Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I mostly enjoy painting, but not so much when it comes to basing or model prep work and that sort of thing.

The only reason I have a couple thousand pounds points worth of unpainted models in my closet is mould lines. I hate mould lines so god drat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Bolt Action Cross posted from the Historicals thread

Panzer V

StuG

I made an artillery/air spotter using sprue for headphones and greenstuff for a radio.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's been about a month since I posted a big dump of my crimes against good taste and color balance pics of slowly trying to teach myself how to not suck at painting.

Here's where I started back in August:
That post was everything through mid-September.

In the order I painted things:

Painted up some hero units for the trash mob goblins and kobolds.

Some undead I painted up at the FLGS paint night. The mummy was painted by someone who had never painted before and asked if he could try.
I have no excuse for anything else I post.

After spending too long on the orc boss on the left I tried not to spend too much time on the rabble. They don't look great but they do meet the three-color tabletop standard.

Uninspired Medusa.

Grippli. (Not sure what the plural on that one is.) I didn't hit them with much dark wash (mostly on the sea shells) to keep the colors vibrant.

Dragon guy. I tried my hand at making the sword look a bit more magical but I don't think it looks very good.

Koopas. I didn't want to paint them up as generic green turtle-folk. I figure I can spring them on my players as a surprise at the end of an encounter as a blue shell joke.

After spending too much time on the front three compared to how poo poo they looked I decided to just three color standard the rest of them in the back.

I think the bugbears turned out alright. I picked up a couple more washes and a friend told me to base them in a color, then wash, then dry brush so I tried out doing that with the Citadel yellow wash here.

I think the mimic turned out alright, but I my "paint it entirely in metallic" experiment on the rust monster I think looks like crap.

On the intellect devourer I painted the brain purple, added a blue wash, then dry brushed some pink on a couple of times.

The carrion crawler is blue because I picked up some Prussian Blue and I had too many green monsters already.

Goofing off with the color scheme on the ogre, but I was trying to work on the flesh tones.

Finished painting the ettin about an hour ago. It's not going to win a golden demon but I think it looks pretty good. That may be the Dunning-Kruger effect talking though.

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.
Last wip before they're done, cleanup required, blacks to finish and then the lamp and armour chipping.

Apologies for the late night photo.
once these are done I can finally start on my Oath heh.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

(I swear, my phone camera has an uncanny ability to make everything look ugly and messy)

Barrow Warden from Reaper. Still have some minor details to touch up (sword gems, another bronze layer for the hilt, contemplating normal iron or going for a glowing runes effect on the blade, highlights for the skull), but I really like how the armor came out.

I have a rust monster that I intend to give him as a pet (complete with leash :v:) which I'm painting blue and metallic green, so I'm contemplating an orange-grey color brick for the base, thoughts?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 14, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

melonfish posted:

Last wip before they're done, cleanup required, blacks to finish and then the lamp and armour chipping.

Apologies for the late night photo.
once these are done I can finally start on my Oath heh.

These are SO GOOD.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted up a statue for my Skullingrad board out of an old captain model I used to use in 2006:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Guys, layering is hard.

I tried.

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know where I could find a mini that looks sort of like this?

I guess it's quite humanoid looking so I could just buy something and narrow its nose down, but....

[Edit] Ah I think this is probably the closest I'm going to get

https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02222

But if anyone else has suggestions that'd be rad

Y'know what might work well for a Doreen character? An official Doreen miniature. That'd probably work.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Pretty much finished my Dwarf Army and I'm really happy with how it turned out - this is something a cross-post from the Mantic thread:

The whole army

Dwarf King and his guard, Ironwatch Rifles behind.

Berzerker Lord and Berzerker regiment

Stone Priest, Greater Earth Elemental and two hordes of Lesser Earth Elementals

Ranger Captain (Herneas) and Rangers

I swear, the massed formation looks lovely and the next army I do will definitely be along the lines of dry-brushing and washing, as those miniatures I've taken time with don't even really stand out. But, the overall effect IMO is good.

I have got some wound-counters that I'll use spare miniatures on, maybe some kind of scenic base - and then barring complete and abject failure in games I'm calling it done. If I do get my arse kicked seven shades from sunday then I'm going to have to think about cannons, but that'll be all.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JackMann posted:

Y'know what might work well for a Doreen character? An official Doreen miniature. That'd probably work.

Maybe reread his post

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yeast posted:

I guess so! I just wouldn't wish that on someone.

Some people live in places where they can't use an airbrush.

Like me :smith:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Xposting from the 40k thread:
Boston finally has a Warhammer store in Brookline, and today was both launch day and Armies on Parade day. I brought my Heresy Ultramarines and the storied and beaten display board that I used with my Valhallans. It did give me an opportunity to shoot a family photo with the army though:

There were also some other really neat armies on display, like these Necrons with their awesome display board:

These Imperial Fists with frankly amazing skin tones:

Some Dorfs (I think the display board let them down, the models themselves were real nice)

This guy's Tau/Necron display board which still smelled like aerosol. The guy who made it had apparently been up for like 30 hours and was hopped up on ritalin and still had yellow and brown paint all over his hands. Neat idea though:

Some good looking Daemons:

A good looking army of Stormcast:

At the end of the day, everyone in the store got to vote on their favorite army. The Imperial Fists took Bronze, my Ultramarines took silver, and the Necrons took gold! I've gotta hand it to the Necron guy, his army looked good, had an unusual color scheme, and his display board was excellent. I think that's what let me down here, but that just means I've got to do better on my next display board!

There's some models in the cabinets:

And both the Necron guy and I got to display a model in there too!

Finally, I got some cool stuff and brought it home in a Warhammer bag, which my cat got to enjoy:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

mango sentinel posted:

Maybe reread his post

Beg pardon?

I'll admit that my post may have read snarkier than I intended (it's an obscure out-of-production mini, and I didn't mean to imply that they were missing something obvious), but his post just links to a Reaper human mini. The minis I linked are official 50 Fathoms minis that were released years back. It's exactly what he needs, and it doesn't look like he was aware that they existed or could be purchased. I could have written the post better, but I don't see how it isn't helpful.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here was my armies on parade entry. I didn't win anything. I have only recently started on this army and don't have any set piece model to attract attention.

The winner was this amazing Sylvaneth. The creator wins every year at our store.

Second place went to this minotaur army:

Third place went to a World Eaters army:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The bases on your Stormcast are awesome, what did you do for the blue goo? Those Sylvaneth are sick too.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SRM posted:

The bases on your Stormcast are awesome, what did you do for the blue goo? Those Sylvaneth are sick too.

The blue is:

- base black
- two coats of temple guard blue
- drybrush white scar
- glaze guilliman blue
- then finish with water FX after sealing

I also drybrush temple guard blue and a little white around the edges of the water flow to make it appear as if it was glowing. On the board, same thing, except started with a drybrush of mechanicus standard grey for the glow.

I think I've got basing down. Happy with all the bases I've made for things.

With the stormcast, I ended up doing the gold highlights last, after sealing. This was okay, but I'm not sure I'll continue to do it that way. It still looks so much better unsealed. The details on the Liberators are much nicer than the Prosecutors (Although each Prosecutor took about as long as 4 Liberators to finish).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

I think I've got the skin looking a little better. Thinned way the heck down to near a glaze and just did a bunch of really thin layers. Looking much better blended now. Also got the dress mostly done. I'm thinking of maybe taking it a little higher in the highlights, maybe even near white.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished a Leman Russ laser destroyer, and some servitors to go with my Tech Priest

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Pretty much everything done except the flowers. Went up all the way to white on the dress and hair highlights, and got the petticoats painted as well.

Back view as well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That laser destroyer is tight, and JackMann how did you paint that hair? Need to paint some blonde today and don't really know what to go for.

Re: Armies on Parade, are there any rules like the oath thread in they it needs to be painted in a certain time period or can you bring any army you've not enters before? Might finally get around to entering next year.

e: vvv thanks, it looks great!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 16, 2016

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

That laser destroyer is tight, and JackMann how did you paint that hair? Need to paint some blonde today and don't really know what to go for.

Re: Armies on Parade, are there any rules like the oath thread in they it needs to be painted in a certain time period or can you bring any army you've not enters before? Might finally get around to entering next year.

I started with MSP Blond Shadow. I then drybrushed it heavily with MSP Blond Hair. I used some thinned down GW Seraphim Sepia to give it some shadow, then gave it a lighter drybrush with the Blond Hair again. Then I lined bits of it with MSP Linen White, Bleached Linen, and Pure White for the final highlights.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Quick paint question - I've got a Skyraider I want to paint for FoW Vietnam, but the painting guide mentions using a colour called "Whitewash" - which I can't see anywhere. Anyone know of a good match for this?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Grey Hunter posted:

Quick paint question - I've got a Skyraider I want to paint for FoW Vietnam, but the painting guide mentions using a colour called "Whitewash" - which I can't see anywhere. Anyone know of a good match for this?

The FoW site has a tutorial on doing whitewash on tanks: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1736

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ok, how the gently caress do you even deal with GW paint pots? I've always used Vallejo styled dropper bottles, but picked up a GW paint because it had the exact hue I wanted ready in a pot (With no Vallejo suitable equivalent.)

I'm too used to just measuring my paint & water with drops, and meanwhile the GW pots apparently want you to use a spoon or something to scoop it out.

WHO DESIGNED THIS.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I was browsing through my hobby shop
And a clerk walks up and hands me a GW paint pot
"Great colors, paint better"
Maaan, I'm not gonna let you rip me off
I threw it on the ground!

(But seriously you could try just transferring it into an empty dropper bottle.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Attestant posted:

Ok, how the gently caress do you even deal with GW paint pots? I've always used Vallejo styled dropper bottles, but picked up a GW paint because it had the exact hue I wanted ready in a pot (With no Vallejo suitable equivalent.)

I'm too used to just measuring my paint & water with drops, and meanwhile the GW pots apparently want you to use a spoon or something to scoop it out.

WHO DESIGNED THIS.

I believe you're meant to close the pot, shake it up, open it, and use the bit that's stuck to that scoop thing attached to the lid.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Attestant posted:

WHO DESIGNED THIS.

A company that wants your paints to dry out in 2-3 months due to a faulty seal, thus forcing you to purchase another overpriced paint pot.

(But no, Avenging Dentist has the right idea--put it in a dropper bottle ASAP)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So recently I've just been focusing on different aspects of painting, just using crappy Reaper Bones minis I don't care about while I focus on just one thing.

I was working on fading one colour into another on this model, I really like how the bottom half came out but I'm not happy with the top half:

Any suggestions for fading blues and purples?

Originally i did the whole model in Khador Red Base, then went over the middle parts with Sanguine Highlight and Murderous Magenta. Faded that into Beaten Purple. Then I went over the very bottom with a super light Ember Orange highlight.

For the top blue bits, initially I mixed Meredius Blue and Ironhull Gray which gave me a really nice kind of slate blue, but it wasn't the color i was looking for.

Just went over it quickly with Cygnar Blue Highlight and finally Cygnar Blue Base mixed with Black, hoping to really darken it up int a very deep blue but yea -- not pleased with the transition from purples to blues.

Any suggestions?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Attestant posted:

WHO DESIGNED THIS.

You're supposed to use your brush to transfer paint from the pot into your palette. That's how most mini painters I know work. That said, I've personally never gotten the hang of it, having started off using Reaper paint droppers. Like others here, I get empty paint droppers and transfer them over with a funnel.

Sab669 posted:

Any suggestions for fading blues and purples?

So, how exactly have you been doing your fades?

There are basically three suggestions I have. Depending on which you've been using, you can try the other two and see if they work better, or even combine two of them. The first is to mix the two colors together and paint that color in between the two. Maybe even have 3:1 and 1:3 on either side of 1:1 for further blending. The second is to thin your paints until they're near a glaze and apply super thin layers. Like, eight-to-ten parts thinner to one part paint. The third is to try wet blending. Using two brushes, paint one color onto the area from one side, and then use another brush to move the other color into the same area from the other side, mixing them directly on the mini.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hrm, I've mostly just been using very light coats and dry brushing the "mid sections" between colors.

So where it's heavily purple, I'd dry brush very thin amounts of blue on and then just apply paint normally as I work my way up.

Once that "regular" coat dries I go back and hit it a few more times, trying to tidy up the fade; using either color as appropriate.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I believe you're meant to close the pot, shake it up, open it, and use the bit that's stuck to that scoop thing attached to the lid.

I always did that back in the day when GW was the only option. Never thin ur paints.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JackMann posted:

Beg pardon?

I'll admit that my post may have read snarkier than I intended (it's an obscure out-of-production mini, and I didn't mean to imply that they were missing something obvious), but his post just links to a Reaper human mini. The minis I linked are official 50 Fathoms minis that were released years back. It's exactly what he needs, and it doesn't look like he was aware that they existed or could be purchased. I could have written the post better, but I don't see how it isn't helpful.

I somehow goofed and opened his link twice trying to click his and yours. I thought you sent him to the same model he had just linked. My apologies.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

mango sentinel posted:

I somehow goofed and opened his link twice trying to click his and yours. I thought you sent him to the same model he had just linked. My apologies.

No problem. It happens.

Also, finished the Spirit of Spring!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JackMann posted:

No problem. It happens.

Also, finished the Spirit of Spring!

The hair and cloth came out great! Considering the issues you had on your first layering try the skin is understandable, and only egregious on the face (which is a pretty hard place to paint anyways)

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Painted dis devilfish. Have decided to try my hand at blending rather than relying on the lazy edge highlights. So far it is looking kinda neat. Will upload will on that attempt later.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Is this cool or does it belong in the un-inspiration thread?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

rjderouin posted:

If you'd Green Stuff'd some massive tits on them, or painted them by giving them a emulsion bath perhaps. Those look sweet dude. Assuming for Exodites?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

rjderouin posted:

That dude looks pretty cool! Would love to see some closer pictures.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nichol posted:

Painted dis devilfish. Have decided to try my hand at blending rather than relying on the lazy edge highlights. So far it is looking kinda neat. Will upload will on that attempt later.

I know this is not helpful feedback, but for some reason when my eyes scanned past the thumbnail my brain identified it as a photo of doritos. I'm sorry if this ruins your devilfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

If you'd Green Stuff'd some massive tits on them, or painted them by giving them a emulsion bath perhaps. Those look sweet dude. Assuming for Exodites?

They are going to be just some Altaoic who went a bit native. I don't know how far I want to go with the conversions. I am thinking maybe less is more at this point. I will get some squad pictures when the 4 in the background are painted.