Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, but if you stopped at the demon assault you got all of that and only missed the relatively lame lovely twist ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Demon would make a superb multiplayer game; you'd try to murder each other by killing everyone around them and being the closest to them, but avoiding them doing the same, and you'd never be quite sure which new body they had jumped into.

I'm not sure it holds up so well as a comic though; it's a riot of stuff happening until the stuff ends and you don't really have any feelings either way because it forgot to make the main character someone you can empathise with in any way.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Demon would make a superb multiplayer game; you'd try to murder each other by killing everyone around them and being the closest to them, but avoiding them doing the same, and you'd never be quite sure which new body they had jumped into.

I'm not sure it holds up so well as a comic though; it's a riot of stuff happening until the stuff ends and you don't really have any feelings either way because it forgot to make the main character someone you can empathise with in any way.

Scary to think the ultimate weapon in that scenario is a dwarf in a suitcase.

A thing that happened in it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's someone Jason can empathise with.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's someone Jason can empathise with.

Shiga once said around the end of chapter 5 in the comments section something along the lines of "if you still sympathize with Jimmy at this point there may be something wrong with you"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Shiga once said around the end of chapter 5 in the comments section something along the lines of "if you still sympathize with Jimmy at this point there may be something wrong with you"

Yeah, towards the end even Freddy would have told Jimmy to tone it down a notch. Yeech.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

In Monster Pulse news, dammit Bina, stop being a douche. Dammit, Abel, stop selling yourself sort to yourself all the drat time.

That's one of the things I've found fascinating about MP as it's gone on: how openly lovely of a person Bina has become since the story started without becoming unlikeable or unsypmathetic in any way. Every criticism that people like Violet or West level at her is 100% accurate, and yet she has enough complexity to her that she's still a good (if incredibly damaged) person at heart.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we're on chapter 32 atm

i can't believe things originally took the turn for grisly horrifying (as opposed to cartoon/philosophically) all the way back in chapter loving 4

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Demon is(was) the webcomic equivalent of a long-form Aristocrats joke.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tendales posted:

This guy gets it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

There's a 1 chapter sample available on the site and he's working on print volumes. Plenty of other comic authors do the same thing.

Selling them as books sure, but I haven't encountered a great many who take it down so book form is the ONLY way it's available.

Someone spoil the ending for me?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

khy posted:

Selling them as books sure, but I haven't encountered a great many who take it down so book form is the ONLY way it's available.

everyone dies

khy
Aug 15, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

everyone dies

A masterful summary.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

khy posted:

Nimona is another example of a webcomic where most of it was taken off when it got printed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

khy posted:

The attack on the castle was a ruse so that some of the Sweetpeas could sneak into the lab and hijack the demonizer to demon up the entire population of the planet, neutralizing Hunter's demon army since there's no one left to possess. Jimmy realizes that he never figured out what was up with the alternate method of leaving a host without killing them, and neither does the reader.

Also Delilah Dirk comes to mind as another comic that was serialized online and then taken down (minus a preview) once it was completed/published. It's A Thing, especially for people who are coming to the medium from a print comic background.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

The attack on the castle was a ruse so that some of the Sweetpeas could sneak into the lab and hijack the demonizer to demon up the entire population of the planet, neutralizing Hunter's demon army since there's no one left to possess. Jimmy realizes that he never figured out what was up with the alternate method of leaving a host without killing them, and neither does the reader.

That's not what I took away from it. Jimmy has demonized everyone in the world. Everything should be back to normal, since anytime anyone dies, they just stay dead.

...except the obscure rule that you leave your host if you spend a certain amount of time bring completely Good or something. So, lol, Jimmy put the world back as it was, except all good people will just occassionally sponaneousky drop dead.

Good jorb.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

...except the obscure rule that you leave your host if you spend a certain amount of time bring completely Good or something. So, lol, Jimmy put the world back as it was, except all good people will just occassionally sponaneousky drop dead.

Jimmy explicitly doesn't know if that's the case or not, though. He's just spitballing. The comic ends on a giant question mark.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tendales posted:

It's a big pile of poo poo.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Demon was bad except when it was good.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

"Bookhunter" is still the only Shiga I've really enjoyed.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I enjoyed Fleep a great deal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

It's a big pile of poo poo.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I enjoy Shiga's stuff but he doesn't really write stories, just elaborate brain puzzles about cum knives

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

I enjoy Shiga's stuff but he doesn't really write stories, just elaborate brain puzzles about cum knives

It's not all cum knives, but most of them involve bodily fluids in some way.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I still don't understand why he didn't just bite open his radial arteries. Well, I mean I do in a doylian sense, I guess...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

New-ish comic found: "She-Dwarf" http://www.shedwarf.com

It's a little too self-aware of its genre, but it's ok.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

fritz posted:

Ok, regardless of where it goes, I definitely lost it at "muscle hawk is watching!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The art is just gorgeous and the world seems whimsical and charming. I'm in.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm trying to find a comic, that I think was posted in one of these web comic threads.

I've gone through pages, and couldn't find it.

The main character is a buff, red headed lady, with sharp teeth and a long pointed nose, and an unpleasant attitude.

She joins up with a super powered squad, looking to police other super humans.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mycot posted:

Nimona is another example of a webcomic where most of it was taken off when it got printed.

I still haven't read the ending. As much as I loved the series the whole "You liked this? Well the ending is only available in the book!" thing kind of just killed it for me even though I would have bought the book anyway. I am that petty. :shrug:

fritz posted:

Seems goofy fun. I can't help but secretly hope anything dwarf related will be as good as the disc world books.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

PicklePants posted:

I'm trying to find a comic, that I think was posted in one of these web comic threads.

I've gone through pages, and couldn't find it.

The main character is a buff, red headed lady, with sharp teeth and a long pointed nose, and an unpleasant attitude.

She joins up with a super powered squad, looking to police other super humans.

https://tapastic.com/series/Paradise

it is very jarring that the artist decided to change all of the characters' body types so drastically within 5 chapters

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I still haven't read the ending. As much as I loved the series the whole "You liked this? Well the ending is only available in the book!" thing kind of just killed it for me even though I would have bought the book anyway. I am that petty. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure the ending used to be up online. I certainly remember reading it that way, and I haven't bought the book.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Nuebot posted:

So you're protesting the book you were planning on buying having extra content you hadn't already read for free online. That's not petty that's just insane.

Also there's a world of difference between 'book exclusive epilogue' and holding the ending of the book hostage like you describe. You got the whole story already, does missing the after credits sequence really ruin it for you?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr Phillby posted:

So you're protesting the book you were planning on buying having extra content you hadn't already read for free online. That's not petty that's just insane.

Also there's a world of difference between 'book exclusive epilogue' and holding the ending of the book hostage like you describe. You got the whole story already, does missing the after credits sequence really ruin it for you?

I'm not really protesting it. There is no moral crusade here or anything. My interest in the product just ended, that's all. :shrug:

Crocoswine posted:

it is very jarring that the artist decided to change all of the characters' body types so drastically within 5 chapters

Oh jeeze you aren't kidding. The main character's nose grows and the rest of their face recedes. I like the early art style a lot, too.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Crocoswine posted:

Evon goes from having a bodybuilder bod in Chapter 2 to fat by start of Chapter 5, and by the end of Chapter 5 she's 100lbs heavier than she was at the start of the chapter.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is...is this a reverse Dresden Codak thing, where every woman turned from petite to ripped once the artist discovered his fetish for muscular women?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Thanks Crocoswine!

Yikes, those are some pretty wild changes.

Some of them I don't mind, like Pamela's nose. It leads to some pretty funny, cartoon facial expressions. Which admittedly aren't for everyone, but I enjoy them.

Bali's sudden weight gain is pretty hard to miss, though. That's a little weird.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

it's like they stumbled onto some post about body diversity in characters or whatever and then went ridiculously overboard changing everything. I might pick it back up if things stabilize at some point but right now it's giving me visual whiplash.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, in Kiwi Blitz, it looks like our protagonist is set to replace yet another part of her body with robot parts!

Of course, given that she was already wearing headphones 24/7, she may not notice the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Band vs Band status : STILL HAPPENING

• Locked thread