Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

corn in the bible posted:

when i look down i look down, i don't think I AM MOVING THE BACK OF MY HEAD UP

It depends on which situations you view the joystick/mouse as moving up and down or forward and back. I need y-axis first-person controls inverted because it makes sense for my head to go forward to look towards my feet but that's counterintuitive to someone if the joystick is supposed to be going Up and not Forward.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i already hit this mark earlier in the week on steamcompletionist but now i can officially post it

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nice!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i just have a PC, a Wii U and a 3DS, and the PC basically needs allof its parts replaced soon, so it's unlikely i'll be able to get a PS4 any time soon.

It may come out on PC eventually. Dragon Quest Heroes made it's way to PC a year after the PS4 release, but I don't know if that was because Square Enix made the push or Koei-Tecmo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

Also the latest patch actually buffed AE gains to make it even harder

Good news, they went back to pre-patch AE gains yesterday or the day before

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Oh yeah that's definitely also true. The rules for making a room are way too nitpicky and it's the only thing I don't like about the game right now.

The slow-ish movement speed is still annoying, but since Wayfarer's Clothes speed you up a little bit I'm assuming that pretty soon I'll be able to make clothes that speed you up a lot.

Modern gamers are weird, I've seen a lot of people say "DQ Builders is only 1 gigabyte, lol" as if that means anything. For one thing, considering the graphical style it uses, 1 gig is absolutely massive, but even putting that aside, making a game for a modern console does not mean it has to have 10 gigs worth of spoken audio and a bunch of movie-quality cutscenes or what the everloving gently caress ever.

I mean poo poo, over half the games in my Steam library would probably run on a computer from 2001.

Oh there's always been people like that. Dudes and dudettes who are obsessed with performance and build the best PCs, then refuse to play anything that doesn't have specs that are "worth " their high tech machine.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I think 30fps games are totally fine :twisted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. I don't like games with fluctuating framerates but if it's locked and consistent who cares

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I am, however, looking forward to the new ang Lee movie because he shot it at 120fps and that will look insane on a theatre screen

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I am, however, looking forward to the new ang Lee movie because he shot it at 120fps and that will look insane on a theatre screen

I haven't seen one of the high frame rate movies yet. I hear some people complaining that it had a "soap opera feel" to the movement, which is something that definitely bothers me on new TVs when they have that setting on, but they're two really different things, so I want to try sometime.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They definitely look really insane and there's really no reason for movies to shoot above the standard but it doesn't stop people from trying

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The only framerate that is unacceptable is the <15 my computer struggled to get on anything new back when I was in high school and college and couldn't afford regular upgrades. Also, it's a bit jarring to go back and play multiplayer in N64 Golden Eye and realize that I played 200+ hours of a game on a tiny portion of a tube screen at like 12FPS back in high school.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have a TV that does interpolation and I love it. You can see so much more detail during camera pans its insane. It does give people that 'soap opera effect' at first, but the more of it you watch, the less and less you notice, it becomes pretty comfortable.

I absolutely loved watching Hobbit at high frame rates, audiences need to get over it already.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i got motion sick during the hobbit please dont give me motion sickness filmmakers

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I have a TV that does interpolation and I love it. You can see so much more detail during camera pans its insane. It does give people that 'soap opera effect' at first, but the more of it you watch, the less and less you notice, it becomes pretty comfortable.

I absolutely loved watching Hobbit at high frame rates, audiences need to get over it already.

I think there's a difference between high frame rate and interpolation. I've seen some really weird interpolation artifacts during quick motion.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only framerate thing that bothers me is Tales of Symphonia being 60fps on the gamecube and then every port afterwards is built off the bad PS2 port that could only handle 30.

I played too many PS1 and N64 games to really care otherwise.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

i got motion sick during the hobbit please dont give me motion sickness filmmakers

Same. The soap opera effect never wears for me. I tried having it on my TV for a couple weeks and had to just turn it off because it never stopped bugging me and yeah, in some cases making me feel queasy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I saw a couple reviews that said The Hobbit at 48 fps looked like watching a stage play of The Hobbit and not a movie, and I agree.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Interpolation is dumb because it's inventing images that a filmmaker never created

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Interpolation is dumb because it's inventing images that a filmmaker never created

Procedurally generated movies...incredible

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CJacobs posted:

I saw a couple reviews that said The Hobbit at 48 fps looked like watching a stage play of The Hobbit and not a movie, and I agree.

It looked like it was in fast forward to me.

I don't get motion sickness but HFR films and 3D films look so incredibly fake and distracting to me that they're basically unwatchable. I don't have that problem with games though.

Help Im Alive posted:

Procedurally generated movies...incredible

It's kinda been done, at least on a script level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7x2Ihqjmc

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Sup guys back from Frys Electronics , got myself a new card. It's a budget card but it does what it needs.

Rip GTX 680, you stood for me quite a while buddy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Not a movie but Man in the High Castle is a procedurally generated book

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Not a movie but Man in the High Castle is a procedurally generated book

I don't think that's true at all...

Edit: also you might have posted this in the wrong thread?

I guess The Man in the High Castle might fit some definition of "procedurally generated". But a majority of the content was written normally. Consulting the I Ching to determine plot outcomes is hardly the common definition of "procedurally generated".

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 16, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

I think there's a difference between high frame rate and interpolation. I've seen some really weird interpolation artifacts during quick motion.

Well, of course. That's why they're different terms? They're both high frame rate but if you record it natively at high speed its going to be ideal, whereas interpolation is an algorithm attempting to patch frames based on the data it has, which is imperfect. It works really well for lots of camera pans and its fine for still scenes too, but if there's rapid cuts or motion then it does produce artifacts. But its not a huge deal IMO.

CJacobs posted:

I think that feeling of being live with the characters is actually really cool. The thing is it raises the bar for filmmaking, because everything has to be acted just right, with the right motions and weight and everything, and you notice anything that's fake much more. But I think that's a cool thing and pushes the medium and the art further.

Not everything needs to be high frame rate, but for huge budget productions like The Hobbit and LOTR where there's tons of money in costumes and you have hundreds of characters fighting on screen, when you compare the 24fps to high frame rate, the 24fps is basically a muddy sea of incomprehensible colors. High frame rate actually lets you follow the motions.

Although more and more directors are going the opposite direction, cutting corners with shakey cam to save money, so that's probably overly optimistic.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 16, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Right, like, it looks artificial because it is. I can't watch it, it's way too jarring on my eyes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In Training posted:

I watched Newsroom on my downstairs TV with interpolation and forgot it was even on, but then I later was watching the next episode on my computer and I was stunned, whoa; before when the camera pans across the room I could see everything on people's desks, even read the titles of books and things (all these details that the director bothered putting in the scene and spent money for the props) but at 24 it just turns into a blur when the camera moves. You don't really notice it, you know the room is there and there are desks and the camera is moving, but its super blurry.

Its not ideal for everything, but I'm not sure saying that its dumb because the filmmaker never 'created' it is fair. The director did a sweep pan in the film, they built the costumes and sets and props, maybe he wanted it blurry but maybe not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Behold my works ye mighty and despair

And I'm only on Chapter 1? How many chapters are there? I was iffy on whether it was a "sixty dollar game" or not but now I'm thinking it absolutely is a sixty dollar game if it has even half as much more content as I think it does

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Behold my works ye mighty and despair

And I'm only on Chapter 1? How many chapters are there? I was iffy on whether it was a "sixty dollar game" or not but now I'm thinking it absolutely is a sixty dollar game if it has even half as much more content as I think it does

5 Chapters and then sort of a "free mode" which is more Minecraft-y. Each chapter starts you off with no base, no upgrades, and no recipes. The recipes and clothing and stuff you get is a mix of some stuff you've seen before and totally new stuff. Each one has different climates that affect what type of materials and thus what type of buildings you can get.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Any MMOs out that aren't WoW, GW2, FF or WoW clones and are actually popular and not godawful?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Twitter :smuggo:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ruggan posted:

Any MMOs out that aren't WoW, GW2, FF or WoW clones and are actually popular and not godawful?

No

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ruggan posted:

No, you have to play good games instead. Sorry. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

burgundy update: doing fine finally

france and i are best friends and right after piece of tr*sh england had their final fantasy tactics war we cleared up their dumb blockade and knocked out like half their armies :cool:

brittany and austria both have no heirs and guess what dapper young prince is set to take all the thrones

also

:twisted:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFGC2isd4cI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

5 Chapters and then sort of a "free mode" which is more Minecraft-y. Each chapter starts you off with no base, no upgrades, and no recipes. The recipes and clothing and stuff you get is a mix of some stuff you've seen before and totally new stuff. Each one has different climates that affect what type of materials and thus what type of buildings you can get.

Hell yeah, that sounds fuckin' great :dance:

Though I think it's a bit bullshit that a game like this has rare drops, I just spent 20 minutes trying to get just one Scorpion Horn and never even got it. :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

I just spent 20 minutes trying to get just one Scorpion Horn and never even got it. :(

Anybody who's ever played a Dragon Quest game is lolling right now

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
for smt:iv a I used the given name and my real name for my streetpass. generally i use the given name in games unless its pokemon. what do you all do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Name all characters goku

• Locked thread