Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

D34THROW posted:

Today, my OfficeJet Pro 8600. It's taken a particular love of making me scan and rescan poo poo to send to customers, always eating one particular corner faster than another in the ADF and jacking up the scan.

Stop. It. :toughguy:

The officejet line should not actually ever be used in an office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

D34THROW posted:

Today, my OfficeJet Pro 8600. It's taken a particular love of making me scan and rescan poo poo to send to customers, always eating one particular corner faster than another in the ADF and jacking up the scan.

Have you tried taking a picture printing it and scanning it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Those inkjet all-in-ones are total garbage

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
EDIT: Wrong thread!

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 14, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Motherfucking VOIP providers. I shouldn't have to call and effectively threaten the NOC techs multiple times a day just to get an update on a sev 1 loving ticket we've had open for ALMOST A MONTH NOW.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Great one from today.

Manager pulls me into her office and shuts the door and tells me that my tech is in deep poo poo. He called out last Thursday (well, texted out, which is explicitly a no-no in the policy manual), claiming too much going on with Matthew coming and whatnot.

Monday morning, manager talks to him about it and he makes lovely comments under his breath. Then in comes a long-time maintenance customer, who says he was out on Thursday to close her shutters and it was a "bitch of a time" for them getting them shut and can they really get that bad in just 2 1/2 months? Well, yes, the tracks can get all sorts of crap in them in that time frame.

Wait a minute...Thursday...the same Thursday he had too much going on with his pregnant girlfriend and son to come in, do 2 estimates, and help take down the awning from the front of our building (a 4-man job)? :allears:

Then she calls back and asks for us to please get her keys from him. Which my manager does...and he asks why the gently caress we need her keys or some stupid poo poo like that. And when he gives them to her, he makes MORE under-breath lovely comments.

This is gonna be fuckin' good. And leave me techless. :suspense:

Computers?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if you replace 'shutters' with 'cd-rom drive' it begins to make some sense?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Inspector_666 posted:

Motherfucking VOIP providers. I shouldn't have to call and effectively threaten the NOC techs multiple times a day just to get an update on a sev 1 loving ticket we've had open for ALMOST A MONTH NOW.

I had a ticket opened with At&t last month about a problem verified to be on their end. They closed the ticket that day with a bullshit reason but I just found out yesterday. So I've been waiting for a call that would never come and didn't know it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I watched Shazam/Isis too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Had a ticket in to meraki support, it was just closed with "functioning as intended"

:argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

Some VoIP providers are obviously old-school telecoms dudes who decided to move into this new-fangled Internet voice thing. Those providers should be avoided.

The Fool posted:

Had a ticket in to meraki support, it was just closed with "functioning as intended"

:argh:

Hey man chill they totally disrupted enterprise networking so why are you expecting them to support you like the big guys?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Some VoIP providers are obviously old-school telecoms dudes who decided to move into this new-fangled Internet voice thing. Those providers should be avoided.

My boss came from old school telecom and it took a few years to get him to adapt. We hired a few sales guys from telecom companies early on and that did not go well. They had a knack for finding places in the middle of nowhere who had cobbled together networks and a DSL connection running on little more than two cans and a string.

The best people I've ever had on the tech side are people who learned networking through online games. Good VoIP and good gaming need pretty much the same things.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

Hey man chill they totally disrupted enterprise networking so why are you expecting them to support you like the big guys?

Are they even distinct from Cisco anymore?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

milk milk lemonade posted:

Are they even distinct from Cisco anymore?

Yes, because they figured out how to do what Cisco never could, which is not just rape you every year for the support costs but choke you at the same time by making the device actually brick itself if you don't pay.

I mean we use Meraki gear, but it's poo poo that pisses me off.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I loving hate Meraki except for MDM purposes

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Their model is to be pretty loving expensive up-front as well as pretty loving expensive as an ongoing cost. Yet they are also doing quite well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm at a remote site for a few days. The old site manager was a hoarder so one of my tasks is to sort out what IT kit is worth keeping. Highlights include:

Dunno if I can bring myself to throw out this old fellow

I might have some hoarder genes, but I have a T1000SE and I'm not throwing it out ever. I'm getting one of those metal/glass display cabinets when I'm moving next, guess where the T1000SE is going.

I guess what I'm saying is: Don't throw it out. Those old things are pretty neat for what they are.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Bigass Moth posted:

I had a ticket opened with At&t last month about a problem verified to be on their end. They closed the ticket that day with a bullshit reason but I just found out yesterday. So I've been waiting for a call that would never come and didn't know it.

Oh man, I've got one open with AT&T right now. None of my trunks can call any Verizon number. Definitely on AT&T's end. It's been 8 hours. I've called about 5 or 6 times asking for an update. Nothing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pissing me off: doing a production code migration for a client. I'm a systems guy, but since the migration includes updating one package, via rpm, I have to be here. The person actually running all the tasks is a half hour late. Fantastic way to spend a Friday night.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Pissing me off: doing a production code migration for a client. I'm a systems guy, but since the migration includes updating one package, via rpm, I have to be here. The person actually running all the tasks is a half hour late. Fantastic way to spend a Friday night.

Murder

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Seriously.

Oh so they started the migration, but didn't turn off their nightly maintenance jobs. Since it's a weekend, it includes a full stop of all the services, log clean up, cache clear, and a restart, so if I hadn't caught that all the processes would have started in the middle of their migration likely corrupting the database they were copying, also I happened to have the lady open a backup log, and found their backups were failing.

This is a server that is 100% production and I have no access to, and they apparently don't monitor if, you know, their production database is being backed up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Also, since I"m sitting here, they also made me write a script that validates all the files in a directory on two servers, and check if they are all the same.

It ssh' into to files, lists the contents of both, diffs the list, and then for files that are in both it md5sums them, and if they are in one but not the other it tells you that. It's awful and I hate it.

But I did make the output red and green if it's ok or not.

They just ran it, and I forgot I wrote it like 18 months ago, and I remembered that nightmare week when they kept asking for it and I kept telling them no, and my manager made me do it because he thought it was such a bad idea, it wrapped around to so comical he wanted a client to have it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

My boss came from old school telecom and it took a few years to get him to adapt. We hired a few sales guys from telecom companies early on and that did not go well. They had a knack for finding places in the middle of nowhere who had cobbled together networks and a DSL connection running on little more than two cans and a string.

The best people I've ever had on the tech side are people who learned networking through online games. Good VoIP and good gaming need pretty much the same things.

So, that counts me playing UT 2004 over a turbo parallel cable then?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wibla posted:

I might have some hoarder genes, but I have a T1000SE and I'm not throwing it out ever. I'm getting one of those metal/glass display cabinets when I'm moving next, guess where the T1000SE is going.

I guess what I'm saying is: Don't throw it out. Those old things are pretty neat for what they are.

I ended up putting it in the 'keep' pile :shobon:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also, since I"m sitting here, they also made me write a script that validates all the files in a directory on two servers, and check if they are all the same.

It ssh' into to files, lists the contents of both, diffs the list, and then for files that are in both it md5sums them, and if they are in one but not the other it tells you that. It's awful and I hate it.

But I did make the output red and green if it's ok or not.

They just ran it, and I forgot I wrote it like 18 months ago, and I remembered that nightmare week when they kept asking for it and I kept telling them no, and my manager made me do it because he thought it was such a bad idea, it wrapped around to so comical he wanted a client to have it.

Rsync?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The migration is done with rsync, but they specifically wanted a script that validates the files. It's bizarre. I'll copy pasta it later.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The migration is done with rsync, but they specifically wanted a script that validates the files. It's bizarre. I'll copy pasta it later.

Run rsync again with -n (dry run), maybe force it to do CRC checks for everything. It would do that. Not that I can't imagine the people you're working with being dumb enough to demand another tool, though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Found out today that a server we RDP into for device management at our DR site can only have 2 people signed into at the same time. 364 days of year, not a problem. The one day we need 6 people signed into it at the same time, huge problem.
It was a nice cherry on the poo poo sundae of this day.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unless you set it up as a terminal server (with the appropriate licensing) every Windows server has a limit of two simultaneous rdp sessions.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I'm assuming by device management you probably some sort of non-native Windows applications, but if you don't and you need server management tools then use RSAT!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Come in to key service being down on a physical machine, monitoring is disabled for this on weekends because reasons (open maintenance window since its internal). It's not responding to RDP so not like we would have done anything beyond me coming in earlier. I open the server room door to figure out what the hell is going on and am hit with a terrible smell. No it's not fried silicon paint thinner is dripping from the ceiling. lovely.

It's nowhere near the server, server is up and running happily, the NIC decided it wanted to stop sending packets or something. Reboot fixed it after checking services and everything that should be running was.

I'm going to see if we can get the several hundred gallon drum of liquid above the server room moved since that needs to be repaired. This could have been much much worse.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr. Fix It posted:

Run rsync again with -n (dry run), maybe force it to do CRC checks for everything. It would do that. Not that I can't imagine the people you're working with being dumb enough to demand another tool, though.

They basically sent me an email with really specific requirements:

"We want a script that we can run that goes through two directories on two different servers and validates the contents of the directories on each server, it needs to report if something is missing or extra from each side and then validate any files in both directories are the same."

I specifically wrote a script that does exactly that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Still sounds like an rsync -n to me. :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Still sounds like an rsync -n to me. :v:

I don't think that will output any files that it's not going to move over, as in if it was perfectly aligned (which it will always be after the actual rsync), it will just output nothing.

I told them this, but they specifically want it to list all the good files (and the status on each server) and then list all the missing or extra files.

Just to be clear, I get this is madness, but they just love this sort of weird stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, any sysadmin has been there. User says they "want everything" and you try to tell them that everything will be so much data that the output is useless, but nope, they want you to press on.

So you generate the output and either the project dies there, or they respond "ok but can you filter out X?"

:fuckoff:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

OK who's got a recommendation for web conferencing software that doesn't require admin rights to host a meeting? Alternatively, since they all seem to, what should I be using for up to 100 attendees that isn't Webex or Gotomeeting?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

OK who's got a recommendation for web conferencing software that doesn't require admin rights to host a meeting? Alternatively, since they all seem to, what should I be using for up to 100 attendees that isn't Webex or Gotomeeting?

Skype for business :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Yeah, any sysadmin has been there. User says they "want everything" and you try to tell them that everything will be so much data that the output is useless, but nope, they want you to press on.

So you generate the output and either the project dies there, or they respond "ok but can you filter out X?"

:fuckoff:

I made the output red or green and blink if it's bad, but for some reason the blinking didn't work on their servers, so I took it out. They love it being in color.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

OK who's got a recommendation for web conferencing software that doesn't require admin rights to host a meeting?

Google Hangouts works fine for small numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sheep posted:

Google Hangouts works fine for small numbers.

Google is pushing that as their business option.