Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

iospace posted:

JFK won in 1960? :psyduck:

And probably rigged the election in Illinois, yeah.
Newt meant 'had the election stolen (from him).'
LBJ knew how to rig the Texas election, having rigged it to get into the Senate years before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zwabu posted:

And gently caress Alternative Timeline Newt too! All of them!
Newt's research for his alternate history novels involved swapping places with his other universe counterpart.

Somewhere out there is a world where Nixon won and Emperor Gingrich rules from his moon castle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm not sure an election where like, one of your only positives is that your opponent's offices were basically robbed by spies is the one to try to rehabilitate Nixon in, GOP.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hate to tell you this but historically freedom of speech is kind of optional and pretending that actually using it to protect minorities now is gonna hinder them later kind of ignores everything America has been about for the past two hundred years.

Suppressing the freedom of speech in order to try to eliminate authoritarianism, I can't see any way this could possibly backfire. :allears:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Alright, I'd been doing okay keeping up with this thread until the past 24 hours or so. What'd I miss?

This thread could use like a regular 8-hour summary.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

iospace posted:

Ignore Reuters/Ipsos state polls. They're the LAT of state polls. Why? They ask where the person they're polling lives, and once they get enough people to have a :airquote: reasonable :airquote: number for respondents for a state, they release the scraped numbers.

It's a national poll. But yeah I agree. Not all polls are equally.

God drat do I loving hate libertarians.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Agreed, but what do you think about his poll numbers?

:rimshot:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's getting annoying how the Reasonable conservatives are now saying "hey hey Trump calling the election rigged and the media in the tank for his opponent is totally crazy, but by the way the media is really biased in favor of the Democrats and we have to be wary of voter fraud." They are saying the same loving thing as Trump but he's not mincing words so now they have to start doing damage control but even then they have to still say everything is biased against them since they just can't help themselves. gently caress these "moderate" Republicans, they are just as much to blame for Trump as the deplorables. They desperately want to pretend they aren't on the wrong side of history and erase their past but still saying the same stuff that led us here even now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Feldegast42 posted:

America's past history of minority suppression is exactly why I think suppressing free speech is bad. The mechanisms are already there to turn it around a law meant to squelch the KKK to instead be used against BLM, for instance.

I know and my point is that is dumb

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's a national poll. But yeah I agree. Not all polls are equally.

God drat do I loving hate libertarians.

:rimshot:

Yeah, their national poll is fine.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

Suppressing the freedom of speech in order to try to eliminate authoritarianism, I can't see any way this could possibly backfire. :allears:

The Catch-22 is that it's not worth risking a fascist government in order to simply protect the 1st Amendment.

It doesn't matter where you go. These reactionaries all use the same textbook and their definitions of their political beliefs are rigorous in nature. They can't really conceal them because they'd have a really tough time differentiating them from the rest of the lunatics who ran in the primary.

It's simple: If you hold these political beliefs, you are by default ineligible for office. If you're concerned about the legality of this, just look at the kind of barriers open communists had to go through here to get into Washington.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Catch-22 is that it's not worth risking a fascist government in order to simply protect the 1st Amendment.

It doesn't matter where you go. These reactionaries all use the same textbook and their definitions of their political beliefs are rigorous in nature. They can't really conceal them because they'd have a really tough time differentiating them from the rest of the lunatics who ran in the primary.

It's simple: If you hold these political beliefs, you are by default ineligible for office. If you're concerned about the legality of this, just look at the kind of barriers open communists had to go through here to get into Washington.

In a perfect world sure. This world is very much not perfect. It would get exploited

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

VanSandman posted:

And probably rigged the election in Illinois, yeah.
Newt meant 'had the election stolen (from him).'
LBJ knew how to rig the Texas election, having rigged it to get into the Senate years before.

E: Nevermind, I see that you accounted for both Illinois and Texas

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Friend, if you are patterning your proposed ideological suppression scheme after the Red Scare and expect this to be a point in its favor, boy, I don't know what to tell you.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

In a perfect world sure. This world is very much not perfect. It would get exploited

I think the idealists are right this one time. The realists who are going around saying "well if Trump gets elected all of these checks on power will stop him from doing awful things" or "maybe in hindsight he may not even believe in what he said" are all dead wrong.

Quorum posted:

Friend, if you are patterning your proposed ideological suppression scheme after the Red Scare and expect this to be a point in its favor, boy, I don't know what to tell you.

It being legal but not convincing is both necessary and sufficient.

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 16, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has this story seen any traction yet?

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/6/1578544/-The-Untold-Story-of-Trump-Model-Management-A-Daily-Kos-Exclusive-Part-1

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If you want to another an idea you have to let it grow outside its natural bounds and then it will be obliterated by the root, this is what Taoism prescribes.

The problem with this approach is it requires a baseline faith in humanity, which can be a trial in itself at times.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Groovelord Neato posted:

right but i mean this is the natural evolution of the strategy.

No, all this Trump poo poo is an explicit devolution of the Southern Strategy. An evolution would be to find another whistle for some new and exotic animal that all the racists would hear while the moderates go blissfully about their business of FYGM. Trump not only regressed back to just this side of yelling actual racist epitaphs, but he went and expanded the list of things being whistled about from "The Blacks" to virtually everything not Male, White, and Straight.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I think the idealists are right this one time. The realists who are going around saying "well if Trump gets elected all of these checks on power will stop him from doing awful things" or "maybe in hindsight he may not even believe in what he said" are all dead wrong.
If idealism means abandoning the First Amendment because you don't trust Americans to make the right choices but somehow think our system will be able to outright ban all the bad political ideas and only have good ones, then idealism as a concept is dead and sign me up for some realpolitik.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Catch-22 is that it's not worth risking an anti-cop government in order to simply protect the 1st Amendment.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Catch-22 is that it's not worth risking a anti-white government in order to simply protect the 1st Amendment.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Catch-22 is that it's not worth risking an atheist government in order to simply protect the 1st Amendment.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Catch-22 is that it's not worth risking a pacifist government in order to simply protect the 1st Amendment.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Catch-22 is that it's not worth risking blasphemy in order to simply protect the 1st Amendment.

A nation that requires authoritarian suppression of fascism in order to keep it out of power is a nation that is inevitably going to see that suppression turned towards disadvantaged groups. If that sort of poo poo ever makes it through... well, I won't be around to witness it-but I hope the fauxleft fuckers who advocated for it are first against the wall the moment it turns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Can you abandon something you never really had.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gyges posted:

No, all this Trump poo poo is an explicit devolution of the Southern Strategy. An evolution would be to find another whistle for some new and exotic animal that all the racists would hear while the moderates go blissfully about their business of FYGM. Trump not only regressed back to just this side of yelling actual racist epitaphs, but he went and expanded the list of things being whistled about from "The Blacks" to virtually everything not Male, White, and Straight.

evolution sometimes reverts to older forms.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Anyone else surprised by how much media play the "Trump says elections are rigged" is getting? I expected them to maybe latch onto some wikileaks thing, but seems like a really bad idea to giving credibility...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Geoff Peterson posted:

A nation that requires authoritarian suppression of fascism in order to keep it out of power is a nation that is inevitably going to see that suppression turned towards disadvantaged groups. If that sort of poo poo ever makes it through... well, I won't be around to witness it-but I hope the fauxleft fuckers who advocated for it are first against the wall the moment it turns.

AmericanLeft.txt.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Law should be prescribed to prevent the worst case scenario for a situation, if people saying things you don't agree with fall into that category that your own words aren't counter enough, the moral failing is no longer contained to words.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gyges posted:

Funny enough, LGBTQ rights have not played a major role in this campaign like they have in the past two.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

It being legal but not convincing is both necessary and sufficient.

He who fights authoritarians should take care that he himself does not become an authoritarian. And if you gaze too long into fascism, fascism gazes also into you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

iospace posted:

Ignore Reuters/Ipsos state polls. They're the LAT of state polls. Why? They ask where the person they're polling lives, and once they get enough people to have a :airquote: reasonable :airquote: number for respondents for a state, they release the scraped numbers.

No, they have a gigantic national sample which is fine. The issue is that they take that national sample and break it down by state, then just release those as state polls regardless of if there are 500 people polled in that state or 40. Nationally they're way beyond minimum sample size, state to state they tend to be drastically below even the most lose definition of minimum sample size.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I used to read this thread really diligently. Usually Trumps meltdowns are quite funny and interesting. But nowadays it's just frustrating. There is nothing funny about sexual assault. Nothing!
I just want this to be over now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So, they don't actually link emails directly, which pissed me off (a republican friend of mine who will probably vote johnson but is 100% on the "Livia did it" theme of the past 30 years of attacks on Hillary linked it, and he's a good friend so I want to read things and talk to him about things), but here's the pertinent bits of the article:

I tried cutting out the most hand-wavy bits, and most of the emails seem to be by her staff. But they reference things without direct quotes like it's common knowledge - of COURSE the staffers talked directly in emails about evading a subpoena, that's what people DO over official, recorded channels! It just makes me :ughh: that all this handwavey bullshit is enough to make good people genuinely hate Clinton.

So a full length article pointing out that republicans exist and will always hate the Clintons?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Stop everything, guys! Crowder has some hot poo poo going on!!

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/787685328136142848

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

speng31b posted:

Anyone else surprised by how much media play the "Trump says elections are rigged" is getting? I expected them to maybe latch onto some wikileaks thing, but seems like a really bad idea to giving credibility...

From what I've been hearing/reading, the media's general take on Trump's "rigged election" talk has been "this is a crazy conspiracy theory that is potentially dangerous to our democracy".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DaveWoo posted:

From what I've been hearing/reading, the media's general take on Trump's "rigged election" talk has been "this is a crazy conspiracy theory that is potentially dangerous to our democracy".

"Also a sign he's a weak, whining pissbaby when he's losing." That's the other prominent take.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gyges posted:

No, they have a gigantic national sample which is fine. The issue is that they take that national sample and break it down by state, then just release those as state polls regardless of if there are 500 people polled in that state or 40. Nationally they're way beyond minimum sample size, state to state they tend to be drastically below even the most lose definition of minimum sample size.

As I said upthread, the national poll is fine. Or every other post really where I talk about that specific poll, saying the national is fine but the states are not.

Anyway:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/663060849662296064

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I ... don't think so. I mean, they kinda killed most of them for one reason or another.

I more meant one not from the Despotic Roman perspective.

Still, I've got my British Museum book on Celts.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Feldegast42 posted:

Free speech zones are unconstitutional bullshit trash and the last time they were used widespread was during the Bush administration for suppressing Iraq War protesters. Not exactly a glowing badge of recommendation.
Leiter's argument - which, as I've said, I disagree with - partially rests on the observation that you already have, and always have had, free speech zones. Everything outside of courtrooms and schools is the free speech zone.
Granted, it's a pretty big zone, and it doesn't have that unflattering name, but that's the situation.

Feldegast42 posted:

There is no way to restrict hate speech without it blowing back in your face. The best way is to stop it is to expose it and then destroy it in the court of public opinion. Of course the media has been poo poo at doing it this cycle but that's their fault and they should know better.
Another of Leiter's arguments: "It's the media's fault" will not actually help you when the sea levels have finally risen enough to swallow NY.

I'm not really motivated much to play devil's advocate here. If you actually want to see the case against free speech as made by someone smarter than everyone here, check out the draft I linked to.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

speng31b posted:

No because it makes him look to the white populace like a straight up wingnut. This isnt any different then any of his other views but views that hit the white populace - assaulting women, that the government is rigged and revolution - are not ok.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

If idealism means abandoning the First Amendment because you don't trust Americans to make the right choices but somehow think our system will be able to outright ban all the bad political ideas and only have good ones, then idealism as a concept is dead and sign me up for some realpolitik.

The US government, quite frequently, holds interests that are contrary to the consensus of public opinion. It depends on your views on vanguard politics. As for realpolitik, it led Europe into WW1. In their quest to solidify their own power by procuring arms, merely saw war as inevitable.

Quorum posted:

He who fights authoritarians should take care that he himself does not become an authoritarian. And if you gaze too long into fascism, fascism gazes also into you.

Geoff Peterson posted:

These beliefs are barely constituted by the thought that the extreme left and the extreme right, by nature of extremity, have the same tendencies. Only an privileged centrist who made his life out of avoiding getting called out for his beliefs actually believes this.

You can have contradictory views that flip both left and right to mislead the public, but they are not realist ones in any sense. You just have an ideology with filter applied to it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kro-Bar posted:

Stop everything, guys! Crowder has some hot poo poo going on!!

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/787685328136142848

...am I the only person who hadn't noticed he was wearing a tie until now?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Anos posted:

Proof of everything she has been accused of. Must be a very long and extensive article.
May already have been posted, but if you haven't seen it, Alexandra Petri's latest, The Hideous, Diabolical Truth About Hillary Clinton is pretty on point about this:

quote:

2012: Hillary Clinton deliberately orchestrates even MORE murders and treasons this year, most prominently in Benghazi. This is also the year when she pens numerous smoking-gun emails, explaining her deep loathing for the American people, desire to ruin the country, complete incompetence in making deals, deathly illness, inability to get anything done, the fact that everything that has transpired in the United States in her lifetime has been the result of her ingenious and diabolical schemes, and how these statements are not contradictory. Unfortunately, she deletes these VERY carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AceOfFlames posted:

...am I the only person who hadn't noticed he was wearing a tie until now?

I'm surprised since one of the big "draws" of Ken Bone was the always touted fact he was wearing a white tie with a white shirt.

• Locked thread