Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Me (20f) with (36m). He has a daughter around my age and it turns me off?

quote:

Met this guy online dating. We immediately hit it off. Most of the people I match with online my own age the conversation is boring or they just immediately try to get into my pants.
I've always been attracted to men significantly older than me but have never actually been with one. He's good looking, smart, etc. He even offered to pick me up and drive me to work so I didn't have to catch the bus. Which I thought was so nice even though I declined.
Anyway, we exchanged numbers. The conversations have been great. He calls me beautiful. And I really wanted to take him up on the date he offered. Until I find out this one thing, he has an 18 yr old daughter.
Now I have nothing against kids or men with kids. If his daughter was younger I'm not even sure it would bother me. But the fact that she's so close to my age, kind of grosses me out. Like he's basically trying to get with someone (me) who is his daughters age.
Basically what I want to know is am I being stupid about this? Should I go on the date and pursue this or just bow out?
tl;dr; Met an older guy online dating. It turns me off that he has a daughter my age. What do I do?

So I like older guys but I don't want guys with lots the experiences and outcomes of living so many years before me. This guy seems like a keeper because he offered to give me a ride. We also haven't met. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

WampaLord posted:

My roommate [25M] pretends he's British to pick up girls. I [22F] let his little "secret" out and now he's pissed and claiming I broke some sort of weird code.

Oi mate, ya done broken the Bro Code, ya tosser!

It's this guy's own fault for half assing his grift. If you want to convince people you're British for anything other than a one night stand, you're just going to have to commit to convincing everyone that you're British so the secret doesn't get out.

Seriously though that dude's a creep and she should probably blow up his spot every time he brings a girl back

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

loquacius posted:

Me [Bob Saget/M] with my kids [15/M, 17/F], I just spent literal years telling them about all the one-night stands I had before meeting their mom [dead/F] and then glossed over the entire marriage in about ten seconds and now they're encouraging me to go hook up with my ex [Canada/F] who they've known since birth and call "Aunt Robin", my issue is that apparently nobody involved sees a problem with any of this, wtf

they use the word "bro" liberally. what are you expecting?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

GUESS THE AGE!

My [28f] boyfriend's [31m] female friend refers to me as "borderline retarded", and said my gene pool "should end with me".

In her awful, abusive boyfriend's defense there is a serious degree of stupidity going on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

Me [Bob Saget/M] with my kids [15/M, 17/F], I just spent literal years telling them about all the one-night stands I had before meeting their mom [dead/F] and then glossed over the entire marriage in about ten seconds and now they're encouraging me to go hook up with my ex [Canada/F] who they've known since birth and call "Aunt Robin", my issue is that apparently nobody involved sees a problem with any of this, wtf

:sever:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dial-a-Dog posted:

It's this guy's own fault for half assing his grift. If you want to convince people you're British for anything other than a one night stand, you're just going to have to commit to convincing everyone that you're British so the secret doesn't get out.

Seriously though that dude's a creep and she should probably blow up his spot every time he brings a girl back

I would love to see what happens if he actually meets a British chick. (I can confirm as an actual British person who lived in the US for years that the accent does get you hella laid, mind you...)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Lockback posted:

I was going to ask how old she was when her dad abandoned her, but it turns out she hasn't even dove face first into a terrible relationship with this guy yet, what's even the issue? I met this guy and some (unchangeable) aspect of his life turns me off completely, what to do, should I date him anyway?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I would love to see what happens if he actually meets a British chick. (I can confirm as an actual British person who lived in the US for years that the accent does get you hella laid, mind you...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIXHcOjJpxY

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

bone app the teeth posted:

they use the word "bro" liberally. what are you expecting?

they at least got self-aware about it right near the end, it's a pity the last season was still the worst one somehow

feedmegin posted:

I saw an ad for Las Vegas tourism on the London underground that very heavily implied it would and it squicked me the gently caress out

e:

man, that movie was super weird about America (also Portugal but America came up more)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

loquacius posted:

I saw an ad for Las Vegas tourism on the London underground that very heavily implied it would and it squicked me the gently caress out
Does it work the other way around? I don't care personally because I'm never going to the UK, but I'm curious. All the US cultural exports must make US accents sound humdrum, and even if not American English sounds like a barking dog who dropped out of German II.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

man, that movie was super weird about America (also Portugal but America came up more)

It came out pretty shortly after 9/11, I can't blame it too much. In fact, the whole movie is ~problematic~ in a lot of ways, but I still really like it.

The subplot with Keira Knightly and the dude who Nice Guys his way into getting a kiss from her is super hosed, for example.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This outlines most of the problems supported by evidence directly from the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giq7KdN4X-Y

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Does it work the other way around? I don't care personally because I'm never going to the UK, but I'm curious. All the US cultural exports must make US accents sound humdrum, and even if not American English sounds like a barking dog who dropped out of German II.

I've been to the UK once, and every time I talked to someone outside a Designated Tourist Zone they looked at me like I had six eyes. It was super weird. I was already engaged at the time so I can't really speak to using it On The Prowl or whatever but people who weren't used to talking to foreigners all the time sure didn't seem happy to see me.

It was kinda like being American was some sort of political argument on my part that they didn't feel like having at the moment, I think is the best way of summing it up. I also went to Amsterdam on that trip and they were way nicer, perhaps because the entire city is a Designated Tourist Zone.

e: that said London did rule and I want to go back, it was like if Boston was the size of New York and was mashed up with DC

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 14, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I was going to ask how old she was when her dad abandoned her, but it turns out she hasn't even dove face first into a terrible relationship with this guy yet, what's even the issue? I met this guy and some (unchangeable) aspect of his life turns me off completely, what to do, should I date him anyway?

If you did not read the comments then you have correctly predicted that she does not have a dad.

quote:

I think finding out his daughters age just emphasized our age difference to me. I don't have a dad but if I did and he started dating someone just 2 yrs younger than me. I'd be creeped out.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Visited a goon friend in the UK for 2 weeks, can confirm American accent is not a turn on.

Unless you got the southern thing going for you, but that's a fine line between "plantation gentleman" and "hick"

Lockback posted:

I wonder how the daughter feels about daddy chasing girls her age. It's one thing to randomly pick up a chick at a bar or whatever and find out she's way younger... but to actively go after one through a dating site, that's next level poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, mostly, no, if you're talking about a generic American accent. A Deep South type accent can work pretty well though, going for that whole Gone with the Wind thing I guess.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

no, we hate americans in england. all foriengers in fact now

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JFairfax posted:

no, we hate americans in england. all foriengers in fact now

Um you live in Chicago now, you're no longer in a position to say things like that, immigrant :colbert:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Lockback posted:

If you did not read the comments then you have correctly predicted that she does not have a dad.

I did not, but lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hahah, she didn't have a Dad and then was mad that her surrogate dad / lover had a daughter already.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It's so weird how every time a woman dates a guy old enough to be her dad, she has daddy issues. It's pretty much a given, and it's weird that humans are so predictable.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DOMDOM posted:

Visited a goon friend in the UK for 2 weeks, can confirm American accent is not a turn on.

Unless you got the southern thing going for you, but that's a fine line between "plantation gentleman" and "hick"

I wonder how the daughter feels about daddy chasing girls her age. It's one thing to randomly pick up a chick at a bar or whatever and find out she's way younger... but to actively go after one through a dating site, that's next level poo poo.

He was 18 when his daughter was born so I'm guessing he a "I get older, they stay the same age" kinda guy,

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Meridian posted:

Over his wife not wanting to go to a Halloween party at a sex club. GOTTA MAINTAIN FRAME. Whatever the gently caress that means.

I also follow the GBS China thread, so I mentally replace the word "frame" with "face". Human interactions with Chinese characteristics, I guess.

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.

Kehveli posted:

Only if recovering addicts count. But really it's one of those things where the people living that lifestyle who aren't insufferable never enter your radar because they don't feel the need to get up in your face with it constantly.

of course there's a difference between being someone who doesn't drink/etc and being someone who's XSTRAIGHTEDGEX

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I dare you to try to read this start to finish

I [F24] with my bf[29M] for a year,how do I make it alright???

quote:

I've lied to my bf a couple of times, and the one thing he hates is LIARS.. Anyway what happened is, in the beginning of our relationship.. I started talking to a guy who liked me but I did not like him at all. I just talked to him because he kept running after me for like a month. Later he insisted and gave me birthday presents that I threw away because I felt guilt and bad for even taking them, so I decided I'll pay him money as soon as I got a chance but he left that work place and I did too so I couldn't get a chance.

I told that guy that I'm not interested at all and it's leading on to somewhere I don't want it to EVER. He said it's not leading on when I like you even if you talk to me or not. I stopped talking to that guy. Only talked to him for a month or so.

I told my bf about him but didn't mention gifts or talking that much... let me just mention we never really met. Not even along with friends, alone NEVER! I never said to him that I liked him and I NEVER said anything inappropriate to him or he ever said any such thing to me ever. We'd just talk about work related stuff and his family issues etc.

Okay so 2,3 months later another guy from work texted me who just saw me once, he only came for some advertising poo poo idk... and got my number from a card. Okay so he texted but after some introduction I told him that I have someone so it's better he stop texting me. And he did. I told my bf about it.

After a month that guy texted again saying he'd like to hangout along with my friends as he doesn't have any. I said he can find plenty other people but I don't want to hangout or talk to him because it's cheating to me and my bf doesn't approve it so.. he should stop bothering me. This time I didn't tell my bf...

After 3 weeks that guy texted again and as I went out of chat my bf asked who am I texting. I tried to hide and lied but he found out.... and we had a fight over it. He was really upset about it and told me to tell him EVER that ever happens.

Now almost 6 months later, I got a chance to call that first guy and ask for his account number so I could send him money... no bad intentions only for my own peace of mind and to get rid of that guilt. BUT my bf found out. He asked me and I lied at first but then I had to tell him. Now he's really really upset and says I shouldn't have led him on back in that time.

He's not believing anything and not ready to accept anything, tho he's my FIRST TRUE LOVE...:( but idk he's having so many thoughts about so many things now since I lied to him. I really feel bad for hurting him. I have apologised and I'm ready to give up anything for him. What should I do? How do I make him understand? To me it wasn't cheating but to him it is... idk what to do!!

tl;dr lied to my bf a couple of times, he's really hurt want to make things right...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
that would make more sense if you subtracted 5-10 years from their ages

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

Me [23 M] with my so [22 F] of 3 years, so is talking very inappropriately with other guys, not sure where to go from here.

I've been noticing some weird behavior from my so and I'm looking for advice and some perspective. Its also hard because we live and work together.

About a month ago, I found out my gf had an OKCupid account, I had asked her to delete it. She told me that she has it to meet friends. I'm not sure if there is some setting to only meet friends, but i noticed that it was left on a page with guys and their percentage match with her. About a month after I found the app was still on her phone. I'm not a snooper, but I occasionally just open her phone to read reddit or something while mine is charging. I confronted her about it and she deleted it in front of me and says she deactivated her account.

About 3 months ago, while she is out bowling with friends, I got a little worried because she isn't responding to me. I open her laptop, and on imessage, I see she is talking really sweetly with a guy. Yes, I invaded her privacy, not good, but I do not like what I am seeing here. I confront her over the phone, she denies everything. When she gets home, keeps denying everything until I ask for her phone and to explain all this to me. Messages include i love yous, i miss you, pictures to each other (no nudes, just selfies), and the ugliest one: she told him "im horny right now". Looking through the messages, this guy knows she is in a relationship, and has suggested her to find her own apartment when she tells him she is frustrated with my messiness. They also met up at the bowling place. She tells she was there with friends and was staying at a friends house before going to the bowling alley. I looked at the location data, and it not any friends house I recognize. She explained it was her friend Kim's house. In a previous snooping episode, it was the place she went to for a sleepover. I get anxious when she's not with me or stays the night somewhere else, once, without letting me know she was going to spent the night. Back to the messages, after much frustration, I ask her to tell her just tell the guy to never talk to her again and block his number and i will wholeheartedly forgive her. She cried for this guy. She gave me some bs about her being polyamorous, which I will absolutely not accept in our relationship.

About a month later, while just noticing out of the corner of eye, a "kim" is messaging her. While snooping, I find out its the same guy and she walks away when I confront her, I dont chase after her. I did find a message where he say i love you to her, but did not see any of her saying it back, but again, it was just a topical snoop, no looking into back history. I decide to go to the park and run. I ask where she is and refuses to tell me. After a while she tells me where she is, but she is not there. I tell her i want her to rip this guy's heart by saying some really mean things, including to say that she led him on for our amusement so he can leave us alone. I'm not with her when she claims she did this. She offers no proof, deleted her text logs and says I just have to trust her that that she told him the mean things over the phone. When I do pick her up, she is near one of her ex's house who she is still friends with (but i'm OK with that friendship as she has explained that she didn't love him anymore and they have many mutual friends). I am not sure if she visited him. I have explained that this guy she is talking to knows we are together, is disrespecting our relationship by flirting with her and it sickens me for her to talk to another person the way she talks with him. We stay together, but I have very little trust for her now.

Last night, as she is about to go to a halloween event, I press the home button on her phone to check up on the battery percentage and I notice two messages on notification, in one, another guy she is talking to calls her "babe". It is only coming from him and she is not calling him names back from the timngs I see. Looking through past messages, she is meeting this guy at the halloween event. She says she is just going with her best friend (f) and is only buying tickets from him. I ask for proof, which she refuses to produce, and walks away. After a while, she somes back and I tell her to leave. She asks what she can do, says that we broke up a week ago after we had a fight, says she still loves me, wants to stay, seems like shes on an emotional rollercoaster, she stayed at her mom's last night.

All this stuff is happening once a month for the past few months that I snoop into her messages. I have very little trust in her, especially when she deletes her conversations after I confront her.

TL;DR - my gf is talking sweetly to other guys, as far as i know, nothing sexual has happened.

Right now, I called in sick and i'm home right now. This is my first real relationship, my long time friend, my first kiss, lost my virginity to her, we have a cat, I spend Christmas with her family, her family likes me, we work at the same place. I'm inexperienced and I dont know what to do.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gaunab posted:

TL;DR - my gf is talking sweetly to other guys, as far as i know, nothing sexual has happened.

this guy is really dumb

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Xaris posted:

this guy is really dumb

the girl is also very dumb because he is routinely snooping on her phone and she wont learn that

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Gaunab posted:

She asks what she can do, says that we broke up a week ago after we had a fight, says she still loves me, wants to stay, seems like shes on an emotional rollercoaster, she stayed at her mom's last night.

1) lol at this girl saying she's polyamorous and this guy remaining unsure she's done anything with these other guys

2) am I reading this part right? With the rest of the story, it sounds like there is some confusion between the two regarding whether or not they were broken up for a week

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That guy caught her cheating a half dozen times and keeps thinking it's salvageable.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

HardDiskD posted:

the girl is also very dumb because he is routinely snooping on her phone and she wont learn that
*to the tune of tegan and sara*
everyone is awful when you're posting on reddit

(and also SA)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Xaris posted:

*to the tune of tegan and sara*
everyone is awful when you're posting on reddit

(and also SA)

:agreed:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

I've never seen this and holy crap :whitewater:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I've never seen this and holy crap :whitewater:

American women love this movie

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

My boyfriend [m36] got mad because I [f24] made a comment about another guy. Was I being inappropriate?

I need to know who is in the wrong in this situation! So my boyfriend and I are very much in love. We have absolutely no issues. We barely fight, maybe a bicker here or there like any couple, but we are in a very healthy relationship. We just bought a house that we are about to move into and we are planning to get married sometime next year. I'm also 7 months pregnant.

So he was drinking last night after work watching football and made a sexual comment about the cheerleaders. It was a stupid guy comment like "I want to stick it up her butt." I didn't think anything of it but it hurt my feelings a little bit because our sex life hasn't been the sexiest since I've gotten pregnant. I called him out on it and he said he was kidding. He always tells me I'm beautiful and sexy but he sometimes makes sexual comments like that without any thinking. I usually just brush it off because I feel that it's mostly harmless.

Fast forward 2 hours later. I ordered a pizza and the delivery man shows up at the door. I pay for the pizza and close the door. As I sat down I made a comment that the pizza guy was "kinda cute". That's when my boyfriend lost his mind. He started yelling and asking why would I ever say that to his face and accused me of wanting to gently caress the pizza guy. I told him that it was an innocent comment and I didn't mean anything sexual by it. I then pointed out the comment that he made earlier about the cheerleaders and how it was worse than my comment because it was sexual. "That's different because I will never touch them because they are on the TV! This guy was at my door!" He then told me that he cannot trust me anymore and that he thinks I will just gently caress any guy that I think is cute. This made me so angry because I will never cheat on him and never even think of cheating on him. He was so mad at me that he slept on the couch last night because "he didn't feel comfortable sleeping next to me."

So I barely got any sleep last night because I was so upset. I figured he drank too much last night and he would apologize this morning. But he didn't. He barely gave me a kiss when he left for work and told me I was "being mean last night" and that he will "hit on other women in front of me so I know how it feels."

I am so angry at him and his immature behavior. He has never been like this and I feel like he's overreacting. It really hurt my feelings that he said he will hit on other women in front of me to make me jealous because I didn't even hit on the delivery guy! Is my boyfriend acting crazy?

TL;DR - I said a delivery guy was "kinda cute". Boyfriend lost his mind.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

They should stay with each other so that nobody else has to deal with them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

They should stay with each other so that nobody else has to deal with them.

You'd think so, but murder suicides are expensive and messy for the county.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah this is another one of those scenarios where I feel absolutely no pity for either one of them, but she at least has the excuse of being heavily pregnant and probably extremely hormonal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
That was a good age reveal, I guessed something along those lines