Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember it being okay but suffering from the same problem as all of IGA's 3D games, lack of interesting level design and not really having the combat chops to make up for it.

I'm going to go and quote this old rear end quote because Nanobreaker is not okay, it's trash.

The level design goes to garbage the second the game introduces a hokey rear end double jump and expects you to flawlessly use it with the camera that fights you every step of the way. I'd rather the levels had no design and were just straight hallways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I went back to Rise of the 2mb Raider and it's kind of reminding me of a modern day Metal Gear Solid 3, question mark?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Anybody who's ever played a Dragon Quest game is lolling right now

*metal babble runs away*

No! I'm sure that was the one with the armor!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I kinda feel like we're just way too used to the veneer of artificiality cultivated by 24fps movies to ever look at higher options as anything more than a novelty

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Looper posted:

I kinda feel like we're just way too used to the veneer of artificiality cultivated by 24fps movies to ever look at higher options as anything more than a novelty

I think high frame rate films genuinely look bad and it's not a matter of being used to anything. There's too much poo poo for your eye to meaningfully follow and none of it moves naturally. A projected image or a screen isn't the same as seeing something in real life with natural lighting. High frame rate doesn't make things look more real, it makes them look more fake.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hello friends. I am playing the Mega Man games for the first time and all I can do is kill Cutman and then fall off every platform there is. I am very bad at the timing in the platform puzzle things but I know I will eventually get the hang of it and feel like a badass but I hope that happens soon because right now it is a terrible feeling. :(

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

mega man 1 is not very good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Hello friends. I am playing the Mega Man games for the first time and all I can do is kill Cutman and then fall off every platform there is. I am very bad at the timing in the platform puzzle things but I know I will eventually get the hang of it and feel like a badass but I hope that happens soon because right now it is a terrible feeling. :(

The Mega Man games are absurdly difficult. I actually suggest starting with the Mega Man X series. They are still hard as hell but ease you into them much better and their difficulty curve is a lot more fair.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I think high frame rate films genuinely look bad and it's not a matter of being used to anything. There's too much poo poo for your eye to meaningfully follow and none of it moves naturally. A projected image or a screen isn't the same as seeing something in real life with natural lighting. High frame rate doesn't make things look more real, it makes them look more fake.

I'd say it's the opposite. It looks wrong because it looks so real. As someone just said, it's like watching a stage play. The screen disappears and becomes a window. And since it looks real we don't buy it because movies are supposed to look fake.

Watching sports in high frame rate is fine though because that is supposed to be real and we're used to the look of sports being captured on video.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

codenameFANGIO posted:

Megaman one is notoriously difficult.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stexils posted:

mega man 1 is not very good

Yeah it's aged pretty terribly in comparison to every other NES Megaman. The vertical stages are straight up bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hostess with the Moltres posted:

for smt:iv a I used the given name and my real name for my streetpass. generally i use the given name in games unless its pokemon. what do you all do?

hank

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Color Splash is insanely cute

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Get the Magnet Beam asap, and learn to work around the weird gravity physics and get used to not completely stopping when you stop pressing a direction. None of that will make the fortress stages any more fair, though.

for smt:iv a I used the given name and my real name for my streetpass. generally i use the given name in games unless its pokemon. what do you all do?

Depends on the game. Sometimes I'll leave the real name, especially if they're really cool, but usually I just give names that pop into my head or name the main character after me. If you're one of those people who always leave the default name in every game and get annoyed when other people don't, you're lame and probably don't even use the create-a-character options in cool games like Saint's Row.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Every time I play a pokemon game I use a different spelling or abbreviation of my name in it. I like putting "buddy" in the name box too sometimes because it makes all the NPCs sound friendlier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Naming your character something that's not a name for the purposes of making dialogue funnier is my favorite thing to do in RPG's. Something like "huh?" or (as stolen from Game Grumps) "I never".

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never tried that but my assumption is that it'd get old quick? RPGs are real long, I don't think could finish one if I had to untangle a bunch of dialogue

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
naming your protagonist I never or I say or homie or y'know or brah isn't going to make the dialogue harder to parse

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It'd make things ungrammatical sometimes, destroying my immersion

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

I'm going to go and quote this old rear end quote because Nanobreaker is not okay, it's trash.

The level design goes to garbage the second the game introduces a hokey rear end double jump and expects you to flawlessly use it with the camera that fights you every step of the way. I'd rather the levels had no design and were just straight hallways.

Now that I think about it that's probably the point where I stopped playing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

In Training posted:

Anybody who's ever played a Dragon Quest game is lolling right now

Or crying.

Two hundred King Slimes. gently caress you Dragon Quest 8. gently caress you.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/787639249864630273

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Does that mean red dead 2 or what? Bad teaser image rockstar

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad because I have so much good stuff to play through right now (Odin Sphere, Rise of Tomb Raider, Thumper, Rez) yet lately all I've really been doing is playing Overwatch because I want some of those sweet, sweet Halloween goodies.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Does that mean red dead 2 or what? Bad teaser image rockstar

I believe teasing is the point of teaser images.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We do know Red Dead Redemption 2 is in development, but i'm not going to read too much into this.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

I said come in! posted:

We do know Red Dead Redemption 2 is in development, but i'm not going to read too much into this.

Could just be an HD remaster of the first one. Plus they're also remastering Red Dead Revolver. If it's the latter people are gonna be mighty pissed off.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

paint dry posted:

Could just be an HD remaster of the first one. Plus they're also remastering Red Dead Revolver. If it's the latter people are gonna be mighty pissed off.

Wait, they're remastering Revolver? They just released a PS4 port of the PS2 version on PSN so it'd be a dick move to release that and then later rerelease it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Red Dead Revolver turned up on PS4 as a PS2 classic, I dunno if that's the extent of its 'remastering'.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

Wait, they're remastering Revolver? They just released a PS4 port of the PS2 version on PSN so it'd be a dick move to release that and then later rerelease it again.

Ahh yeah sorry that's what I was referring to. I got confused.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheXbone/status/787658944202235904

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd still love this even if it's Red Dead Redemption remastered. When I tried playing that on a PS3 years and years back I couldn't loving doing, it ran so loving minblowingly awful. Just being able to experience the original game running at 60fps instead of 20 would be nice.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

paint dry posted:

I believe teasing is the point of teaser images.

Yeah with like something cool. Not just your company logo on a red background lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When's Max Payne 4

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
did anyone buy the 49 cents scary games bundle from green man gaming? is it just lovely games?
update: yest they are lovely

HotCheetoChallenge fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 16, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'd still love this even if it's Red Dead Redemption remastered. When I tried playing that on a PS3 years and years back I couldn't loving doing, it ran so loving minblowingly awful. Just being able to experience the original game running at 60fps instead of 20 would be nice.

A PC port after all these years :pray:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

When's Max Payne 4

Hopefully never since 3 had an excellent conclusion and Max's character arc is pretty much over and done with.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What if the announcement is going to be Bully 2?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Rad Dad Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Holding out for:

• Locked thread