Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's really all over the place and at it's best it's still completely embarrassing to watch. The better seasons (1-2) are incredibly drat entertaining though. 3 and 4 are borderline unwatchable and I'm not caught up on 5 and 6.

What is with this show and really horrible disgusting rape scenes :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I still think season 1 is really good. It's because it stuck with the original idea of the season. It was about a family trying to stay together. All the other stuff was a big part of it but it came back to a family trying to make it work. The problem with the later seasons is that they get to caught up in their own lore and lose sight of the original idea. Next thing you know there are 10 different stories from 10 different genres going on and none of them get wrapped up. They can't just stick to an idea and see it to its logical conclusion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Ryan Murphy.

e: seriously, dude is by all appearances a horrific misogynist (going off AHS and Nip/Tuck) and just seemingly gets a total pass on it from everyone.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 15, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's really all over the place and at it's best it's still completely embarrassing to watch. The better seasons (1-2) are incredibly drat entertaining though. 3 and 4 are borderline unwatchable and I'm not caught up on 5 and 6.

Are you watching 4 or 5 right now?

I liked 2 a lot, didn't watch 3, but 4 made me angry in ways that a loving television show should not be making me angry, it was just god ding dong drat rootin' tootin' horse poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watching 5 right now. I couldn't even finish 3 or 4, now that I remember but I made it about 80% of both.

Season 2 was ridiculously entertaining.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

veni veni veni posted:

Watching 5 right now. I couldn't even finish 3 or 4, now that I remember but I made it about 80% of both.

Season 2 was ridiculously entertaining.

Season 1 was good, Season 2 was a big shift but in a pretty good way. Then the rest of the seasons have been kind of a shitshow. Coven was just too woo woo, Freak Show just got overly mean for no reason, and now I'm halfway through Hotel and I have no idea what's going on or why I should care about any of the characters. They have storylines/themes that SHOULD have potential (vampires, Howard Hughes-ish murder-hotel, cop/serial-killer mystery), but none of them fit in any way that makes sense. It's just become a "hey lets throw in a bunch of gore and sex, but lets also leave out anything substantial so these scenes have no real tension to them". And also the hamfisted aping of Se7en.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched Season 1, but I couldn't stand it by the end. The incessant Dracula theme and the inconsistent tone just drove me nuts by the end. An anthology series with recurring actors from season to season in different roles is a cool idea, but meh.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I really like the show's campiness, but yeah. I keep hoping they'll return to Season 2 form and end up disappointed every time because they just go toooo faaaaar into edgelord territory. I actually liked Season 3 (but that's because I like witches and I found the plot kind of fun), but Season 4 was just so drat offensive. Season 5 writing seems pretty bad so far.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think that AHS may be on its last legs considering how cheap and (comparatively) subdued the current season and it's frame story are. Between that and the fact that they're no longer taking a break for Chritmas because they can't afford losing viewers I imagine the show might not be long for this world.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What did season 4 do that put it on a mean streak? I don't remember much about it. It's kind of a blur of that clown and that weird dance number for me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Siege of Jadotville is on Netflix now. It's a ludicrous white power fantasy and based on true events in the 60s. Also it's a ripping good soldiers shooting mans movie

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Siege of Jadotville is on Netflix now. It's a ludicrous white power fantasy and based on true events in the 60s. Also it's a ripping good soldiers shooting mans movie

I watched the obligatory 30 minute setup last night, so now I'm ready to enjoy the shooting part.

The cinematography is weirdly flat so far, and the exposition might as well emit a creaking sound. But Jamie Dornan is fun enough, and born to wear a 70's stache.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

What did season 4 do that put it on a mean streak? I don't remember much about it. It's kind of a blur of that clown and that weird dance number for me.

After thinking about it for a bit just now, I might have to scale back on calling it offensive. I mainly took issue with the subplot of the con artists and how they conspired together to sell freak corpses to the museum. I thought that was gross, and started to think that maybe campy horror isn't the best way to present disability (even if they tried to celebrate it from the POVs of the circus performers). Also that Dandy killed nearly all of the circus performers was a minus for me. I ended up hatewatching the entire season, though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Whatever had the Witches and underused Kathy Bates was the most frustrating lovely tv I ever hate watched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah coven was by far the worst.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Haha oh well v :) v

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The_Rob posted:

I still think season 1 is really good. It's because it stuck with the original idea of the season. It was about a family trying to stay together. All the other stuff was a big part of it but it came back to a family trying to make it work. The problem with the later seasons is that they get to caught up in their own lore and lose sight of the original idea. Next thing you know there are 10 different stories from 10 different genres going on and none of them get wrapped up. They can't just stick to an idea and see it to its logical conclusion.

This is exactly why I couldn't get into it, just waaaay too much going on. It was a total clusterfuck.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The narrative ADD is what appeals to me about the show, I cannot imagine binging it because it would probably give you a pretty serious headache.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The narrative ADD is what appeals to me about the show, I cannot imagine binging it because it would probably give you a pretty serious headache.

My wife and brother in law watched through the show while he was living with us, and while I wasn't all that interested I was impressed by the sheer audacity of the thing. Definitely not afraid to throw anything and everything at the wall and see what sticks, nor to ditch ideas summarily if they aren't working out. Unfortunately that means they never really run with some of the better but more difficult ideas, like the vampire kids in Hotel (should have gone full Zero Hour with it)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

Whatever had the Witches and underused Kathy Bates was the most frustrating lovely tv I ever hate watched.

Coven was the most boring, but Freakshow was actively terrible.

It's like if Coven were The Eagles, Freakshow would be Insane Clown Posse. Literally.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Siege of Jadotville is pretty solid. It's a refreshing change of pace from Vietnam and World War 2 movies.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

Coven was the most boring, but Freakshow was actively terrible.

It's like if Coven were The Eagles, Freakshow would be Insane Clown Posse. Literally.

I watched Asylum, it was inspired. I've tried to watch the other seasons and i can't get into them.

Seriously, serial killer+demonic possession+ nazi doctor+prescient social issues+loving alien abductions, i was surprised by almost every episode

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ryan Murphy.

e: seriously, dude is by all appearances a horrific misogynist (going off AHS and Nip/Tuck) and just seemingly gets a total pass on it from everyone.

Ryan Murphy mostly gets a pass on misogyny since he also made Glee. Also Nip/Tuck was decent through the third season and terrible from the fourth on, but I'm not sure I'd even call misogyny on any of that. The two main characters definitely are, but the show spends most of the first two seasons punishing them for being egotistical dicks. Julia sacrificed her career to help her husband start his and she hates both herself and him for it, Kimber's a victim of an industry that values youth, and Sean and Christian are good surgeons and bad at pretty much everything else.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The only good thing about Nip/Tuck was that the son was the most pathetic character in any TV show ever and every time he hit a new rock bottom you knew he was going to keep digging until he reached China

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Keanu and The Nice Guys are part of a 99c rental weekend sale on Amazon Prime until end of day and they're both worth that and a whole lot more.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Over the weekend, I watched Don't Blink. It was pretty fun, I gave it four stars. (I refuse to give anything three stars... it's either better than I expected, or worse than I expected, or amazing or godawful.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
FilmStruck sent out an e-mail saying launch has been pushed into November.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new Christopher Guest "direct to Netflix" film, Mascots, is up now.

It's a very Christopher Guest film. I'd rate it, in terms of quality, above Waiting for Guffman but below Best in Show. As far as tone and subject matter it's obviously a lot similar to Best in Show because it's also about a convention/competition situation.

Sadly enough, for once, Parker Posey wasn't one of the best parts of the film for me. Her character just didn't really land, imo. :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

precision posted:

The new Christopher Guest "direct to Netflix" film, Mascots, is up now.

It's a very Christopher Guest film. I'd rate it, in terms of quality, above Waiting for Guffman but below Best in Show. As far as tone and subject matter it's obviously a lot similar to Best in Show because it's also about a convention/competition situation.

Sadly enough, for once, Parker Posey wasn't one of the best parts of the film for me. Her character just didn't really land, imo. :(

It definitely stuck to the Christopher Guest formula, with the same cast playing unique characters preparing for a big event. It's hard for me to even rank his movies, but this one was a strong entry. It looks like they probably did the Netflix thing of "film all the character's parts separately with very little overlapping screentime", but it works because that's pretty much how all Guest films were.

I agree about Parker Posey. I always liked her in all the movies and her character wasn't great.

The real shame is that Netflix somehow released this apparently without getting the rights to any other Christopher Guest movies, or even Spinal Tap. That wasn't a good move.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

It definitely stuck to the Christopher Guest formula, with the same cast playing unique characters preparing for a big event. It's hard for me to even rank his movies, but this one was a strong entry. It looks like they probably did the Netflix thing of "film all the character's parts separately with very little overlapping screentime", but it works because that's pretty much how all Guest films were.

I agree about Parker Posey. I always liked her in all the movies and her character wasn't great.

The real shame is that Netflix somehow released this apparently without getting the rights to any other Christopher Guest movies, or even Spinal Tap. That wasn't a good move.

Yeah, more people need to see A Mighty Wind, I love that movie.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, more people need to see A Mighty Wind, I love that movie.

I love this movie so much :')

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Inspector Hound posted:

I watched Asylum, it was inspired. I've tried to watch the other seasons and i can't get into them.

Seriously, serial killer+demonic possession+ nazi doctor+prescient social issues+loving alien abductions, i was surprised by almost every episode
I thought the demonic possession+alien abductions to ruin the second season as both just felt like it allows for easy plot escapes and for no resolution. They also were way less interesting than any other element of that season yet got the most time.

If it gets worse after season 2, then I think I'm going to give the rest of the show a pass, which is disappointing as I did enjoy the first season.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Honestly it's (still) really worth watching because the cast only gets better and more robust as the show goes on, and its fun to see them try to act out of whatever kinds of lovely holes in which their characters are written. For example, even though Freakshow is (almost) as bad as Coven, imo, it's almost redeemed because of Finn Wittrock & John Carroll Lynch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought Chiklis was funny as well.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Totally forgot he was in that season, too!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inspector Hound posted:

I think you described 3/4 of the seasons of AHS right there

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay I need stuff that's on Amazon Prime to watch while engaged in the tedious activity of aerobic exercise. Amazon Prime specifically because it's the only one that lets you download and watch, because I can't get wifi where I work out (first world problems).

Movies of any genre, series, whatever you recommend.

I've watched Man in the High Castle. I started watching Alpha House but kind of lost interest after a few episodes. I've watched a few episodes of Veep and that seems about my speed. I've already seen the Sopranos and The Wire.

Tell me if Mr. Robot (the USA network series) is any good.

A lot of stuff on Prime that I'd be interested in are things I've already seen. I'm trying to make myself watch new things.

Since it's not too hard to download stuff off YouTube, any good movie recommendations that are there would be appreciated as well.

Any good TV series, especially with one hour episodes, would be ideal as I could do one episode with each workout.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Okay I need stuff that's on Amazon Prime to watch while engaged in the tedious activity of aerobic exercise. Amazon Prime specifically because it's the only one that lets you download and watch, because I can't get wifi where I work out (first world problems).

Movies of any genre, series, whatever you recommend.

I've watched Man in the High Castle. I started watching Alpha House but kind of lost interest after a few episodes. I've watched a few episodes of Veep and that seems about my speed. I've already seen the Sopranos and The Wire.

Tell me if Mr. Robot (the USA network series) is any good.

A lot of stuff on Prime that I'd be interested in are things I've already seen. I'm trying to make myself watch new things.

Since it's not too hard to download stuff off YouTube, any good movie recommendations that are there would be appreciated as well.

Any good TV series, especially with one hour episodes, would be ideal as I could do one episode with each workout.

I'm at home sick and have been getting through Red oaks and mad dogs which are both pretty good. Red oaks is a half hour story about a guy working at a country club in the 80s and is pretty funny, mad dogs is about a bunch of guys who get invited to their friend's mansion in Belize and things go a little crazy when the friend borrows a boat. These should get you through a few workouts.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

fliptophead posted:

I'm at home sick and have been getting through Red oaks and mad dogs which are both pretty good. Red oaks is a half hour story about a guy working at a country club in the 80s and is pretty funny, mad dogs is about a bunch of guys who get invited to their friend's mansion in Belize and things go a little crazy when the friend borrows a boat. These should get you through a few workouts.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fliptophead posted:

I forgot about Red Oaks coming out, gonna watch that tonight.