Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Blinkman987 posted:

Game industry

he was talking about rich nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Game industry pays great for coders.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

With the benefit of barely having to see them!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ummm, no, it most certainly does not.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

feedmegin posted:

Ummm, no, it most certainly does not.

It does if you work for a Ponzi scheme instead of a game company. I had a cowoker leave to go work at Chris Roberts cult (and then not stay long because everything other than salary was horrible).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Until they get cut after the game ships.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Not compared to coding jobs at non-game companies. Blizzard is basically the Google of the games industry in terms of prestige, but look at the salary discrepancy:

Blizzard Senior Software Engineer: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Blizzard-Entertainment-Senior-Software-Engineer-Salaries-E24858_D_KO23,47.htm
Google Senior Software Engineer: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google-Senior-Software-Engineer-Salaries-E9079_D_KO7,31.htm

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 14, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Yes, coders can make more outside the game industry. But they still make good money, or at least good money for the games industry.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Until they get cut after the game ships.

Why wait until after the game ships, lay them off before.

Bad With Money - Just Go Into The Game Industry

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ahhahahahaaahahaa <gasp> hahahahaha

monster on a stick posted:

Bad With Money - Just Go Into The Game Industry

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

:laffo:

quote:

Yes, coders can make more outside the game industry. But they still make good money, or at least good money for the games industry.

Most make *extremely* poor pay for coders, because so many people want the job.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Nail Rat posted:

:laffo:

Most make *extremely* poor pay for coders, because so many people want the job.

Between competition for openings at good companies, layoffs, release date crunch time, and the Steam Green Light lottery for those trying to go it alone, it certainly doesn't seem like a great gig for many.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The games industry is notorious for crap/stressful working condition, long hours, no-warning layoffs, and relatively bad pay. A midlevel developer is likely to make 50-100% more money working a lot fewer hours for a non-games company. Also a lot of game companies are absolute poo poo when it comes to development process and project management. Really fundamental stuff that keeps a certain level of sanity like well-managed source control and build processes are frequently non-existent. Granted a lot of non-games companies are poo poo at this stuff too, but it's seems especially rampant in the games industry.

And yet there are still so many people, mostly young-ish guys, that dream of working on video games money-be-damned so the wages are really depressed compared to same-level, same-skill roles in the market at large.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Guinness posted:

The games industry is notorious for crap/stressful working condition, long hours, no-warning layoffs, and relatively bad pay. A midlevel developer is likely to make 50-100% more money working a lot fewer hours for a non-games company. Also a lot of game companies are absolute poo poo when it comes to development process and project management. Really fundamental stuff that keeps a certain level of sanity like well-managed source control and build processes are frequently non-existent. Granted a lot of non-games companies are poo poo at this stuff too, but it's seems especially rampant in the games industry.

And yet there are still so many people, mostly young-ish guys, that dream of working on video games money-be-damned so the wages are really depressed compared to same-level, same-skill roles in the market at large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho
Who else is going to tighten up the graphics on Level 3?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho
Who else is going to tighten up the graphics on Level 3?

I remember that we once got a resume in for some teen punk explicitly stating that they wanted to apply for a game tester job.

This was a little bit confusing, as he handed it into the bakery I was working at the time.

I realised later that he simply used his resume for every job without going to the minimal effort to change the stated objective.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I remember that we once got a resume in for some teen punk explicitly stating that they wanted to apply for a game tester job.

This was a little bit confusing, as he handed it into the bakery I was working at the time.

I realised later that he simply used his resume for every job without going to the minimal effort to change the stated objective.

A business guy I know got a resume handed in from a guy who "always dreamed of working for Blizzard." My friend was not Blizzard.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
This week: a stress management counsellor at university told me to stop telling myself I can't afford a tropical vacation -- after all, "don't you have a credit card?"

Also, re computer testing guy: any time you post a listing you get applications from people who aren't paying attention. In the last week I have a listing up that's attracted resumes with objectives of an entry-level HR role, computer programming, and music teaching, all of which have equally little to do with the role. Plus a cover letter customized to Addition Elle. (Not close, not remotely.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Saeku posted:

This week: a stress management counsellor at university told me to stop telling myself I can't afford a tropical vacation -- after all, "don't you have a credit card?"

Also, re computer testing guy: any time you post a listing you get applications from people who aren't paying attention. In the last week I have a listing up that's attracted resumes with objectives of an entry-level HR role, computer programming, and music teaching, all of which have equally little to do with the role. Plus a cover letter customized to Addition Elle. (Not close, not remotely.)

You in Chicago and looking for someone in finance/insurance? I'm starting to really dislike my idea to throw myself into the world of banking.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

You in Chicago and looking for someone in finance/insurance? I'm starting to really dislike my idea to throw myself into the world of banking.

Be sure to send in a resume stating how much you've always wanted to be a circus clown.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Be sure to send in a resume stating how much you've always wanted to be a circus clown.

Circus clowns at least don't have to tell a hard working 20 year old kid that they now owe the bank $3200 because some other piece of poo poo wrote them a bad check and they didn't have the worldliness to know that a check "clearing" doesn't mean "funded." Kid is hosed beyond hosed and there's nothing I or anyone can do about it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
:suspense:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/57er4w/helpcanada_bc_i_screwed_up_big_time_i_lost_90k_in/

quote:

I don't know where this kind of topic belongs too, this is going to be a long post. I've been involved in a startup business in June 2016. One company that's registered in my name as a sole proprietorship and the other registered as a ltd company with my "business partner".

I met this person through my workplace, he seemed friendly and the topic of import/export came up. He was very knowledgeable about the subject, he claimed to be in the business for over 15 years. He offered to help me into the business, we exchanged numbers and met for coffee later in the week. He went on about his ventures and gave me advice how to run my business, he was very personal and said how he does this for family and doesn't need the money for himself. He only wants to help me and hopes in the future that I would do the same to another person. He helped get me off the ground and I was able to import my first product, and some samples. It didn't sell well but it was great experience.

We made a deal, he offered to help sell my product through a few of his contacts if I help him sell some of his products. He gave me a little backstory about why he couldn't sell it because of family issues and a reneged deal. I thought okay that's fine, I will help you out. I invested $5k to share 50% of sales made by the both of us, the product still requires some assembly so I have to put my time building. He said he wanted me to retain the rights of my product so he suggested I get the trademark and copyright registered through his accountant, I gave him about 2.7k for registration and copyrights. (Which I'm still waiting to receive the proper documents). The same day after I exchanged the money with him, he drops off a crate of inventory to my home.

Fast-forward a month we get a lead on someone who wants to buy my BP's product but the only problem it has to be imported. He asks me if I want to take part in it, I thought sure it would be good experience but I need a business plan so I know where things are going. He spends a good hour about his plan, location, target market, margins, time frame etc... I think to myself wow this looks like its going to take off so I agreed.

We celebrate the venture together, he offers me a cigar and we go out for the night picking up women and have some beers. He gives me some life advice and coaches me about upcoming changes that might happen in the future. He said he wanted me to prepare myself because I might get a lot of wealth in the next few months.

Later in the week I realised I can sell his product at the local market in my area, I throw the idea but he shoots it down and said no point of going small when we can wait for the big season event in end of July to August. He also mentions about the import from the week prior and a quote from his accountant it's going to cost us both almost $2500 for business registration and $4500 for certification and inspection of the import in Canada. I think great it costly but I would be worth it when it comes down. He advises me to have my registration transferred in to our business name, so we can sell product under an umbrella of companies if we choose to. He said his accountant will transfer the documents over and it will take about 30 days.

A few weeks go by and the big event is coming up, we have 2 weeks booked to sell his product so I get a call from him and he tells me they double-booked, we don't have a spot and they only have 1 month spots available for much more then we could afford so we cancel. I've already spent a month building inventory and no sales, I'm already flustered because I've spent a lot of savings already and I don't make enough money from my work to keep supporting this. He said he will look into other people to help, he already tried to pitch the idea to a few of my coworkers but they backed out because they didn't want to invest in it first. He said he had a friend of a friend to sell it, and that she will get back to us in a week. In the meantime a day goes by and he calls me up all excited, you won't believe I got sick deal I have to tell you in person.

He arrives at my home and shows me the text message he got from a customer, he wants to buy 4 units that were importing and he's going to refer us to more of his friends. I get some more good news that a "big corporation(privacy)" is buying 20 units, they're going to get test unit from us first and we need to pay certifications in the USA to import it there. We're sitting around crunching numbers, to get the units we need it's going to cost us 40k between the both of us, that will get us a full container that we need. The order for the import was placed the next day and it will take about 4 to 6 weeks. He keeps me up to date with what the company and port is doing, but frankly its not definitive, I've asked for the bill of lading and other documents about the order but he said he will send that to me soon, a week goes by and he forgets, I almost forget too because I get involved with the current deal we have that I blindly trusted him. During that time he still keeps in contact with me he gives me a few ideas he wants to import which involves me giving money, he doesn't explicitly ask for anything. "It would be nice if [we] had the money to do it". There are a few occasions where he was short on money and couldn't provide for his family and I supported that too. I really started suspecting something was wrong when we didn't make any money, the idea was made. A lot of dreamy ideas but still I didn't see a result and to make things worse, I feel psychologically abused and manipulated. There was a few occasions that our contact wanted a few more units and my BP didn't have the funds so I footed the bill, 2k here and 2k there to make things work.

So when time comes to pick up the stuff at the port he happens to get the call that it was delivered at the port and waited to be released but there's fees like GST and load on and load off fees to be paid. I didn't have savings in my tfsa and thankfully the rest locked in a nonredeemable account. I used my paycheck to pay for it, the next few days we get a return call back from the port. I was on a conference call so I could hear the person apparently they didn't get the funds in time so we had to storage fees to pay up, $500/day apparently didn't tell us until 4 days later. I maxed my credit card to pay the difference which still didn't cover it and we got hit with another day, I took out a small loan to pay it. I didn't eat properly for a week, drank more and gained 20 lbs.

My partner reassured me that once the sales come in he will take care of my debt and he drew out a map of which % of business will go to help who and what our plans will be after our first sale. We still had our usual hangouts and meetings over coffee so I had faith he wasn't going to leave me to dry but in my mind I felt uneasy about everything. I don't have any friends/family in my area to speak with about my concerns I assumed it was a part of business.

So finally we ship the units but we have trouble at the border because apparently didn't pay the proper taxes for the USA, "we" had to pay almost 4k to get processed. My BP bank account got frozen due too many NSF checks. I helped out but I used up my overdraft to make the difference, I really felt like it both our business so if he failed then I did too. It took a week to arrive at its destination but they received it and were doing trial runs. They said by the end of Sept we would get payment.

There's so much more going that I feel terrible and depressed. I'm going to get right near the end of this.

The manufacturer we imported from sent us more inventory in good faith that we pay for it after we make the sale, so when that additional container arrived we had no money and its stuck at the port accruing a lot fees ($500/day) that we've stopped paying until some money comes in. My BP talked with the port and apparently got a break so we only have to pay less than $1000 which I don't have because I'm trying to barely cover my rent and current debt now. Smartass BP suggested if I need money, I can take out a loan to "help myself" hinting again that I would give him money to pay for poo poo. I asked if he could but he says he's been denied multiple times and would help me out if he could. So finally the big day comes to get payment but they delay it another week. I get sick of all the dodging and ask him if he has the documents ready but our accountant is on vacation. A few days ago he invited me out for beers, he got me drunk and gave me a sad story that he need money for family. I almost caved in but I felt like I'm being used and denied his request, he even made me feel guilty by saying "Even knowing were going to get a lot of money soon you still wouldn't help me?" I can't because I have nothing to stand on.

Here's the kicker, I looked up our companies online and spoke with company registrars on phone and they can find my sole proprietorship but they can't find the other company that we supposedly registered, in name or partial their computers can't pick it up in the system.

I did a look up of the trademarks I registered but I can't find anything, I'm going to call tomorrow but I doubt I will find anything.

I sent an email to the manufacturer we do business with but they still haven't returned my emails.

I'm almost age 30 with a loss of 70k savings with a 20k debt to my name, I spent a good 9 years saving up my nest egg and my future to lose it all like this is depressing.

I look up to the reddit community to provide me with advice, I honestly don't know where to proceed. Police? Lawyer? This person is still contacting me to this day!! How do I get my money back?!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh my dear sweet God

The balls on that BP though...impressive

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Guinness posted:

One thing I wish teenagers would pick up on is that "cool jobs" inherently pay less than ones not considered cool because of supply and demand. I have worked with a ton of people that spent who knows how much money on Art Institute or Full Sail degrees and ended up working as A/V technicians in a corporate environment rather because you're fighting with a bunch of other people in the same situation for a (maybe) minimum wage job with inconsistent hours.

Games programmer is theoretically better because I assume you might possibly learn some programming skills that can be transferred over to a less glamorous, but better programming job. Given how I see programming "boot camps" advertised I'm not necessarily sure that's true anymore.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What the gently caress is up with boot camps for everything these days? I just had a slew of resumes come in for a position where people listed "professional business bootcamp" and thinks like that under their education or experience sections. Like, a boot camp on how to be a professional grown-up.

I was tempted to reject them just for being dumbasses who paid too much for nothing, but in the end we hired one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sundae posted:

What the gently caress is up with boot camps for everything these days? I just had a slew of resumes come in for a position where people listed "professional business bootcamp" and thinks like that under their education or experience sections. Like, a boot camp on how to be a professional grown-up.

I was tempted to reject them just for being dumbasses who paid too much for nothing, but in the end we hired one.

I personally have known someone who walked from a scammy bootcamp where they paid too much to not learn anything into an $80k+ dev job, and not in one of the coastal cities with an insane cost of living.

Either people have had it in them all along and lack the confidence to apply and interview seriously for stuff without a relevant college degree/ bootcamp certificate, or employers are starting to respect the bootcamp. I'm not sure which one.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guinness posted:

It's not a bad deal for the game company - testers are a pretty classic way to get people cheap ("I get to play games all day? WHOA!") with the lure that they will someday become game developers and designers. I know one or two testers who were able to call out design issues and eventually went into that, or became producers/project managers because they had good organizational skills, but that's uncommon, and typically testers are the first to go during layoffs since they are considered easy to replace.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I personally have known someone who walked from a scammy bootcamp where they paid too much to not learn anything into an $80k+ dev job, and not in one of the coastal cities with an insane cost of living.

Either people have had it in them all along and lack the confidence to apply and interview seriously for stuff without a relevant college degree/ bootcamp certificate, or employers are starting to respect the bootcamp. I'm not sure which one.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't have hired him except that I was outvoted by the department in the end, and the people who were going to have to work with him most regularly really liked him. From my perspective, I felt that he lacked a bunch of critical "soft" skills that made him unpalatable as a candidate. For example, he needed his hand held through everything and couldn't even tell me where he'd start on evaluating improvement potentials on a simple system, in spite of the role being for an industrial engineer. I wasn't looking for the right answer (and I told him this), but for his particular approach.

It was basically, "Let's say you had this system. I'll draw it out on the board for you and walk you through it. Ask me any questions you want to; consider me your system SME who can tell you anything you need to know about the process. We're looking for ways to improve the process on the floor to increase throughput by reducing overall downtime. Here are some common causes of downtime. Walk me through how you would get started on evaluating the situation, okay? Remember: You can ask me anything you need to know or about anything you don't understand."

Guy stared at the board for five minutes, said nothing, asked no questions, and then said he didn't know. He didn't even offer ideas of where he'd start on trying to improve things. Not even a single question to clarify anything.

In fairness, being compatible with your coworkers on a personality level is probably at least as important as being competent for keeping the office running smoothly, but god almighty, show some loving curiosity toward the subject if you're applying for a position. Maybe it was deer-in-headlights, but if so, it was a pretty bad case.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Christ I would have immediately not hired that guy. The only two things I care about in an interview are: 1) Don't be a huge goober and 2) Can you loving THINK?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Christ I would have immediately not hired that guy. The only two things I care about in an interview are: 1) Don't be a huge goober and 2) Can you loving THINK?

Have you ever hired anyone?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
At my last job i wasn't the hiring guy but i was the firing guy and during one period i fired like 7 of our 8 new hires during their probation period. After that they gave me a veto for the hiring process.

And yeah i would have vetoed that guy hard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Sell me this pen."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sundae posted:

Guy stared at the board for five minutes, said nothing, asked no questions, and then said he didn't know. He didn't even offer ideas of where he'd start on trying to improve things. Not even a single question to clarify anything.

That's pretty unforgivable. How the hell did he impress anyone else enough to get hired?

I'm no industrial engineer but I'm pretty sure I could at least have a semi-intelligent conversation in that context.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
http://nyti.ms/2e3P5SZ

The federal gov't spends 49 million per year boarding wild horses on private ranches so that they do not destroy federal land.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VendaGoat posted:

Have you ever hired anyone?

We don't hire a whole lot of people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Games programmer is theoretically better because I assume you might possibly learn some programming skills that can be transferred over to a less glamorous, but better programming job. Given how I see programming "boot camps" advertised I'm not necessarily sure that's true anymore.

Nah if you got a degree in videogames most serious programming places will roll their eyes at you without any other experience. The "best" way to get into videogames is to go back in time 20 years to when there were way more studios and EA / Ubisoft hadn't destroyed everything get a CS degree so you have something to fall back on that's not a joke once you get burnt out making a pittance working in EA's sports game mine and watching your lifelong love of gaming evaporate before your eyes. You can always make games in your free time anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sundae posted:

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't have hired him except that I was outvoted by the department in the end, and the people who were going to have to work with him most regularly really liked him. From my perspective, I felt that he lacked a bunch of critical "soft" skills that made him unpalatable as a candidate. For example, he needed his hand held through everything and couldn't even tell me where he'd start on evaluating improvement potentials on a simple system, in spite of the role being for an industrial engineer. I wasn't looking for the right answer (and I told him this), but for his particular approach.

It was basically, "Let's say you had this system. I'll draw it out on the board for you and walk you through it. Ask me any questions you want to; consider me your system SME who can tell you anything you need to know about the process. We're looking for ways to improve the process on the floor to increase throughput by reducing overall downtime. Here are some common causes of downtime. Walk me through how you would get started on evaluating the situation, okay? Remember: You can ask me anything you need to know or about anything you don't understand."

In fairness, being compatible with your coworkers on a personality level is probably at least as important as being competent for keeping the office running smoothly, but god almighty, show some loving curiosity toward the subject if you're applying for a position. Maybe it was deer-in-headlights, but if so, it was a pretty bad case.

At my last company this one girl we interviewed couldn't answer most of our basic questions (really not hard ones, just basic "what does this JavaScript function do?" kinda things) and then after the fourth or fifth question went "wowwww you guys are really smart!" and we just sort of looked at each other and sighed and wished her better luck next time

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Its interesting that there are still The Sting-style conmen out there putting in the hard work to take people's money. Compared to the money order scammers, payday loaners and kickstarter frauds I'd almost say they deserve it.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 15, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
No-one should go to a games school to learn coding. A regular CS degree is just fine and allows you to move into a regular company at 30 when you realize you want to see your kids occasionally.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

ate all the Oreos posted:

Nah if you got a degree in videogames most serious programming places will roll their eyes at you without any other experience. The "best" way to get into videogames is to go back in time 20 years to when there were way more studios and EA / Ubisoft hadn't destroyed everything get a CS degree so you have something to fall back on that's not a joke once you get burnt out making a pittance working in EA's sports game mine and watching your lifelong love of gaming evaporate before your eyes. You can always make games in your free time anyway.

I personally know Full Sail graduates that left the gaming industry for better programming jobs without any issues. Maybe it depends on your actual skills as a programmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

That can't be a true story. This reads like something written purely for internet theater purposes.

• Locked thread