Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MourningView posted:

Oregon going to boring rear end Les-ball would be awful

Yeah, and considering the main complaints of Helf besides lack of defense are QB development and time management, ehhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Oregon needs to focus on defense, just promote Hoke to HC and let him do his thing

I'd say that's the least believable thing to happen but Will Muschamp is a head coach* so welp.

*in the SEC East no less.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Gotta think somebody is going to try to get NDSU's coach this offseason, especially since he's kept it going at NDSU while Bohl has flailed at Wyoming. So it's easy to buy that he was the source of their success all along.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

With Nike/Papé money how quickly could we write a check to get the field turf replaced? Can we pull the same trick we used with the north side of the stadium? "Hey Phil we decided to gift you the field, it's in pretty bad shape you might need to hire some landscapers..." We do have a bye week coming up :tinfoil:

If we're going to go that route I'd much rather replace the turf with some unnatural color so Beau Baldwin will feel more at home

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

Oregon going to boring rear end Les-ball would be awful

Or really, really funny.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

Or really, really funny.

Les HC, Cam Cameron OC, Hoke remains DC. Phil Knight's head explodes and Oregon becomes a Russell Athletic school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Or really, really funny.

We need more fun teams not fewer!

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Gotta think somebody is going to try to get NDSU's coach this offseason, especially since he's kept it going at NDSU while Bohl has flailed at Wyoming. So it's easy to buy that he was the source of their success all along.

I'm already thinking about who Houston should hire and this dude might work, I don't know.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thoguh posted:

Wyoming is 4-2 right now with losses @ Nebraska and Eastern Michigan; they'll likely finish with a winning record

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Kiffin could do the Oregon thing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Greg Byrne was asked about RichRod supposedly being on the hot seat:

quote:

“From time to time I’ve been asked some ridiculous questions about the media. I think that one just went to the top of the list.”

so that answers that

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

Real Name Grover posted:

Wyoming is 4-2 right now with losses @ Nebraska and Eastern Michigan; they'll likely finish with a winning record
Not exactly something to be proud of (I say this as a fan of the team that has lost to eastern Michigan).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

momtartin posted:

Not exactly something to be proud of (I say this as a fan of the team that has lost to eastern Michigan).

I think the point is that Wyoming is close to bowl eligibility, which is tangible progress after going 2-10 and 4-8 the past two years. That probably buys Bohl a longer leash than he might've had before the season, and certainly gives him reason to stick around and keep building on that progress.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Eastern Michigan is making a bowl this year, haters

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

They'll beat Miami and should beat Ball State but 6 wins in the MAC isn't a guaranteed bowl bid.

Granted it might be now that there are more bowl games but there have been a few times 6 and 7 win MAC teams got snubbed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

Greg Byrne was asked about RichRod supposedly being on the hot seat:

so that answers that

I have actually only heard one singular fan speculate about what's going on with Arizona right now being his fault, and it's the guy who yells loudly "C'MON THAT'S HOLDING!" almost every single play.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

hopefully the Bahamas Bowl, aka the best possible bowl

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Alaois posted:

That would be amazing, it would be 3 years of Directional U (and all represented, no less!) in Nassau

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

They'll beat Miami and should beat Ball State but 6 wins in the MAC isn't a guaranteed bowl bid.

Granted it might be now that there are more bowl games but there have been a few times 6 and 7 win MAC teams got snubbed.

That used to be the case, but since the extra bowls were added we're now having to dip into the 5-7 teams to fill spots. Get to six wins and making a bowl is all but guaranteed now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

On one hand that would be the best way to end a long bowl drought and I'd be very happy. On the other they are kinda boring and it'd wreck the streak of Bahamas Bowls being super fun shootouts, which I have really enjoyed

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
A Twitter guy says Darrell Hazell is out at Purdue. Every agent representing a MAC head coach just grinned spontaneously.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yep, this was inevitable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I still can't believe he didn't get fired after last year. That has to be pretty close to the worst non-Northwestern stretch anyone in the conference has ever had

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MourningView posted:

I still can't believe he didn't get fired after last year. That has to be pretty close to the worst non-Northwestern stretch anyone in the conference has ever had

Didn't he have some ridiculous buyout that they couldn't actually afford until now?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

A Twitter guy says Darrell Hazell is out at Purdue. Every agent representing a MAC head coach just grinned spontaneously.

Not so sure about that latter part. Purdue is about as dead end as it gets these days.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It was like $4.5 million which would suck but TV is bringing in so much money I have a hard time believing they couldn't have afforded it. Although let's also stop and laugh at them giving him any sort of significant buyout based on one good MAC season

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's also exactly 1 coach worth pursuing out of the MAC right now and Fleck assuredly has better suitors than Purdue

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Not so sure about that latter part. Purdue is about as dead end as it gets these days.

I mean depends on how high they aim. Fleck isn't taking that job, but anyone else is probably in play, though I agree I don't think any of the others are worth hiring (although Chris Creighton!!). I don't think they're gonna go that route again anyway. A retread like Miles or Pelini seems a lot more likely

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Here's the names Tom Dienhart spitballed in a column he likely had in the hopper for a few weeks

quote:

Some names you’ll probably hear for the job include Illinois State’s Brock Spack, Western Michigan’s P.J. Fleck, ex-LSU coach Les Miles, Cal’s Sonny Dykes, Louisiana-Lafayette coach Mark Hudspeth, Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, South Florida’s Willie Taggart and Western Kentucky coach Jeff Brohm, among others.

Yep, Lane in Lafayette

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Bring back Tiller

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hire orton

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Honestly, they will have trouble getting any "proven" head coach on the phone. They handled Danny Hope so poorly and then have had their dirty laundry being aired for weeks.

Money isn't an object, the Athletic Department has been giving B1G money back to the universities general fund for years, and believe it or not, I know more than one wealthy alum that was more than happy to kick in last year. They all love DH as a person, but HATE him as a football coach.

I think they will try to replicate the Tiller transition, where he brought his entire staff with him from Wyoming, to try and hit the ground running. The ex-players I know are all pretty happy with Parker being the interim, he's nothing at all like Hazell

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Real Name Grover posted:

Here's the names Tom Dienhart spitballed in a column he likely had in the hopper for a few weeks

Yep, Lane in Lafayette

I'm more interested in Sonny Dykes, like, is he assuming Dykes will be fired or does he think Purdue can poach a head coach from a P5 school?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Does Purdue have anything in the way of facilities either?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

They are building all new $20-30 million expansion to the training facility. I think it will be ready next year.

EDIT: It was just steel girders yesterday.

wernox fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 16, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

I mean depends on how high they aim. Fleck isn't taking that job, but anyone else is probably in play, though I agree I don't think any of the others are worth hiring (although Chris Creighton!!). I don't think they're gonna go that route again anyway. A retread like Miles or Pelini seems a lot more likely

Calling Miles and Pelini retreads, while technically true, seems a bit harsh

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Purdue should hire Cam Cameron

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Yep, Lane in Lafayette

Purdue isn't a job anyone with big-time aspirations is going to take. Fleck can do better, as can Les Miles. I think Dykes has settled his beef with Cal but who knows. Lane also isn't taking that job, and Taggart/Brohm can hold out for a better gig.

As noted, Purdue has money, they just have to be willing to spend it. And considering how bad they've been, you need a coach who's going to be willing to build a program effectively from the ground up.

Two names I'll probably be laughed at for mentioning: Coastal Carolina HC Joe Mogila (former TD Ameritrade CEO, not a bad idea to let him build), or if Purdue wants P5 coaching experience, Schiano. If he can get Rutgers to respectable he should be able to do the same at Purdue.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I can see purdue getting some up and comer from FCS, maybe one of the Sun Belt's guys if there's anyone there worth taking but I don't know who's who there.

Les and Fleck can and will go to far better programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I can say this much, there have been quite a few Purdue coaches in my 47 years on this earth. I was really excited when they hired Hazell and I remember thinking that Joe Tiller was the worst hire in the history of the school the night they lost to Toledo in his opening game as head coach....I will let the experts do their job, I'm just glad Morgan Burke and his incredible, intergalactic hard-on for all things Ohio State won't be the driving force behind the search.

• Locked thread