Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

PerrineClostermann posted:

"Please follow these steps to trigger a controlled burn of your Note 7"

Step 1: Power device on

End of instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

RZA Encryption posted:

They could recoup some of the costs by selling tickets to regional destruction events. "Donors" get free tickets of course.

I was just going to post this. Maybe this November at the local polling stations we can have Samsung burning rituals. Talk about that for entertainment

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

LastInLine posted:

As for what root gets you, the answers remain the same. Ad blocking, real backup, and cosmetic fuckery. The first is important to me, the second is very convenient to me but I could probably lose and still be okay with, and the third is something not worth the effort.

I know Google is sold out but just buy it from them. They have better customer service should you need something down the line. Waiting a month will not kill you.

Yeah. I'm just impatient and don't want to go back to the note 3 again. But is what it is. Their protection plan is significantly cheaper than Verizons and it makes more long term sense I guess. But thats why I ask you folks who know a ton more about this then I. Glad to know I can do those things with a unlocked phone.

Granted i hope Google doesn't have a month wait for their own phone. That would be absurdly long in this day and age.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Moochewmoo posted:

Granted i hope Google doesn't have a month wait for their own phone. That would be absurdly long in this day and age.

It's crazy that they don't just keep taking preorders but giving a further date. People want to give you money. Just take it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's crazy that they don't just keep taking preorders but giving a further date. People want to give you money. Just take it.

I like that they have not improved at all at selling phones since the Nexus One.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Do not taunt the Samsung Note 7.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Or what? What is it going to do? Give me a sick burn? Have a meltdown? gently caress 'em.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

Or what? What is it going to do? Give me a sick burn? Have a meltdown? gently caress 'em.

Kids these days.

http://www.dirtybutton.com/videos/780-happy-fun-ball/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Do not taunt the Samsung Note 7.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a quick way to flash a Verizon Samsung Edge 7 into a Tmobile one? The phone is unlocked but Verizon has a ton of shitware and it shuts off the data when on a phone call when using the Tmobile SIM.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I've got a couple hot takes here:

Nexus 6P is a Good Phone
Android 7.0 Nougat is a Good OS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well the floor for good Android phone is "doesn't explode with regular use" so

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Well the floor for good Android phone is "doesn't explode with regular use" so

Funny you should mention that! What's that on the coffee table?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

If Samsung Note7 begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

XYZ posted:

If Samsung Note7 begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

I've got my gas mask on standby.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LastInLine posted:

I like that they have not improved at all at selling phones since the Nexus One.

My launch day Nexus 4 agrees.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
So coming from the nexus 6 should I go for the 6p or xl pixel? I don't really wanna drop $700+ on a phone but I guess it'll last me a good few years. All I know is that I'm never buying a phone through at&t again. Such a ripoff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

nimper posted:

Funny you should mention that! What's that on the coffee table?

The thing with all the numbers there? :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweLvzFPrAM&t=13s

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

XYZ posted:

Hit it against desk to extinguish it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Hit it against desk to extinguish it.
That's the old generation of Android, we blow on things now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So coming from the nexus 6 should I go for the 6p or xl pixel? I don't really wanna drop $700+ on a phone but I guess it'll last me a good few years. All I know is that I'm never buying a phone through at&t again. Such a ripoff.

6p in mint condition are $330 on eBay right now, that's the better value.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is why handing off the new Mission Impossible movie's advertising to Samsung was a terrible idea. The whole self destruct thing doesn't work if the god drat thing doesn't give you a 5 second warning.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just catching up on (WWE) Smackdown from Tuesday night and Mauro Ranallo just described something as 'hotter than a Samsung Note 7'

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

1-Up posted:

Yes, anything you are wonering about? (I'll write more when I'm home).

Can you post some pics with your Honor 8? Especially low-light/indoor shots.
And do you know if the screen recording feature works when streaming apps are playing? I think it would be a great little .gif maker if so.
That blue model just looks sooo good.
The only thing holding me back is the lack of a QHD display, since I have this belief I might actually want to try VR/360 video at some point.

And how is bluetooth connectivity? I don't use wired headphones (at work) anymore.
My Nexus 5 can barely handle 3' if it isn't in the open air. Merely sticking it in my pants/coat pocket the wrong way, or even turning my head away can make it cut out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 14, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shannow posted:

So um.. any idea how to hunt down whatever the gently caress is causing an alert sound? It's not giving me any notifications and seems to happen at completely random intervals. I've tried the Notification History app but it doesn't seem to see where it's coming from. I've been trawling app settings pages for the better part of 3 hours now.

By any chance does it happen if you put your phone somewhere near a credit/debit card? That would be a sound indicating an NFC connection. Used to drive me nuts when I put my phone near my wallet. But then my card got replaced with one that didn't have NFC.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I'm one of the retards still using my Note 7 but I honestly can't find a new phone that I like. Pixel looks alright but I have lovely Sprint, which I don't know if they will support it, and who knows when it will actually be available.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kizurue posted:

I'm one of the retards still using my Note 7 but I honestly can't find a new phone that I like. Pixel looks alright but I have lovely Sprint, which I don't know if they will support it, and who knows when it will actually be available.

I was in your situation and ended up with a Nexus 6P. See my post above for how I feel about it. You might have to fight a store rep for a sim card but it'll be fine.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Shannow posted:

So um.. any idea how to hunt down whatever the gently caress is causing an alert sound? It's not giving me any notifications and seems to happen at completely random intervals. I've tried the Notification History app but it doesn't seem to see where it's coming from. I've been trawling app settings pages for the better part of 3 hours now.

Could it be that it's picking up an NFC enabled card in your wallet?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Shannow posted:

Mine's been making alerts without notifications when my WiFi connection cuts out sometimes.

Sir Lemming posted:

By any chance does it happen if you put your phone somewhere near a credit/debit card? That would be a sound indicating an NFC connection. Used to drive me nuts when I put my phone near my wallet. But then my card got replaced with one that didn't have NFC.

That freaked me the gently caress out the first time it happened.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What are some reasonable upgrades to the Nexus 6

The honor 8 looks interesting

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Nexus 6P, Pixel XL.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ZenVulgarity posted:

The honor 8 looks interesting

I know another huawei phone you can buy

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a quick way to flash a Verizon Samsung Edge 7 into a Tmobile one? The phone is unlocked but Verizon has a ton of shitware and it shuts off the data when on a phone call when using the Tmobile SIM.
I'm not sure you can flash the T-Mobile firmware on to the Verizon version, but you can flash the unlocked SM935-U firmware on it, which might help. (Just use Part 1 of that guide and ignore the rest of the rooting and Xposed poo poo. There's also a newer version of the U firmware than the one they link to.)

Skarsnik posted:

Just catching up on (WWE) Smackdown from Tuesday night and Mauro Ranallo just described something as 'hotter than a Samsung Note 7'
With Mauro it would be weirder if he didn't mention it tbh

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Tunga posted:

Nexus 6P, Pixel XL.

I kinda don't want to spend the amount of a pixel. The Nexus 6p is more of my price range.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ZenVulgarity posted:

I kinda don't want to spend the amount of a pixel. The Nexus 6p is more of my price range.

Yes, excellent. If you're in the US you can order it through Google Fi and get it cheaper.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

nimper posted:

Yes, excellent. If you're in the US you can order it through Google Fi and get it cheaper.

Google Fi?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Google made a prepaid phone service leveraging Tmobile and Sprint. It's $10 each gig of data with unlimited talk/text. I think you can get the phone with a free vr headset if you get it through the Fi service and you're not locked into any commitments.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Zero VGS posted:

I think you can get the phone with a free vr headset if you get it through the Fi service

That's for the Pixel

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

Google made a prepaid phone service leveraging Tmobile and Sprint.

It also utilizes US Cellular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ZenVulgarity posted:

OnePlus 3, Nexus 6P, Axon 7, Honor 8.