Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What a loving waste of flashpoint.

I wanted a battle raged world, supergirl, and arrow in one.

Instead we get

The Flash: ButterflyEffect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

TLG James posted:

What a loving waste of flashpoint.

I wanted a battle raged world, supergirl, and arrow in one.

Instead we get

Yeah, it was kind of disappointing, perfectly fine episodes but not what flashpoint could have been. Especially considering the addition of Supergirl to the DC CW line-up, add in a Constantine appearance too, for good measure.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
At this point, everything about this show and Arrow just feels so rote. They're not trying anything new or exciting anymore, they're just maybe tweaking the status quo a bit, probably only for an episode or two, and then getting back to the same tired melodrama and re-hashed monster meta-of-the-week plots. I want them to really do something with this shared unimultiverse they've got. Swing for the fences. At least for the season premiere and finale.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm actually glad flashpoint is over so quickly. The less time we waste in bullshit timelines that mean jack poo poo because they're only going to get erased anyway, the better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

At this point, everything about this show and Arrow just feels so rote. They're not trying anything new or exciting anymore, they're just maybe tweaking the status quo a bit, probably only for an episode or two, and then getting back to the same tired melodrama and re-hashed monster meta-of-the-week plots. I want them to really do something with this shared unimultiverse they've got. Swing for the fences. At least for the season premiere and finale.
So far, both Flash episodes haven't been very meta-of-the-week. The Rival showed up both times, sure, but the episodes weren't about "how they hell do we handle the Rival," both were about Barry loving things up. I don't think this season is going to be as good as 1, but so far it seems like it could easily be better than 2.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That was my point, they rushed through the meat of the Flashpoint storyline, which could have been an amazing, multiple series-spanning, season-long event, just to get back to the "meta-of-the-week building up to facing off against another speedster in the last episode or two" framework that defined the past two seasons. It's like they didn't even really want to do a Flashpoint story, they just wanted to check that off the list because it's a well known Flash story and fans want it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

That was my point, they rushed through the meat of the Flashpoint storyline, which could have been an amazing, multiple series-spanning, season-long event, just to get back to the "meta-of-the-week building up to facing off against another speedster in the last episode or two" framework that defined the past two seasons. It's like they didn't even really want to do a Flashpoint story, they just wanted to check that off the list because it's a well known Flash story and fans want it.

I mean, that's the issue right there. They're not going to hijack 2 other series outright (Legends presumably could have worked in the framework) to tell a Flash story. Like you're an Arrow fan and you tune in from last season to find Ollie dead and his father running around in the suit or whatever and every few episodes the Flash shows up to whine about how he ruined the timeline. So you're options are:

1) do it season-long but half-rear end it - you'd have to make super minor changes to not piss off fans of the other shows which means you're basically again not even really doing it. This is also kind of what we're getting right now anyway.

2) do it season-long but isolate it to the Flash - well maybe Legends could fit into the framework since they're outside of time anyway. And actually you could have Supergirl's show be normal but Flash is like "great scott you're part of our universe now!" (but then again even then you're not doing a ruined Flashpoint timeline). So maybe just Arrow is isolated to its own thing. But then you get this flowchart of like, Arrow can only cross-over with Legends maybe since they're shifting between timelines, but otherwise the other 2 are off-limits for Arrow. So it's a trade-off of not being able to do the big 4 series crossover, or smaller crossovers between just two shows, and again, things still have to be somewhat "normal" for it to work.

3) do this as the big series crossover - this is what I would have preferred but then again it would have been really cool for Flash fans and potentially just confusing or boring for fans of the other shows. Like, again, you're watching arrow and then at the end of some episode there's a flash of light and things are different and it's like "find out what happens next in: Flashpoint!" And now you're watching a different show with no stakes for you and it's mostly about The Flash.

But yeah, I don't think we were ever gonna get a proper Flashpoint just like we didn't get a proper Civil War because even though everyone likes to talk up the shared universes, we are just not at the point they were in the comics when they launched these big storylines that crossed over into a dozen series each and played off decades of shared history.

Although to be perfectly frank I am not a huge fan of the Flashpoint storyline anyway, since it basically erased the timeline I was familiar with and brought in the mostly boring New 52, and the novelty of seeing evil Wonder Woman and Aquaman didn't really matter to me. I think we could have shelved the "Flashpoint" moniker for later and then this wouldn't have been as disappointing a premiere to some of its fans, but I am kinda glad its off the table.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What other flash megaevents are there even in the comics? It seems like they literally threw away the biggest subplot that exists for the comics. It was pretty much their age of apocalypse.

I'm really trying to think of any. I'm not the biggest DC fan though.

Ironically, there was a deadpool/X-force comic that was in the AoA timeline a few years ago that summed this up, when listening to the AoA problems.

We don't care about your fake universe's problems.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think there was really anything stopping Arrow from being part of a Flashpoint story. Everything was pretty much wrapped up at the end of last season, and Arrow is suffering badly from just treading water at this point. Shaking everything up could have been just the shot in the arm they needed. And Arrow wouldn't need to be closely tied to Flash's season arc; maybe explain why everything is different in the first episode and have Arrow engage in its own alternate universe hijinx until it's time to resolve Flashpoint, or set it up as a season-long sub-plot that someone on team Arrow (Thea, probably) knows things are wrong and is trying to figure it out.

But, no, we're never gonna get anything like that. That's my problem, really, these DC shows don't seem to have any ambition, anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both Arrow episodes were a million times better than these Flash episodes, so keep that stink away.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah Oliver is back to murdering people and Barry isn't. Both shows can't be good at the same time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Was Arrow's second episode of this season better than the first? Because the first one made me not give a poo poo so hard that now I'm permanently constipated.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

TLG James posted:

drat, now I want Barry to run back in time until he's back in his mother's womb and strangle himself with the umbilical cord.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phylodox posted:

I don't think there was really anything stopping Arrow from being part of a Flashpoint story. Everything was pretty much wrapped up at the end of last season, and Arrow is suffering badly from just treading water at this point. Shaking everything up could have been just the shot in the arm they needed. And Arrow wouldn't need to be closely tied to Flash's season arc; maybe explain why everything is different in the first episode and have Arrow engage in its own alternate universe hijinx until it's time to resolve Flashpoint, or set it up as a season-long sub-plot that someone on team Arrow (Thea, probably) knows things are wrong and is trying to figure it out.

The least well-regarded season of Fringe is season 4 where they basically did this. They were never going to throw out four seasons of established characterizations (though admittedly there's some, er, flexibility in those characterizations) just for a gimmick season that's going to get unwound. That's a really solid way to alienate your viewers, a good chunk of whom don't give two shits about The Flash and just want to watch Ollie beat up mooks and/or stare longingly at Felicity.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Arrow is better when he murders people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

howe_sam posted:

don't give two shits about The Flash and just want to stare longingly Ollie doing the salmon ladder.

greatn posted:

Haha my wife was blurted out, "yes he's loving back!" in episode 1. Then Thea had to make Ollie remember killing is bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She wasn't successful, he gutted a guy this week.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

I think Arrow was better when he murdered people. Important distinction. The link is correlative, not causative.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Idunno Season 2 Arrow was p good and had minimal killing.

Of course we all know where it went to poo poo though. I'm kind of liking how season 5 Arrow is starting out, but that's about it. The moment Felicity turns on the waterworks or some dumb bullshit happens again it's going off my "watch in the morning while checking emails and poo poo before work" list.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TLG James posted:

What other flash megaevents are there even in the comics? It seems like they literally threw away the biggest subplot that exists for the comics. It was pretty much their age of apocalypse.

It's admittedly the only megaevent that centers solely around the Flash. This is because they wanted to reboot the DCU and Geoff Johns had just revived Barry Allen* and loves the dude and I think wanted to do one big story about how he's basically the most important character in the DCU.

But there are other big Flash stories and also other megaevents where Flash plays an important role. Crisis on Infinite Earths is the big one where Flash sacrifices himself to stop the end of the universe, and this lead to Wally growing up and taking the Flash mantle. He also has a pretty big role in Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis (yeah they use that word a lot). There's no other Flash-specific mega event, but then again there's not really one for most single heroes in the DCU, it's usually just everyone or else obviously Superman (Green Lantern had Blackest Night as well).

*imo I think even Johns was somewhat torn up about the New 52, he had just revived Barry Allen and reworked the Flash family and the Rogues and was supposed to be writing that series for the foreseeable future; after Flashpoint he stopped writing the main series and hasn't come back. This is all speculation and is neither here nor there regarding the series though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

He also has a pretty big role in Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis (yeah they use that word a lot).

I could definitely see this version of Barry being tricked into running into a guy's sword.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I could definitely see this version of Barry being tricked into running into a guy's sword.

Anything to get Crixus back :gay:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anything would be better than the Iris romance crap at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How do we show it's the 90s?

Flannel, Dawson's Creek on TV and Soul Asylum of the juke box.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, that's the issue right there. They're not going to hijack 2 other series outright (Legends presumably could have worked in the framework) to tell a Flash story. Like you're an Arrow fan and you tune in from last season to find Ollie dead and his father running around in the suit or whatever and every few episodes the Flash shows up to whine about how he ruined the timeline. So you're options are:

1) do it season-long but half-rear end it - you'd have to make super minor changes to not piss off fans of the other shows which means you're basically again not even really doing it. This is also kind of what we're getting right now anyway.

2) do it season-long but isolate it to the Flash - well maybe Legends could fit into the framework since they're outside of time anyway. And actually you could have Supergirl's show be normal but Flash is like "great scott you're part of our universe now!" (but then again even then you're not doing a ruined Flashpoint timeline). So maybe just Arrow is isolated to its own thing. But then you get this flowchart of like, Arrow can only cross-over with Legends maybe since they're shifting between timelines, but otherwise the other 2 are off-limits for Arrow. So it's a trade-off of not being able to do the big 4 series crossover, or smaller crossovers between just two shows, and again, things still have to be somewhat "normal" for it to work.

3) do this as the big series crossover - this is what I would have preferred but then again it would have been really cool for Flash fans and potentially just confusing or boring for fans of the other shows. Like, again, you're watching arrow and then at the end of some episode there's a flash of light and things are different and it's like "find out what happens next in: Flashpoint!" And now you're watching a different show with no stakes for you and it's mostly about The Flash.

But yeah, I don't think we were ever gonna get a proper Flashpoint just like we didn't get a proper Civil War because even though everyone likes to talk up the shared universes, we are just not at the point they were in the comics when they launched these big storylines that crossed over into a dozen series each and played off decades of shared history.

Although to be perfectly frank I am not a huge fan of the Flashpoint storyline anyway, since it basically erased the timeline I was familiar with and brought in the mostly boring New 52, and the novelty of seeing evil Wonder Woman and Aquaman didn't really matter to me. I think we could have shelved the "Flashpoint" moniker for later and then this wouldn't have been as disappointing a premiere to some of its fans, but I am kinda glad its off the table.

I think it could've done just fine isolated to just the Flash, it is an alternate timeline so it doesn't matter if the other shows acknowledge it.

I just wanted to see a JL team up of some sort, across maybe a couple episodes at least. And not in the way they did it last season where green arrow appears from the shadows with a well placed arrow shot and then he goes back home.

The flash/supergirl crossover was literally "hey, I'm here from an alternate universe", doing something like that would've been fine for flashpoint.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Or they could conceivably not have Norah Allen living be something the effects the gender of Diggle's child. Or anything in a city 600 miles away. I understand the whole "butterfly effect" thing, but it's also not hard to suspend your disbelief that maybe it wouldn't radiate outward that far, that quickly. I mean, what? Does she later run over an ARGUS platoon killing Lyla?

It didn't have to affect other shows, given that it had only been ~15 years and the major event that it somehow changed was no metas, which apparently only largely occurred two years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The more important change is no Flash.

Really Oliver should be dead. Barry directly saved his life a couple of times.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Or they could conceivably not have Norah Allen living be something the effects the gender of Diggle's child. Or anything in a city 600 miles away. I understand the whole "butterfly effect" thing, but it's also not hard to suspend your disbelief that maybe it wouldn't radiate outward that far, that quickly. I mean, what? Does she later run over an ARGUS platoon killing Lyla?

It didn't have to affect other shows, given that it had only been ~15 years and the major event that it somehow changed was no metas, which apparently only largely occurred two years ago.

Which sperm reaches the egg is probably one of the things most susceptible to butterfly effect shenanigans.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

THF13 posted:

Which sperm reaches the egg is probably one of the things most susceptible to butterfly effect shenanigans.

My money is on they couldn't get a male baby actor to match the previous season's one

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Prediction: Flashpoint being 'fixed' in the first episode is a trick. We are actually watching the real flashpoint right now, and it will continue until the big crossover, when it'll finally get 'fixed'.

Either that or Barry just goes on with the knowledge that he has irrevocably hosed up everyone else's lives.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

WarLocke posted:

Prediction: Flashpoint being 'fixed' in the first episode is a trick. We are actually watching the real flashpoint right now, and it will continue until the big crossover, when it'll finally get 'fixed'.

Either that or Barry just goes on with the knowledge that he has irrevocably hosed up everyone else's lives.

Until using his super speed makes him forget that anything ever happened.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WarLocke posted:

Don't worry, he'll fix it. By running faster. And maybe giving time another wedgie. Peptalks may be involved, as most likely will absolution from all guilt by his friends.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

tsob posted:

Don't worry, he'll fix it. By running faster. And maybe giving time another wedgie. Peptalks may be involved, as most likely will absolution from all guilt by his friends.

One of them will have a dark secret though.

Also, where the gently caress is wells, he is the reason I watch this show!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bozart posted:

Also, where the gently caress is wells, he is the reason I watch this show!

Next week you impatient sumbitch

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Cool a new season! Annnnnnnd the villan is... ANOTHER SPEEDSTER!! WOW!

OH! Also he hosed up the timeline, again!

C'mon guys you can do better than this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr Alchemy isn't a speedster.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Dr Alchemy isn't a speedster.

TBF we don't know that. If it is Draco Malfoy he got across town pretty quick after all...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Alchemy is going to turn the lead of a mediocre second season into solid TV gold.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At least the Rival isn't another superior speedster, Barry's whipped him pretty good twice now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy A. Person posted:

TBF we don't know that. If it is Draco Malfoy he got across town pretty quick after all...

Well so did Cisco

• Locked thread