Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chomp8645 posted:

Sure I guess. I didn't play either in their EA days. But I am offended at the notion of someone playing "the poo poo out of" that turd ES and then dropping EL, an infinitely better game, after an hour or whatever.

Honestly, I still go back to ES more often than EL. It's just really relaxing to sit back and watch the numbers go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Chomp8645 posted:

What the gently caress.

Yeah, it's a combination of me actually liking ES which apparently isn't the consensus, and simply never giving EL an actual shot because I never went back to it after it came out of Early Access. At that point I think I only had an old laptop, too, so the game looked and ran like poo poo because my computer was bad.

I'm giving it a try now, though, and I like what I'm seeing so far :shobon:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Generation Internet posted:

I'm giving it a try now, though, and I like what I'm seeing so far :shobon:

:cheerdoge:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Messing around in ES2 and im being influence killed. Its slowly consuming my system. So I did the prudent thing and went on a conquering spree and I am taking all of his planets. Except his influence sphere never reduces. How do you make it go away? Just beta things?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

Messing around in ES2 and im being influence killed. Its slowly consuming my system. So I did the prudent thing and went on a conquering spree and I am taking all of his planets. Except his influence sphere never reduces. How do you make it go away? Just beta things?

Build the influence-granting buildings, I think. The purple stars.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Enemy influence never disappears, you can only overwrite it with your own. Not sure if that's intended or not.

And yes, producing the influence resource makes the circles grow. Getting the luxury good that creates +50 influence developments is hilarious.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Giving the Allayi a try and I feel like the huge expansion disapproval penalty has made it hard to progress in the faction quest :v: Probably should have beelined the Altar and used gold buyout on it.

Also their heroes seem kind of weird, I have no idea what to do with their faction tree but it seems like getting another hero with actual governing skills is a high priority.

New water mechanics seem really weird so far. Do your units move faster if they are in an army with a boarding vessel? Because it seems like you lose a ton of move speed now going into the water, which is kinda yucky.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You always lost all of your movement when moving into and out of water, though I'm not sure if the expansion changes that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Onean posted:

You always lost all of your movement when moving into and out of water, though I'm not sure if the expansion changes that.

The Morgawr definitely don't lose all their movement going in and out of water, maybe they're the exception.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Speedball posted:

The Morgawr definitely don't lose all their movement going in and out of water, maybe they're the exception.

Morgawr affinity is not losing your move points when embarking.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

ssmagus posted:

Morgawr affinity is not losing your move points when embarking.

Ah Aurigan Polynesia...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Morgawr might be the only faction in the game who can get utterly screwed before the game even loads. No ocean, no dice. So much of their strength comes from their ability to grab fortresses early and having an ocean presence that they'd really bad on a map without them.

Did anyone else get the Yellow Submarine quest yet?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That'd be an interesting challenge. A land-locked Morgawr game would still benefit from rivers and lakes, but they'd have to rely heavily upon assimilated troops for their ground forces. They'd still have their Black Spot ability and Catspaw, so they could probably mess up enemies that way. You'd have to get creative, though.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Haven't played cravers in es2 yet so I don't know if it's already in the game but I'm liking their theme https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/driven-by-dna-cravers-theme?in=flybyno%2Fsets%2Fendless-space-2-ost-demo-early
e: hah, maybe I should have read his description

Also that led to me finding this :3: https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/snoring-hedgehog

Overminty fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 14, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing as the new faction and lol how can they have Spying. The Forgotten makes sense cuz they can go invisible and can don a disguise, as can many others.

But like the Necrophages, these guys are monsters. How would you NOT catch this dude infiltrating your poo poo lol.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I'm playing as the new faction and lol how can they have Spying. The Forgotten makes sense cuz they can go invisible and can don a disguise, as can many others.

But like the Necrophages, these guys are monsters. How would you NOT catch this dude infiltrating your poo poo lol.

Mind control.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bah I say, BAH!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's much more fun if you imagine them in hilariously inept costumes. SURE IS GREAT TO BE LIVING ON DUST AND NOT EATING FOOD, eh boys? (Gasps)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jastiger posted:

I've always imagined the cities of EL, even Necrophage cities, to be incredibly diverse. Otherwise the whole "population conserved" thing makes about zero sense and makes significantly less when a city is captured by BL.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well the difference is for me is that even if the cities were diverse, the non necro or morg pops wouldn't be living in nice apts on the east side. Theyd be in hovels or pens as bargaining chips or as food. They should just not let those heroes have spies innately. Hire them sure, but spy? Ehh

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Well the difference is for me is that even if the cities were diverse, the non necro or morg pops wouldn't be living in nice apts on the east side. Theyd be in hovels or pens as bargaining chips or as food. They should just not let those heroes have spies innately. Hire them sure, but spy? Ehh

Your fault for building Sewer Systems with fish people spies running about.

EDIT: Also the Morgarw are fun if seemingly very weak. They've got a nasty surprise in their questline. At one point you'll need to Catspaw two minor faction armies, then a Roving Trader army spawns and attacks your capital. It's surprisingly brutal if you're not prepared. Not sure if it'll trigger if you already had two Catspaw'ed armies prior to the quest.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 14, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh, this new patch seems to have made the game pretty drat unstable. It keeps crashing, I've had like five or six crashes to desktop. Maybe it's an OSX thing.

EDIT: And a new tiny patch downloaded, hope it fixes it.

This game is still drat gorgeous, though.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 14, 2016

Menelon
Oct 2, 2014

Speedball posted:

Ugh, this new patch seems to have made the game pretty drat unstable. It keeps crashing, I've had like five or six crashes to desktop. Maybe it's an OSX thing.

There is a hotfix (1.5.1) with a 32-bit version for OSX (patch notes). Maybe you could give it a try.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jastiger posted:

They're actually not diverse at all, but rather all populated by clones of the same 20 heroes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Wow, I didn't even know Endless Space 2 was a thing until I found this thread. I never got into Legend or Dungeon so I just farted around in Space for hundreds of hours.

I really hope Sowers make it into ES2, since they were the faction/affinity I played most. Also they're just so drat unique as a concept.

This talk about Tech Eras and whatnot is making me think that making the jump from ES1 straight to ES2 is going to call for a lot of learning new junk, huh?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

This talk about Tech Eras and whatnot is making me think that making the jump from ES1 straight to ES2 is going to call for a lot of learning new junk, huh?

Honestly it's not that bad. The tech tree's a lot easier to understand.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I really hope Sowers make it into ES2, since they were the faction/affinity I played most. Also they're just so drat unique as a concept.
You're in luck. Someone rootled around in the files and found references to the Sowers, so we'll be seeing them around.

I want their gimmick to be to prepare planets for other populations, so they grow really slowly but other populations flock to their kickass worlds and you're just paving the way, like the Heralds in
Star Ruler 2.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The references to Sowers could also just be getting a unique tech from a quest chain revolving around the sowers, of course.

We know of two factions that will be in the game for sure. A human one, and the contest one.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

The references to Sowers could also just be getting a unique tech from a quest chain revolving around the sowers, of course.

We know of two factions that will be in the game for sure. A human one, and the contest one.

I want to believe. :smith:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Deleter posted:

You're in luck. Someone rootled around in the files and found references to the Sowers, so we'll be seeing them around.

I want their gimmick to be to prepare planets for other populations, so they grow really slowly but other populations flock to their kickass worlds and you're just paving the way, like the Heralds in
Star Ruler 2.

"Hey I heard a Sower made landfall over on Chiron VII last year."

"Yeah, and it's already turned itself into a massive mall-city."

"Hell, this place is a dump, wanna emigrate over there?"

e: I like the idea that they're not doing it intentionally (since they're doing it for their long-gone makers, of course), but if your race just happens to like Tundra worlds (or whatever the equivalent is in ES2) then the Sowers absolutely don't mind if you chill out on their planets. Hell, they likely don't even care.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 14, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I started up my ES copy and I can't get into it. Hopefully the second's going to be better.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

"Hey I heard a Sower made landfall over on Chiron VII last year."

"Yeah, and it's already turned itself into a massive mall-city."

"Hell, this place is a dump, wanna emigrate over there?"

See this is loving awesome, works super cool with the population mechanics and would make the senate a hilarious clusterfuck. Plus you could steal pop from other races and make them mad at you.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Your fault for building Sewer Systems with fish people spies running about.

EDIT: Also the Morgarw are fun if seemingly very weak. They've got a nasty surprise in their questline. At one point you'll need to Catspaw two minor faction armies, then a Roving Trader army spawns and attacks your capital. It's surprisingly brutal if you're not prepared. Not sure if it'll trigger if you already had two Catspaw'ed armies prior to the quest.

The units seem weak but if you get rolling with ocean fortresses with strategic resources, you can beeline the high-tier weapons before anyone else, and at that point it doesn't matter if your base units suck. They have the luxury of skipping over extractors if you get lucky with some of the fortresses. I am rolling in all resources, strategic and luxuries, in my game right now. Pretty soon I will steamroll other continents with my Navy SEAL squads laying waste to coastal cities from 5 tiles off in the ocean in a single turn.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Lichtenstein posted:

They're actually not diverse at all, but rather all populated by clones of the same 20 heroes.

That TNG episode was okay

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Rygar201 posted:

That TNG episode was okay

No episode will ever top the apex of Star Trek episodes of all time.

Spock's Brain.
Give me a major faction based off Spock's Brain.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Tempest is a tremendously entertaining expansion. Suddenly the entire world seems alive, and the mowg..moarg...mowgli are really fun to play. They may or may not be strong, but they are extremely entertaining!

Helion fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 14, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hahaha, one of the first fortresses I got in this game was something that produced industry stockpiles regularly. Just blasted straight through the first two Legendary Buildings and am well on the way to the third.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Annoyingly, the Morgawr questline's second step to capture one of two fortresses near your capital apparently doesn't complete if you already have them when you get the quest. Not sure if I should move a mind-controlled army next to it and release the mind control or not bother, I already played one game and I don't think the faction quest gave you anything noteworthy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you mindcontrol and catspaw enemy areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

How do you mindcontrol and catspaw enemy areas?

It's only minor factions & pacified/dead villages; if they're in vision range you can click on them and there'll be a button in the lower-left (where Attack/Parley/etc. are).