Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

corn on the cop posted:

knew i was going to enjoy this one when i read the title

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

corn on the cop posted:

knew i was going to enjoy this one when i read the title

He's dating Peggy Hill

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

He probably met that girl at some MENSA meetup

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

"my girlfriend has this tiny flaw where she believes herself to be superior to all other life forms"

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
That girl sounds insufferable. Opportunities to justifiably shatter delusional people's realities don't come around often. He should capitalize on this, it is clearly a gift from the heavens.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I feel bad for the girl. When I was a teenager I had a superiority/inferiority complex about my intellect and got the ever-loving poo poo kicked out of me, rightfully so. It looks like this woman is going through something similar. No matter what form it takes the hammer is going to drop on her very hard and absolutely no one is going to have any sympathy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Being smart has never been half as helpful as good social skills.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Being smart has never been half as helpful as good social skills.

That's what all the morons say :colbert:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
if you hold significant value to your IQ score you're probably not an intelligent person

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

That's what all the morons say :colbert:

True, the smart people remember to include the gerund "having" for parallelism.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

I feel bad for the girl. When I was a teenager I had a superiority/inferiority complex about my intellect and got the ever-loving poo poo kicked out of me, rightfully so. It looks like this woman is going through something similar. No matter what form it takes the hammer is going to drop on her very hard and absolutely no one is going to have any sympathy.

I fell into that same trap too. When you're like 14-15 and a bunch of tests from the magic science men tell you you're in some top percentile of the population it's easy to start believing in your own superiority. And the only real cure for it is for everyone around you to drop your ego-inflated rear end like the dead weight it is. It absolutely sucks at the time because of course you're just oh so smart and all the normal apes around you will never understand but you come out a better person at the other end.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

I had a friend like that in high school. Anytime somebody appeared smarter than him, got a higher grade, did better on the ACT, etc., he would have to justify it to everyone and make sure everyone knew the multitude of reasons why he wasn't the best. She got the scholarship because her mom knows the chancellor/his dad is a history teacher and helped him study but I had to study alone/she must have graded it wrong.

What was funny is that he wasn't unusually smart either. He had a high GPA in high school and college but he couldn't necessarily apply it to real life situations.

Worldshatter posted:

I fell into that same trap too. When you're like 14-15 and a bunch of tests from the magic science men tell you you're in some top percentile of the population it's easy to start believing in your own superiority. And the only real cure for it is for everyone around you to drop your ego-inflated rear end like the dead weight it is. It absolutely sucks at the time because of course you're just oh so smart and all the normal apes around you will never understand but you come out a better person at the other end.

I was the opposite. School testing and teachers taught me that I was naturally dumb as gently caress and bound to fail at anything that required mental skills. I got older and realized that the teachers were bitter and the classes were just boring.

Those two above statements made for a real fun time when I made a higher score than him on the ACT.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 16, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Worldshatter posted:

Most people will get over themselves when they run headfirst into the real world and realize they are not the Nietzschean ubermensch they thought they were. It sounds like the lady in this post has already run into that wall (having failed several courses) and just doubled down to protect her ego. She deserves whatever she has coming.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Worldshatter posted:

I feel bad because this girl is in her early 20s, doesn't have a driver's license, and having trouble in University classes. When the bottom falls out she's going to get hurt a hell of a lot worse than a hormonal 16 year-old living at home with far fewer people willing to help her pick up the pieces. You kind-of expect that ego redefinition when someone is a teenager; when they're in their 20s no one gives a gently caress and she's going to have to work fast food for a few years just to break even. It's justifiable karma, I suppose, but in a way as tragic as someone falling into drugs or crime.

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

What was funny is that he wasn't unusually smart either. He had a high GPA in high school and college but he couldn't necessarily apply it to real life situations.
Well yeah he was insecure because he knows he's got poo poo-all to bring to the table except his "potential" so that's all he leans on. You need a combination of social and practical skills to get anywhere in life and he was smart enough to know that but not disciplined enough to do anything about it. I'm speaking from experience-- that's an ironically specialized layer of hell.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

My husband (37) throws trash on me (33)
submitted an hour ago by TrashWoman444

We've been together 11 years, married 3.

He has thrown trash on me in the past and I've told him it bothers me and to stop.

This morning he kept doing it and I told him very calmly "please stop putting trash on me". He told me it's what I deserve.

He kept doing it and I said calmly "don't put trash on me. It's disrespectful." He laughed at me and kept doing it.

Then he threw trash and it went past me and he said "oops I missed I was trying to hit you."

I got up and left the room And picked up all the trash to throw it away. While I was in the kitchen I could hear him in the living room laughing to himself, saying "I don't care."

I don't know what to do.

Tldr: my husband puts trash on me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cc5lylgn5g

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

"Submitted by trashwoman444"

Well, we've discovered every possible fetish. We're going to have to start mixing them together.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't feel any sympathy for the guy with the otaku gf because he's loving 30. He chose this. (And she's what, 24?)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sometimes when i'm like 'hey we need to take out the trash' my husband does a dramatic sigh and goes 'okaaay' and pretends to climb into the can

i also do it

it's funny when you don't hurt your partner or their feelings

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I don't feel any sympathy for the guy with the otaku gf because he's loving 30. He chose this. (And she's what, 24?)
He thinks like a giant manchild just in a different way. Also appears to have no self awareness about his thoughts.

It's no surprise he's with a 24 year old weeb.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Snoo posted:

sometimes when i'm like 'hey we need to take out the trash' my husband does a dramatic sigh and goes 'okaaay' and pretends to climb into the can

i also do it

This is cute and funny.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Snoo posted:

i also do it

Lol

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That's another thing that seems to happen by and large with the spectrum of nerds. They get told how "smart" they are as children and coast on the notion until they get to highschool and realize they're utterly average and it causes a massive identity crisis and they wind up sucking at everything forever after. No, I haven't been around these types of people many times before, why do you ask?

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Mobile is acting up for me but didn't it say they've also been together for like I years?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mind the walrus posted:

I feel bad because this girl is in her early 20s, doesn't have a driver's license, and having trouble in University classes. When the bottom falls out she's going to get hurt a hell of a lot worse than a hormonal 16 year-old living at home with far fewer people willing to help her pick up the pieces. You kind-of expect that ego redefinition when someone is a teenager; when they're in their 20s no one gives a gently caress and she's going to have to work fast food for a few years just to break even. It's justifiable karma, I suppose, but in a way as tragic as someone falling into drugs or crime.

Well yeah he was insecure because he knows he's got poo poo-all to bring to the table except his "potential" so that's all he leans on. You need a combination of social and practical skills to get anywhere in life and he was smart enough to know that but not disciplined enough to do anything about it. I'm speaking from experience-- that's an ironically specialized layer of hell.

She was probably coddled by her parents into learned helplessness.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Parents are the worst.
Children are the worst.
Girlfriends/Boyfriends are the worst.
Husbands/Wives are the worst.
Friends are also the worst.

That's what this thread has taught me.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Hell is other people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Parents are the worst.
Children are the worst.
Girlfriends/Boyfriends are the worst.
Husbands/Wives are the worst.
Friends are also the worst.

That's what this thread has taught me.

Reciprocal altruism works well in small groups of primates but we no longer live in a society where it is obviously beneficial, and a lot of people have lost faith in it as an approach.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
im fortunate enough that i went to a competitive school district and had my ego and self-confidence completely destroyed by high school

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Life is much easier once you realize that everyone is garbage, including you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

No, you have to have faith that a lot of people aren't garbage. You got to give them a chance. And then yeah, some will be garbage. Those you have to let go. The ones who aren't garbage will be loyal, and you should be loyal in return.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I've been through some poo poo, and all I can tell you is this:

Ignore everything people say, and pay attention to what they do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In all my time on this earth I've learned one thing;

Mo' money, mo' problems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My (21F) pregnant sister (22F) punched me in the head. Mother (39 F) thinks I am in the wrong.

quote:

I will try to keep this as short as possible. Names changed for privacy.

Sister: Bertha Mother: Hilda

So this happened a couple weeks ago. I am currently living with my parents so that way I can save money while going to school and working full time. They actually suggested it to me and it seemed like a good idea at the time. My sister lives with her husband and is 18 weeks pregnant. Me, my mom, dad, and boyfriend, 22M Bob, moved the last little bit of furniture and boxes a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday. Once we were done Bob and I went to get food from a take out place in town. We had a fight that really is not important to that story and decided it was best to cool off so I went to my room when we came back and he went on a walk. Well my parents and sister decided they needed to know all the details so I ranted about what was going on and they claimed I did not love him since I fought with him and I am a loser living with my parents. So I got pissed and told them gently caress it I will move out then and went upstairs.

This is when things got stupid and ridiculous. My mom comes in the room and want to talk to me. I told her I need space that I am too mad to talk and to give me space. Well she decides she does not want to and just keeps screaming at me. I got really anxious and told her if she will not let me leave I will leave through the window. I just wanted out even though leaving through the window probably was not the smartest decision. She is still screaming at me saying I am going to kill myself, out of 2 story window with a shed not even a foot away from my window but whatever. I start to leave through the window because I got anxious and scared. Again not the smartest but hey cannot change that now. Well my sister Bertha decided that she wanted to pull me out of the window by my hair. I already have a bad back and that hurt like a mother fucker. So I pushed her onto my bed and tried to leave through my door because I finally had a clear path. That is when my mom grabbed me to stop me and my sister starts punching me in the head over and over again. So I try to get her off me and my mom grabs my neck to get me "off" of her. So then my mom has my neck and my sister starts to smother me with her hands. I still do not know why she decided to do that but I bit the poo poo out of her hands to get away and after I did that she kicked and hit me some more. I quickly grabbed my purse with my phone got my keys and ran.

So after all this they claim I started the attacking and was punching her. I took pictures of my bruises and how my hands were not even bruised from any punching. They finally admitted that Bertha started the attacking but claimed it was for "my own good". I told both my parents I want nothing to do with her. She is abusive she has always hit me. Well my mom does not like that. She says I need therapy and that I am a violent person. She has gone back and forth on whether she is going to kick me out. Told me I am a hateful person and tried to get Bob to break up with me. Told me Bob's parents hate me and cry at the thought of us getting married. Told me that my Grandfather hates me now.

Thankfully a lot of what she said about Bob's parents were a lie and Bob is on my side and protecting me. But I am worried I did actually gently caress up. Do I need therapy because I got angry enough to want to leave? Should I have let her hit me and not touched her since she is pregnant? What makes things worse in my opinion is they told me not to go to the doctor when I had signs of concussion saying I was either going to be put in a psych ward or to jail. Yet they took Bertha to the hospital to check the bite. Now my symptoms are worsening and I am going to the doctor to get it checked. My mom says it is due to stress and lack of sleep not due to being punched in the head repeatedly. I have headaches every day, my short-term memory is poo poo right now, and I get dizzy every now and then.

What should I do? I am really confused.

tl;dr: My sister hit me and my mom is making it seem like I will go to jail or psych ward if I get medical attention. What should I do?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
jesus christ :(

some people are just conditioned to take so much poo poo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah I'm really sad now :(

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
Speaking of super depressing r/relationships, is it possible to get a cache of posts on reddit?

There is a brutal post (https://m.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4nj9ni/i_34m_am_a_recovering_alcoholic_who_has_been/4nj9ni) where a dude throws up in his nephew's coffin and I feel like it hasn't ever been posted in one of these topics, but the original post was deleted.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:stare: jesus gently caress this took a turn for the depressing. Jeep set a new high watermark.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah I'm really sad now :(

Will farts cheer you up? Because farts are destroying several relationships.

quote:

My [25 M] wife [25 F] of 4 years gets angry whenever I fart. (This is a relatively light post.)
I don't think there's anything medically wrong with me, I just fart sometimes, usually when I'm not paying attention. My wife - who has yet to fart in front of me - gets upset whenever this happens. Today she asked me to leave the room when I have to fart because she thinks it's repulsive and doesn't want to hear it. She accused me of doing it on purpose. Sometimes I fart in my sleep and she wakes me up to scold me for it. She wants me to get out of bed and go to the bathroom to fart. How am I supposed to even know that's about to happen?? I'm sleeping!

I realize this sounds like I made it up, but I didn't. She's a southern girl, raised to be proper and polite and I'm a northeastern "redneck." I have a very gross family that jokes about farting, boogers, sex and all kinds of things that make her very uncomfortable. I don't want her to lighten up, I just want her to be less angry with me when I have a normal bodily function.

Is this normal? Am I overreacting? I just don't like when she's upset with me. I admittedly laugh when she freaks out about this and that makes it worse.

tl;dr: Wife is proper, I'm disgusting and "troll-like" according to her, she gets angry when I fart.

quote:

I [25F] am getting upset at how much my boyfriend [24M] farts and it is causing issues with us

quote:

My [M, 21] girlfriends [F, 22] farts are the worst I have ever smelled and she doesn't seem to bother.

quote:

My [m28] girlfriend [f27] farts A LOT during sex. She's awesome in every other way though. Help?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jeep posted:

Speaking of super depressing r/relationships, is it possible to get a cache of posts on reddit?

There is a brutal post (https://m.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4nj9ni/i_34m_am_a_recovering_alcoholic_who_has_been/4nj9ni) where a dude throws up in his nephew's coffin and I feel like it hasn't ever been posted in one of these topics, but the original post was deleted.

You can try archivers like archive.org, google cache, and such. I've certainly failed before - apparently there was one where a guy asked his girl if he could buy some ferrets, she said firmly no, and he did it anyway. He bought them anyway, brought them home, she was pissed and posted on reddit. They told her to make him return them, and she said she couldn't do that, because they'd charge a 20% restocking fee, and that would be stealing. Sadly the thread is lost to time.