Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The fiat has a larger trunk due to the extra length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Deteriorata posted:

It is surprising how different the cars are despite coming off the same assembly line and sharing most of the same parts. They will have rather different appeals and neither is clearly "better" than the other by any objective criteria. They're just alternate takes on the concept. The Fiat connected with me in a way the Mazda never did.

I was considering a miata last year, but something about the Abarth really resonates with me.
I like the look and daydreaming about this car makes my heart go all pitty pat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ2csVvmwuY

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This kind of slipped under my radar, but Hyundai is going to sell a sport model of their new Elantra with a 200hp 1.6l turbo 4 and a choice of 6MT or 7 speed DCT. Winding Road posted videos of them scooting around some streets in a DCT version, and a manual version on a short autocross course. Hyundai also replaced the torsion beam rear end with a multi-link setup.

The interior isn't a swoopy mess anymore either.

I am strangely intrigued by this car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
None of the Fiata Miata fight matters because the Fiata is ugly.

Actually the ND Miata is ugly too but slightly less so.

It's Trump v Clinton all over again

blk fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 16, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mental Hospitality posted:

This kind of slipped under my radar, but Hyundai is going to sell a sport model of their new Elantra with a 200hp 1.6l turbo 4 and a choice of 6MT or 7 speed DCT. Winding Road posted videos of them scooting around some streets in a DCT version, and a manual version on a short autocross course. Hyundai also replaced the torsion beam rear end with a multi-link setup.

I've never driven a Hyundai that didn't have an awful shifter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

blk posted:

No, Clinton v Trump is like a slightly disappointing Miata versus a gold-vinyl-wrapped 600,000-mile Aztek running on three cylinders previously owned by a dog-owning family with hereditary motion sickness and also it rapes you when you get in.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

No, Clinton v Trump is like a slightly disappointing Miata versus a gold-vinyl-wrapped 600,000-mile Aztek running on three cylinders previously owned by a dog-owning family with hereditary motion sickness and also it rapes you when you get in.

Hillary isn't THAT sick.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wrar posted:

I test drove a Veloster a few years ago with the 6-speed and didn't mind it. I remember liking the throw better than my Mazda6 at the time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

blk posted:

Miata fanboys shouldn't get too smug. Without the Fiat investment the ND probably wouldn't have happened.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dissss posted:

This should surprise absolutely no one but as it turns out very small capacity turbos aren't all they're cracked up to be: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-paris-engines-exclusive-idUSKBN12E11K

Leaving emissions aside in my own experience the little TSI Golfs and turbo Cruze and similar can't get even close to their test economy figures in real world usage, whereas my larger Mazda with a larger n/a engine is pretty much spot on.

This is one of the best things I've heard in ages.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Deteriorata posted:

Miata fanboys shouldn't get too smug. Without the Fiat investment the ND probably wouldn't have happened.

Have you posted a picture of your new thingy yet, or what?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BloodBag posted:

Have you posted a picture of your boxspring on bedframe looking car yet, or are you just gonna spew bullshit all day?

Yes, I did, over in the Post Your Ride thread. I'll repost it here just for you!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The chrome windshield surround is just so off putting. I wonder if someone will make body colored vinyl to wrap it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mental Hospitality posted:

You've been able to get a Kia Forte with the 1.6l and the 6 speed for years. It's just not very good.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/forte-koup/2014/2014-kia-forte-koup-sx-t-gdi-first-test/

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The chrome windshield surround is just so off putting. I wonder if someone will make body colored vinyl to wrap it.

:same: I don't like this car at all. Sorry dude. Bench race with the ND all day long, it's still not as pretty to me. Opinions are like assholes, etc. etc.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

dissss posted:

Leaving emissions aside in my own experience the little TSI Golfs and turbo Cruze and similar can't get even close to their test economy figures in real world usage

yea shocking

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

All the other trim levels have it in black, which is fine.

I drove one of these at the auto show last week, but it was an automatic. Still, it was very nice and I hope they sell a lot of them (they won't, my local dealer is already offering $1700 off sticker).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheGoatTrick posted:

All the other trim levels have it in black, which is fine.

I drove one of these at the auto show last week, but it was an automatic. Still, it was very nice and I hope they sell a lot of them (they won't, my local dealer is already offering $1700 off sticker).

Classica = body-colored surround
Lusso = silver
Abarth = black

Manuals are as rare as hens' teeth and are being sold at a premium. They can't give the automatics away.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Deteriorata posted:

Manuals are as rare as hens' teeth and are being sold at a premium. They can't give the automatics away.
My local dealer has 5x more inventory than any other dealer I've seen for some reason. But they've got 3 manuals right now with that discount and a manual Abarth that I'm tempted to go check out.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Wrar posted:

The B&M short throw is really nice. Shifts way better than my 2007 350z. The tuned 1.6L will get to 250-260whp pretty easy.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

You've been able to get a Kia Forte with the 1.6l and the 6 speed for years. It's just not very good.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/forte-koup/2014/2014-kia-forte-koup-sx-t-gdi-first-test/

Horsepower is limited by ecu for 1000 mile break in and early models had 173whp and new r-spec velosters are getting 190whp. So I'd imagine a 2014 review is not the best case scenario.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Payne: How Fiat saved Mazda’s Miata

quote:

Thanks goodness for the Fiata.

In partnering with Mazda’s MX-5 Miata to resurrect the classic Fiat 124 Spider — thus the nickname “Fiata” — Fiat Chrysler not only gained a halo sports car for its struggling Italian brand, but likely saved the most celebrated small sports car of the past 25 years.

“The possibility exists that without our partnership with FCA, there may not have been a business case to produce the fourth-generation MX-5 Miata,” says Robert Davis, Mazda’s senior vice president of U.S. operations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well anyway back to cars people like, Mercedes truck is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnGHGvwJfE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That Batman music is the lamest, cringiest, fart-smellingest poo poo ever.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sagebrush posted:

That Batman music is the lamest, cringiest, fart-smellingest poo poo ever.

but enough about luxury SUV/truck drivers

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Proud Christian Mom posted:

but enough about luxury SUV/truck drivers

Say what you want...they're loving comfortable.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
New Camaro ZL1 running around the ring in 7:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFnrcpBj5k

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

blk posted:

I hated the ND initially but it's grown on me quite a lot to the point where I quite like it.

The Fiat is still as ugly as it was when I first saw it. The old one is prettier.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I hated the ND initially but it's grown on me quite a lot to the point where I quite like it.

The Fiat is still as ugly as it was when I first saw it. The old one is prettier.

De gustibus non disputandum est

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Deteriorata posted:

De gustibus non disputandum est

sed tamen ego sum non iniuriam

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you tarted up the new one with a couple grand worth of lights, a works-esque paint job and some decent wide wheels with flares it would look better, too.

I do agree that the original 124 SS has very nice lines and the front of the new one is a bizarre corporate redo of an iconic face.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's here guys

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Take it back

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
The thread title should be "Read about a new car you hate? Bitch about it here, in the news thread!"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So how much of this is Mercedes and how much of it is Nissan?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

It's here guys

I like it?

That is intentionally a question. I'm unsure.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KakerMix posted:

So how much of this is Mercedes and how much of it is Nissan?

Too much.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

:stare: Wow. I... don't even... wow. It even looks as if it's in pain.

At the same time, I'm not gonna be surprised if they have trouble meeting demand for that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh, that's going to be very popular around here. Very popular indeed...