Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

That's one small moment, and the movie is specifically making a reference there. I wouldn't exactly call it stealing. Aside from that the entire premise and plot is extremely original.

Yeah, if anything, the movie is original to the point of being off-putting to general audiences. My friends really enjoy horror movie, but I'm hesitant to show it to them since it's just so drat weird...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

coyo7e posted:

You're going to claim that the box the kid puts his hand into, AND the lesson he learns from it, are not entirely stolen?

Considering the bar they hang out at is called Dune's Cantina I think it falls under the homage clause.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, if anything, the movie is original to the point of being off-putting to general audiences. My friends really enjoy horror movie, but I'm hesitant to show it to them since it's just so drat weird...

I think most people, at least horror fans, should be able to handle it if only because everything is pretty neatly explained towards the very end. Its not like, for instance Baskin, where it would be pretty easy to be sitting there during the credits going "what the gently caress was even happening in this movie?"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Basebf555 posted:

I think most people, at least horror fans, should be able to handle it if only because everything is pretty neatly explained towards the very end. Its not like, for instance Baskin, where it would be pretty easy to be sitting there during the credits going "what the gently caress was even happening in this movie?"

That perfectly describes my experience last night watching Baskin. It felt like an adaptation of something that left out too many key details. Pun intended.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

That perfectly describes my experience last night watching Baskin. It felt like an adaptation of something that left out too many key details. Pun intended.

I absolutely loved the movie, and I still do, but I've seen it twice now and I wouldn't really be able to give you a definitive answer to what actually happened.

I kinda like that though, I certainly have my own theory but its all mostly guesswork. Keyman says at one point towards the end something to the effect of "hell is inside every one of us", and I think that may be the most literal interpretation of whats happening. And based on the conversations at the diner(clearly taking place inside the rookie's head)between the older officer and the rookie, I think you can make the leap that this particular hell that we're witnessing is inside the mind of this one specific guy(the rookie). I haven't come up with anything for the question of what's causing it and what "hell" is supposed to mean in this specific context.

I think movies like opaque movies like Baskin that are entertaining based on style alone are fun because it leads to lots of thought and discussion afterwards. Its definitely stuck with me, I had it on my mind for days.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

coyo7e posted:

I don't really feel that Phantasm has aged as well as Hellraiser. Some of the early Hellraiser sequels were absolutely ludicrous, but honestly if you get into the mythology, it's worth watching all - how many is it now? Seven? Eight? A couple of the newest ones were pretty good iirc, and HellRaiser In Spaaaaaaace was rad because of how far back it delves into the history of the puzzle box and its origins.

Most of what I recall about Phantasm is that big tall dude chasing a little kid around while looming menacingly.. I guess it plays better to kids because Tall Man is basically what Slenderman seems to have come from. I mean the bit with the gom jabber was kinda original at the time but it's still derivative as hell.

Phantasm's definitely made in 1979 and that's part of why it's so great. It really could not have been made at any other time in film history.

And Phantasm's not very derivative, it takes some things from Dune but it goes loving hog wild with a lot of its other ideas and feels like a unique film. Give it a rewatch sometime, and with the 4K version out now there's no better time.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Does anyone have any recommendations for me, based on a few movies I watched recently?

The VVitch
Green Room (I've seen Blue Ruin, awesome movie)
10 Cloverfield Lane
Place Beyond The Pines
Sicario, Cartel Land, Savages
The Shallows

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for me, based on a few movies I watched recently?

The VVitch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Place Beyond The Pines
The Shallows

You probably have seen this, but what about It Follows?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

The VVitch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Place Beyond The Pines
The Shallows

Check out The Invitation or The Neon Demon. And if you're willing to go to the theater, you'd probably dig on Don't Breathe.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

The VVitch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Place Beyond The Pines
The Shallows

I dunno if it's streaming anywhere (I wanna say Fandor had it for a bit? It also comes and goes on Netflix) but check out Drive. Without Drive, I don't think Blue Ruin/Green Room would exist, period.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Is The Siege of Jadotville any good? I remember the trailer looking alright.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I just watched it.

Felt like it could very a long episode of Band of Brothers or something, decent cast, some good battle action and being based on a real event means there is a bit of awe to the story.
Here is a pretty good scene from the movie, not really a spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEJynHP8Ybw The two rival commanders meet in a bar for a conversation.

I'd like to see Netflix make more movies like this, as they seem to like movies involving war in Africa but I don't think you can directly compare this to Beasts of No Nation. That's in another league entirety.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 12, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's crazy that Beasts of No Nation didn't generate more buzz. I think it's by far the best thing Netflix has ever produced (excluding some of their documentaries).

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PTizzle posted:

Is The Siege of Jadotville any good? I remember the trailer looking alright.

It's competently made, but doesn't do much with the story beyond a straightforward retelling of events. Reading the Wikipedia article on the siege and imagining how it would play out on screen was more compelling than the film itself.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

The VVitch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Place Beyond The Pines
The Shallows

If you have Shudder, might as well finish up Saulnier's filmography and watch Murder Party. It's rough around the edges, but still interesting enough to watch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's crazy that Beasts of No Nation didn't generate more buzz. I think it's by far the best thing Netflix has ever produced (excluding some of their documentaries).

It's great, but it's probably too shatteringly bleak for most people. Same reason 20 Feet From Stardom beat The Act of Killing for best documentary at the Oscars.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Sicario

Traffic, if you haven't seen it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you have Shudder, might as well finish up Saulnier's filmography and watch Murder Party. It's rough around the edges, but still interesting enough to watch.

It's also insanely gory. It legit made me cringe more than Green Room did, if only because it lingers on stuff a lot longer (Macon Blair getting the mask melted into his face and peeling chunks of his own face off with the mask is honest-to-God one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in a horror movie).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cop Car is on HBO Go/Now.

Everyone watch Cop Car. Aside from the two kids being kids and thus terrible actors, it's a loving amazing film, especially from a directing standpoint.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

Cop Car is on HBO Go/Now.

Everyone watch Cop Car. Aside from the two kids being kids and thus terrible actors, it's a loving amazing film, especially from a directing standpoint.

Warning: It's cropped from 2.39:1 to about 1.85:1/1.77:1

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Warning: It's cropped from 2.39:1 to about 1.85:1/1.77:1

It seems like a significant majority of stuff on HBO that isn't naturally 16:9 is cut down to it, which is really disappointing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's really annoying because HBO is the only one that does it. Like at least make it an option on the streaming service, come on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The new Shout Factory thing is a pain- I subscribed to it through Amazon, only to find out that the 360 Amazon Prime app doesn't support it as one of the subscribed channels you can stream from.

I suppose I should get a Roku or an Apple TV or something but some services only support one or the other because this poo poo has to be as complicated as possible.

Edit: on a related note does anyone know if the Criterions on Hulu will vanish in a few days because of Filmstruck or do they have some contract that has to expire? Like it's sort of launched now and they're still available so I'm wondering when that happens.

(I'm going to hold off on Filmstruck until I have something I can stream to TV from).

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 14, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the Criterion stuff leaves Hulu sometime in November.

I've been considering on getting a Chromecast for Filmstruck, but I kinda hate the idea of my remote being my phone or tablet.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

It's really annoying because HBO is the only one that does it. Like at least make it an option on the streaming service, come on.

It's baffling which ones end up being modified. HBO has Mad Max: Fury Road cropped to 16:9 while allowing Spy its original 2.35:1.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

God, I thought the days of aspect ratios being hosed with was over. Remind me never to use HBO Go.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Spatulater bro! posted:

God, I thought the days of aspect ratios being hosed with was over.

Nope - it just moved away from the stupid-but-understandable standard of old square TVs to the somehow even more preposterously stupid standard of new rectangular TVs.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cropping made some sense when TVs were almost square. Using black bars to put a 2.35:1 movie on a 4:3 screen costs you almost half the screen space, and TVs tended to be smaller then as well. Putting those black bars on a 16:9 screen costs you only a quarter of it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Cropping made some sense when TVs were almost square.

It made sense from a geometric perspective, but as a cinephile it infuriated me :) I was one of those militant pro-OAR advocates back when DVD was brand new and almost every big new release came in separate "Fullscreen" and "Widescreen" editions.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I remember when my grandmother got me a fullscreen version of Predator for Christmas. Boy was I pissed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

It made sense from a geometric perspective, but as a cinephile it infuriated me :) I was one of those militant pro-OAR advocates back when DVD was brand new and almost every big new release came in separate "Fullscreen" and "Widescreen" editions.

Oh, I agree, I only bought widescreen DVDs, but I can appreciate that it was a hard sell for a cable channel to force everybody to give up half their 16" set. Just saying there's even less excuse now.

Particularly since the other movie channels are better about it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed Don't Blink on Netflix. Nobody else did, and I think it's because of the ending. Or rather the lack of one. No answers, no exposition, no reason for the "monster" to be doing what "it" did. People eat up horror movies with characters who find out the monster's motivations via some clumsy exposition like finding a book or being warned by Mr./Mrs. Exposition, but I think that's often lazy writing. I liked having as few answers as the protagonists. They reacted realistically for the most part, which is to say full blown panic in the face of their helplessness and their worst personality traits coming out. This wasn't some monster movie where the main characters, after finding out that a vengeful ghost was coming after them, suddenly became brave soldiers who find out how to defeat the evil and execute their plan perfectly. I think you can have a horror movie where nothing is explained. No one is going to like it except for me, I guess, but you can have it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

I remember when my grandmother got me a fullscreen version of Predator for Christmas. Boy was I pissed.

The irony being that Predator is open-matte. :v:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nah, nothing ironic about it. An incorrectly formatted picture is an incorrectly formatted picture. AHH, here I go with my OAR diatribing again.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9D6YHWJpmg&t=24s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nah, nothing ironic about it. An incorrectly formatted picture is an incorrectly formatted picture. AHH, here I go with my OAR diatribing again.

Still, it's incorrectly formatted in a way in which you lose nothing. I'll take OAR over both, but I care somewhat less when it's open-matte than when it's P&S.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

American Horror Story sure is edgy .

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

veni veni veni posted:

American Horror Story sure is edgy .

Is this in reference to the new season, because I'm watching it for the first time because I can't pass up the ultimate main streaming of found footage, but that does not sound promising (I'm like 2 episodes behind).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No it's the newest one on Netflix. They are all pretty edgy but this one takes the cake.

From what I've seen of the current season it's toned down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DeimosRising posted:

Is this in reference to the new season, because I'm watching it for the first time because I can't pass up the ultimate main streaming of found footage, but that does not sound promising (I'm like 2 episodes behind).

It's a hard show to defend to begin with, and even harder because the redeeming qualities of each season (if any) are completely different from the redeeming qualities of every other season.