Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I just got done watching the 2014 movie Whiplash. It was pretty good, and thought I know this wasn't the kind of movie it was going for, I wish that at the end fletcher had gotten some more comeuppance because god was he a massive rear end in a top hat. Hilarious to watch, but a complete rear end in a top hat and he really deserved to get hosed over more than he did.

They're both awful toxic egotistical assholes and will hopefully be very happy together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Somewhat gaming related, I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of Westworld and it's kind of amazing that HBO is making a prestige drama that's basically about the NPCs in an open world game becoming aware of how awful their existences are. It even has quest-givers getting brushed aside by experienced players and recycled assets and a high-level powergamer loving around with the game to try and find hidden content. The second episode even has a tutorial segment and people rolling into the beginner town on a train after they finish customizing their character.

Yeah. Being able to turn to my roommate and point out that a bunch of the characters are just questgiver NPCs was a pretty "the writers get Westworld and what it means in a modern context" moment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The more I play Stardew Valley, the more I realize that whenever I give in and get Factorio I'll be screwed again - it's horribly horribly addicting to grab chicken eggs, turn them into mayo, and turn 'em into cash and that's just the simplest possible production chain. Setting up an automated system that does all of the above......

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Snak posted:

Yeah. Being able to turn to my roommate and point out that a bunch of the characters are just questgiver NPCs was a pretty "the writers get Westworld and what it means in a modern context" moment.

im sure your roommate also loved this conversation right in the middle of the show

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

im sure your roommate also loved this conversation right in the middle of the show
It was a comment, not a conversation. Occasionally we make those during shows in our house...

We don't watch them in a movie theater...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Awesome! posted:

Lots of people make it a point to watch a show together every week and socialize over it, munching some popcorn and talking about the show. It's not hard to just talk when the show takes beats, particularly for something on one of the premium channels, and in this incredible age of On Demand viewing, you can even rewind if someone talks over one of the characters. It's fun!!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sounds horrible

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
watching something with your buddies in dead silence when not in a movie theater is kinda weird

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you wouldn't play a game without subtitles....would ya??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

watching something with your buddies in dead silence when not in a movie theater is kinda weird

Yeah, the idea of sitting in a room with my friends never speaking or interacting just sounds weird and depressing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I would be totally OK if actual games just let you pick a white hat or a black hat at character creation and that was the morality system.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lowest tier -- trying to be the MST3k robots in a loud, nasally nerd voice, laughing at one's own jokes and talking over the entire program.
low tier -- yelling "QUIET!! I'M TRYING TO WATCH!" whenever anyone so much as rustles in their seat

the tiers above that all involve some amount of polite conversation, bathroom breaks, and premium HBO-level snacks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would choose white hat, and also angel wings 👼

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Lizard Wizard posted:

How dare you question me on my birthday

Happy birthday.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

what if the white hat is goofy looking, but the black hat makes your avatar look wicked awesome, and smart?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the right choice is not always the easiest...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*whispering* the black hat gives you extra XP... if that farmer really NEEDED you to bring him the potion, he'd pay you all of his gold. take the black hat.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Bicyclops posted:

lowest tier -- trying to be the MST3k robots in a loud, nasally nerd voice, laughing at one's own jokes and talking over the entire program.
low tier -- yelling "QUIET!! I'M TRYING TO WATCH!" whenever anyone so much as rustles in their seat

the tiers above that all involve some amount of polite conversation, bathroom breaks, and premium HBO-level snacks

The worst is making somebody watch something you've already seen, then repeatedly rolling it back when they talk over something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

The worst is making somebody watch something you've already seen, then repeatedly rolling it back when they talk over something.

I am lucky to have never encountered this one. We'll stick it between the mst wannabie and the sound of silence insister.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

Same, I feel fairly confident in saying that I would not murder or rape any of the Westworld robots. Going on treasure hunts with crazy old robot prospectors and catching robot fish and going to robot fiestas sounds like it could be a lot of fun, though :yeah:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of, what is the button for continuing after I die like the scrub I am?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

Speaking of, what is the button for continuing after I die like the scrub I am?

I DON'T KNOW :smug:

e: it turns out it's 1. for some reason.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 14, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao, this joke rules.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont get why steam flips back and forth between allowing hotlinking on here and not, half the time i see broken images half the time i dont depending on the time of day

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Anemone posted:

Sounds to me like there's a fortune to be made in looking up skirts games then!

You're correct.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tried to guess what game it was before the store page loaded, I was correct.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm playing the Walking Dead video game and Kenny is the worst human being who ever lived.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kenny was the only good thing about the second one.

Or least bad thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kenny is my favorite character in TWD because they perfectly nailed the type of character that seamlessly flip flops between being a cool dude and a shitpile.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

Kenny was the only good thing about the second one.

Or least bad thing.

:/ thanks for the major spoilers to the story based game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

everyone dies but kenny

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe if you try extra hard to get him killed it'll work.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Kenny is Ada Wong in disguise (Duck is Jack Krauser)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

They're both awful toxic egotistical assholes and will hopefully be very happy together!

Agree to disagree, I think fletcher was definitely worse and got off much easier and it was his behavior that caused neiman's issues to get more and more exacerbated and it was really sad seeing someone as toxic and caustic as fletcher abusing neiman like that, even if jk simmons' delivery and portrayal was funny, and I kinda wished that there was *some* kind of karmic retribution

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone on Reddit is arguing that The Witcher 3 is more of an adventure game than an RPG and doesn't really have any RPG elements.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hate that "RPG" in modern parlance means "lots of stats" and nothing else. Not annoyance. Irrational hatred.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's dumb anyway because The Witcher 3 has lots of stats

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

Someone on Reddit is arguing that The Witcher 3 is more of an adventure game than an RPG and doesn't really have any RPG elements.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hate that "RPG" in modern parlance means "lots of stats" and nothing else. Not annoyance. Irrational hatred.
Yeah, we never really found a more precise word for the progression/stat heavy RPGs, though the actiony ones get called ARPGs I guess. That can make it tricky when you're looking for the heavier stuff too, unless it falls into a category like SRPG or something

And yeah good point there's still a lot of progression in Witcher 3 so the distinction is still difficult even then

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Witcher 3 has lots of stats though...

e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
only witcher stats that matter are my w/l stats for gwent

• Locked thread