Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Railing Kill posted:

I didn't include guys that get raped, partly because my point was about how females

Glad to see a ferengi in the thread :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Delsaber posted:

I occasionally think about changing my username to Drunk Shimoda.

Their point about how Pulaski got down with Worf in the space Irish vs clones episode is something I've never realized but it's also 100% unmistakably true.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'd count that time the unjoined Trill steals the Dax symbiant, myself.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

After The War posted:

I was thinking the same thing, invading your body to steal part of your identity has definite allegorical value.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Glad to see a ferengi in the thread :v:

lol

"Feeee-male hyoo-mons."
-Donald Trump

"Trump" even sounds like a Ferengi name. Not unlike Brunt. :tinfoil:

After The War posted:

Sure. My memory of some of the series isn't detailed enough to start carving out broad definitions of rape fr the sake of the argument. I was sticking to a definition like, "physical or mental assault because some creeper was creepin' on." The Dax thief was more like a hijacker, but I guess it fits in some sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Railing Kill posted:

Also of note: most of DS9's female characters aren't raped. Kira is the only one on the list, and that's only because Dukat tries to creep on her and doesn't get anywhere with his Amon Goeth impression. DS9 has every reason to imply some sort of awful poo poo in Kira's past and yet they don't even do that. Go DS9. Best Trek.
On the other hand, they have a whole episode revolving around how Dukat kept Kira's mom as a sex slave

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Timby posted:

Maybe I need to watch the Klingon episodes of DS9 again, but it just felt like Gowron randomly switched from being a mildly paranoid leader to a jabbering lunatic. And then Sisko basically tells Worf, "Yo, go wreck his poo poo," and I'm like :stare:

Wasn't that change in Gowron because he had been replaced by a changeling?

Or am I due for another DS9 rewatch?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

WarLocke posted:

Wasn't that change in Gowron because he had been replaced by a changeling?

The s4 cliffhanger was that Gowron had been replaced by a changling, but the next story showed that this was actually misinformation given to the founders by Odo and the actual changling was General Martok. The stuff currently being talked about is long after that, in any case.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I remember correctly he was also responsible for bringing Nick Meyer onboard for Wrath of Khan.

Not Wrath of Khan (the two men didn't know each other at that point), but Nimoy did have the idea of bringing him in to write the Earth-based stuff in The Voyage Home after Bennett had trouble cracking the script and the Meerson / Krikes script was thrown out, and Meyer was his first and only choice to write and direct The Undiscovered Country (the pre-production of which basically destroyed their friendship).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Timby posted:

Meyer was his first and only choice to write and direct The Undiscovered Country (the pre-production of which basically destroyed their friendship).

Man, what happened there?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

macnbc posted:

Man, what happened there?

quote:

For background, Meyer and Nimoy hashed out the story at Meyer's beach house; Nimoy opened by asking Meyer, "How would you like to tell a story about the Wall coming down in space?" That sold Meyer, and they walked up and down the beach all day just breaking down the story beat-by-beat. They then went their separate ways, with Meyer intending to write the script with Denny Martin Flinn, his longtime friend who was dying of cancer.

However, there was a massive power struggle going on at Paramount. Frank Mancuso, Paramount's president, had reached out to Nimoy to spearhead the movie after Gulf + Western chief Martin Davis raised the mother of all fits over Harve Bennett's plan to do the Starfleet Academy movie for the 25th anniversary. However, there were a couple of other Paramount executives -- Sid Ganis, who was the head of the movie studio, and his lieutenant, Teddy Zee -- who were actively campaigning to get Mancuso replaced, and so they brought out Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal, the writers of noted cinematic classic Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, telling Nimoy and Meyer that they had this exciting young writing team and they would just love it if they would meet with them. Nimoy wanted no part of it because he immediately smelled studio politics, and Meyer was reticent because it was already starting to reek of what happened on Star Trek IV (he and Bennett lost WGA arbitration on IV and had to share script credit with Steve Meerson and Peter Krikes, the guys who wrote the Eddie Murphy draft that was tossed), but he decided he would meet with these two bobos as a courtesy. Here's where things started to get ugly.

In their meeting, Meyer brought the entire, detailed outline that he and Nimoy had created that day on the beach, as well as some early script pages, and basically handed everything over to them. They came back a few weeks later and had literally plagiarized the entire thing (just changing the words, basically) and put their names on it. Though they were fired shortly thereafter, Nimoy was furious, later saying "I wanted to kill the son of a bitch (Meyer)," and it only got worse during post-production when he lost WGA arbitration and the credits were going to read "Story by Konner and Rosenthal, script by Meyer and Flinn." Nimoy hit the roof, called his lawyer and said that if it weren't resolved over the course of the weekend, he was personally going to sue the WGA, Paramount, Konner, Rosenthal and Meyer. At the eleventh hour they finally agreed on "Story by Nimoy, Konner and Rosenthal, script by Meyer and Flinn."

There were also some arguments during filming. Nimoy was one of the people uncomfortable with some of the racially charged tones of the script (not to the extent that Nichols and Brock Peters were, but he was still bothered by it), and he fought tooth and nail against the mind-rape scene, which wasn't in the shooting script -- as written, after Valeris reveals the conspirators, Kirk asks where the peace conference is, there's a two-second beat and Spock calmly says she doesn't know and that they should contact Excelsior. Nimoy felt that there was no way Spock would violate his principles like that, but Meyer overruled him. Lots of little fights like that added up and much like how The Voyage Home wrecked Nimoy's relationship with Bennett, Undiscovered Country almost totally destroyed his friendship with Meyer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Not Wrath of Khan (the two men didn't know each other at that point), but Nimoy did have the idea of bringing him in to write the Earth-based stuff in The Voyage Home after Bennett had trouble cracking the script and the Meerson / Krikes script was thrown out, and Meyer was his first and only choice to write and direct The Undiscovered Country (the pre-production of which basically destroyed their friendship).
Oh OK i was confusing STII with STVI.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's just occurred to me that these people are either 30 feet tall, or just massively out of scale with the rest of the station.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

It's just occurred to me that these people are either 30 feet tall, or just massively out of scale with the rest of the station.

What do you think Giant Spock's been up to all this time? :pervert:

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
I just finished watching through the entirety of DS9 for the first time and I loved it, but I have to say that finale was some mediocre Star Wars-rear end poo poo. The resolution of the dominion war was fine but that whole plot line with Dukat and the pah wraiths was pretty dumb. It wasn't the satisfying end to the series I was hoping for and it felt awkward given that Sisko knew nothing about any of it until the last 5 minutes of the show when he suddenly got all "gotta go, prophets need me." I would have liked them to revisit Benny Russell or the admittance of Bajor into the Federation instead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red Ryder posted:

I just finished watching through the entirety of DS9 for the first time and I loved it, but I have to say that finale was some mediocre Star Wars-rear end poo poo. The resolution of the dominion war was fine but that whole plot line with Dukat and the pah wraiths was pretty dumb. It wasn't the satisfying end to the series I was hoping for and it felt awkward given that Sisko knew nothing about any of it until the last 5 minutes of the show when he suddenly got all "gotta go, prophets need me." I would have liked them to revisit Benny Russell or the admittance of Bajor into the Federation instead.

As I recall, Avery Brooks was very uncomfortable with the idea of Sisko just going "peace out" at his pregnant wife and asked for some substantial rewrites.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

As I recall, Avery Brooks was very uncomfortable with the idea of Sisko just going "peace out" at his pregnant wife and asked for some substantial rewrites.

It did play rather unfortunately into the "absent black father" trope, but hey sometimes ST is just dumb

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Saw this at a Best Buy just now. The Future Is Now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gonz posted:

Saw this at a Best Buy just now. The Future Is Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw1KU_ubixI

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

I mean, the subtext is unhappy but I don't really have a problem with Sisko leaving Starfleet and humanity behind to go join the Prophets. It's something neither Kirk nor Picard would ever have done and that's what makes it interesting. I didn't find it unbelievable that Sisko would do it either, he's been struggling for several years with his importance as a religious figure and was never a perfect Starfleet martinet to begin with. He's a vulnerable figure who sometimes makes difficult personal choices that don't leave everyone or himself happy. But he has to live with it. That's why he's a good protagonist.

But I do think the pah-wraiths are the weakest link of the plot of the show as a whole. What the hell is their problem? So there's two types of godlike energy beings in the Bajor system locked in ancient conflict, the one type doesn't like the other -- why not? Seriously, none of the dick things they do make sense at all because we have no concept of what could possibly motivate them. We don't even have a clear sense that they have motivations for their actions at all, they are just villainous and made of evil red energy. That's okay if lazy, as long as it's a one-off thing, oh no the bad alien has possessed the chief's wife, will anyone notice before she starts wearing his skin? But it's absolutely foolish if you plan on making them the big endgame villain that Sisko must sacrifice himself to stop. I think an interesting tack to take would have been: why are the pah-wraiths so bad that the Bajorans must never ever allow them to be summoned out of the necronomicon, when the prophets blithely stayed in their wormhole doing gently caress all while Cardassians invaded the planet and unleashed a holocaust upon its inhabitants? In what sense can these guys claim to be "of Bajor" when they didn't lift a finger to defend it? I don't want to get invested in defending the evil space ghosts but it's very un-Trek to me that they never even explore the motivations of their enemies here. Dealing with assholish godlike energy beings in some other way than "push them back into literal hell" is what the show should be about.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Timby posted:

substantial rewrites.
Not substantial, they just added the line "I will be back" to the existing dialog.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Prophets taking Jake instead would've worked for me, tying back into the penance they had planned earlier which was aborted when Kai Winn hosed up their Reckoning. Then Sisko could've stayed with his wife and newborn, but he'd still "know nothing but sorrow" because he lost Jake.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah those evil wormhole dudes were the worst part of the show and turned the final episodes into some schlock. They easily could have maybe developed them into anything with any sort of backstory or motivations. Nope, "they're evil demons that want to kill the prophets and the universe because that's what demons do" and that's that, that's all we get.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It would have been pretty easy to just say they weren't as standoffish as the normal wormhole aliens and would directly intercede in Bajoran lives, so the majority population deemed them "wrong" and locked them away. Like, not even in an evil way, just they were the ones who would actually bother answering prayers or something, and they're only malevolent assholes now because they've been imprisoned for 10,000 years.

At least that's something more than just [[Keiko intensifies]]

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Weren't they supposed to have been kicked out of the celestial temple by the prophets, and imprisoned in the fire caves?

What's Satan's motivation?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DirtyRobot posted:

I just got to these episodes in my own binge and was disappointed by the music choice for the intro. Instead of sounding dark, it should have gotten even more hilariously upbeat as it started showing images and clips that were increasingly grim and horrific.

A long time ago, a fan put Faith of the Heart over the Mirror Universe intro. It actually works really well, and syncs up perfectly with the visuals in a lot of places. The show runners may well have originally planned to do exactly this, but chickened out at the last minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qFagHtGrNA

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Powered Descent posted:

A long time ago, a fan put Faith of the Heart over the Mirror Universe intro. It actually works really well, and syncs up perfectly with the visuals in a lot of places. The show runners may well have originally planned to do exactly this, but chickened out at the last minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qFagHtGrNA

Man this works great, would have been even more ridiculous with the extra upbeat season 3 music.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Red Ryder posted:

That was easily the weakest of the wrap up stuff, yeah. Especially since it's like 'oh, the Dominion War is over, we're done' and then you get like 20 minutes where they have to wrap up the Pah-Wraith sideplot and it doesn't work that well. At least the other characters besides Sisko got reasonably acceptable send-offs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

thexerox123 posted:

Weren't they supposed to have been kicked out of the celestial temple by the prophets, and imprisoned in the fire caves?

What's Satan's motivation?

Depending on what tradition you look at, he committed some variant on being insufficiently humble before God and his creation. But that doesn't really wash with the prophets, they don't seem to have moral concepts like humility and I'm not sure they even created Bajor or the Bajorans. Part of the plot hole here is that the prophets are so spacey it's hard to imagine how they could possibly have a malign aspect at all. They don't seem to have any obvious motivations, questions of motive hardly even make sense because they don't experience cause and effect in a normal way. When Sisko meets them, they're all like "what is time? What is this suffering? You exist here :catdrugs:". It's possible to reimagine this in a kind of Lovecraftian light, where the "evil" prophets would be similarly remote from humanoid experience, but so much so that they just don't care about the death and destruction their natural behaviors will cause to lesser beings. But this isn't how the pah-wraiths are portrayed, they're shown to possess humans and undertake pointlessly cruel, malicious, and violent actions. That's a giant gulf of behavior between these guys and the other guys they're supposed to be sort of like, and the show only ever explores it in a circular manner. Why are they assholes? Because they're in the fire caves and must be kept there. But why are they in the caves? Well, because they're assholes of course. It's the failure of the show to engage with it on any deeper level that I find unsatisfying.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

when was kira raped? i don't remember that episode at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know about raped, but she was turned into a Cardassian once.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Timby posted:

Personally, I'm glad they put in the "I can come back whenever I want because I'll control time" thing though. That way I can choose to believe he came back a month later: not long enough to miss too much, but long enough that people won't be too weirded out by how much he changed in a few hours/lifetimes like when O'Brien went to mind prison.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

when was kira raped? i don't remember that episode at all.

I think they're being a bit liberal with lack of consent to something = rape.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ah poo poo I forgot about O'Brien going to mind prison.

Goddamn. Poor Colm Meaney.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i feel like you have to use your imagination a little bit too hard (i.e., what did they do to her space cooch?) to classify that as rape

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i feel like it's less of a stretch to classify data as a rapist (she was clearly intoxicated). i doubt soong would have programmed him to be incapable of rape. i don't think data is rapist, for the record.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He is programmed in multiple techniques, including rape

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

i feel like it's less of a stretch to classify data as a rapist (she was clearly intoxicated). i doubt soong would have programmed him to be incapable of rape. i don't think data is rapist, for the record.

I think technically they raped each-other, because neither was capable of giving consent due to being intoxicated. Do two rapes make a right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cat Hatter posted:

I think technically they raped each-other, because neither was capable of giving consent due to being intoxicated. Do two rapes make a right?

I've been in the military and I've received training on sexual assault, so I can handle this. If both the woman and the man are intoxicated, the man is at fault.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

i doubt soong would have programmed him to be incapable of rape.

The bastard! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot he got space drunk too.