Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Trigger happy at least has the acceptability of having a cute grill shooting poo poo. Theres that at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Even Trigger Happy is a 20% stat boost which actually is great for Mages with the lower MAG cap, then an on command 2 hit Ruinga which pairs well with limited Summon hones.

Yuna also cheats her way in to the White and Summon Nightmares and weird Black/White counters cause the BSB and first command are NAT. (We don't talk about her AoE heal)

It's also Magic guns. And RW-ing it gives everyone the shooting animation. Even Red XIII.

I'd trade Squall's BSB for it, but mostly because I have Bartz' already.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly at this point I'm not pulling out of any need because because I feel like I don't need anything. I just pull on banners I think are cool and/or are for characters I like.

Edit: Like, I have Sentinel's Grimoire, Agrias's Cleansing Strike, Vaan and Faris' BSBs. I think that's enough power and mitigation to clear any content possible forever.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

KataraniSword posted:

I'm pretty sure on-banner relics is actually the same 1% for OSBs as they formerly were for SSBs/are for BSBs.

Off-banner 6* relics are actually a .001% chance, if memory serves, if not lower. I don't remember the exact numbers, just that it's rarer than getting a normal Unique/Super/Burst relic off-banner. So if someone tells you they got a Ragnarok from the Eiko banners, burn the witch

Good to know, since I'll be pulling on the next banner with a 6* relic and I could really use swords for X. I expected 6* drop rates to be lower to incentivize whales to go nuts now that we have G5.

Dr Pepper posted:

Honestly at this point I'm not pulling out of any need because because I feel like I don't need anything. I just pull on banners I think are cool and/or are for characters I like.

Edit: Like, I have Sentinel's Grimoire, Agrias's Cleansing Strike, Vaan and Faris' BSBs. I think that's enough power and mitigation to clear any content possible forever.

I'm pulling based on a combination of overall banner quality and synergy needs at this point. For instance, IX is one of my weaker realms but I have just enough to generally make a workable team (Excalibur, Coral Sword, a Gladius++ and two of Vivi's rods), so I'm skipping the Eiko banners in favor of the Zidane OSB event in January, where the second banner has Hamelin, Trident, and Golden Hairpin but loses the two items I would want the least (and Lightbringer IX, but I'm targeting Excalibur T for my Imperil Holy BSB anyway) in favor of new BSBs for Steiner and Freya and a great new SSB for Garnet.

If I pulled just for characters I like, I'd try to squeeze a pull in on Leo 2 because it has BSBs for two of my favorite characters in the whole series. But VI is my second-best realm already and that event falls in the dead zone of 'desperately try to rebuild the mythril you just blew on Onion Knight before OSB Fest/Minfilia'. So it probably wouldn't be smart unless I get insanely lucky on Larsa, Tidus OSB, and Onion Knight somehow and end up with way more mythril than I expected to have by that point.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Attestant posted:

I really wish people would stop complaining about the BSB's they pull.

I'm always happy when I get one, but I have 2:

Tyro's, which is defensive and gets in the way of him casting wall so I almost never use it,
Aerith's, which to be fair is pretty incredible and was a huge survivability boost for my team

It would be nice to get a DPS one at some point. Tyro's is actually really good when I manage the space to cast it, I almost wish his level 99 materia was start with 2 bars so I could make use of it :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Tyro's, which is defensive and gets in the way of him casting wall so I almost never use it,
Aerith's, which to be fair is pretty incredible and was a huge survivability boost for my team

It would be nice to get a DPS one at some point. Tyro's is actually really good when I manage the space to cast it, I almost wish his level 99 materia was start with 2 bars so I could make use of it :v:
I run him with ace striker + lifesiphon so I can use both :v: Keeper's Tome is really good and makes it so you don't need to cart around proshellga at all.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So what are some of the better mage banners that are coming up soon-ish? I know I want to pull on OK and it sounds like Alphinaud is amazing too, but I've honestly got a pretty ridiculous physical team set up once I gain some more levels and craft / hone some better skills. Meanwhile my mage gear is mostly middling to bad, and I think the only mage BSB I have is Garnet's. Other than that I've got random low +Mag stuff like Shotgun and Sorcercess's Crown, but nothing that seems amazing based on what other people's mage teams look like.

I want to change that, since physical teams definitely aren't ideal for some situations, and I don't want to hit a wall where I need mages and have jack poo poo to work with. Anything coming up that is really heavily mage-focused, or are most of the godly banners people are talking about a good mix of physical / magic gear and I just have to hope I stop pulling swords?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There isn't really a single mage-focused banner, most of the good stuff is pretty interwoven with some physical gear. Some options though, in order or arrival:

-Larsa 1 has a +Lightning armour attached to a strong mage BSB (Ashe), which goes very well with your Dagger of Resolve. Also present on the banner are her SSB (Lightning AoE with a %-based heal), and Penelo's Holy Rod (+Holy healer stat stick).
-Noel 1 has a good chunk of mage gear - Serah's Ice-focused BSB and Raines and Hopes' SSBs (which are more or less just pure hit things hard or hit things harder). The gear there is less splashable however (since it's a bow, light armour and thrown).
-Kain 1 has Edward's MAG+30%/Hastega Harp, Tellah's ATK/MAG and Powerchain buff, and Porom's Curaga+Hastega buff, with the capstone on the banner being Rydia's BSB, which is Earth-themed. Yang is a physical guy but he has an Imperil-Earth SSB on the banner to help out, and Porom gets a ATK/MND/Crit buff SSB on that same banner.
-Squall/Rinoa 2 is actually very mage heavy - the only things on the banners that aren't mage-based are Irvine's guns, and he's a Support so he can still find a spot on a team. Rinoa's OSB and Enstone relic, Quistis' BSB and SSB, and Selphie's BSB/SSB.

Honestly, I'd say Squall/Rinoa 2 is the best bet for pulling lots of mage relics, but it's a couple months away.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 16, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One major Mage Relic I can think of that's coming soon is Maria's BSB. En-Earth (Which will be better with an incoming line of Stone spells, including Chain Stonega). With her burst commands being a Magic version of Thieves Revenge and a unique +MAG/-DEF buff.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So what are some of the better mage banners that are coming up soon-ish? I know I want to pull on OK and it sounds like Alphinaud is amazing too, but I've honestly got a pretty ridiculous physical team set up once I gain some more levels and craft / hone some better skills. Meanwhile my mage gear is mostly middling to bad, and I think the only mage BSB I have is Garnet's. Other than that I've got random low +Mag stuff like Shotgun and Sorcercess's Crown, but nothing that seems amazing based on what other people's mage teams look like.

I want to change that, since physical teams definitely aren't ideal for some situations, and I don't want to hit a wall where I need mages and have jack poo poo to work with. Anything coming up that is really heavily mage-focused, or are most of the godly banners people are talking about a good mix of physical / magic gear and I just have to hope I stop pulling swords?

This is what you're looking for: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/

Even if you don't want to read the whole guide, he goes through all upcoming banners and points out the top ones for great mage stuff.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Tyro's BSB is cool and good, but can be clumsy to use. Ideally you'd want a native boostga / faithga - in this circumstance you can cast the BSB and boost/faithga, RW wall and be pretty much set for mixed mitigation with +300% def and res while still being set for DPS. I've been doing this a fair bit and it works quite nicely, slapping a diaga or summon on my healer for a bit of extra dps if I get some breathing room.

In a perfect world, your healer would be Rosa with her magic blink medica and wrath, running ace striker and allowing you to never be hit by magic

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

This is what you're looking for: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/

Even if you don't want to read the whole guide, he goes through all upcoming banners and points out the top ones for great mage stuff.

Oh wow, that's pretty thorough!

Thanks everyone, definitely gonna keep saving up Mythril now that I have a few things to look forward to.

Also I just realized I have Hope's SSB, and I meant to ask: does it scale off of his Magic of Mind stat? I'm not really sure how holy stuff works with that, since it's typically associated with white magic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Thanks everyone, definitely gonna keep saving up Mythril now that I have a few things to look forward to.

Also I just realized I have Hope's SSB, and I meant to ask: does it scale off of his Magic of Mind stat? I'm not really sure how holy stuff works with that, since it's typically associated with white magic.

Hope's scales off MAG. Pretty much only dedicated white mages get mnd-scaling attacks. I can't even think of any Blk 5/Wht 5 characters that have mnd-based SBs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It scales off MAG.

The game will generally tell you if an attack uses MND by saying it's "White Magic" damage.

Aerith's BSB opener for exampe.

"Deal five white magic holy attacks to all targets..."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm sitting on a small pile of MC1 lodes and hero souls, what would be a good collection of 65 RWs to gather?

I have Dr Mog/Mako, Battleforged/Ace Striker, so something strong to fill the fifth slot with would be nice, or other good utility RWs that I should be picking up regardless.

I've been using Flower of Trabia for farming which is nice, the double Celerity chance buff on Faris occasionally, and otherwise usually Lionheart for tougher bosses or some random 'significantly increases damage' buff, I think I have one for Fists and one for Bows.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

In addition to those listed:

We can expect White Mage and Summon focused nightmare draws in the next few months as well, which will each offer exclusively mage relics for the most part (Beatrix sneaks in on the WhM draw), at the cost of having some dated items in the pool. Still, if your issue is not even having a baseline floornof good stat sticks to work with, it's almost certainly your best bet for a diverse pull.

(Also, Garnet's BSB, Vincent's Shotgun and Edea with Sorceress Crown, plus a support and a healer, is absolutely a solid mage A team. Ideally you replace Vincent with somebody you can draw an en-element B/SSB for, but Edea is a Faithga + Hastega on a mage that can MM+DZ, and the Garnet Burst is perfectly strong enough on a very decent summoner.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

One major Mage Relic I can think of that's coming soon is Maria's BSB. En-Earth (Which will be better with an incoming line of Stone spells, including Chain Stonega). With her burst commands being a Magic version of Thieves Revenge and a unique +MAG/-DEF buff.

Maria's BSB and Rinoa's BSB both benefit from Guy's SSB on the same banner; having an Enelement and an Imperil on the same banner is always a sign of a solid pair of relics. (See also Vivi's BSB and Steiner's good SSB on the second Eiko banner)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

victrix posted:

I'm sitting on a small pile of MC1 lodes and hero souls, what would be a good collection of 65 RWs to gather?

I have Dr Mog/Mako, Battleforged/Ace Striker, so something strong to fill the fifth slot with would be nice, or other good utility RWs that I should be picking up regardless.

I've been using Flower of Trabia for farming which is nice, the double Celerity chance buff on Faris occasionally, and otherwise usually Lionheart for tougher bosses or some random 'significantly increases damage' buff, I think I have one for Fists and one for Bows.

You'll want to start targeting the +20% damage materia.

First off, Ricard's +20% attack (Dragoon's Determination) and Vivi's +20% Mag (Devotion) are uniquely overpowered and haven't been repeated. Both are must grabs, but I'm pretty sure you can get both from realm rewards and then farming for a drop, no lodes needed.

After that, focus on +20%'s for weapon types and schools you use a lot. Decil and Beatrix for swords. Cyan and Sephiroth for Katana. Edgar for Spears. Irvine for Guns. Leila and Locke for daggers. Agrias for Knight. Paine and Celes for Spellblades. Shadow for Ninja. You get the idea. There are more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

Hope's scales off MAG. Pretty much only dedicated white mages get mnd-scaling attacks. I can't even think of any Blk 5/Wht 5 characters that have mnd-based SBs.

The only 5/5 sages other than Tyro are Exdeath, Kuja, Fusoya and Matoya, so other than the pure-buff SBs all of them are MAG-based, yes.

If you were to open access to the ones with just Blk 4 or Summon 5, you have Vanille, Aerith and Yuna.

KataraniSword posted:

Maria's BSB and Rinoa's BSB both benefit from Guy's SSB on the same banner; having an Enelement and an Imperil on the same banner is always a sign of a solid pair of relics. (See also Vivi's BSB and Steiner's good SSB on the second Eiko banner)

Another option is going for Rydia's BSB, since that also has Yang's Imperil-Earth SSB on that same banner. Guy's a bit more useful than Yang though, but Kain 1 is more mage-heavy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

You'll want to start targeting the +20% damage materia.

First off, Ricard's +20% attack (Dragoon's Determination) and Vivi's +20% Mag (Devotion) are uniquely overpowered and haven't been repeated. Both are must grabs, but I'm pretty sure you can get both from realm rewards and then farming for a drop, no lodes needed.

After that, focus on +20%'s for weapon types and schools you use a lot. Decil and Beatrix for swords. Cyan and Sephiroth for Katana. Edgar for Spears. Irvine for Guns. Leila and Locke for daggers. Agrias for Knight. Paine and Celes for Spellblades. Shadow for Ninja. You get the idea. There are more.

"Significantly increases damage" is +20% on weapons and +30% on skill sets, mostly to balance out that the weapon damage boost happens with everything the character does, including basic attacks and SBs. Some SBs are coded right for the +damage (and/or doublecast) procs to kick in, particularly burst commands, but it's pretty rare, most SBs are NAT or PHY.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

"Significantly increases damage" is +20% on weapons and +30% on skill sets, mostly to balance out that the weapon damage boost happens with everything the character does, including basic attacks and SBs. Some SBs are coded right for the +damage (and/or doublecast) procs to kick in, particularly burst commands, but it's pretty rare, most SBs are NAT or PHY.

Yeah, this is correct. Black/Summon/Spellblade bursts in particular tend to be well behaved in this regard. For others it's often a crapshoot.

Anyway, here's a pretty good list rather than my scattershot off the top of my head list.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4ept28/musthave_record_materia/

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ApplesandOranges posted:

The only 5/5 sages other than Tyro are Exdeath, Kuja, Fusoya and Matoya, so other than the pure-buff SBs all of them are MAG-based, yes.

If you were to open access to the ones with just Blk 4 or Summon 5, you have Vanille, Aerith and Yuna.
Selphie also gets Blk 4* (with record dive), and her BSB's attack scales with MND!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Somehow I missed completely they had added Josef's, Leila's, etc MC2s to the Hall. Wonder how long they've been in there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Inge posted:

Tyro's BSB is cool and good, but can be clumsy to use. Ideally you'd want a native boostga / faithga - in this circumstance you can cast the BSB and boost/faithga, RW wall and be pretty much set for mixed mitigation with +300% def and res while still being set for DPS. I've been doing this a fair bit and it works quite nicely, slapping a diaga or summon on my healer for a bit of extra dps if I get some breathing room.

In a perfect world, your healer would be Rosa with her magic blink medica and wrath, running ace striker and allowing you to never be hit by magic

I actually have Rosa's magic blink Medica and took it off for Aerith's burst :s

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

kalensc posted:

For anyone still on the fence about giving this a go, it's quite do-able if you have reasonable gear. Here's what my relevant stats looked like:

Thanks, I used your strategy almost verbatim, though everyone but Yuffie (at 80) was only at 65 and I haven't unlocked some of the RMs. Used Mako/Dr. Mog's for Aerith and Yuffie to let them have (Candle Rod's Mending Flame/Clear Tranquil) charges ready to go, and my Alexander was already R2 so it helped dump an extra 20K after the BSB wore off, which ended up being just enough in the end (along with Swift Bolt hitting ~6K on weakness).

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm pretty much just resolved to never be negative about a pull again, I've got a fuckton of luck debt to pay back from drawing Vaan's BSB on the celerity lucky draw :shobon: I'll be pretty salty if I get nothing for Alphinaud in three Minfilia 1 pulls, but that's about it.

Yep, agreed. I'm due to pull nothing but lovely off-banner generics for at least the next five pulls.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kawalimus posted:

Somehow I missed completely they had added Josef's, Leila's, etc MC2s to the Hall. Wonder how long they've been in there.

They got added with the MC3 batch.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I beat the U+ fight with my level 65 A team :toot: Using the mythril continue made a HUGE difference, even though I rolled the HP bonus and only managed to build up 1 SB bar on everyone before I died. Turns out that was enough to let me bust out SBs continuously through the fight since I would get another bar just in time.

1 mythril for 5 major power orbs is a sweet deal, not to mention the mc3 crystal I won't have the exp to use for months.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hey, does anyone know if the buff from Curilla's BSB doesn't stack with Shout? I see it's both an attack and defense buff so in theory it should but my numbers don't seem to be matching up right for that.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most likely the issue is that you're hitting the ATK soft cap of 590. Beyond that, more ATK still gets you results but at a significantly smaller growth rate (ATK^.5 rather than ATK^1.8).

Also I'm guessing "Curilla" is a romanized version of a name in the Japanese version?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Most likely the issue is that you're hitting the ATK soft cap of 590. Beyond that, more ATK still gets you results but at a significantly smaller growth rate (ATK^.5 rather than ATK^1.8).

Also I'm guessing "Curilla" is a romanized version of a name in the Japanese version?

Nope, it's been the official translation for many years now:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Curilla_V_Mecru

Edit: And yeah, looking you're probably right. I didn't realize how small the base damage on those 4x BSB Attack commands tended to be.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 16, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

LornMarkus posted:

Nope, it's been the official translation for many years now:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Curilla_V_Mecru
That explains it! I've never played FF11 and have paid little attention to much of the details of the JP version, so I was scratching my head about some alternate transliteration of Krile from FF5.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are generic MC3 crystals going to start showing up in most events from now on? I'd really like to get at least one for Luneth's douple XP record, but there's no way in hell I'm beating this U+ undead dragon with level 60-70 characters, no Full Break, bad synergy, and low hones.

Also, is there like a spreadsheet with friend codes or anything? I'd like to clear up my list of people I followed early on and make sure some of the SBs I use most often have more slots.

v--- Awesome! It will probably be a good while before I can actually beat any of them, unless there's an easy gimmick that shows up or something, but at least I don't have to worry about missing out on this one too much.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 16, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Are generic MC3 crystals going to start showing up in most events from now on? I'd really like to get at least one for Luneth's douple XP record, but there's no way in hell I'm beating this U+ undead dragon with level 60-70 characters, no Full Break, bad synergy, and low hones.

Also, is there like a spreadsheet with friend codes or anything? I'd like to clear up my list of people I followed early on and make sure some of the SBs I use most often have more slots.

We'all be getting one per event, so, more or less weekly MC3s.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the catch is that we won't be getting nearly enough eggs to keep up with the crystals.

i got luneth's RM3 but i'm not sure that it was the right decision, it's gonna take an eternity for it to hit breakeven. at the same time, more total exp is more total exp.

Blockhead
Jun 6, 2003

turtle power

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/roamingwarriors/search

This site lets you search for any SB. It's really great. I usually sort by last login and then look for max level, that way you're getting the most up to date geared characters.

Blockhead fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 16, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Prav posted:

the catch is that we won't be getting nearly enough eggs to keep up with the crystals.

i got luneth's RM3 but i'm not sure that it was the right decision, it's gonna take an eternity for it to hit breakeven. at the same time, more total exp is more total exp.

The catch to this is that Luneth is actually decent and if you're going to be pulling for onion knight's BSB anyway then you stand a decent chance of getting Luneth's relic in addition/instead.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prav posted:

The breakeven point at luneths RM is six months of only sundaily. Three months of all dailies.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Blockhead posted:

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/roamingwarriors/search

This site lets you search for any SB. It's really great. I usually sort by last login and then look for max level, that way you're getting the most up to date geared characters.

Perfect, thank you! Man this game has a really awesome community when it comes to creating helpful resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

CaptainPsyko posted:

The breakeven point at luneths RM is six months of only sundaily. Three months of all dailies.

This depends on whether you are using it on a solo character or in a group of several others using the 20% chance of double xp RMs.

• Locked thread