Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snak posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hate that "RPG" in modern parlance means "lots of stats" and nothing else. Not annoyance. Irrational hatred.

Hasn't it always had that aspect though? I played games like System Shock, Ultima, and Eye of the Beholder in the 90s and they were thought of as RPGs then, and would still be today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

That's dumb anyway because The Witcher 3 has lots of stats

No poo poo.

I can accept that terminology evolves, but I can't accept that "role-playing doesn't make for a Role-playing game". Like now stats make for a role-playing game also, but role-playing is in the loving name.

Snak fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 14, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Snak posted:

No poo poo.

But I would like this person to choke to death on their own bullshit. I can accept that terminology evolves, but I can't accept that "role-playing doesn't make for a Role-playing game". Like now stats make for a role-playing game also, but role-playing is in the loving name.

Forget it Jake Snak it's Chinatown Reddit

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh god ninja edit too late. How embarrassing.

I'm just tired of arguing with morons about everything.

Obviously I shouldn't wast my time arguing with morons about dumb poo poo like video games, but it's much more depressing (and important) to argue with morons about things that matter.

Snak fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Games haven't ever had terribly great genre names. I remember when it was split between calling them computer RPGs or console RPGs instead of western/japanese. Or whatever melange of junk used to be called action/adventure.

Or when shooter referred to stuff like Gradius and not Call of Duty.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Action adventure games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Games haven't ever had terribly great genre names. I remember when it was split between calling them computer RPGs or console RPGs instead of western/japanese. Or whatever melange of junk used to be called action/adventure.

Right, but what are we supposed to call game about playing roles now? It's like how we need a new word that means "literally".

Like, there are ads on the radio every day slamming some democratic senator because he supported Obamacare "which cause skyrocketing medical costs for families in Missouri"

No you loving lying sack of poo poo, you guys opting out of the medicaid expansion is what caused medical costs for families to sky rocket. The government was like "here is free money for people to afford medical care" and you said "no, I want them to suffer for being poor". Literally what happened.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phantasium posted:

"I'm playing this awesome new shooter."
"What, like Gradius?"
"No, it's first-person."
"Oh, like Tie Fighter!"
"No, that's space combat!"
"Oh you mean like

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Right, but what are we supposed to call game about playing roles now? It's like how we need a new word that means "literally".

I know nothing about D&D but is there a specific name for using a prefab character instead of making your own?

I mean even JRPGs come from pen and paper and Wizardry. I think an actually useful name for RPGs would be to reference a pen and paper game with a distinction between rolling your own character like in an Elder Scrolls or something like Final Fantasy where the blanks are already filled in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Snak posted:

People fighting about game genres isn't new though. There were endless threads made about whether or not Diablo 1 is an RPG. It doesn't matter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My fave is Metroidvania because in recent years Metroid and Castlevania wouldnt be described by that term

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

My fave is Metroidvania because in recent years Metroid and Castlevania wouldnt be described by that term

I'm glad Igarashi is trying to coin Igavania and I hope it catches on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

People fighting about game genres isn't new though. There were endless threads made about whether or not Diablo 1 is an RPG. It doesn't matter.

I don't give a poo poo about game genres. I'm tired of every interaction with another person being complete bullshit where logic and reason don't matter and the only thing that matters is who yells the loudest. Work, school, politics, it's just what life is like. It's bullshit and it sucks.

Like at work we got in trouble for not filling the printers at the beginning and the end of our shifts. No the printers never ran out of paper. Yes I'm supposed to fill it at the end of my shift and the next person is supposed to fill them at the beginning of theirs. No it's not physically possible for paper to get used in between those two times. Will we get in trouble for not doing it? Yes.

Everything is loving bullshit and I hate it.

Like we got in trouble last week because no one used any paper. Because none needed to be used. I guess they want us to just throw paper away and mark it used? I don't know, they didn't think that far ahead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You play a role in many genres of games now though so it is a bit weird to say that's the thing that makes something an RPG.

It's like post-rock. The first post rock bands were things like Disco Inferno that legitimately were going past the rock structure but nowadays post rock bands are just "largely instrumental rock bands with long songs". It's pointless to care.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

You play a role in many genres of games now though so it is a bit weird to say that's the thing that makes something an RPG.

It's like post-rock. The first post rock bands were things like Disco Inferno that legitimately were going past the rock structure but nowadays post rock bands are just "largely instrumental rock bands with long songs". It's pointless to care.

In this analogy, someone is saying that Bob Seger isn't Rock because he doesn't have enough in common with Dragonforce.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
In the video Game Super Mario Bros you Play the Role of Mario, a plumber who must save the princess from a giant evil turtle who has multiple boss forms and sits at the end of a dungeon

"you fool"

he says

"this isn't even my final form"

then he starts throwing hammers at you and puts a block at the top of the room to make it harder for you to jump over him and touch the little axe thing

SMB: The First JRPG

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Monkey Fracas posted:

In the video Game Super Mario Bros you Play the Role of Mario, a plumber who must save the princess from a giant evil turtle who has multiple boss forms and sits at the end of a dungeon

"you fool"

he says

"this isn't even my final form"

then he starts throwing hammers at you and puts a block at the top of the room to make it harder for you to jump over him and touch the little axe thing

SMB: The First JRPG

I hate these games where you don't actually kill the boss yourself but have to watch the boss die in an unskippable cutscene. When Mario touches the axe and you have to sit there and watch the bridge disappear under Bowser --- Jesus, just stop jacking off to yourself Nintendo and make a drat movie already.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
games own

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I hate these games where you don't actually kill the boss yourself but have to watch the boss die in an unskippable cutscene. When Mario touches the axe and you have to sit there and watch the bridge disappear under Bowser --- Jesus, just stop jacking off to yourself Nintendo and make a drat movie already.

I like it when depleating the boss health in a game triggers a cutscene, and then they let you pull the trigger in the cutscene. Like Resident Evil 5, Tomb Raider (2013), I know there are others. I can't remember if you have the option in Red Dead Redemption.

edit: ^ games own. People suck.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
MGSV sorta did it but with a neat/awful twist

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
I'm starting up my PSVR/general VR twitch again if you guys wanna jump on:

https://www.twitch.tv/v_aria

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Raserys posted:

games own

Get a load of this joker

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's so hard to recognize that my anger towards external things is a result of my own problems and NOT direct the hatred towards myself. It's easier to just hate myself for being lovely and then drink until I forget I'm lovely. Play games until I'm too drunk.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Snak posted:

It's so hard to recognize that my anger towards external things is a result of my own problems and NOT direct the hatred towards myself. It's easier to just hate myself for being lovely and then drink until I forget I'm lovely. Play games until I'm too drunk.

Dude, I mean in this in the sincerest way possible, but maybe you should take a look at how much you're drinking. I see you post a fair amount on these forums about getting shitfaced, to the point where I think you might be using it as a crutch to deal with things rather than something that enhances an existing social situation.

You're not a lovely person, you seem like a cool, down to earth dude who turns to alcohol when you want to get away from it all. A sentiment I am able to understand wholeheartedly. Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk about this stuff more privately. :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FanaticalMilk posted:

Dude, I mean in this in the sincerest way possible, but maybe you should take a look at how much you're drinking. I see you post a fair amount on these forums about getting shitfaced, to the point where I think you might be using it as a crutch to deal with things rather than something that enhances an existing social situation.

You're not a lovely person, you seem like a cool, down to earth dude who turns to alcohol when you want to get away from it all. A sentiment I am able to understand wholeheartedly. Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk about this stuff more privately. :)

I appreciate it. I am a no-exaggeration alcoholic. I 100% use it as a coping mechanism. I've tried not drinking. I made it 6 months pretty recently before I started drinking again because life is just so boring. I don't have any goals or desires and I only continue to be alive because there are people who care about me and they would be upset if I killed myself. "Sobriety" only replaces my addiction with other habits, like videogames, shows, movies, writing, etc that I use in the exact same way. I am an escapist, who got it into his head a long time ago that it's better to ignore reality than deal with it, and I don't need substance abuse to do this, but it makes me the happiest to do it that way.

I'm honestly doing pretty good right now, I just accidentally came out of my shell too much and engaged idiots on the internet. Normally I just stick to posting in the 3-4 threads I have on SA and drinking by myself, which works pretty well.

I'm not suicidal, I'm not a danger to other people, and I enjoy most of my day-to-day life. I have all kinds of modern conveniences and luxuries, I can't really ask for more. I can even afford video games and movies and streaming services. These sort of luxuries are almost meaningless sober. They are material and insignificant. But if I get drunk, my perceived reality shrinks from the entire universe to a small room, where these diversions are now relevant and important. Where the dopamine release I get from these interactions feels significant. When you're stupid from drinking, all your thoughts and ideas feel important and smart, and it doesn't matter if they aren't.

Intoxication and brain damage obfuscate the reality that I am just another ineffectual moron like everyone else.

basically I'm deciding if World of Final Fantasy is going to be worth drinking slightly less so I can afford to buy it this month. I already bought DQ Builders for full price, which wasn't planned. It wasn't even on my radar until I played the demo. And I might get FF15. I pre-ordered it for my roommate as a birthday gift cause he's really excited for it, so I'll probably wait to see what it's like before buying it for myself.

I usually buy like 1-2 full price game per year, so this is a seriously budgetary transgression already. It's a mindset holdover from my recent stretch of sobriety where I am used to having all the extra money I would normally be spending on alcohol. The transitory period is always rough. Either I'll cut back on drinking and keep buying games, or I will use alcohol to continue to be entertained by what I already have.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So glad its almost the weekend. My pc has been dead for a week. Well not dead my video card burnt out. I think my gpu fan is busted. Good bye my 4 gig gtx 680. You held up for quite a bit. Probably gonna head to Frys to buy a new card. And yeah snak i dont think you are a lovely person man.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

I appreciate it. I am a no-exaggeration alcoholic. I 100% use it as a coping mechanism. I've tried not drinking. I made it 6 months pretty recently before I started drinking again because life is just so boring. I don't have any goals or desires and I only continue to be alive because there are people who care about me and they would be upset if I killed myself. "Sobriety" only replaces my addiction with other habits, like videogames, shows, movies, writing, etc that I use in the exact same way. I am an escapist, who got it into his head a long time ago that it's better to ignore reality than deal with it, and I don't need substance abuse to do this, but it makes me the happiest to do it that way.

I'm honestly doing pretty good right now, I just accidentally came out of my shell too much and engaged idiots on the internet. Normally I just stick to posting in the 3-4 threads I have on SA and drinking by myself, which works pretty well.

I'm not suicidal, I'm not a danger to other people, and I enjoy most of my day-to-day life. I have all kinds of modern conveniences and luxuries, I can't really ask for more. I can even afford video games and movies and streaming services. These sort of luxuries are almost meaningless sober. They are material and insignificant. But if I get drunk, my perceived reality shrinks from the entire universe to a small room, where these diversions are now relevant and important. Where the dopamine release I get from these interactions feels significant. When you're stupid from drinking, all your thoughts and ideas feel important and smart, and it doesn't matter if they aren't.

Intoxication and brain damage obfuscate the reality that I am just another ineffectual moron like everyone else.

basically I'm deciding if World of Final Fantasy is going to be worth drinking slightly less so I can afford to buy it this month. I already bought DQ Builders for full price, which wasn't planned. It wasn't even on my radar until I played the demo. And I might get FF15. I pre-ordered it for my roommate as a birthday gift cause he's really excited for it, so I'll probably wait to see what it's like before buying it for myself.

I usually buy like 1-2 full price game per year, so this is a seriously budgetary transgression already. It's a mindset holdover from my recent stretch of sobriety where I am used to having all the extra money I would normally be spending on alcohol. The transitory period is always rough. Either I'll cut back on drinking and keep buying games, or I will use alcohol to continue to be entertained by what I already have.

EVE Online is the game for you!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

:therapy:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Agree to disagree, I think fletcher was definitely worse and got off much easier and it was his behavior that caused neiman's issues to get more and more exacerbated and it was really sad seeing someone as toxic and caustic as fletcher abusing neiman like that, even if jk simmons' delivery and portrayal was funny, and I kinda wished that there was *some* kind of karmic retribution

Well Fletcher does lose his dream job in what I presume was a somewhat publicized court case, but yeah you don't really get to see him upset about that in a karmic way, just kinda wistful

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

EVE Online is the game for you!

It's really not. It's sooooooo boring. If it had any real single player content, I'd probably be pretty into it, but, if it's not obvious from my post, I'm seriously anti-social and don't care for MMOs that require being part of groups larger than like 4 people.

edit: Good talk everyone, I feel much better. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

I need to save money for Horizon Zero Dawn. Sorry, World of Final Fantasy.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 14, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

I know this is maybe the least important thing I could possibly take away from this but if you're drinking while playing video games I think I know why you had so much trouble with Furi

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I know this is maybe the least important thing I could possibly take away from this but if you're drinking while playing video games I think I know why you had so much trouble with Furi

That was while I was sober.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

JFC Snak go to a meeting or a therapist or something. You have depression.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

It's not just games, either. People fight about genre in TV, movies, and the fiercest fighting ground is probably novels, where "genre" itself is practically a loving swear word for people who consider themselves "literary" or "up-market."

The classifications can be helpful but the Zelda II "this is both more and less of an RPG than most Zelda games, depending on what you are looking for" thing will always exist. Context clues are helpful when discussing amorphous and abstract things like genre.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like if the classification for RPGs is just "you earn at least one kind of point which you can spend for character advancement" then fewer and fewer games don't count anymore.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think at this point, RPG has just become short-hand for "you get new skills, possibly gain levels." Yeah, it's not role-playing in the tabletop or MMO sense, but at some point we accepted stupid genre names and they stuck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

I think at this point, RPG has just become short-hand for "you get new skills, possibly gain levels." Yeah, it's not role-playing in the tabletop or MMO sense, but at some point we accept stupid genre names.

yeah, and that's okay. But the old games don't stop being RPGs just because there is a new meaning. The Witcher 3 is an RPG. RPGs are most arguably about making choices. Now, in the modern sense, that choice almost always just "what stat do I upgrade?" But it's still the fact that you chose where to put the point that makes it an "RPG element". If you just had your stats improve across the board as you progressed through the game, people wouldn't really consider it an RPG.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna post these because I think they look kinda neat and silly

They're some of the new skylanders characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Apparently if you have a YouTube channel and make a few videos about how lovely you think Activision are and how much you hate what they did to Crash and Spyro they will send you hundreds of dollars worth of toys for the newest Skylanders game in return.

What a country!

• Locked thread