho, into the pub!

Totes true.

Totes untrue.

Yeah, Kekfa is the kind of person who is a mistake.

How does everyone know that!?

Then again, the king of Figaro is probably known around the world.

Hell yes, I do!

I'll have to keep that in mind.

Oh?

This is pretty much the only information about Kefka we're ever going to learn. Anything else is purely speculation.

Alright, so now we're sneaking into the Imperial Palace.

:ninja:

Oh, poo poo, cheese it!

That was a close one!

Oh, hell.

Whatever, bring it on, two dudes!

Now, I could talk about this fight, but, uh, just check it out.

Needless to say, we're getting the hell out of there.

Down to this little kid that can use Cure magic.

Which he was given by Cid, who figured out all the different Magitek stuff.

Wait about an hour and see what happens within the research facility. You'll know why. Trust me.

I am. Coming up is one of my favorite tracks in the game, and the one I probably remember best.

Uh...I guess that's distracting.

Oh, he's going to go puke on their boots. Good idea.

'course, these soldiers seem used to it.

But, it allows us to sneak over their heads, while they help him puke over the edge.

And into the facility!

Click that music link. It's exactly what factories sound like in my mind.

The Sergeants and Belzecues are some of the enemies in here, but we've already met them. There's a few others, and they all share the same physical resistance.

We can also enter these large pipes to travel around and find treasures.

There are also conveyor belts to take us around the facility. Because of course there are. It's not a video game factory without it.

There are three elemental swords around here, and they come in fire, ice, and lightning flavors.

They all do pretty much the same thing, just with a different element attached to them. Olivia only gets this because of the magic boost.

We can ride this crane hook back over to start making some progress.

We could have taken that pipe above us to get down here, but then we wouldn't have gotten the Flametongue.

One pipe leads to treasure, which we'll grab.

Ethers were really hot poo poo back in Final Fantasy IV, where magic was one of our best options for hitting multiple targets. Or, y'know, our only real one.

In this game, there are so many different options for hitting an entire screen full of enemies, it's not even funny. Remain and Leave are fantastic at that sort of thing, and Olivia has the magic to do it, and the magic power to back it up; Nathan doesn't really have the magic power to do it, but if we had brought Mowgli, we'd have an entire team of poo poo-wreckers to work with, able to annihilate entire screens without breaking a sweat.

In short, the Ether isn't a bad thing to have, but with the power of Blitzes and the Tools that deal magic damage, we don't really have to be spending any MP. Nathan is mostly Mugging enemies, grabbing some low-tier items.

This is another item that isn't bad to have, in a sort of "Oh, poo poo, things went south" way.

Through that pipe is an elevator that leads to the Flametongue, so there's no reason to take the pipe in the beginning. I still did it out of habit.

Oh, hey, new enemies!

And this comprises the rest of the enemies we'll be seeing in this update. They have the same physical resistance, so magic based attacks are the way to go.

So, obviously, my first course of action is to have Nathan jump in the Onion Knight's grill and throw a boomerang at him.

They only have 250 HP, so they're not that hardy, but I do take a few Potions from them. They're weak to Lightning and Water, too. They can inflict Imp on your characters, which tanks your attack and defense to their natural levels; you can use magic, but only if it's the Imp spell. There's more about Imps, but the stuff that really matters to them comes up much later.

The Proto Armor is far hardier, with 670 HP and only a weakness to Lightning. I was using the Chainsaw here to provide a good example of how tough these guys are, but Remain went all Jason Voorhees on it and instantly murdered it. They can attempt to Blind your characters, fire missiles and lasers, but you can also steal HI-Potions from them, and with a bit of luck, a suit of Mythril Mail. They'll also rarely drop Bioblasters.

For the armor, we get 499 EXP and 296 Gil, and with the pipsqueaks, we get 115 EXP and 100 Gil.

After the fight, I check and see Nathan has almost mastered Ramuh.

And Leave is close to mastering Cait Sith.

Meanwhile, Remain has been sitting on a maxed out Siren for a minute. I'm waiting for Olivia to finish learning Cura, which has a rate of x1, so it's going to be a little while before Cura is part of our repertoire.

Across this belt, we pick up the Thunder Blade. I probably should have given it to Remain, to increase his magic based Tools, or even to Nathan, to increase his magic effectiveness, but I didn't.

For, uh, reasons. Good reasons.

I'll elaborate later.

Hey, cool, a cure for any status effect. :toot:

We'll be back for you, little treasure chest.

Hey, a Magitek suit. Looks like this is where those are made.

Ooh, Dragoon Boots!

Remain is our Dragoon archetype for this game, along with someone later, so the Dragoon Boots are a good fit for him. Just about everyone can equip them, and it changes their attack command to Jump.

Since Remain has a spear equipped, it'll deal double the damage, instead of the usual 1.5x boost.

This area looks kind of samey all around, and for a second, I had no idea where the hell I was.

Oh, right, finding a Golden Shield.

:krakentoot:

We'll pop through this lower door and keep exploring.

Did you click that music link? No? Goddammit, go back and click it, you rat bastard.

It's good poo poo. If I ever worked in a factory where I could play my music, I'd constantly have that piping into my ears.

But I would not pitch a tent in there. No way.

Oh, hey, that has two meanings. :buddy:

Yeah, I missed that at first.

Just pretend we hopped over the railing to grab the Golden Helm.

Which is something that I'm not going to be wearing. The Evasion and small HP boost is really nice, since that's basically another 10% chance to dodge a physical attack.

Either way, all that down there was just a little side area.

As is this.

I'd like to point out that I did miss the Icebrand and Golden Armor in here, since I'm not very good at this LP'ing thing. If I remember right, look to your right; you can see the pipe I should have entered. :doh:

Okay, let's continue.

This is new, different, so maybe--

Who did we spot?

Well, now, there's no way that Kefka doesn't know we're here.

Kefka laughs a loving bunch during this little scene.

He's also just talking to himself. Which doesn't surprise me; I can't imagine that Kefka has a lot of people who are willing to have a chat with him.

...Who?

He laughs like, four times in a row then. It's a little ridiculous.

...Uh, 'kay. What's with the dead espers over there?

And then he throws both into the trash.

You would think that there would be a better procedure to disposing of drained Espers.

I mean, you'd think there would at least be a waste unit to dump them into, which leads directly to some sort of incinerator or acid bath.

Whatever, let's go check that poo poo out. We know they're not fully dead yet, since they're not Magicite.

And there's probably no way this can go wrong.

...Just how many dead espers are down here?

That door there leads to a save point.

When we approach that esper, we get blown back in a fiery flash.

Which means that we're going to have to kick his rear end.

:ducksiren:If you want to see the fight and some of my various mistakes, click here!:ducksiren:

We start this fight against Ifrit. If you'll recall his appearance from other Final Fantasy games, Ifrit is a fire guy.

As such, he's going to light your rear end on fire.

Not a ton of damage, but that's still hitting the entire party.

Remain leaps off to the sky, but this is a mistake, and not only because Ifrit has the same high physical defense the other enemies around here do.

He's only weak to Ice. Lightning, Poison, Wind, Holy, Earth, Water won't do anything to him. He also absorbs Fire, but that's probably obvious.

However, he only has 3,300 HP to work with.

And you can't steal anything from him.

It's a scary and disappointing moment when your Aura Cannon has failed you.

Blaze is a motherfucker of an attack.

Though, I suppose it kept me from wasting the MP on this.

Now, this looks pretty metal, what with the King raining down on a monstrous hellbeast, jamming a spear directly into his brain.

But the Trident is water based, so this doesn't do poo poo.

Now, while it might look like that Ifrit is being taken over by the Venom symbiote, he's just popping out of the battle.

And bringing Shiva in. She's like Ifrit, but weak to Fire, absorbs Ice, and has 3,000 HP.

She has Snowstorm as her gently caress you magic attack, but Blizzara can do a good job of it, too.

Which freezes the target in a big block of ice.

And I suppose that would hurt like hell, but I don't know, since I've never been suddenly frozen.

Shiva is at a marked disadvantage from Ifrit, since she's weak to Fire. Both Remain and Leave have access to Fire, but I never had Remain cast it.

Someone who just kicked the poo poo out of two Espers.

...Two Espers that were drained, granted, but you zip it with your dissent.

Ah, he must mean Leave, who can throw fire around with the best of 'em.

Oh, the old guy.

We're...Espers.

He didn't have a lot of other choices at that time.

It probably didn't help when we beat you up, did it?

Where the hell is Gestahl finding all of these Espers?

I honestly like to imagine Ifrit breaking out of one of those capsules like a late-game Resident Evil monster. I know that's not even close to what happened, but it's a fun image.

...It's too bad that I no longer have people drawing fan art in my threads. :(

...If you're siblings, why are you an old man, a blue chick, and a demonic monster? What sort of Hills Have Eyes family do you have?

Lookit that, two new pieces of Magicite.

I'm sure they will lend you their strength as well...

And so, we pick up Ifrit and Shiva in Magicite form.

Shiva teaches ice magic, as well as two spells to gently caress with enemy MP, and the basic healing spell, but without a stat boost at level up.

Ifrit teaches the first two fire spells, as well as Drain (who the gently caress uses that?), and a +1 Strength at level up.

But for now, let's take a break. This update has taken some time, so let's rest.

And gently caress it, we'll run around as Nathan for the next little bit. Why not?

Stay tuned!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Devil's Lab is the best track. Great update!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm honestly not a fan of this dungeon. I think it would be more interesting if the battles consisted of more than "2 all target magic attacks and you're done!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's an interesting gimmick, suddenly making all of your physical attacks nearly worthless. Not exactly a *fun* gimmick, but yeah

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
An update? Awesome!

So the Empire's super-weapon Guardian is tougher than expected. Why am I not surprised?

Hard to convey in a screenshot LP, but the Magitek Factory is a super annoying dungeon with all its tubes and conveyors. I was so glad when I got out of there, and not just because of the many rewards.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm honestly not a fan of this dungeon. I think it would be more interesting if the battles consisted of more than "2 all target magic attacks and you're done!"
It has the feel of a non-explicit tutorial.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I never actually noticed tbh, probably because of what Leave said about blitzes and tools.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This always marked the end of the beginning of the game to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DayoDayo
Apr 23, 2016

Shiva just looks so majestic! She does kick some major butt. Would not want to put up a fight with her...

• Locked thread