Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tagichatn posted:

But without premium features apparently.

Don't say stupid stuff, it makes you look stupid.

spincube posted:

I disagree. Apple's strategy - and success - with the iPhone wasn't just to make nice software that runs on nice hardware. Skipping over the 'it just works' business, Apple has an iconic retail presence. You can take your device to an Apple store, and the people working there will be able to diagnose the issue and repair, or replace, your device. Apple also has an official licencing programme, so there's a similarly-vast secondary ecosystem of cases, covers, holders, docks, and all manner of doo-dads that will work with your device. Apple don't seem to view messaging as an ongoing problem that needs a new solution every eighteen months - not that their messaging app is anything to make headlines about, but a basic service you'd expect from a phone in 2006, let alone 2016, shouldn't be treated like a breezy new app to play around with before the novelty wears off.

I own and love a 6P, having used every other Nexus since the N1. I still wouldn't recommend one to family members, compared against an iPhone; calling the Pixel 'Google's iPhone' misses everything outside the spec sheet you get with an Apple device. Price ✔, hardware ✔ - customer experience? uh. foresight? hmm. continued updates, security or otherwise? you can strap it to your face for VR!! :haw:

Calling the Pixel Google's iPhone is not the same thing as calling the Pixel the same thing as an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bull3964 posted:

Seeing as how carriers like Verizon are preemptively refunding the payments of the devices and sending out boxes whether you ask for one or not, I could certainly see them taking action at some point soon.
When I called Verizon today and asked for a shipping label, the guy on the other end of the line said to take it in to the store. So, as usual, Verizon's CS doesn't know what the company's doing, and I bet when I take it to the store this weekend I'll be told to wait for the box. :commissar:

I just want y'all to know that my heart is in the grave with that phone. It fit my hand so perfectly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

I disagree. Apple's strategy - and success - with the iPhone wasn't just to make nice software that runs on nice hardware. Skipping over the 'it just works' business, Apple has an iconic retail presence. You can take your device to an Apple store, and the people working there will be able to diagnose the issue and repair, or replace, your device. Apple also has an official licencing programme, so there's a similarly-vast secondary ecosystem of cases, covers, holders, docks, and all manner of doo-dads that will work with your device. Apple don't seem to view messaging as an ongoing problem that needs a new solution every eighteen months - not that their messaging app is anything to make headlines about, but a basic service you'd expect from a phone in 2006, let alone 2016, shouldn't be treated like a breezy new app to play around with before the novelty wears off.

I own and love a 6P, having used every other Nexus since the N1. I still wouldn't recommend one to family members, compared against an iPhone; calling the Pixel 'Google's iPhone' misses everything outside the spec sheet you get with an Apple device. Price ✔, hardware ✔ - customer experience? uh. foresight? hmm. continued updates, security or otherwise? you can strap it to your face for VR!! :haw:

It is Google's iPhone in that it's what the iPhone would be if Google made it--half-baked and in perpetual beta.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

Fi doesn't even work in Nebraska because T-Mobile is nonexistent here.

You can't get a 402 number on Fi.

Meanwhile, T-Mobile claims they work fine but they simply do not.

I feel your pain. Wanted to switch and damned T-Mobile has no presence here

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

spincube posted:

I disagree. Apple's strategy - and success - with the iPhone wasn't just to make nice software that runs on nice hardware. Skipping over the 'it just works' business, Apple has an iconic retail presence. You can take your device to an Apple store, and the people working there will be able to diagnose the issue and repair, or replace, your device.

While that is true remember the iPhone is just as popular in countries where Apple has limited (or no) retail presence.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

if Google made it--half-baked and in perpetual beta.
But you repeat yourself

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

While that is true remember the iPhone is just as popular in countries where Apple has limited (or no) retail presence.

There's a lot of bad things about Apple but their store is easily the worst. I want to punch out everyone in the place. I just went a week ago to get equipment for work, they told me my order was ready for pickup and I still had to wait 32 minutes for them to hand me the item.

Edit: I liked them more when all they had was a ghetto in CompUSA instead of some hipster hell.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 15, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LastInLine posted:

It is Google's iPhone in that it's what the iPhone would be if Google made it when they should have- two years ago.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 15, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tagichatn posted:

But without premium features apparently.

You're paying for intangibles and not fluff like IP68 ratings

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Intangibles? So... a Pixel is a baseball player?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

Intangibles? So... a Pixel is a baseball player?

The Pixel does look good in blue jeans, you have to admit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's got an ugly wart on the back, and I don't expect it to have a very good OBP.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Macys posted:

It's got an ugly wart on the back, and I don't expect it to have a very good OBP.

I think the back of the pixel is actually flat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

You're undervaluing the defensive stats of the Pixel. Look at it's VORP (Value Over Replacement Phone), it shines.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think the back of the pixel is actually flat.

I'm referring to the fingerprint scanner, though I guess "freckle", "liver spot", or "melanoma" would be more accurate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

monster on a stick posted:

You're undervaluing the defensive stats of the Pixel. Look at it's VORP (Value Over Replacement Phone), it shines.

Vorp is the noise that the Pixel makes when I swoop it through the air firing at imaginary Deathstars.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

It might be true in Nebraska. And only Nebraska

No it isn't

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems manually updating google play services, deleting its data and rebooting did something to Oneplus3's battery life. 4h 12min SOT and 50% battery left. Usage pretty much flatlines when not using the phone. Before it would eat battery for no good reason.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finally upgraded from my launch day Nexus 4 to the Nexus 6p. Goodbye, old friend. Also, what is LTE and why is it so fast?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Finally upgraded from my launch day Nexus 4 to the Nexus 6p. Goodbye, old friend. Also, what is LTE and why is it so fast?

Depending on the area you're in and the carrier you use, you could have been on LTE this whole time.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Only if the Nexus 4 was modified

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also technically you would be violating FCC rules by running the LTE radio which hasn't been cleared to not interfere with other devices.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm a cell phone sovereign citizen and do not respect the authority of the government to regulate my cell phone radio

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I do not wish to create joinder with AT&T.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:rip: Note7, LTE-A was incredible

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Blue Train posted:

I'm a cell phone sovereign citizen and do not respect the authority of the government to regulate my cell phone radio

Does your phone have a gold fringe?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, blazing fast.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, blazing fast.

nice

Pixel supports multiple band aggregation right? I should see the same speeds on that.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My girlfriend picked up a Huawei P9 Lite today to replace her ancient Samsung. MY first impressions are that it's a good phone and now I also want to buy one to replace my Moto G :) Am I an idiot? Are there other phones I should consider in the 2-300€ range?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I couldn't really recommend anything other than a Nexus 5x in that price range.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a shame that you'll burn through your entire data allotment in two minutes at those speeds

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It's a shame that you'll burn through your entire data allotment in two minutes at those speeds

:smith:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Does your phone have a gold fringe?

rose gold

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'd be fine with this if Allo supported SMS :(

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/14/googles-pixel-ships-with-hangouts-disabled-in-favor-of-allo-and-duo/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hangouts plus Google Voice is just so good that all this news about Hangouts becoming business oriented and whatnot makes me fearful Google is going to gently caress it up.

And by "so good" I really mean the idea of it and less the reality since Hangouts is so weird and buggy...but even then it works really well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google Voice has never and will never be available in Canada so that's a moot point for me, I barely even know how it works or what it does. I use hangouts with a number of friends and I'm sure we could switch to Allo, but SMS is still the kicker.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

nimper posted:

Yeah I'm excited to see where the Pixel line goes. Maybe I'll get next year's model.

Old post, but after reading so much about improvements in user experience for these phones I just hope Google adds a Pixel XS to fit my Trump hand

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Did anybody go Nexus 6 to 6p? I'll probably jump on a Thanksgiving deal or something, but was just curious if you thought it was/wasn't much of an upgrade.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google Voice has never and will never be available in Canada so that's a moot point for me, I barely even know how it works or what it does. I use hangouts with a number of friends and I'm sure we could switch to Allo, but SMS is still the kicker.

For me the kicker is a web client. It's super nice being able to open Hangouts in chrome to send a friend a link vs having to take my phone out and find the link again on my phone on Allo. I really like Allo, honestly, but the lack of any ability to use it on desktop spoils it.

I don't really care about SMS or Google Voice integration, and I assume most users are the same way (not that it shouldn't be there). But I think a web/desktop client is more important, which is why most services (Facebook, iMessage, Viber, even WeChat has a bad one) have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Allo isn't on desktop? What's the point?

E: apparently it doesn't even do proper sms. What the hell.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 15, 2016