Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not very far but I messed around a little with a second floor for the forge/blacksmith room but I didn't seem to get points for anything I put in the second floor

Did it not recognize it as a room at all? It might be because rooms need doors. My wife had that problem last night and I think I remember that not having a door was the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think having stairs inside might register as missing floor blocks also.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I think having stairs inside might register as missing floor blocks also.

Oh yeah that's definitely also true. The rules for making a room are way too nitpicky and it's the only thing I don't like about the game right now.

The slow-ish movement speed is still annoying, but since Wayfarer's Clothes speed you up a little bit I'm assuming that pretty soon I'll be able to make clothes that speed you up a lot.

Modern gamers are weird, I've seen a lot of people say "DQ Builders is only 1 gigabyte, lol" as if that means anything. For one thing, considering the graphical style it uses, 1 gig is absolutely massive, but even putting that aside, making a game for a modern console does not mean it has to have 10 gigs worth of spoken audio and a bunch of movie-quality cutscenes or what the everloving gently caress ever.

I mean poo poo, over half the games in my Steam library would probably run on a computer from 2001.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

Right. Any camera angle must be inverted. I don't know why, I absolutely cannot play anything without Y axis inversion. It's baffling. It's not just that I'm not very good at it -- I'm completely disabled. My brain does not adhere to it. First person shooters on a console without Y inversion involve me staring at the ground or the sky the whole time.

The way I've had it explained is that in real life when you want to look down you move your head forward and you pull it back to look up, and if you transcribe that motion of your neck to an analog stick it matches an inverted y-axis camera.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Oh yeah that's definitely also true. The rules for making a room are way too nitpicky and it's the only thing I don't like about the game right now.

The slow-ish movement speed is still annoying, but since Wayfarer's Clothes speed you up a little bit I'm assuming that pretty soon I'll be able to make clothes that speed you up a lot.

Modern gamers are weird, I've seen a lot of people say "DQ Builders is only 1 gigabyte, lol" as if that means anything. For one thing, considering the graphical style it uses, 1 gig is absolutely massive, but even putting that aside, making a game for a modern console does not mean it has to have 10 gigs worth of spoken audio and a bunch of movie-quality cutscenes or what the everloving gently caress ever.

I mean poo poo, over half the games in my Steam library would probably run on a computer from 2001.

I actually like the draconian room rules. Restrictions breed creativity.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Need help picking a costume

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure any of those are going to fit you...

edit: And as far as points for rooms go... it practically doesn't matter. The hallway connecting my 4 bedrooms to the kitchen is worth 1460 points. The Barbecue kitchen itself is only 1680. So the game really rewards you for building interconnected and "high quality" structures. My blacksmith's studio is 3940 points, and you only need 17,000 points to max out the base. Each of the private bedrooms is between 850 and a 1,000. So the dormitory, kitchen, and studio put me at 12k/17k points.

Edit2: One other great change from minecraft is that items in the world don't disappear. Ever. So if you drop some stuff or forget to pick it up or something, it doesn't vanish after a short time. You can just go get it later. In minecraft, you would die and drop a load of diamonds and if you didn't get back in time, they'd be gone. Not so in DQB.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 15, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is dq builders dwarf fortress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Need help picking a costume

:phoneb: Hello RSPCA?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

is dq builders dwarf fortress

No.

Although I was never able to parse Dwarf Fortress even a little bit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Should I buy the first Witcher game on Steam once I'm done with Skyrim? I don't think the new Witcher will run on my desktop.

I'm looking forward to saving up the next year to replace the ancient thing, aybe finally play Obduction.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The first witcher has an interesting story but is clunky as all hell. I'd recommend watching a playthrough unless you really want to check it out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not a Children posted:

The first witcher has an interesting story but is clunky as all hell. I'd recommend watching a playthrough unless you really want to check it out.

What about Witcher number 2? Or should I just wait until I can make 3 work?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

raditts posted:

I don't know much about D&D, I've never done the table top poo poo. What's the difference between that and AD&D? Because there were a shitload of those games in the '80s / early '90s and they were all awesome to 10 year old me.

D&D 4E tried to base itself on modern crpg design, so every character has skills they can use X amount of times with cooldown based on their class and on their race, all of which have very specific tile-based ranges and effects. The idea was to make it so everyone always has something to do in combat, no matter what kind of character they are running. If you actually follow the rules when you're playing a game you have to have a grid out and move people around like a board-game on it, and any more than four people makes any fight an endless waste of time. But it'd be really, really good for a SRPG videogame, they just never made one...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

The way I've had it explained is that in real life when you want to look down you move your head forward and you pull it back to look up, and if you transcribe that motion of your neck to an analog stick it matches an inverted y-axis camera.

when i look down i look down, i don't think I AM MOVING THE BACK OF MY HEAD UP

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sakurazuka posted:

:phoneb: Hello RSPCA?

Look at that Sonic Doggo, he doesn't know how he looks. He doesn't even need a costume to be the fastest thing alive. In his mind, he already is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts posted:

I don't know much about D&D, I've never done the table top poo poo. What's the difference between that and AD&D? Because there were a shitload of those games in the '80s / early '90s and they were all awesome to 10 year old me.

Just rules revisions.

The original D&D was a pretty lightweight booklet, and so got tons and tons of supplements over time as nerds wanted rules for different things.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was much bigger rulebook compilation, that tried to put that all together into one big official edition, and revise a few things.

2nd Ed, Originally "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition" switched up a ton of the rules and split the rules across 3 books which were much nicer material. Its the version most of the older generation knows.

3rd dropped the AD&D title and went to just "Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition" and they simplified a lot of things, got rid of THAC0, but also added a ton and made it kinda imbalanced and prone to min/maxing. That's the one most of my generation knows.

3.5 was a patch to address imbalance issues in 3 and clean some things up, since 3 was working well and had lots of supplements, they didn't want to make those all obsolete. New updated rulebooks that look very similar to 3rd's.

4th was an attempt to simplify things, but went kinda too far. Its very 'videogamey'. Some like it but most disliked it.

5th is the newest version and they kinda realized they've made some mistakes, Pathfinder took some of the market from them, and so this time they crowdsourced lots of the rules and had a public beta and it helped fix a lot.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

when i look down i look down, i don't think I AM MOVING THE BACK OF MY HEAD UP

when i play games without inverted controls, i always end up looking in the wrong direction so i just change it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

more than four people makes any fight an endless waste of time.

This complaint is way more true of Pathfinder/3.5, though IMO. After about level 6 every goddamn monster grapples whenever it attacks, someone has prestiged into taking 4 attacks of opportunity every time something moves, and some person is taking 7 attacks with 2 weapons, each of which the monsters have different levels of resistence to. Every combat becomes an endless slog of interruptions and reactions. And this is coming from someone who preferred Pathfinder.

Like, 4.0's combat was very same-y, but it's kind of absurd to assert that more system complexity makes combat run smoother or quicker.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Shadow Warrior 2 is my game of the month, and I've only played 1h30m of it. It's probably gonna be my game of the year. This may be a little thing, but I love being able to see my character's legs and feet in FPS games, it helps me immerse myself in the character that much more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

What about Witcher number 2? Or should I just wait until I can make 3 work?

Witcher 2 is really good. It's not Witcher 3, but it's worth playing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Joe Gillian posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is my game of the month, and I've only played 1h30m of it. It's probably gonna be my game of the year. This may be a little thing, but I love being able to see my character's legs and feet in FPS games, it helps me immerse myself in the character that much more.

Yeah SW2 is an absolute blast. I played co-op with 3 of my buddies last night and it was a complete riot. The writing and story are pretty weak but who cares. What a blast.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, D&D has basically always been a video game where people have to keep track of the numbers instead of computers, so there's a lot of "Is the bard's singing on? We have haste right? Do I count as flanking?" in places where the computer would just tell you whether you hit or missed, and you're rolling 6-10 dice instead of just waiting for the computer to grab something out of its RNG. It's advantage is that it lets you be creative and do things the game developers wouldn't have thought to allow you to do during scenarios, and, like all tabletop games, it allows for people to move at their own pace without having to hit a pause button, so it's easier to do it socially. Combat is always going to be a slog of numbers and geometry.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

combat sucks anyway

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

Did it not recognize it as a room at all? It might be because rooms need doors. My wife had that problem last night and I think I remember that not having a door was the problem.

It recognised the first floor as a room but not the second. I didn't have a door on the second floor though so maybe you're right

Real hurthling! posted:

Private rooms are worth way fewer points than those buildings. Make everyone sleep in a cheap inn and build your hothouse and cafe

Yeah I decided to just go ahead and get rid of those rooms and build the hothouse/cafe - I think I'm at the end of chapter 1 so I guess here's my town

Maybe I should've used something other than those brick cladding kits at some point

I hadn't really thought about it but I guess with how the land you start off with is arranged/the way blueprints work, most peoples towns are going to look more or less the same

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

It recognised the first floor as a room but not the second. I didn't have a door on the second floor though so maybe you're right

Yeah I decided to just go ahead and get rid of those rooms and build the hothouse/cafe - I think I'm at the end of chapter 1 so I guess here's my town

Maybe I should've used something other than those brick cladding kits at some point

I hadn't really thought about it but I guess with how the land you start off with is arranged/the way blueprints work, most peoples towns are going to look more or less the same

No that's really pretty. I didn't use bricks at all. My whole place is stone, with flagstone floors except in bedrooms, where I used straw for a comfier look. The brick looks really nice. Also your garden. My base is a castle, and it doesn't have nearly the homey feel of yours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This has been such an excellent month I'm legit not sure what my GotM is. I've got at least three candidates which is nice.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The DQ minecraft game is making me wish that I had a PS4. Like really, it's what dragon quest has always needed, is a way for you to assemble a bunch of stuff with what you grind for.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's also on Vita if you have that. Not PSTV compatible afaik

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

It's also on Vita if you have that. Not PSTV compatible afaik

i just have a PC, a Wii U and a 3DS, and the PC basically needs allof its parts replaced soon, so it's unlikely i'll be able to get a PS4 any time soon.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

I do not want to post mine after seeing all you guys' bases. Mine was just putting stuff down as I got it. I will say that building a cafe should be a priority for everyone because its perk is that your food meter doesn't drop while you're futzing around in your base.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

i just have a PC, a Wii U and a 3DS, and the PC basically needs allof its parts replaced soon, so it's unlikely i'll be able to get a PS4 any time soon.

Ah well. At least in the future if you pick up a PS4 DQB will be cheaper! I'm interested in personally but I spent most of the last month playing DQ7 so I need a little DQ reprieve before getting builders

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

combat sucks anyway

if you don't like combat why would you play D&D where the focus has always been on dungeon crawling and combat (applies to all editions).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Ah well. At least in the future if you pick up a PS4 DQB will be cheaper! I'm interested in personally but I spent most of the last month playing DQ7 so I need a little DQ reprieve before getting builders

I burned myself out once by playing 1, 2, and 3 all at the same time. Say safe,m games, and don't over-inject yourself with Slime.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

if you don't like combat why would you play D&D where the focus has always been on dungeon crawling and combat (applies to all editions).

My biggest beef with D&D is that it's THE name that average people associate with pen and paper rpgs. I've known lots of people who play D&D and never know anyone who plays anything else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

My biggest beef with D&D is that it's THE name that average people associate with pen and paper rpgs. I've known lots of people who play D&D and never know anyone who plays anything else.

My favorite systems use FATE, but I do have to admit that almost every other one I tried, which was admittedly half a decade ago at this point, had problems with character advancement. Character creation is great in a lot of other systems, but not so much leveling up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i started up eu4 to try again and i conquered a territory which was one of burgundy's goals. then austria told me it was an illegal land grab and when i refused to give it back like 25 nations formed a coalition against me and steamrolled

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i started up eu4 to try again and i conquered a territory which was one of burgundy's goals. then austria told me it was an illegal land grab and when i refused to give it back like 25 nations formed a coalition against me and steamrolled

Welcome to the HRE. That place is a nightmare for expansion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the latest patch actually buffed AE gains to make it even harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm playing it back and it looks like my mistake was vassalizing lorraine

• Locked thread