Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Transformers: Devastation is the coolest poo poo ever

I don't know poo poo about Transformers but I am smacking around giant bug-robot-men with drill hands and it's cool as poo poo

I was really sleeping on this game even though Platinum is probably my favorite game developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i cant believe yet another GOTY, disney magical world 2, is here

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Transformers: Devastation is the coolest poo poo ever

I don't know poo poo about Transformers but I am smacking around giant bug-robot-men with drill hands and it's cool as poo poo

I was really sleeping on this game even though Platinum is probably my favorite game developer

Optimus Prime taunting enemies as he dodges is the best.

"Not even close"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

it truly is a small world after all

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's only out in the EU at the moment, yea?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GOTY

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Very important, if bird and plane do, does Superman also invert i axis?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
dq builders is completely cool and good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

i haven't experimented with second stories yet. My city is a loving fortress though. I have a moat full of spikes surrounding it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i dont have a ps4 but i have a vita tv. is it playable or fun on that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Is DQB basically Minecraft but not incredibly ugly?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

Is DQB basically Minecraft but not incredibly ugly?

It's basically minecraft with a story, quests, things to actually, building things that provide tangible benefits, etc.

For example, if you put a cookfire and a chest in a room, that's called building a kitchen, and NPC will cook food for you there. So basically building rooms causes passive generation of items for you to use. And all kinds of other features. It's like what if minecraft was a game instead of a sandbox. It's neat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The big question that is barring me from buying it right now is: Is it worth 60 dollars

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The big question that is barring me from buying it right now is: Is it worth 60 dollars

Did you play the demo?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't know there was a demo! I'll have to give it a try.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its game of the month easy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snak posted:

For example, if you put a cookfire and a chest in a room, that's called building a kitchen, and NPC will cook food for you there. So basically building rooms causes passive generation of items for you to use. And all kinds of other features. It's like what if minecraft was a game instead of a sandbox. It's neat.

So it's basically just taking management style game rules and implying them to Minecraft! That is really neat and cool.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

That is crazy. By the time I finished up my first base, it was really basic compared to that, just a square fortress with each room facing inward. This is inspiring me to do like a tree house thing for my next base.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm not very far but I messed around a little with a second floor for the forge/blacksmith room but I didn't seem to get points for anything I put in the second floor (my stairs were inside the room though, not outside like that screenshot) Also the camera made it impossible to see anything when you were in the first floor but I have the ability to make glass now so maybe that's not a problem if you make some windows or something

It's a super fun game though. I never could get into Minecraft/Terraria but I love this

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Why would you not invert it always, if you're going to do it for some?

As soon as I use a controller making sure it's properly inverted is the first thing I do.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not very far but I messed around a little with a second floor for the forge/blacksmith room but I didn't seem to get points for anything I put in the second floor (my stairs were inside the room though, not outside like that screenshot) Also the camera made it impossible to see anything when you were in the first floor but I have the ability to make glass now so maybe that's not a problem if you make some windows or something

It's a super fun game though. I never could get into Minecraft/Terraria but I love this

there's weird rules to what counts as part of a building and what doesnt afaik. im only a little bit into the demo though as im waiting on my physical copy in the mail

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

R3 lets you see in 1st person in enclosed spaces but its not ideal.

Just make sure to put rooms you never visit on lower floors, like npc bedrooms

Ideally they would have done an xray type thing through roofs but they didnt.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 15, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

Why would you not invert it always, if you're going to do it for some?

As soon as I use a controller making sure it's properly inverted is the first thing I do.
Not being a moon person, I don't use inverted controls, but most games tend to foist inverted flight controls on you by default so it makes sense to have an option to invert just those. I'm not sure why you'd want different settings for person and tank or plane and bird but it's nice to include them.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 15, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I'm controlling something like a viewpoint it needs to be inverted, if I'm moving a sight or cursor around on a screen it needs to not be.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

If I'm controlling something like a viewpoint it needs to be inverted
To this day I don't know which horizontal camera setting is "normal" and which is "inverted" and I'm not sure it's even consistent across games. Which one is the one where when you move the stick/mouse right you look to the right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No idea I never touch the horizontal one and it's right 99.9% of the time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

No idea I never touch the horizontal one and it's right 99.9% of the time.

Same

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Not being a moon person, I don't use inverted controls, but most games tend to foist inverted flight controls on you by default so it makes sense to have an option to invert just those. I'm not sure why you'd want different settings for person and tank or plane and bird but it's nice to include them.

Plane games have just traditionally been that way because you pull up on a throttle. They tried doing other controls in later Ace Combat games but they always felt like crap to me.

I don't remember ever noticing that was weird until I heard a bunch of people complaining about the flight school missions in San Andreas back in the day.

HMS Boromir posted:

To this day I don't know which horizontal camera setting is "normal" and which is "inverted" and I'm not sure it's even consistent across games. Which one is the one where when you move the stick/mouse right you look to the right?

Going back to old PS2 games, they're not consistent at all until like the 360. I think no one knew what should be normal until then.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

HMS Boromir posted:

In the n64/psx era the idea was you were moving the camera, so left would move the camera to your character's left and your view would turn to the right. Now that 3rd person shooters are a thing, the correct controls are flipped where pushing right turns the camera right.

It was pretty inconsistent last generation, where some 3rd person games that didn't have shooting mechanics would have the horizontal camera turning the wrong direction.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Plane games have just traditionally been that way because you pull up on a throttle. They tried doing other controls in later Ace Combat games but they always felt like crap to me.
Yeah, it makes sense where it came from, but I'm curious if it would've felt wrong to pick up your first flight game and have it not be inverted, if you didn't already know how real plane controls work.

If anyone in this thread has like a 4-year-old please mess up your kid real bad by giving them only plane games with non-inverted Y axis controls and report back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bloodychill posted:

I think at this point, RPG has just become short-hand for "you get new skills, possibly gain levels." Yeah, it's not role-playing in the tabletop or MMO sense, but at some point we accepted stupid genre names and they stuck.

I thought that was "RPG elements."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flight games were a large proportion of early
3d games and they ruined my brain

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Yeah, it makes sense where it came from, but I'm curious if it would've felt wrong to pick up your first flight game and have it not be inverted, if you didn't already know how real plane controls work.

If anyone in this thread has like a 4-year-old please mess up your kid real bad by giving them only plane game with non-inverted Y axis controls and report back.

I think a kid would appreciate After Burner.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Right. Any camera angle must be inverted. I don't know why, I absolutely cannot play anything without Y axis inversion. It's baffling. It's not just that I'm not very good at it -- I'm completely disabled. My brain does not adhere to it. First person shooters on a console without Y inversion involve me staring at the ground or the sky the whole time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
wanted to share some shots of my DQB chapter 1 base.

Such a fun game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Andrast posted:

The D&D license was stuck inside the dying shell of Atari when it was relevant so it never got games.

I don't know much about D&D, I've never done the table top poo poo. What's the difference between that and AD&D? Because there were a shitload of those games in the '80s / early '90s and they were all awesome to 10 year old me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Advance was basically a rework of the rules and added some more classes and poo poo. Early d&d gets confusing with all the different boxes and poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

wanted to share some shots of my DQB chapter 1 base.

Such a fun game.

Man that's so much more elaborate than mine. I feel like I should've planned better because I've just been making it up as I go along and the area they give you is honestly pretty small. Doing a couple of quests for monsters got me some cool blueprints for a hothouse and a little restaurant type building but I have no space for either

One thing I would say if you didn't know is that putting the three teleporters in a room with a light source is a 'Triple Teleportarium'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Private rooms are worth way fewer points than those buildings. Make everyone sleep in a cheap inn and build your hothouse and cafe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Private rooms are worth way fewer points than those buildings. Make everyone sleep in a cheap inn and build your hothouse and cafe

I mean, I easily maxed out my base. I give everyone their own room out of principle.

I haven't discovered hothouse or cafe yet.

Also I think having a private room makes your citizen more productive.

• Locked thread