Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Am i crazy or can the new faction just not build watchtowers at all besides the pearl ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You are not crazy. The Morgawr don't get access to the tech that gives roads, which also includes watchtowers.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well poo poo lol

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yup. So it's pearl towers or bust for them.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
So with the new expansion, would anyone be up for giving MP another shot?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Somehow i have towers. Maybe gotta get tier 3 tech instead of 2?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Yep, they can still get highway outposts in era 3.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Avasculous posted:

So with the new expansion, would anyone be up for giving MP another shot?

Timing might be tough being in Australia but I'd be well keen. Dominating the AI only gets you so far.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I still go back to ES more often than EL. It's just really relaxing to sit back and watch the numbers go up.

ES1 just felt so chill early game; the interface just made it a pleasant breeze to go through the motions of early expansion. Now to see how ES2 holds up...

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
AI Morgawr seem to be surprisingly crazy on Endless difficulty -- they've already taken over like 75% of the world's ocean (60% of the world is ocean) by the start of Era 4, and they've expanded better than expected. Their income in resources was more than two orders of magnitude above the rest of the Endless AI, and even after I kicked them off my continent, conquering all but one of their cities (on an island that I had no chance whatsoever of getting to) and taking a bunch of their sea fortresses in the peace deal, they're still hovering around third in score another era later. If they hadn't tied so much production into producing sea units, I wouldn't have been able to conquer them at all, I think; or, if they had a continent or archipelago to themselves, they would've just ran away with the game with their absurd income, as it would've been impossible to fight them with their overwhelming naval superiority.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 15, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah naval fortresses are key. Its a way to have mostly safe income while you wage a land war against other factions. Its a tough balance though because on land they are kinda lil bitches lol

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I just got into EL and I can't tell if I'm doing well? I'm playing on easy and my 'score' at each turn seems to be #1 or #2, but I've been beaten to every legendary building I've tried to build. Also no idea how many cities I should be trying to have at Era 3.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

BitterAvatar posted:

So I just got into EL and I can't tell if I'm doing well? I'm playing on easy and my 'score' at each turn seems to be #1 or #2, but I've been beaten to every legendary building I've tried to build. Also no idea how many cities I should be trying to have at Era 3.

Exactly 1 if you play as the Cultists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Fuckdammit, EL (with new expansion) crashes out when I try to launch it with no message. Gets past the logo-bits, starts loading, and then shuts down. :negative:

Edit: oh, this may be a solved problem with Windows 10 and some vcredist confusion.

Double edit: nope :argh:

Triple edit: well, replacing alllll my Visual C++ installations and my .Net installation and restarting the computer did it.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 16, 2016

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So I just won a game as Sophons in ES2 and enjoyed it even though it was obviously missing a bunch of things. Maybe you guys know the answer to a couple questions?

1. What tech era is supposed to be the final one, tech level IV? V? There were several anomalies that I wasn't able to explore nor planets I could colonize so there should be at least one more.

2. Sometimes, when a colony was formed but died on starvation it becomes impossible to both colonize the planet yourself or to send ground troops to take the thing. Is this a bug? Similarly, when you take a planet by invasion, it seems the influence ring from the original owner is still there?

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Chocolate Chunk posted:

So I just won a game as Sophons in ES2 and enjoyed it even though it was obviously missing a bunch of things. Maybe you guys know the answer to a couple questions?

1. What tech era is supposed to be the final one, tech level IV? V? There were several anomalies that I wasn't able to explore nor planets I could colonize so there should be at least one more.

2. Sometimes, when a colony was formed but died on starvation it becomes impossible to both colonize the planet yourself or to send ground troops to take the thing. Is this a bug? Similarly, when you take a planet by invasion, it seems the influence ring from the original owner is still there?

There will likely be at least 6 tech eras in the final game, if EL is anything to go by. Influence rings are definitely currently bugged, and will remain until a civilisation is completely wiped out. I haven't encountered the starvation issue, but that is also almost certainly a bug.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Chocolate Chunk posted:

Probably TL VI. That's the final era in Endless Legend, which ES2 seems to be taking a lot of cues from.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chocolate Chunk posted:

1. V will be the final one. III-V are not implemented yet.

2. Starvation definitely seems to be a bug. I believe the latter is intentional (the ring will dissipate over time, but it represents that there's a population still friendly to the old empire remaining.)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Is there an Endless Legend for dummies primer somewhere?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Is there an Endless Legend for dummies primer somewhere?

I used this guide which is more multiplayer focused but still applies to a lot of stuff: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635764665

There's also the official forums, they had a bunch of how-to guides for EL but think they got deleted when they updated. Still there's some guides on there as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just got the Endless Legend and I ran through the tutorial and messed around with the game a bit.
I think I understand roughly how the game works but I am wondering something.

When should I focus on food and when should I focus on industry?
I don't need detailed explanation, just a general answer will do. The only reason I'm asking is because that was the biggest thing I kept fiddling with while playing so far.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
So I've got several hundred hours in Endless Space and Endless Legend, and am decently familiar with the games. To anyone who's played the early access for ES2, what's up with the forced peace people are talking about? It sounds like the poo poo the drakken can pull in EL, but is it actually available to every race in ES2? That sounds infuriating.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

So I've got several hundred hours in Endless Space and Endless Legend, and am decently familiar with the games. To anyone who's played the early access for ES2, what's up with the forced peace people are talking about? It sounds like the poo poo the drakken can pull in EL, but is it actually available to every race in ES2? That sounds infuriating.

Wars just end after so long long, and the loser is assigned a Tribute to the winner (Dust/Turn).

I really like the idea, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I don't need detailed explanation, just a general answer will do. The only reason I'm asking is because that was the biggest thing I kept fiddling with while playing so far.

Specifically, you want to focus on food when you want to grow your city or prevent it from starving. Early on, you want to grow your city ASAP while also keeping your people at least content. Never let your people drop below content and always do your best to keep your people as close to 100% happiness as possible. Other than that, you tend to want to focus on Industry and Dust.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I just got the Endless Legend and I ran through the tutorial and messed around with the game a bit.
I think I understand roughly how the game works but I am wondering something.

I'm a micromanager but I tend to juggle around my pops to get the best result in all areas (sometimes I'll throw one or more in science if it reduces the current research by a turn), the exception is if I'm gunning for a particular building, then industry all-in.

In newly established cities it's better to focus on food for a little while and try to have the dust handy to buy all your essential buildings straight away. Food buildings are a buyout priority obviously, you want to bring the cities up to a decent pop (8 or more) as quick as you can. Some races get food stockpiles (necros from killing chumps) and you should save them for dumping on new cities too.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Paradox games had a forced peace for a while now. It checks if there has been combat/sieges in a time frame and then just forces peace, reasoning that neither side can hurt the other.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rygar201 posted:

Wars just end after so long long, and the loser is assigned a Tribute to the winner (Dust/Turn).

I really like the idea, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Apparently it's a placeholder until diplomacy gets more fleshed out.

The general idea though is that wars shouldn't last forever by default and that wars of elimination should be rare.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's basically like a Paradox game where after so long it gives both sides a score and the loser pays a tribute. If you've played Stellaris recently it's very similar to the war score from that.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Is there a reason my Influence production seems to zero when I'm at war as the Morgwar? Clearly some negative buffs are being applied, but I can't figure out where they're coming from. It's happened when I'm fighting the Drakken and Cult, if that helps.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Clarste posted:

Apparently it's a placeholder until diplomacy gets more fleshed out.

The general idea though is that wars shouldn't last forever by default and that wars of elimination should be rare.

I feel like they're going to have some work to do to square this with the Cravers. It's going to be fun watching this develop through EA. Hopefully the fan input doesn't lead to any really stupid poo poo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah, it's hard to justify a truce with an alien race that intends to literally eat everyone in the galaxy. Same thing with migration... no I am not interested in having any of you guys living on my planet, eating everything in sight.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

Yeah, it's hard to justify a truce with an alien race that intends to literally eat everyone in the galaxy. Same thing with migration... no I am not interested in having any of you guys living on my planet, eating everything in sight.

There needs to be a exterminate pop type option. This could tie into the political system, which could be amusing. I want to see pacifists and ecologists arguing over the ethics of Craver extermination

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Chomp8645 posted:

Sure I guess. I didn't play either in their EA days. But I am offended at the notion of someone playing "the poo poo out of" that turd ES and then dropping EL, an infinitely better game, after an hour or whatever.

Aren't you the one who thought Stellaris was as bad as Beyond Earth on release? :ironicat:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Beamed posted:

Aren't you the one who thought Stellaris was as bad as Beyond Earth on release? :ironicat:

Chomp has awful games opinions, it is known.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

uber_stoat posted:

Yeah, it's hard to justify a truce with an alien race that intends to literally eat everyone in the galaxy.

I don't really like this interpretation of the Cravers. Like, Cravers need to constantly expand in order to deal with unique aspects of their population pressure, which logically means expanding to include the furthest reaches of the universe they can get to, but that doesn't mean that their intent at any given moment in time is in line with the long-term implications of their philosophy. They're still thinking, sentient beings, capable of decision making that is or is not rational.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Cravers already gain a very significant FIDSI income boost for the presence of other aliens on their planets, more than enough to offset the depletion penalty. Clearly, the most optimal path for this race of murderously-hungry space locust cyborgs is as a multicultural utopia run by a pacifist senate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hiveminded posted:

Cravers already gain a very significant FIDSI income boost for the presence of other aliens on their planets, more than enough to offset the depletion penalty. Clearly, the most optimal path for this race of murderously-hungry space locust cyborgs is as a multicultural utopia run by a pacifist senate.

Hey, the Cravers are a hive mind - not an extreme one, but they do have some shared consciousness/thinking going. Seems actually pretty appropriate for a species that thinks that way to be big on multiculturalism and many coming together as one.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Beamed posted:

Id agree with that assessment. Beyond Earth wasn't great by any means but at least it wasn't completely tedious to play a game to completion.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the official wiki lore dump describes Cravers as really nasty buggers and states that 2/3rds of them are basically nonsentient killing machines. their special trait enslaves and works to death any aliens unlucky enough to live on a Craver controlled planet. whenever an individual Craver is described as having interests beyond just feeding the Hive or killing poo poo, it's because it had its brain upgraded by Dust exposure.

Cravers: Not Even Once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When you see the loading screen of the cravers, you see the humans inside the pits to be snatched up by the cravers.
They probably just replace the humans they work to death with another one from the pit.