Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
So...I started up an Expert World with a Softcore character. Currently wearing a Tin Helm and Greaves with a 4 Defense Gi, Warding Flurry Boots, Fleeting Climbing Claws and a Menacing White String. Thankfully, a snow biome was pretty close by and I can reliably get some Ice for Frostburn Arrows, which makes my Tin Bow at least hit for double digit damage pretty reliably. Also had to completely cordon off my Desert with dirt because I'm loving terrified of the Antlion Chargers, though I DO have a reliable perch to snipe at them at, probably gonna do that for a while in hopes of getting a Mandible Blade...also not relishing the idea of fishing...but god drat it I need to, I don't have any other choice to get geared up, let alone get enough food to last me a while.

TL;DR: Expert Mode world kicking my rear end in with steel toed boots, looking to reliably get decent equipment without dying 50 different times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

nevermind i take it back im an idiot

man i love how boreal wood stuff looks

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I had a world start me off in a snow biome once. The biome music has been etched into my brain and I can't get it out.

It's a great track but it plays day and night and I put a lot of time in that world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kemix posted:

So...I started up an Expert World with a Softcore character. Currently wearing a Tin Helm and Greaves with a 4 Defense Gi, Warding Flurry Boots, Fleeting Climbing Claws and a Menacing White String. Thankfully, a snow biome was pretty close by and I can reliably get some Ice for Frostburn Arrows, which makes my Tin Bow at least hit for double digit damage pretty reliably. Also had to completely cordon off my Desert with dirt because I'm loving terrified of the Antlion Chargers, though I DO have a reliable perch to snipe at them at, probably gonna do that for a while in hopes of getting a Mandible Blade...also not relishing the idea of fishing...but god drat it I need to, I don't have any other choice to get geared up, let alone get enough food to last me a while.

TL;DR: Expert Mode world kicking my rear end in with steel toed boots, looking to reliably get decent equipment without dying 50 different times.

Your best option is to dig greedily and dig deep. Get your gold/plat crap, maybe even a demon/tendon bow. Be prepared to wall yourself in and dig if it gets too hot. You could also go fishing but ugh

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

dis astranagant posted:

Your best option is to dig greedily and dig deep. Get your gold/plat crap, maybe even a demon/tendon bow. Be prepared to wall yourself in and dig if it gets too hot. You could also go fishing but ugh

Eh, I will give fishing this, it's a thing pretty much required for potion making and fishing in the Ocean can come up with stuff like the Reaver Shark. But gotta be able to GO THERE first. Thankfully, world hopping is indeed a thing, I just lack mobility items like _____-in-a-bottle items or, god forbid, a lucky pyramid with the magic carpet. The first pyramid I explored only really had the Pharaoh vanity set in it, though this is on a different character. When I read up on what COULD be found in pyramids, I was understandably upset.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

well just spent two and a half hours building more rooms on that igloo base. terraria sure still is terraria all right. feel like i must reiterate: boreal wood, and everything you craft with it, looks amazing. i remember the boreal wood trees not dropping acorns or anything though. i believe i made throwaway worlds to go look for more in order to avoid chopping down all the trees growing in my own world. i want to leave them where they are.

tomorrow i think i will add a tower on the left side to mirror the one already present on the right and dig some holes for monsters to fall into, and add murder holes to the towers in order to fire down upon helpless zombies. may try wiring up a drawbridge. been awhile since i messed with wiring anything.

i keep noticing all kinds of new items and ui tweaks and stuff even just playing in this old world that was generated on a previous version. love how much continued post-release support this game's received. basically three free expansion packs, plus tons of smaller patches/updates. i have over 300 hours in the game at this point. kind of amazing considering i bought it for, i don't remember, $5? $10?

will take more pictures of my cool snow fort later on when i finish all the additions i have planned

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I like that use of fences to put on the tops of the structure. I suppose iron fence would work for a stone or brick building.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
So I finally decided 'to hell with it' and at least farmed a normal world to get Titanium Armor together, since it's what I used for most of the endgame previously and Frost Armor (which I had thrown all my previous Titanium into) just wasn't cutting it. It was surreal having the Twins spawn and taking them out trivially with no arena.

This made a huge difference in fighting the Destroyer back in the Expert world...only for me to get it down to 1/3 health twice and BOTH TIMES a wyvern showed up to completely ruin my dodging pattern because I'm on a small world and my home elevation is high enough that I can fly up into sky spawns by accident quite easily. The wyvern actually got both kills.

Time for Ol' Amish to rethink his strategy again. :corsair:

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013

I'm not sure if you're aware but you can plant acorns in a snow biome and regrow your boreal trees. This is true for any tree, including getting palms out of the desert which is super handy.

After about a month I've finished the moon lord on expert from a fresh start (softcore character, large world.), now I'm at an odd place where I'm not sure what to aim for outside of building super projects. I never really thought I'd get through the content on expert.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

So I finally decided 'to hell with it' and at least farmed a normal world to get Titanium Armor together, since it's what I used for most of the endgame previously and Frost Armor (which I had thrown all my previous Titanium into) just wasn't cutting it. It was surreal having the Twins spawn and taking them out trivially with no arena.

This made a huge difference in fighting the Destroyer back in the Expert world...only for me to get it down to 1/3 health twice and BOTH TIMES a wyvern showed up to completely ruin my dodging pattern because I'm on a small world and my home elevation is high enough that I can fly up into sky spawns by accident quite easily. The wyvern actually got both kills.

destroyer is pitifully easy if you have enough traps. There's a tower you can build with them that basically ruins him to the point you almost don't need to dodge at all.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Morbidmind posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware but you can plant acorns in a snow biome and regrow your boreal trees. This is true for any tree, including getting palms out of the desert which is super handy.

jeez, that IS handy

i was just kind of making assumptions i guess... since i don't remember getting acorns from boreal trees. thanks for the pro tip

Crimson Harvest posted:

I like that use of fences to put on the tops of the structure. I suppose iron fence would work for a stone or brick building.

it's a really nice look for almost no effort

e: vvv I was super stoked when i noticed that light pets have their own place now instead of taking up an accessory slot. i'll actually use them now!

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 13, 2016

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Kemix posted:

Use some clever walling off to dive deep enough into the crimson/corruption to bomb (or sticky bomb) your way into a couple of hearts/orbs. (They can also be broken with hammers) This will give you a chance for some good equipment, such as a firearm or an always on light pet, as well as a chance for a meteor to land in your world. Then sticky bomb/dynamite that. The meteor armor and space gun will easily carry you through the rest of normal mode.

For the destroyer, get a Daedalus Stormbow from hallowed mimics. Make a key of light with souls of light, leave it in a chest, and prepare for a fight. Make some Holy Arrows for it from unicorn horn and pixie dust. Farm a Nimbus Rod from the Angry Nimbus' that spawn when it's raining. Use rope and make a decently large box (large enough to maneuver around the probes that enter it) just under the spawning height for harpies and wyverns. The destroyer should go down in like, 30 seconds, tops.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Yeah that's why I just stopped playing small worlds- parts of them can be so high that you can spawn wyverns at ground level during blood moons, or if you have a surface farm for horns/blindfolds/bandages/etc.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

uhhh... can stuff get retroactively added into older worlds sometimes? i don't remember this antlion pit being here in this world i built my snow base in...

e: boreal trees definitely drop acorns. i've just been wrong about this in pretty much every way haven't i

e2: okay i'm pretty happy with how this turned out

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 14, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any requirement for having the Tinkerer spawn other than beating up an army? I CANNOT find the bastard.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any requirement for having the Tinkerer spawn other than beating up an army? I CANNOT find the bastard.

Nope, that's it. He and the underground merchant are some of the hardest dudes to find sometimes :mad:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Nope, that's it. He and the underground merchant are some of the hardest dudes to find sometimes :mad:

The best way to find him is to fart around in the dungeon imo. Maybe not so great in expert since he'll get owned hard by all the rear end in a top hat skeletons. It becomes a lot easier to find bound npcs if you get the lifeform analyzer.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I thought boumd NPCs didn't take damage until rescued? Once they're rescued though, they'll respawn eventually if they die.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elth posted:

I thought boumd NPCs didn't take damage until rescued? Once they're rescued though, they'll respawn eventually if they die.

Did they change that? Used to be you could listen to their pain noises to know they're off screen.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I'm not sure, I just don't recall ever seeing a bound NPC take damage or die.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Elth posted:

I'm not sure, I just don't recall ever seeing a bound NPC take damage or die.

They do take damage and possibly die. I know that I was once hunting the stylist npc and the spiders were bumping into her and doing damage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They do in fact die, and there are certain weapons you can only get if they die. See the wiki.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They do in fact die, and there are certain weapons you can only get if they die. See the wiki.

The Dye Trader drops the Exotic Scimitar, arguably a weapon you might wanna go out of your way to kill him for early-game. 21 damage plus overhead swinging? Good deal there. Though it's not auto-swing sadly. Though I grabbed a Katana off the Traveling Merchant on my Expert World...after going to a normal world and picking up a few accessories, a Money Trough and used some silt on an Extrationator I had set up on that world for some quick cash and ores...still nowhere near enough for Gold/Platinum armor. Not gonna cheat anymore than I have for my Expert World though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I want nothing to do with actual melee weapons in expert mode. Flails maybe, bullshit hardmode projectile melee definitely but actually smacking dudes with swords just ain't on the menu.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

I want nothing to do with actual melee weapons in expert mode. Flails maybe, bullshit hardmode projectile melee definitely but actually smacking dudes with swords just ain't on the menu.

Yeah, while I still do melee builds in expert mode mostly it's always always always yo-yos.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Might be a dumb question, but are there any mods that let you choose a house/room that NPCs won't move into? Having to relocate every new NPC that moves into my bedroom is getting old.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Outside of mods, and I don't know if there is one for that, your choices would be either having enough space to assign every NPC to where they won't need to take your bedroom, or taking out the table/chair/light/enough background where it isn't valid housing anymore.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Jade Rider posted:

Might be a dumb question, but are there any mods that let you choose a house/room that NPCs won't move into? Having to relocate every new NPC that moves into my bedroom is getting old.

fill it with water

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geomancing posted:

Outside of mods, and I don't know if there is one for that, your choices would be either having enough space to assign every NPC to where they won't need to take your bedroom, or taking out the table/chair/light/enough background where it isn't valid housing anymore.

Doesn't it have to be valid housing for the bed to work as a spawn point?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't it have to be valid housing for the bed to work as a spawn point?

To set as spawn point, yes. To remain a spawn point, no.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

dis astranagant posted:

Oh yea, I also made up a Topaz staff to go with everything. It doesn't do a while lot though, probably should have gone to Ruby or something, but it's an alternative to wasting arrows on slimes and poo poo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A bed doesn't need to be in valid housing, I don't think. It just has to be inside. Which is why I usually set my spawn in an attic-like space, where NPCs can't move in.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Beds need to be in "valid housing." Valid housing is not enough for NPCs to spawn. NPCs need what the game calls "suitable housing" which is valid housing plus light source, table, and chair (which a bed fulfills).

So if your bed room is missing either a light source or a flat surface it's valid housing but not suitable housing and NPCs will never occupy it.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
As an addition to above, you can actually lose your spawn point if crimson/corruption gets too close, because it will make it no longer be valid housing. This will reset it to the middle of the map.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah because of corruption/crimson/hallow spread I basically never don't build my home base like 10-15 blocks above the ground, air-gapped with platforms to get up there :tinfoil:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Which is great unless the hardmode corruption thing goes straight through your house :smith:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah that's why I also always build it basically directly above the midpoint too :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

At least, I assume they still do the whole "stripe of crimson/corruption" and "stripe of hallow" V-shape there it centers below the midpoint of the map still.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I gave up on doing purist Expert and just did a tour of the content on a normal world, since I hadn't seen some of the newer stuff. After bashing my head against Expert for so long it was almost trivially easy by comparison; the only two things I did ANY kind of arena prep for were Martians (built a box in the sky) and the Moon Lord (built a different box in the sky, put honey and a heart statue in it). I did end up just suiting up to tank the Moon Lord, which normally wouldn't be my call, but apparently it's good enough for normal mode, so whatever.

Granted, I switch over only after getting killed in TWO MORE fights with mech-bosses because of Wyverns in Expert. Ground level is just really, really high in that world, I figured out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah because of corruption/crimson/hallow spread I basically never don't build my home base like 10-15 blocks above the ground, air-gapped with platforms to get up there :tinfoil:

I just deliberately spread hallow into my village. It doesn't break the housing and spawns are suppressed by the NPCs like in normal ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, I'm mostly-blindly loving around. So far, I've built a lovely house, died to lava and falling a lot when I try to dig, killed the Eye and Skeletron, and just found an enchanted sword (which helped a ton with Skeletron). I'm mostly just digging and dying and occasionally finding poo poo. I've made it to both oceans (made a small world) and dug pretty far down in one section of the map (lavalavalava).

It's not entirely my jam, but this game is still a fun way to blow off steam for an hour or two at a time.