Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

BKV was also show runner for Under the Dome, the one show I hatewatched. I do not recommend it and I don't think BKV does either.

I watched the first two or three episodes, tried to give it a fair chance, but just couldn't get into it. Sounds like I made a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't like that Negasonic Teenage Warhead's shaved head comes from experimentation in Mercs for Money. It takes away the agency and appeal of a strong female character willingly choosing to have hair like that.

Also, Voodoo Lou, have you ever considered changing your name to Loudoo Voo?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rosy Press is shutting down and Janelle Asselin is leaving comics. It sucks really badly.

Yvonmukluk posted:

well, Peter David has apologised for his statement.

It is a legit good apology but I feel this takes an uncomfortable swerve towards "dude is irrational" but at the same time, there really isn't anything David can do to make editorial reach out to this guy. Same for Coates

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't it Chuck Dixon that said some really gross poo poo about gay people? Or am I mixing him up with Chuck Austen?

Dixon had a meltdown about DADT being repealed. He's a pretty big chickenhawk in general.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Considering my intro to Luke Cage as a kid was that weird early 90's series where he fights somebody with extremely similar powers and fucks Dakota North (I think) and it wasn't a turnoff, sounds good enough to me.

Yeah, that Marcus McLaurin series where Luke had discovered Public Enemy and decided Flava Flav was his fave so he was gonna call everybody boyee? I think it's a better comic than most people remember, mostly because people act like it was absolute garbage when I remember it being ok. The logo looked like Cable's, but this comic came first. They're both obviously by way of X-Men though. Also, Dwayne Turner's art was pretty good but I think he got replaced quickly by a bunch of those early 90s scratchy artists who were trying to be Sam Kieth and Liefeld at the same time. I was going to say that "Hardcore, the mirror match guy will probably show up in season 2 considering how much MCU stuff loves mirror villains" but the Netflix shows have been really good about not doing that. Although there's Steel Serpent, but he's cool so I'll allow it. Steel Serpent will also probably be how that show does it's racial message, which it's absolutely going to do.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 13, 2016

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The original Power Man is actually pretty good, and it sucks that people just remember it for "where's my money, honey?", and Power Man and Iron Fist is extremely good in every way I like my bronze age superhero comics to be. I love that entire run a lot.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

BKV was also show runner for Under the Dome, the one show I hatewatched. I do not recommend it and I don't think BKV does either.

I thought he was only actually involved with like the first episode.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

redbackground posted:

thought he was only actually involved with like the first episode.
This is all hearsay from an interview show I went to in the basement of a Brooklyn bar, but BKV was involved (unhappily so) through the length of the first season of Under the Dome, but there were so many Notes on the show that Notes doesn't even do the revisions justice. Apparently the breaking point was that the writers' room wanted to kill off [Lead Character #1] in the season finale, and the network refused, but told them they could kill off [Lead Character #2], which even though that wasn't their plan, they reconvened and came up with a finale they could live with that involved killing off LC#2.

Then after filming began on the finale, the network came back and decided LC#2 was too important, and they couldn't die. They rewrote a finale where all of the characters survived more or less as the finale was filming.

Then after the episode came in, the network sat the writers' room down and said they were very disappointed in the finale. Where was the big moment that would get everyone buzzing for season 2? Where was Under the Dome's "Red Wedding"?

BKV apparently quit shortly after that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, can anyone give me a recommendation?

My sister (who's about 12) is really currently into Harley Quinn. However she's more into the idea of Harley Quinn than the actual character. She didn't like B:TAS Harley much because she though Harley Quinn was sad and depressing instead of cool and I'm not particularly chomping at the bit to give her Sexy Fun Times Harley Quinn Murders The World.

Is there anything particularly good starring Harley Quinn that is generally fun and enjoyable without being too overt in the pandering or having her murder people randomly? (I know my sister well enough to know she'd dislike the latter part.)

There was a Karl Kessel Harley Quinn series from the late 90's. I think it had Ed McGuinness artwork and it was pretty good.
It was light hearted but not overly saccharine. There was no graphic violence from what I can remember.
There is a really great issue thst involves Big Barda being tasked by Batman with stopping Harley from going near the grandfather clock in Wayne Manor that is really funny.

That being said it changed writer/artist about 25-30 issues where it becomes a Noir type crime series and gets pretty dark.

See if you can track down the early issues and make a decision.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This early issues sell for an arm and a leg so the trades are the only real option.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

There was a Karl Kessel Harley Quinn series from the late 90's. I think it had Ed McGuinness artwork and it was pretty good.
It was light hearted but not overly saccharine. There was no graphic violence from what I can remember.

That being said it changed writer/artist about 25-30 issues where it becomes a Noir type crime series and gets pretty dark.

See if you can track down the early issues and make a decision.

I was going to recommend that heartily, as it's one of my favorites, and had the entire Kesel run hardbound long before DC put out trades, but he did mention not wanting to see Harley indiscriminately kill people, and I know of at least one instance where that happens. Also, I wasn't sure if Terry Dodson's highly cheesecake-y sex-ay art was age appropriate. But beyond those issues, I love that run (never bothered with the stuff after #25). There's a lot of great Harley and Ivy (and Jimmy Olsen) moments.

The Question IRL posted:

There is a really great issue thst involves Big Barda being tasked by Batman with stopping Harley from going near the grandfather clock in Wayne Manor that is really funny.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 14, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A quick question for knowledgeable goons: I just finished reading Two Brothers, which is excellent by the way, and I figured my sister in law who is Brazilian might enjoy it. I want to get her a copy but want to get her one in Portuguese. I figure that there would be a Portuguese edition seeing as it was written by Brazilians about Brazil, but Google turns up nothing, so does anyone know if a Portuguese edition was ever released, and if so, how does one get a copy of it in North America?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

A quick question for knowledgeable goons: I just finished reading Two Brothers, which is excellent by the way, and I figured my sister in law who is Brazilian might enjoy it. I want to get her a copy but want to get her one in Portuguese. I figure that there would be a Portuguese edition seeing as it was written by Brazilians about Brazil, but Google turns up nothing, so does anyone know if a Portuguese edition was ever released, and if so, how does one get a copy of it in North America?

The brothers Moon and Ba are relatively active on twitter, you might try and just ask them directly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I can't wait until this election is over so Squizzle will post in BSS again

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why did Squizzle leave us.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

The book (and the one this comic was based on) were originally in portuguese, it was called Dois Irmãos.
Here's the deets:

DOIS IRMÃOS
De Fábio Moon e Gabriel Bá (texto e arte)
[Quadrinhos na Cia/Companhia das Letras, 232 págs, R$ 39,90 / 2015]
ISBN: 978-85-35925-58-6

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Hes posting in the election forum I guess. He's not going to recognize either of us when he gets back :qq:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He never loved us.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thinking about politics and the election in particular gives me :suicide: feels. I can't wait till this is over so I can safely laugh about Hillary Clinton jokes without worrying "holy poo poo what if she loving loses though".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Thinking about politics and the election in particular gives me :suicide: feels. I can't wait till this is over so I can safely laugh about Hillary Clinton jokes without worrying "holy poo poo what if she loving loses though".

You need to have faith, or at least read the issue of Faith meeting Hillary

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

He's gonna come back in November and he's gonna make BSS Great Again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

He's gonna come back in November and he's gonna make BSS Great Again.

You know we're gonna keep the chat thread open and load it up with some bad dudes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I know this has been asked before, but I finally got into the craze of five years ago and made a twitter account. Who are fun/interesting comic folks to follow and also your own twitters? I'm @soonmot

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I pretty much just searched for every creator whose books i like and most everybody has an account because they have to do constant self promotion.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kieron Gillen, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Ryan North, and Chip Zdarsky are all must-follows.

Squirrel Girl actually has a twitter (the tweets at the beginning of an issue are tweets her account actually makes) so you'd be remiss not following her.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I miss the Wolverine and the X-Men twitter accounts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah all the marvel characters who have Twitter featured in books are real so Tony stark, Sam Wilson, Galactus, Howard the duck (though i guess not any more) but they're updated rather infrequently

Luke cage and Jessica Jones have twitter feeds based on the netflix versions and those are actually used by someone I've seen em post just today in fact responding to people

I think the person I've noticed who tweets the most responding to random questions about comic stuff is gail simone

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Follow Seanbaby. Dude talks about comics a lot and is hilarious.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

Yeah all the marvel characters who have Twitter featured in books are real so Tony stark, Sam Wilson, Galactus, Howard the duck (though i guess not any more) but they're updated rather infrequently

Luke cage and Jessica Jones have twitter feeds based on the netflix versions and those are actually used by someone I've seen em post just today in fact responding to people

I think the person I've noticed who tweets the most responding to random questions about comic stuff is gail simone

Gail Simone will hunt down any forum that talks about comics. She was even on HCRealms when she was writing Deadpool/Agent X.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Brian Michael Bendis' twitter is mostly worthless unless you like pre-scheduled uploads of (pretty cool) comic art, but every now and again he'll take a completely reasonable fan question and respond with a single gif off of tumblr, and I never get tired of that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Gail Simone will hunt down any forum that talks about comics. She was even on HCRealms when she was writing Deadpool/Agent X.
She was on here for a minute and got ran off for various reasons including signing her posts.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Huh, I wasn't expecting this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

WickedHate posted:

Huh, I wasn't expecting this.

lol

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, I'm amused, just also surprised.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It could be worse, they could have seen you recommend Seanbaby.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

It could be worse, they could have seen you recommend Seanbaby.

He's made my chest hurt from laughing too much several dozen times, I stand by that. :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

*crosses TFR off of list of forums WickedHate is allowed to post in*

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was curious and learned a casual Q+A chat thread about guns reads pretty creepy to me.

Maybe even more so than one full of grown people talking comics!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was curious and learned a casual Q+A chat thread about guns reads pretty creepy to me.

Maybe even more so than one full of grown people talking comics!

SO far BSS hasn't been the cause of death of anyone. TFR on the other hand...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, i'm addicted to twitter now, this was a mistake.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Try tumblr!

Actually don't, it's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tumblr's only as bad as the people you follow. I much prefer it to any other social media.

• Locked thread