Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Mendrian posted:

I think we have more to fear from the right going more libertarian/objectivist than somehow trying to usurp the left's talking points. I could see Paul Ryan going full Rand and garnering a lot of support that way. A secular right without an obvious racist leaning could actually be a force to be reckoned with if it could get its act together. I think it would still be stupid but I think a lot of Americans would be ready to eat the boostraps poo poo up with a spoon.

fucktheinternet.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lightning Knight posted:

You keep ignoring my point. That just makes Trump supporters more Trumpy. It doesn't gain them any new support. And there isn't enough support, that's strong enough, for them to even win an election, let alone mount a fascist revolution, and that's with nominal establishment support.

Of course, if they don't actually get any new voters they lose.

But the media had no problem covering Trump when he was being incredibly racist, spouting fascist rhetoric, and advocating for the forced deportation of 11 million people from the United States. Nor did their coverage really shift when he implied assassinating his opponent. What sunk Trump's status in the media was playing them like fools and laughing in their faces.

I just don't think having broadcast media support is all that important in today's world. If you can get it, great; I think they'd get nominal coverage and maybe the sort of coverage Trump got before he started messing with their egos. But in the end, it isn't necessary.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 14, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Of course, if they don't actually get any new voters they lose.

I just don't think having broadcast media support is all that important in today's world. We might differ on that assumption.

So as I said, they can't even win an election. They won't mount a fascist revolution. The worst would be a repeat of OKC, which would be tragic but not the death of the republic.

I think you greatly underestimate the power of the media to define the political discourse in America, trusted or not. If American fascists aren't militant, organized, or numerous enough to mount a self-sustaining revolution, they need the support of the monied elites and media to gain power. Remember, Hitler tried an armed revolt and failed. When he took power, it was because the establishment anointed him in a supposedly ceremonial government role and he was able to take over from within.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They've done a pretty good job of convincing the average Trump voter that Infowars is a good news source, so I don't know how much I'm willing to say they can't control a narrative absent an existing media structure like broadcast news.

You know, this brings up something else. What do you honestly do when ~40% of your population believes in conspiracies? Not just right slanted media or something, but outright, flat "this president is a gay terrorist lizzard, who's the antichrist and is plotting to destroy America with chemtrails!"

How the gently caress do you ever turn that around? Come back to normal? What the gently caress is going to happen as that keeps getting more and more ingrained? Just wait for them to die? Well that might work except all you have to do is look at the alt-right to see how that poo poo isn't falling off with a younger generation.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Under the financial data section of the paper, the analysis specifically points to the sort of person who has some economic status but is fearful of losing it.

Trump voters aren't guys working the drive thru at McDonald's, they're the guy who manages the McDonald's.
Yes. Fear in general is the basis of authoritarianism.

Although I think that all this analysis foregoes in general a very major factor, and that is how much Hillary is able to achieve. Because let's pretend for a moment that she manages to restore pork barrel spending, connecting it to green infrastructure. Obviously, each building and each piece of infrastructure repaired or built under this legislation should have a very large notice board on-site saying "this was done thanks to funds from (....)". In a generation or two, this might bring some effect in diminishing the fear of government.

Which is why this election is so really, really important.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lightning Knight posted:

So as I said, they can't even win an election. They won't mount a fascist revolution. The worst would be a repeat of OKC, which would be tragic but not the death of the republic.

I think you greatly underestimate the power of the media to define the political discourse in America, trusted or not. If American fascists aren't militant, organized, or numerous enough to mount a self-sustaining revolution, they need the support of the monied elites and media to gain power. Remember, Hitler tried an armed revolt and failed. When he took power, it was because the establishment anointed him in a supposedly ceremonial government role and he was able to take over from within.

I'm trying to avoid comparing this movement to the Nazi movement.

If you want to get a party with this sort of platform into power, you're confident you can do it. Why? Because no one rejected the platform outright when it was brought to light. That's the important bit in the whole equation.

The media was covering Trump as a serious candidate all through the process until he got lovely with them. If he never pulls his dumb press conference stunt, he'd be fine through the debates unless he immolated himself.

The rejection is not of the platform, the rejection is of the candidate.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

You've made a lot of dumb posts about history in the past couple pages but:

The actual best case scenario was that political will survived to see Reconstruction through. It didn't, sadly. All of the alternatives you've proposed would have been varying shades of disastrous.

Northerners by and large believed African Americans should have human rights but not civil rights. Moreover, a large part of their objection to the expansion of slavery was that slaves took up jobs that "more deserving" whites could have had.

Edit: The really hosed up thing about all this is that as much of a mess as America is, we're still somehow better prepared for multiculturalism than everyone else despite it all. As Europe losing their minds at the first blemish of non-white demographics is showing us.

If they would have given us a couple of states and couched it as "kicking us out" to the rest of America, we could have gave nary a gently caress about what rights white people felt like we should have had, as it would have been wholly irrelevant as a separate entity, which comically enough in 2016 in America we don't truly have human or civil rights as black people yet.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

meristem posted:

Yes. Fear in general is the basis of authoritarianism.

Although I think that all this analysis foregoes in general a very major factor, and that is how much Hillary is able to achieve. Because let's pretend for a moment that she manages to restore pork barrel spending, connecting it to green infrastructure. Obviously, each building and each piece of infrastructure repaired or built under this legislation should have a very large notice board on-site saying "this was done thanks to funds from (....)". In a generation or two, this might bring some effect in diminishing the fear of government.

Which is why this election is so really, really important.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Hillary getting the Republicans who control the house to bow to her will unless she's giving them something back in a big way. To do so is a really big assumption that flies in the face of the past 6 years of government.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

gfsincere posted:

On an unrelated note, is it illegal when interviewing someone for a job to ask who they voted for?

The answer is sometimes yes, it is illegal, and it is always a bad idea.

Assuming you're not joking:

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-you-should-never-ask-job-candidates-who-are-you-voting-for-2016-2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/off-limits-questions-job-interviews_n_7028050.html

https://www.vineresources.com/blog/2016/09/10-interview-questions-you-should-never-ask

If you still think it's OK, you really shouldn't be interviewing people even if you think your heart is in the right place or whatever.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, this brings up something else. What do you honestly do when ~40% of your population believes in conspiracies? Not just right slanted media or something, but outright, flat "this president is a gay terrorist lizzard, who's the antichrist and is plotting to destroy America with chemtrails!"

How the gently caress do you ever turn that around? Come back to normal? What the gently caress is going to happen as that keeps getting more and more ingrained? Just wait for them to die? Well that might work except all you have to do is look at the alt-right to see how that poo poo isn't falling off with a younger generation.

I dunno.

I'm loathe to suggest disenfranchisement of any group for any reason, but if your voters don't believe reality then how do you allow them to make decisions with effects in a reality they don't subscribe to? I'm scratching my head on this one.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I'm trying to avoid comparing this movement to the Nazi movement.

If you want to get a party with this sort of platform into power, you're confident you can do it. Why? Because no one rejected the platform outright when it was brought to light. That's the important bit in the whole equation.

The media was covering Trump as a serious candidate all through the process until he got lovely with them. If he never pulls his dumb press conference stunt, he'd be fine through the debates unless he immolated himself.

The rejection is not of the platform, the rejection is of the candidate.

Which represents a fundamental failure of for profit news media.

I mean, remember, at this point establishment conservatives are fascists with money to burn. Of course the platform is indistinguishable. Conversely, anybody the establishment will consider respectable enough to run will not command the fervent loyalty somebody like Trump does. It's their Catch 22.

Meanwhile, worry less about fascist revolts and more about the banal evil of a possible Republican president in 2020 or 2024, because that's a hell of a lot more likely.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lightning Knight posted:

Which represents a fundamental failure of for profit news media.

I mean, remember, at this point establishment conservatives are fascists with money to burn. Of course the platform is indistinguishable. Conversely, anybody the establishment will consider respectable enough to run will not command the fervent loyalty somebody like Trump does. It's their Catch 22.

Meanwhile, worry less about fascist revolts and more about the banal evil of a possible Republican president in 2020 or 2024, because that's a hell of a lot more likely.

I think the problem with this line of thinking is that you're assuming Republicans care about ideological purity in the face of winning.

Reince bent the knee. They don't give a drat running anyone they can get their hands on if the establishment thinks they have a shot at winning.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I'm not worried about either this hypothetical nationalist party, or a banal Republican president.

The thing I'm worried about is climate change and how that's going to effect my life in the future. Which is a lot bleaker thing, and a lot less fun to dwell on.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think the problem with this line of thinking is that you're assuming Republicans care about ideological purity in the face of winning.

Reince bent the knee. They don't give a drat running anyone they can get their hands on if the establishment thinks they have a shot at winning.

They didn't pick Trump, though. They wanted Jeb!, or Rubio. They worked with what they had once it was forced upon them, but they didn't just roll over and die. Or at least, they attempted and failed not to.

You're assuming the Republicans don't make rules to shut out future Trumps. Maybe they don't. Maybe they're that stupid. But I really rather doubt that. Republicans are evil, not stupid, and they do what they feel necessary to protect their power.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

They didn't pick Trump, though. They wanted Jeb!, or Rubio. They worked with what they had once it was forced upon them, but they didn't just roll over and die. Or at least, they attempted and failed not to.

You're assuming the Republicans don't make rules to shut out future Trumps. Maybe they don't. Maybe they're that stupid. But I really rather doubt that. Republicans are evil, not stupid, and they do what they feel necessary to protect their power.

Nah, I think they are pretty goddamn stupid if your solution to the Romney loss is Trump.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lightning Knight posted:

They had their shot to jump off the Trump Train and they stayed on. That pact was made with their voting bloc that they would stand behind their candidate, and if they go "Whoops, sorry!" when they get another candidate who doesn't fit their ideological biases they lose all credibility with their voting bloc and kill the Republican party over night.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

gfsincere posted:

If they would have given us a couple of states and couched it as "kicking us out" to the rest of America, we could have gave nary a gently caress about what rights white people felt like we should have had, as it would have been wholly irrelevant as a separate entity, which comically enough in 2016 in America we don't truly have human or civil rights as black people yet.

There's no universe in which an ethnic majority is going to kick their own kind out of territory they just took by force of military action and give it to an underclass they only barely consider to be people. And even if they did, it would almost certainly result in such a rump state being treated exploitatively at best. You're imagining some kind of land of opportunity, I'm telling you that even in the fantasy land where the basic assumption comes true it'd have just been a reservation.

And that's without even getting into issues like "why would a bunch of newly emancipated slaves having total control of some tiny rump state fare any better than the politically and economically integrated southern states did in actual history (read: not well, and for the most part still doing really poorly)?"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mendrian posted:

I think we have more to fear from the right going more libertarian/objectivist than somehow trying to usurp the left's talking points. I could see Paul Ryan going full Rand and garnering a lot of support that way. A secular right without an obvious racist leaning could actually be a force to be reckoned with if it could get its act together. I think it would still be stupid but I think a lot of Americans would be ready to eat the boostraps poo poo up with a spoon.
The GOP elite aren't libertarian - they use objectivist philosophy when it suits them to advance their agenda, but their agenda is actually corporate oligarchy. So right off the bat this plan fails to get the big donors and the people who historically (current events notwithstanding) have been at the helm of the GOP. Also, the Trump wing of the party doesn't give a flying gently caress about laissez-faire anything and to the extent they aren't fixated on racism they actually want a strong central government to solve all their problems for them. (For now, by deporting all the immigrants, but if that wears out they'll demand some other injustice in its place.) All that's left is some of the 'moderate' Republicans who might have some libertarian ideas but they're not really pure about it and it isn't enough to build a party around.

All the real libertarians in this country are already voting Libertarian and you see where that's got them.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Lightning Knight posted:

Republicans are evil, not stupid, and they do what they feel necessary to protect their power.

Debatable, really. They could have nipped this Trump poo poo in the bud if they had done even the most rudimentary oppo...or not ran a billion bozos who decided to take shots at each other and not the proto-fascist.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

lozzle posted:

Debatable, really. They could have nipped this Trump poo poo in the bud if they had done even the most rudimentary oppo...or not ran a billion bozos who decided to take shots at each other and not the proto-fascist.

The second part of this is a bit revisionist history.

I remember hearing from various people in my life who kind of had a handle on the pulse of the GOP that this was their strongest primary field ever. Sounds ridiculous now, but it was true at the time. The establishment had 6 bullets to take out Trump and figured that they'd hit with one of them, and in the process they torpedoed the political career of every legitimate candidate for 2020.

Except Kasich I guess, but the 'recently divorced father who goes to the zoo' bloc isn't very big.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:perfect:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

I know this was pages back, but:

quote:

It’s a zero sum game. If men get everything they want, women lose, and vice versa.

This explains so much if there are people who actually think everything is adversarial.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

Nah, I think they are pretty goddamn stupid if your solution to the Romney loss is Trump.

That wasn't their solution though. Jeb! was. Which is a fascinating decision that seems stupid, and perhaps is in the literal sense. But to me, it more reflects that they literally live in a completely different, evil reality where they really can just snap their fingers and make all of us sad plebs get down and kneel before them. Perhaps that and stupidity are only different in the academic sense, but I feel it's an important distinction because if they were stupid, they wouldn't learn from this. We shall see if that is the case.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They had their shot to jump off the Trump Train and they stayed on. That pact was made with their voting bloc that they would stand behind their candidate, and if they go "Whoops, sorry!" when they get another candidate who doesn't fit their ideological biases they lose all credibility with their voting bloc and kill the Republican party over night.

The entire Republican Party is based on double think and lies to accommodate clear stupidity and build alternate realities. You think Republicans won't just fall the gently caress in line when it comes down to it? Go look at the Freep thread, and see a bunch of sad fools who talk big games about how this or that primary challenger is the best and this other one is evil, but if the evil one wins they get behind them right quick.

The Republican Party dies when its base dies, not when they get wise. If they were capable of that, they wouldn't be Republicans.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lightning Knight posted:

That wasn't their solution though. Jeb! was. Which is a fascinating decision that seems stupid, and perhaps is in the literal sense. But to me, it more reflects that they literally live in a completely different, evil reality where they really can just snap their fingers and make all of us sad plebs get down and kneel before them. Perhaps that and stupidity are only different in the academic sense, but I feel it's an important distinction because if they were stupid, they wouldn't learn from this. We shall see if that is the case.

The entire Republican Party is based on double think and lies to accommodate clear stupidity and build alternate realities. You think Republicans won't just fall the gently caress in line when it comes down to it? Go look at the Freep thread, and see a bunch of sad fools who talk big games about how this or that primary challenger is the best and this other one is evil, but if the evil one wins they get behind them right quick.

The Republican Party dies when its base dies, not when they get wise. If they were capable of that, they wouldn't be Republicans.

I don't think that the establishment is driving the bus anymore, honestly. Which might be a little worrying, especially if Trump comes out of this as some kind of kingmaker with the power to sway the primary via his endorsement. Bit of a stretch, but he has a pretty crazy cult of personality going on around him right now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lozzle posted:

The did do oppo. They just are too evil and out of touch to be able to dig up poo poo like "Trump is a rapist pig," because that isn't a problem to them and it would require better skills with pleb stuff like "the Internet."

The primary was just the prisoners dilemma in action. They needed to have some drop out to give the others a fighting chance but they all wanted to be the last man standing and in the end it hosed them.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
By 2030 the center of gravity of American politics will have shifted left enough that any party trying to play at building some kind of right-wing big-tent coalition will be totally DOA. Either the GOP is going to die and be replaced by a more centrist party, or it's going to move to the center and push the Democrats further left, but either way two decades from now the "centrist" party winning the elections will look an awful lot like the Clinton-Bernie coalition we got out of the DNC this year. The political right will be populated by the sort of people who walk around college campuses with little pamphlets annoying the poo poo out of people trying to get to class, and little else.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kilroy posted:

By 2030 the center of gravity of American politics will have shifted left enough that any party trying to play at building some kind of right-wing big-tent coalition will be totally DOA. Either the GOP is going to die and be replaced by a more centrist party, or it's going to move to the center and push the Democrats further left, but either way two decades from now the "centrist" party winning the elections will look an awful lot like the Clinton-Bernie coalition we got out of the DNC this year. The political right will be populated by the sort of people who walk around college campuses with little pamphlets annoying the poo poo out of people trying to get to class, and little else.

I'm at the point where, in the face of the reality of what climate change is going to bring to us, I'm wary predicting anything more than four years out.

In the next 15-20 years we're going to have some political decisions to make that make us all very uncomfortable. If we're lucky that's all we get.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's no universe in which an ethnic majority is going to kick their own kind out of territory they just took by force of military action and give it to an underclass they only barely consider to be people. And even if they did, it would almost certainly result in such a rump state being treated exploitatively at best. You're imagining some kind of land of opportunity, I'm telling you that even in the fantasy land where the basic assumption comes true it'd have just been a reservation.

And that's without even getting into issues like "why would a bunch of newly emancipated slaves having total control of some tiny rump state fare any better than the politically and economically integrated southern states did in actual history (read: not well, and for the most part still doing really poorly)?"

Probably the same way black people did well economically without any rights, capital, and dealing with massive racism until jealous white people burned all their poo poo down in 1919 like in Tulsa.

Just saying.

Ever think the southerners couldn't get poo poo going because *surprise* other people had been doing the work the whole time, and maybe the people who were forced to work 14-18 hours a day maybe had a bit better work ethic than those that weren't forced to do that?

40 acres and a mule times 6 million people is 240 million acres. That's a whole lot of land if the government had of gone through with that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't think that the establishment is driving the bus anymore, honestly. Which might be a little worrying, especially if Trump comes out of this as some kind of kingmaker with the power to sway the primary via his endorsement. Bit of a stretch, but he has a pretty crazy cult of personality going on around him right now.

Bleh. The stink of loser will strangle Trump's cult of personality soon enough, and he's only really in it for the money and the fame. He'll slink off like Palin and move on to the next big thing and they'll vote David Duke to be the nominee instead of Cruz in 2020.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lightning Knight posted:

Bleh. The stink of loser will strangle Trump's cult of personality soon enough, and he's only really in it for the money and the fame. He'll slink off like Palin and move on to the next big thing and they'll vote David Duke to be the nominee instead of Cruz in 2020.

I hope he does, but that seems really unlike the person he's demonstrated himself to be so far.

Honestly I wish he'd grab Newt and on the day he loses get in Obama's rocket and go to Mars so I never have to hear his voice, see his face, or watch him do that stupid thing with his hand when he talks ever again.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

gfsincere posted:

40 acres and a mule times 6 million people is 240 million acres. That's a whole lot of land if the government had of gone through with that.

Yep! It's (*edit, rechecked math) between Texas and Alaska. Or Texas and Colorado.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

Probably the same way black people did well economically without any rights, capital, and dealing with massive racism until jealous white people burned all their poo poo down in 1919 like in Tulsa.

Just saying.

Ever think the southerners couldn't get poo poo going because *surprise* other people had been doing the work the whole time, and maybe the people who were forced to work 14-18 hours a day maybe had a bit better work ethic than those that weren't forced to do that?

I would posit that black people were successful because they were operating within the framework of the US economy in a place that needed to be rebuilt in part using US Government resources after the war. In your scenario, no US money is going to rebuild the new black state, and trade relations would be abysmal with who knows how many revanchist whites demanding war to retake the land. I would imagine something closer to Haiti than a black revival, remembering that Haiti failed because of white anomosity as well.

Even in the fantasy framework you've laid out, which I accept for the sake of a thought experiment, you'd have to change so many things in relation to reality that it would stop being a useful model of hypothetically plausible counterfactuals.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

gfsincere posted:

Just saying.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Cracked is going to make a follow up to this, or if it's even really possible to do so and it still remain comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qIQbydyHwc

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lightning Knight posted:

The cult that Palin got rolling is what gave rise to Trump. The GOP will eventually have to reckon with the filth they've created but if they survive this election as anything short of a lungshot rump party shredded by an internal civil war then they'll come out of it thinking it was all about the messaging.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Speaking of climate change, I think that the specter of Mexico losing a good portion of its arable land plays into the whole nationalist idea. Who knows how much of an impact it will play, but you can't deny one thing.

It's easy to assimilate 500,000 or 1,000,000 immigrants a year into your culture. It's very different trying to assimilate 5,000,000+ immigrants a year into your culture, as Europe is finding out now.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The second part of this is a bit revisionist history.

I remember hearing from various people in my life who kind of had a handle on the pulse of the GOP that this was their strongest primary field ever. Sounds ridiculous now, but it was true at the time. The establishment had 6 bullets to take out Trump and figured that they'd hit with one of them, and in the process they torpedoed the political career of every legitimate candidate for 2020.

Except Kasich I guess, but the 'recently divorced father who goes to the zoo' bloc isn't very big.
I think the various people in your life who have a "handle on the pulse" of the GOP are kind of deluded morons. Trump won the primary because he's the one who excited the base the most - simple as that. Your friends sound like 'moderate' Republicans (i.e. the Mike Pences and John Kasichs of the world) who are still in denial at how many unabashed racists there are in their party.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

I would posit that black people were successful because they were operating within the framework of the US economy in a place that needed to be rebuilt in part using US Government resources after the war. In your scenario, no US money is going to rebuild the new black state, and trade relations would be abysmal with who knows how many revanchist whites demanding war to retake the land. I would imagine something closer to Haiti than a black revival, remembering that Haiti failed because of white anomosity as well.

Even in the fantasy framework you've laid out, which I accept for the sake of a thought experiment, you're have to change so many things in relation to reality that it would stop being a useful model of hypothetically plausible counterfactuals.

Haiti is Haiti for a variety of reasons, White animosity being at the top of the list, but also they have no base goods. The south is still agriculturally rich, and can still grow things, base goods. Haiti doesn't have that in the least. On top of trade ports, etc etc and not being completely locked out of international markets like Haiti was, I think we would have been a lot better off than Haiti.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FAUXTON posted:

The cult that Palin got rolling is what gave rise to Trump. The GOP will eventually have to reckon with the filth they've created but if they survive this election as anything short of a lungshot rump party shredded by an internal civil war then they'll come out of it thinking it was all about the messaging.

That's true enough. But Palin herself is irrelevant now. Likewise, Trump may pave the way for the next demogogue, but he himself won't matter in four years, me thinks.

Of course they will. They're completely out of touch with normal people's reality. These are the same chucklefucks who bet $10,000 over primary results like I'd bet you a can of beer over a game of pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

By 2030 I think a good chunk of millennials would have turned reactionary in a snub to their kids about "how hard they had it" and also "back in the day I was liberal and it didn't work". Meanwhile, Trump being only a symptom in all of this means that we're just one or two bad elections away from rise of right wing authoritarian governments not seen since the 1920s.

• Locked thread